D3 Mens Lacrosse

Who will win the National Championship?

Tufts
69%
Salisbury
31%

Total votes: 72

The12lov3

Re: Who will win the National Championship?

Post by The12lov3 »

LaxFan1991 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:12 pm Tufts is the definition of classless, spoon fed and stuck up people. But they will definitely win.
Dude what is up with that? Clearly you have no idea about the Tufts community and the values they try install upon their students. To make generalization like that is everything that is wrong in the world.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Bigdawg69 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:52 pm Which is why in my original post I said we will be having the discussion about it, not automatically crowning them
Yes they can be talked about :lol:

Nazareth 92, 96
Salisbury 95, 99, 04, 05, 07, 08, 12
Middlebury 01, 02
Tufts 15, Tufts 23 (presumably)
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Leonard Washington wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:19 pm
Bigdawg69 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:52 pm Which is why in my original post I said we will be having the discussion about it, not automatically crowning them

Nazareth 92, 96
Middlebury 01, 02
I think the '17 Salisbury team is in the conversation as well.
Leonard Washington

Nosey Ned wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:04 pm I think the '17 Salisbury team is in the conversation as well.
Possibly, just not from my point of view.

Too many close games against "average" competition that year. Solid team, but definitely not in my top 5 of Salisbury teams
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
ClaudeHenrySmoott

Post by ClaudeHenrySmoott »

Leonard Washington wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:28 pm
Nosey Ned wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:04 pm I think the '17 Salisbury team is in the conversation as well.
Possibly, just not from my point of view.

Too many close games against "average" competition that year. Solid team, but definitely not in my top 5 of Salisbury teams
I’d take the SSU ‘94 team and well. 21-2 at Naz and Naz was number 2 in the country. Then dominated the playoff games and waxed Hobart on their way out the door to D1.
Leonard Washington

ClaudeHenrySmoott wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:46 pm I’d take the SSU ‘94 team and well. 21-2 at Naz and Naz was number 2 in the country. Then dominated the playoff games and waxed Hobart on their way out the door to D1.
Absolutely an Honorable Mention in my book.

Not sure how Noke kept it that close with them as they (Roanoke) were "handled" by Nazareth with ease in 94. OWU game was interesting that year as well.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

My gut says tufts by 5. But honestly would not be surprised by anything. I can see this game being close, but wouldn’t be surprised to see a rout either way. Both have shown signs of being elite. Both have shown signs of allowing runs.
EasternShoreLaxGuy

Post by EasternShoreLaxGuy »

Truthfully cannot wait for this matchup after seeing how many Tufts supporters there are this year. They are scary/fun to watch when they're allowed to play how they want but to act like this game is already over is very interesting. A lot of people will look to last years game after tufts beat SU 17-10 as a reference point but Salisbury is not the same team. They reloaded on defense with freshman that are getting better by the week. SU's defense is better than RIT's and RIT held Tufts to 15 (with a 4 goal Spurt in about a minute). No doubt Tufts is going to score, but I don't see them being allowed to play as fast. The coaching aspect is where things get interesting. Obviously if the over hits than you would probably say Tufts wins but if it doesn't, the game is Salisbury's to lose. If any coach can make this game a 6v6 ball game its Berkman. On paper it looks like Tufts is head and shoulders better than everyone because when they get going they don't stop. I'd encourage everyone to go watch Salisbury's last few weeks of lacrosse. They control the game by controlling the ball (Most times without controlling the face-off). This is why scores aren't 20-12 and instead they are 12-7 (And I don't think they've played that well!). I think teams get worn out by Tufts because of the depth but I don't think they've seen a team as deep as Salisbury this year, O mids and d mids can run and cut down transition. While I don't think SU has seen a #28, #41, #27, or #23 this year, I know that Tufts hasn't seen a #22, #17, #56, or #11 all year. Lastly, I hope the game (no matter what the outcome) is decided by the teams and not the refs who I feel can get caught up in the moment and want it to be as close as possible.

These are my opinions because I'm afraid some of you guys aren't gonna watch with how your talking in this thread. I hope this can get you fired up as a fan instead of being bombarded by highlight videos (Which are sick) that convince you a team is untouchable.
Leonard Washington

Salisbury plus hero ball equals loss

Have to spread the wealth on offense and move it one more if/when they win their initial matchup
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Watching both sides roll Cabrini this year, I was more impressed with the Jumbos. Might be due to seeing them play the Cavs side for the first time ever. IDK. But sheesh, the ball movement, the athleticism, pick your poison matchups, length on defense. The one thing that struck me though, is watching the Tufts coaching staff. Engaged as they were, there is clearly a framework implemented and then they just roll the ball out. I'd be shocked if they adjust much from RIT to the Gulls. Coach Berkman has the kind of mind that allows him to absorb the nuance and capitalize on adjustments, before, during, and in-between games. He's so present and aware. I'm not saying there's much of anything to exploit across the Tufts side, but if there is, that guy will see it.

