Attendance Numbers

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Attendance Numbers

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:22 pm I’ll still take lacrosse over volleyball 👍
Are you including women’s beach volleyball?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

hofpride wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:20 am weather in the north feb thru mid apr has to have a big impact on attendance
It def is, we should play in the fall.
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

ObxTerpFan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:00 am ...
Having said all that the numbers for ESPN must be decent or they would not show the games.
Well, the network does broadcast axe throwing and darts... ;)
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:53 am
hofpride wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:20 am weather in the north feb thru mid apr has to have a big impact on attendance
It def is, we should play in the fall.
That is not practical for a number of reasons. The main one is competition for field space. Many high schools and colleges play lax on/in the same field/stadiums as football.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Could you imagine the crowd if Michigan, OSU, or ND had a home lax game right before a home FBall game? IIRC, a few years ago OSU had a great turnout for lax in the 'shoe scheduled the same day as an intra-squad spring football game.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
gmen1986

Post by gmen1986 »

true but you can't control the weather. just gotta learn to play in it/ plan around it.

should be interesting this weekend as albany has a 50% chance of rain saturday. knowing upstate weather it'll rain hard for 30 min then clear up. but that 50% chance could turn the average fan away, hope I'm wrong.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Rain in Albany not forecasted til around 5pm
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Albany attendance: 4224
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

I wonder what the attendance numbers will look like for the quarter finals. Albany was dealing with bad weather which kept attendance down.

Annapolis looks like great weather.

I remember when Hofstra used to sell out fir the QF’s and would have over 10,000 fans. What has been the site with the best attendance?
ObxTerpFan

Post by ObxTerpFan »

Just plug the tourney for Annapolis every year
No other place rivals the stadium and how close you are to the City Dock and all the festivities that go with it.
The passion for the game in that town is unreal
jff97

Post by jff97 »

13,354 the crowd today in Annapolis. Largest QF crowd since 2019. If you ever want to have the FF and championship in one place, I would agree that Annapolis is the place to do it. Good location, great town and if there's great weather the stadium is picturesque.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ObxTerpFan wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:32 pm Just plug the tourney for Annapolis every year
No other place rivals the stadium and how close you are to the City Dock and all the festivities that go with it.
The passion for the game in that town is unreal
obviously, you'd have to move the tourney off of mem day. and doubt you'd get a committment for navy to do for the foreseeable future. so, i'd pass. give them every quarters 'til they don't want it no more, tho.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Final Attendance: 13,354 For today
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They should push the season back. I don't think you should play it in ONE location every year unless you plan on putting women's F4 and D2 and D3 there as well and make it somethin akin to what the Men's and Women's College World Series are; but they should absolutely host one at some point.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

There was an attempt go oit men abd women in the same city years ago. The women did not want it back then. I suggest whoever ask the women what thsy want before moving on it
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

AreaLax wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:55 pm Final Attendance: 13,354 For today
Good times today and they let you
Go in an out between games.
IDHen

Post by IDHen »

Navy - Marine Corps Stadium is an awesome location. A great experience to visit it.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:20 pm They should push the season back. I don't think you should play it in ONE location every year unless you plan on putting women's F4 and D2 and D3 there as well and make it somethin akin to what the Men's and Women's College World Series are; but they should absolutely host one at some point.
Gillette Stadium will host the Men's Tournament in 2025 and 2026 in addition to the Womens Division 1 Championship on the same weekend.
https://www.ncaa.com/championships/lacr ... uture-info
ggait

Post by ggait »

Look at Lacrosse and Soccer....enrollment matters. Lacrosse is down 23% :shock:

Interesting that the helmet sports (football, lax, ice hockey) are showing the biggest declines at the youth level. Not that surprising to me.

HS participation levels are holding steady -- for now.

We'll see if it is parents holding the kids out of those sports just for the youngest ages, or if you will start to see the HS numbers drop as the youngest crop of non-players get older.

It does seem like the youth lacrosse boom has cooled off somewhat in the last few years out here in CO. Not sure if the numbers have leveled off or whether they might actually be declining. Could be a lot of factors to that in addition to head injury concerns.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

ObxTerpFan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:00 am
NYterp09 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:39 am
ObxTerpFan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:43 pm
CU77 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:01 pm Soccer and hockey do not do significantly better. The others I don't know.

People have other stuff to do now. Phones provide nonstop engagement.
Just for kicks I looked up U of Maryland's soccer average attendance and it was a bit over 5,000 per regular season games
I'm not much for hockey but the top college teams look to be putting an average of 7,000 to 10,000 per regular season games
Maryland soccer prob isn’t the best litmus test. Granted I graduated a while ago, but when I was there the men’s soccer team was extremely popular amongst students. I imagine most other schools soccer teams don’t have quite the same level of support from their student bodies.
The article I read, if I recall correctly, said Maryland soccer was #1 in attendance followed up by UCONN. I'll try and find the article and post the link.
Both soccer and lacrosse teams at Maryland are very successful but one draws a lot more fans then the other. I've watched a couple of Terp soccer games on tv and the students turn out and are loud.
Having said all that the numbers for ESPN must be decent or they would not show the games.
I imagine the fact that the soccer team plays evening games throughout the week, whereas the lax team usually plays Saturday afternoons has a lot to do with the attendance disparity.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”