Duke Vs. Michigan In Quarterfinals

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Duke Vs. Michigan In Quarterfinals

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:40 pm Here's hoping Michigan maintains momentum in the coming years. They're certainly dedicating resources and a strong program there will be good for the sport.
And we can avoid the annual dumb “when is Michigan going to dominate all?” or “why hasn’t the current Michigan coach P’owned all of college lacrosse?” Threads!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:50 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:40 pm Here's hoping Michigan maintains momentum in the coming years. They're certainly dedicating resources and a strong program there will be good for the sport.
And we can avoid the annual dumb “when is Michigan going to dominate all?” or “why hasn’t the current Michigan coach P’owned all of college lacrosse?” Threads!
Yes, those will be done with. But, the truth is, they weren't that dumb. We all knew what Michigan Lacrosse was capable of.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:53 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:50 pm
Yes, those will be done with. But, the truth is, they weren't that dumb. We all knew what Michigan Lacrosse was capable of.
this run certainly makes recruiting a bit easier for them.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Michigan returns a lot of its best players next year.

With a B1G tournament championship and a run to the quarterfinals, Michigan has a legitimate claim to being a top tier lacrosse program.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
coda

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:08 pm Michigan returns a lot of its best players next year.

With a B1G tournament championship and a run to the quarterfinals, Michigan has a legitimate claim to being a top tier lacrosse program.

DocBarrister
They return most of the team. Including Weifeldt, who will be in discussion for the #1 fogo in the nations. Replacing Zawaada and Darby, both guys I believe played 5 years, will be tough. Offense should be good, but it was far and away the biggest problem today
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

coda wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:18 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:08 pm Michigan returns a lot of its best players next year.

DocBarrister
They return most of the team. Including Weifeldt, who will be in discussion for the #1 fogo in the nations. Replacing Zawaada and Darby, both guys I believe played 5 years, will be tough. Offense should be good, but it was far and away the biggest problem today
Zawada has another year if he wants it

Clay, Darby, and Thompson are gone and Bonomi is in the portal. Rowlett missed 2019 so could get a waiver for a 6th year if he tried. Everyone else should be back
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Zawada has another year

They had a lot of plays available offensively to them today they just didn't make. One more passes to open shooters passed up for tougher shots. Didn't shoot the ball well overall. They looked like a team on that stage for the first time. They could use more dodging threats from the midfield but I think next time you see them in a big game like that they'd play better.

Finding a goalie of the future in Taylor was the bigger deal IMO. That's what they've been lacking for awhile and their defense was so much better once he came through. They need some more depth at the poles, but they have young guys there. Overall they had a great run and this was definitely one step too far for now but they'll be back there soon I'm sure
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:21 pm
coda wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:18 pm

DocBarrister
Zawada has another year if he wants it

Clay, Darby, and Thompson are gone and Bonomi is in the portal. Rowlett missed 2019 so could get a waiver for a 6th year if he tried. Everyone else should be back
My bad. I’ll be really happy when this COVID nonsense is over. Used to be so easy
IDHen

Post by IDHen »

10stone5 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:53 pm
stupefied wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:36 pm Difference is Oneill running by his defender at will and UM being sloppy besides Naso providing edge against fogos
So then,

no Owen Grant this game 8-)
Yeah, no one knew who O’Neil was after last week, he’s a super star today. How far can Duke go? Will Delaware prove to be the toughest challenge on their way to the championship? The Hens were very good this year, if only they got some meaningful wins early when Mike Robinson was out.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

IDHen wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:59 pm
stupefied wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:36 pm Difference is Oneill running by his defender at will and UM being sloppy besides Naso providing edge against fogos
So then,

Yeah, no one knew who O’Neil was after last week, he’s a super star today. How far can Duke go? Will Delaware prove to be the toughest challenge on their way to the championship? The Hens were very good this year, if only they got some meaningful wins early when Mike Robinson was out.
So Robinson's early season injury caused them to lose in the NCAA tournament?
IDHen

Post by IDHen »

keno in reno wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:32 pm
So then,

Sorry,not too clear. I believe Robonson’s presence would have helped UD to a quality win against Hopkins, Michigan or even Villanova and a better seeding at end of year.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

IDHen wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:40 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:32 pm
So then,

Sorry,not too clear. I believe Robonson’s presence would have helped UD to a quality win against Hopkins, Michigan or even Villanova and a better seeding at end of year.
That's understandable, but they'd still have to beat a team like UVA, Michigan, Notre Dame, Maryland, Penn State, Georgetown, Cornell, Johns Hopkins etc. This is a brutal tournament for an unseeded team. Regardless, Grant absolutely dominated O'Neill.
Finster

Post by Finster »

coda wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:14 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:00 pm Congrats to Duke. Helm and O’Neill were too much today.

Congratulations to Coach Conry and Michigan for the program’s breakthrough season.

DocBarrister
Helm came in struggling and he was arguably the POTG. Hate to see it vs Michigan, but good for the kid. Congrats to Duke

Great season for Michigan. Maybe the best moment of the game was when Michigan tied it back up and you could hear the chant “Go Blue” from Michigan fans. Pretty cool from a program that had its first good year

Coda has it right.

Too many lacrosse armchair analysts fail to note who contributes to a game unless it’s a star pumping in goals. This kid Helm was equivalent if not even more important to the game than O’Neill, but because he’s not as well known, very few pay any attention. Helm was almost at 70% save percentage until the last goal. That’s an amazing number given how good the Michigan shooters are, and frankly Duke’s defense was allowing the shots.

Goalies are a funny group. If they see those first few shots, they can really lock in the rest of the game. You could see Helm out there (until that last goal) was all over most Michigan shooters. He even cleanly caught a few heaters.

Great job, Will Helm.
coda

Post by coda »

Finster wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:17 am
coda wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:14 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:00 pm Congrats to Duke. Helm and O’Neill were too much today.

Congratulations to Coach Conry and Michigan for the program’s breakthrough season.

DocBarrister
Helm came in struggling and he was arguably the POTG. Hate to see it vs Michigan, but good for the kid. Congrats to Duke

Great season for Michigan. Maybe the best moment of the game was when Michigan tied it back up and you could hear the chant “Go Blue” from Michigan fans. Pretty cool from a program that had its first good year

Coda has it right.

Too many lacrosse armchair analysts fail to note who contributes to a game unless it’s a star pumping in goals. This kid Helm was equivalent if not even more important to the game than O’Neill, but because he’s not as well known, very few pay any attention. Helm was almost at 70% save percentage until the last goal. That’s an amazing number given how good the Michigan shooters are, and frankly Duke’s defense was allowing the shots.

Goalies are a funny group. If they see those first few shots, they can really lock in the rest of the game. You could see Helm out there (until that last goal) was all over most Michigan shooters. He even cleanly caught a few heaters.

Great job, Will Helm.
Thanks. People get caught up about offense. Duke came in averaging over 14 goals a game and Michigan over 13. The lax world expected a high scoring game. Duke scoring 15 was not a surprise to anyone, but holding Michigan’s offense to 8 was the outlier. Michigan isnt going to beat anyone, when they score 8 goals.

I also mentioned GBs, because those are the hidden possessions. How many people thought Wiefeldt won 60% of the draws? Too many Wiefeldt wins on the clamp ended up in a Duke stick. I thought their wings did a great job. Another example is ONeill’s second goal. Michigan SSDM had a great shot to start a break, but couldn’t pick up the ball. A second later it’s in ONeill’s stick in space. That was potentially a 2 goal swing (Michigan on the break vs ONeill wide open in space).

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”