Hoping for a competitive contest. Admire both universities and programs. Excited to see how they match-up.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

EasternShoreLaxGuy wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:54 pm Truthfully cannot wait for this matchup after seeing how many Tufts supporters there are this year. They are scary/fun to watch when they're allowed to play how they want but to act like this game is already over is very interesting. A lot of people will look to last years game after tufts beat SU 17-10 as a reference point but Salisbury is not the same team. They reloaded on defense with freshman that are getting better by the week. SU's defense is better than RIT's and RIT held Tufts to 15 (with a 4 goal Spurt in about a minute). No doubt Tufts is going to score, but I don't see them being allowed to play as fast. The coaching aspect is where things get interesting. Obviously if the over hits than you would probably say Tufts wins but if it doesn't, the game is Salisbury's to lose. If any coach can make this game a 6v6 ball game its Berkman. On paper it looks like Tufts is head and shoulders better than everyone because when they get going they don't stop. I'd encourage everyone to go watch Salisbury's last few weeks of lacrosse. They control the game by controlling the ball (Most times without controlling the face-off). This is why scores aren't 20-12 and instead they are 12-7 (And I don't think they've played that well!). I think teams get worn out by Tufts because of the depth but I don't think they've seen a team as deep as Salisbury this year, O mids and d mids can run and cut down transition. While I don't think SU has seen a #28, #41, #27, or #23 this year, I know that Tufts hasn't seen a #22, #17, #56, or #11 all year. Lastly, I hope the game (no matter what the outcome) is decided by the teams and not the refs who I feel can get caught up in the moment and want it to be as close as possible.

These are my opinions because I'm afraid some of you guys aren't gonna watch with how your talking in this thread. I hope this can get you fired up as a fan instead of being bombarded by highlight videos (Which are sick) that convince you a team is untouchable.
You are right that it is anyones game. I think one thing that you are forgetting is that Salisbury has not played anyone nearly as dynamic and athletic as Tufts. If you look at the stats in the RIT game, Tufts dominated every aspect of the game against an an unreal RIT team. They took 22 more shots, turned the ball over less, caused 7 failed clears, had 9 more ground balls and dominated face-offs. These stats are reflective of the amount of pressure Tufts puts on the ball carrier. RIT tried to slow the game down multiple times but the pressure that Tufts put on them resulted in either a turnover or RIT having to take a poor angle shot with no time left on the shot clock. Like I said, it is anyone's game but I don't think Salisbury is going to be able to slow this game down as much as they would like. Hard to do when you constantly getting pressure.

Team Statistics
Team Total
SHOTS
Rochester Inst. 39
Tufts 61

SAVES
Rochester Inst. 15
Tufts 13
TURNOVERS
Rochester Inst. 24
Tufts 20
CLEARS
Rochester Inst. 26-33
Tufts 24-26
GROUND BALLS
Rochester Inst. 31
Tufts 40
FACE OFFS
Rochester Inst. 11
Tufts 19
EXTRA MAN OPPORTUNITIES
Rochester Inst. 0-1 0-0 0-0 0-1 0-2
Tufts 0-0 0-2 1-1 0-1 1-4
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

The “unreal RIT team” you mentioned lost two game this season. Both games they lost 15-11.

They lost to Tufts on Sunday and they lost to CNU (the team SU beat three times this season).

So while SU didn’t play Tufts, they still played a challenging schedule as is consistent across the history of the program.

As a Gull fan, definitely nervous about this one as Tufts can go on runs and wins at the face off dot. The last couple of games, SU defense is worn down in the second half, they need to go at least 50-50 at the face off to be in this and keep the defense refreshed throughout. Worried that Tufts could go on a quick spurt like they did in the second quarter and the game could be out of reach from there (the rest of the RIT-Tufts game was fairly even).
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Jknows wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:21 am The “unreal RIT team” you mentioned lost two game this season. Both games they lost 15-11.

They lost to Tufts on Sunday and they lost to CNU (the team SU beat three times this season).

So while SU didn’t play Tufts, they still played a challenging schedule as is consistent across the history of the program.

As a Gull fan, definitely nervous about this one as Tufts can go on runs and wins at the face off dot. The last couple of games, SU defense is worn down in the second half, they need to go at least 50-50 at the face off to be in this and keep the defense refreshed throughout. Worried that Tufts could go on a quick spurt like they did in the second quarter and the game could be out of reach from there (the rest of the RIT-Tufts game was fairly even).
RIT is still the defending 2x NC winner and could just as easily won on Sunday. Salisbury lost to Gettysburg so not sure of the point you are trying to make. Team lose all the time which does not necessarily diminish how good they are. Look at the 2023 Bruins, 2023 Celtics (down 3-0), 2023 Bucks - unreal teams that had a lapses and lost. RIT was impressive the other day and a lose to Tufts and CNU does not diminish what they have accomplish just like Salisbury loss to Gettysburg does not diminish their accomplishments. I am sure they are an unreal team and fun to watch.

