CNU 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
laxdad1434

Re: CNU 2023

Post by laxdad1434 »

Laxguy703 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:58 pm Huge game for the Captains this weekend. They are playing a talented Dickinson team who seems to be playing their best ball of the year.

Keys to winning the game are:
1. Face-offs. The FO unit in this game will be very interesting. Cabaniss went 58% in the last game when these two faced, but the battle was quite even, CNU's wings just outhustled Dickinson.
2. Burying the ball. When CNU shoots well, they win. There are games where they only get 20 shots on cage, but 17 or 18 of them will go. Dickinson has a very good goalie so CNU needs to bury the ball early and don't let him get hot.
3. Limit Transition. Dickinson scored a few early goals in the last game. Get the defense settled and they will matchup really well against the Red Devils offense.

Really hoping they pull it out and get another shot at the Gulls this Sunday(assuming an upset does not happen).

CNU has done a great job of becoming a consistent top 5 program over the past few years, they just need to figure out how to beat the Gulls. There would be no better way to do that than in the final 4 with a chance at the national championship on the line.

I found a stat that doesn't feel real but is. CNU is 50-3 in their last 53 games against teams that aren't named Salisbury(two of those being OT losses)... 1-7 against the Gulls in that span. I have re-watched the games this year multiple times and it does not make sense why they can't figure them out. They look like a completely different team when they play them.
CNU wins this game by 8.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Not sure what CNU team this is but this isn’t who they are…. Down 5-1 early.
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

Dickinson has the zone cracked. Gotta switch to a man defense. Offense has had plenty of opportunities, just not finishing.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:17 pm Dickinson has the zone cracked. Gotta switch to a man defense. Offense has had plenty of opportunities, just not finishing.
Almost like deja vu of the Mustang Classic. Going down 4-0 early. We will see if they can bounce back again.
aroundtheoutside

Terrible half from Hanway. Offense giving away far too many possessions. Unless there are some big halftime adjustments, this'll be QF exits two years in a row.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:44 pm Terrible half from Hanway. Offense giving away far too many possessions. Unless there are some big halftime adjustments, this'll be QF exits two years in a row.
Watching CNU game. I haven’t watched enough of either team to know of CNU is playing bad, or Dickinson playing great. I don’t see anything special happening. Dickinson moving the ball well. But shots seem like they should be saved.
aroundtheoutside

Sloppy game but amazing effort by the Captains to claw back and win it. Brandau for Dickinson was incredible. Best goalie play I've seen in D3 this year. As for the captains, huge hats off to the defense overcoming a big possession deficit, figuring things out in the second half (held them to only 3 second half goals I believe?), and created a bunch of turnover and transition opportunities. Widhelm and both of the Youngs were incredible. Really cool to see how this defense has matured and grown in confidence after starting the season as the 'weakness' of this CNU team.

Also, gotta credit Hanway for coming up with several clutch saves in the 4th quarter and OT after a rough start. The ability to rebound after a bad stretch is the evidence of a great veteran.

Won't even begin analyzing Salisbury matchup #3 yet...just celebrating with the captains making it back to the Final Four!
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

Dickinson had three really good fast break opportunities to win the game. Guess they need to spend some time working on their unsettled play.
MDlacrosse45

Post by MDlacrosse45 »

An incredible game played by both Dickinson and CNU, Cook once again proving to be the difference. But once again CNU ending the game by showboating at the Dickinson bench. We’ll see how much trash they talk after getting beat by Salisbury once again. CNU should have beat Dickinson it’s not like this was an upset….that’s the culture this program has and it’s the #1 reason why they’ll never get over the hump of playing on Memorial Day weekend
YCOLaxFanSU

!

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

We’ll see how much trash they talk after getting beat by Salisbury once again. CNU should have beat Dickinson it’s not like this was an upset….that’s the culture this program has and it’s the #1 reason why they’ll never get over the hump of playing on Memorial Day weekend
Very superstitious Gull fan here wishing you hadn't said this lol. Agree though, this was not an upset...on paper at least. At this point everyone throws out the "It's tough to beat a team 3 times" cliche. While statistically that isn't actually true. It certainly happens. Ask last year's Dickinson squad when they faced Gettysburg for the 3rd time in the tournament. I would not be surprised if CNU won tomorrow. HOPE NOT!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlacrosse45 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:24 pm An incredible game played by both Dickinson and CNU, Cook once again proving to be the difference. But once again CNU ending the game by showboating at the Dickinson bench. We’ll see how much trash they talk after getting beat by Salisbury once again. CNU should have beat Dickinson it’s not like this was an upset….that’s the culture this program has and it’s the #1 reason why they’ll never get over the hump of playing on Memorial Day weekend
more hogwash. it's the #1 reason fuddy duddies that don't like celebrating (showboating in your words) and are salty post on message boards. and that is all that it's #1 ranked in.