In addition, I never said that Salisbury did not play a challenging schedule. What I did say was that they have not played anyone as dynamic and athletic as this years Jumbos. That is a fact. I also pointed out that Salisbury does have a chance at winning but it will take a solid game plan and perfect execution.
Last edited by The12lov3 on Tue May 23, 2023 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
RamsFan

Post by RamsFan »

Jknows wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:21 am The last couple of games, SU defense is worn down in the second half, they need to go at least 50-50 at the face off to be in this and keep the defense refreshed throughout.
Unfortunately for the gulls, Tufts has only been sub- 50/50 at the X one time this season. It was against Cabrini, who they still beat by 17. And it looks like their #1 fogo was 11-2 before they put the backups in.
Leonard Washington

Amherst (game #1), Conn College (game #1), RIT (to an extent) and Williams all had success against Tufts this year. Doing it for the full 60 minutes is another story though.

Salisbury is going to get out shot, whether they want to or not. Goalie play has to be around the same as Tufts, face offs have to be respectable (40-50%) and clearing should be clean and up 80s (more like low 90s) for a legit shot

Haven't had a chance to watch Amherst and Conn College games but look forward to doing so
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:01 am Amherst (game #1), Conn College (game #1), RIT (to an extent) and Williams all had success against Tufts this year. Doing it for the full 60 minutes is another story though.

Salisbury is going to get out shot, whether they want to or not. Goalie play has to be around the same as Tufts, face offs have to be respectable (40-50%) and clearing should be clean and up 80s (more like low 90s) for a legit shot

Haven't had a chance to watch Amherst and Conn College games but look forward to doing so
You are correct Amherst, Conn, and Williams had success. RIT not so much since they were held scoreless for almost 25 minutes while the Jumbos took a commanding 10 - 4 lead and RIT was down 5/6 goals till 1:44 left in the 4th at which point they closed the gap to 4 goals when the game was pretty much over. That is not success.

Tufts is playing at a different level since those games and has dominated since that Conn game so while you are correct, they are different team in May then they were in earlier in the season.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Leonard Washington wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:34 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:34 pm I’ve been around the game a long time. If they win, especially big, they are certainly in the discussion for one of the best teams of all time alongside several early 2000s Salisbury teams.
You aren't the only one. Aka been around this game for a long time. Tufts can only play who is (put) in front of them. Undefeated this year, doesn't necessarily (in my book) mean you are the all-time greatest team in D3, even if they beat (this year's) Salisbury team 21-11.
I’m pretty sure Tufts has beaten more than half the top 20, most by a wide margin. They also are strong in every facet of the game. They played the Massey Ratings #1 SOS. I’m not saying they are, nobody can actually claim that. But they are certainly in that top group.
Leonard Washington

The12lov3 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:10 am RIT not so much since they were held scoreless for almost 25 minutes while the Jumbos took a commanding 10 - 4 lead and RIT was down 5/6 goals till 1:44 left in the 4th at which point they closed the gap to 4 goals when the game was pretty much over. That is not success.
Sorry, we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I did say "to an extent" as RIT is one of a handful of teams (I do understand that Hamilton is in this group) to go back and forth with Tufts in the 1st quarter and either be tied or have the lead after the 1st 15 minutes. We watched the game and know that the 2nd quarter was their down fall. Tufts has gone on those (minimum) 3-4 goal runs the majority of the year along with the fact RIT had ZERO goals that quarter. Even with their CNU loss, they scored at least one goal in each quarter and the only other team (I believe, but could be wrong) to stop RIT from registering a goal in any quarter of a game they played was the 1st game of the season and it was Muhlenburg and that was the 4th quarter (1st overtime as well if you want to get technical)
The12lov3 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:10 am so while you are correct, they are different team in May then they were in earlier in the season.
I would hope that is the case :lol:
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Jknows wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:21 am The “unreal RIT team” you mentioned lost two game this season. Both games they lost 15-11.

This.

We have arrived at the final with what’s been the two best teams (by a decent amount) all year long. as a neutral I still think tufts wins, but Salisbury will be by far best team they’ve played this year. I do think even though RIT lost to CNU I would take RIT in a rematch, but they would lose to Salisbury also. Excited for Sunday gonna be some good lacrosse played!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Leonard Washington wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:19 pm

Nazareth 92, 96
Middlebury 01, 02
Maybe the best of the Hobart decade of dominance - 1986 Hobart Statesmen . 15-1, beat D1 Loyola, Syracuse, Cornell, Penn St, & Hofstra. Only loss was to Hopkins.
Story about their Soul Patrol midfield - https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... oul-patrol
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”