#1 very likely is getting shots on cage. and in the particular instance of salisbury, shots at all. they need to figure that out, or they'll be going home.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:32 am
MDlacrosse45 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:24 pm An incredible game played by both Dickinson and CNU, Cook once again proving to be the difference. But once again CNU ending the game by showboating at the Dickinson bench. We’ll see how much trash they talk after getting beat by Salisbury once again. CNU should have beat Dickinson it’s not like this was an upset….that’s the culture this program has and it’s the #1 reason why they’ll never get over the hump of playing on Memorial Day weekend
more hogwash. it's the #1 reason fuddy duddies that don't like celebrating (showboating in your words) and are salty post on message boards. and that is all that it's #1 ranked in.

#1 very likely is getting shots on cage. and in the particular instance of salisbury, shots at all. they need to figure that out, or they'll be going home.
Was blatant taunting.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

BallHunt wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:29 pm

Was blatant taunting.
i don't mind at all how you characterize it. drawing conclusions from it can certainly be debated, too.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:34 pm
BallHunt wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:29 pm

Was blatant taunting.
i don't mind at all how you characterize it. drawing conclusions from it can certainly be debated, too.
Conclusions are debatable, rules are not:

Section 4
Baiting and taunting are a one- to three-minute
nonreleasable fouls in all cases.

But what can you do if the game is over? Also, CNU likes to run a lap a full yard on the other team's side of the field. I get there is a buffer zone, but come on...

Points of Emphasis
Sportsmanship Team Conduct/Decorum Pregame and Postgame
• Coaches are asked to monitor and discuss sportsmanship issues with their
teams; image of the sport is at risk.
• Player behavior during pregame warmups is a concern in some cases.
• Coaches and officials are to be respectful of the 5-yard buffer on either
side of the midline that the committee previously established as a neutral
area during pregame.
• Coaches are reminded to remain on the sidelines during live-ball play.

• Postgame, coaches shall be cognizant of teams crossing at the end of the
game, which can create issues.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
MDlacrosse45

Post by MDlacrosse45 »

My point is CNU only taunts and talks to team less superior than them. With all of the talent they have had what exactly have they won? Their staff acts as if they are the top team in the country. Everytime they get to the big game on the big stage they can’t get it done and I never see anybody from the CNU roster talking trash then. We will see if that changes today!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlacrosse45 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:06 pm My point is CNU only taunts and talks to team less superior than them. With all of the talent they have had what exactly have they won? Their staff acts as if they are the top team in the country. Everytime they get to the big game on the big stage they can’t get it done and I never see anybody from the CNU roster talking trash then. We will see if that changes today!
respectfully, that wasn't your point, only reason i commented. best of luck to all.
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

MDlacrosse45 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:06 pm My point is CNU only taunts and talks to team less superior than them. With all of the talent they have had what exactly have they won? Their staff acts as if they are the top team in the country. Everytime they get to the big game on the big stage they can’t get it done and I never see anybody from the CNU roster talking trash then. We will see if that changes today!
Could say the same about Tufts, right?
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

D3LaxFan2 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:30 pm
Could say the same about Tufts, right?
Don’t feed into it, he’s been in this forum 5-6 times crying about taunting. He’s soft.
MDlacrosse45

Post by MDlacrosse45 »

New year same result. CNU plays the top dog and they lose once again. The CNU coaching staff somehow having 0 plan for Cook being locked off. Unless their plan was just to be okay with their best player being locked off...strange plan.
This is who CNU is and its who they've always been. Talk trash and beat up on lesser opponents and when it comes time to play the big boys they fold...everytime. All the talent in the world and they cant get it done. Work harder talk less....
ClaudeHenrySmoott

Post by ClaudeHenrySmoott »

CNU fans,

Please don’t pay attention to this loud mouth. He forgets you beat RIT earlier this year and played better each time you played my Gulls this year.

Very promising program and staff. Be proud of your squad. They get better each year.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”