Princeton at Penn Stare

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Princeton at Penn Stare

Post by DocBarrister »

I think the Ivy League is on the rise, overall. Twenty five years ago, it was Princeton and “others” when discussing Ivy League lacrosse.

Now, just about every Ivy League program is a quality program.

Should note that three of the best games this weekend featured Ivy League teams in very close, exciting games.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
coda

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:54 pm I think the Ivy League is on the rise, overall. Twenty five years ago, it was Princeton and “others” when discussing Ivy League lacrosse.

Should note that three of the best games this weekend featured Ivy League teams in very close, exciting games.

DocBarrister
Personally, I am hoping to see the Big 10 on the rise. By that I mean they become a legit rival to the ACC. The sport needs to see some teams west of coastline thrive. Hoping to see someone like Michigan takes a big step and other schools to take notice. Adding a school on the West Coast or a place like Texas would really help the growth of lacrosse.

Post by 1766 »

coda wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:54 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:54 pm I think the Ivy League is on the rise, overall. Twenty five years ago, it was Princeton and “others” when discussing Ivy League lacrosse.

DocBarrister
Personally, I am hoping to see the Big 10 on the rise. By that I mean they become a legit rival to the ACC. The sport needs to see some teams west of coastline thrive. Hoping to see someone like Michigan takes a big step and other schools to take notice. Adding a school on the West Coast or a place like Texas would really help the growth of lacrosse.
It seems that the B1G has already become a legit rival. A number of Big Ten teams have beaten Acc teams. This weekend will be very interesting in that regard.
coda

Post by coda »

1766 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:24 pm

DocBarrister
It seems that the B1G has already become a legit rival. A number of Big Ten teams have beaten Acc teams. This weekend will be very interesting in that regard.
I think Big 10 needs to take a few more steps, until we can say they are a legit rival. The ACC is pretty consistent at producing 2-3 NC caliber teams ever year. There are some ups and downs, but if you have to bet on the best lacrosse conference in 2030, almost everyone here would put money on the ACC . The Big 10 is making strides, but Maryland is the only team that can has shown the ability to consistently compete with the ACC. Hopkins has been down. Michigan has the "sleeping giant" label, but this is the 1st year that there is evidence of that. OSU and PSU have had moments, but not consistency. Rutgers has shown they can put together a good team of 30 year olds occasionally. To rival the ACC, Maryland needs to maintain, JHU needs to regain, and Michigan needs to become the next Notre Dame

Post by 1766 »

30 year olds lol. Who is your team?

The Big Ten has been a league for 8 years I believe. In that time they've probably had as many FF participants as the Acc. Let's see how this weekend shakes out.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:31 pm
FannOLax wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:08 pm Momentum with Penn State. Tie game. Princeton needs to turn the tide, but PSU keeps winning face-offs.
Zone is problematic.
Anybody else find it strange the announcers didn't seem to notice Penn State had changed to zone in the second quarter? Somebody must have said something to them at halftime because they started talking about it then and never stopped.
coda

Post by coda »

1766 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:53 pm 30 year olds lol. Who is your team?

The Big Ten has been a league for 8 years I believe. In that time they've probably had as many FF participants as the Acc. Let's see how this weekend shakes out.
Michigan

I am not shitting on the Big 10, but there is no argument to say their programs are on the same level as the ACC. One year on the field does not measure a conference. It is about the programs and the health of those programs. Big 10 is clearly fighting from behind when it comes to history and tradition, except Maryland and Hopkins. Rutgers, Michigan, OSU, and PSU are trying to build programs that can rival Duke, UNC, ND, and Virginia. How many 5 stars do you think the ACC has compared to the Big 10? How many 5 stars have Big 10 schools, not named Maryland, signed? Only way the Big 10 gets to that level is if you start to see schools show consistent success, outside of Maryland. Like you said the Big 10 lax has only been in existence for 8 years. They have done well, but it is going to take time for them to catch up and seriously rival the ACC. Like I said I am rooting for the Big 10 to get there, but I am just being honest about where they are currently and the work that needs to be done.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Cheeseandcrackers wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:54 pm
FannOLax wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:08 pm Momentum with Penn State. Tie game. Princeton needs to turn the tide, but PSU keeps winning face-offs.
Zone is problematic.
Anybody else find it strange the announcers didn't seem to notice Penn State had changed to zone in the second quarter? Somebody must have said something to them at halftime because they started talking about it then and never stopped.
I did. It was ridiculous. Also had player’s names wrong most of the night.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:13 pm
Zone is problematic.
It seemed like Cotter was getting Vardaro and Mackesy mixed up, which isn't good considering they are two of the top offensive players. #'s 19 and 91, but still...
Typical Lax Dad

ohmilax34 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:17 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:13 pm
Zone is problematic.
It seemed like Cotter was getting Vardaro and Mackesy mixed up, which isn't good considering they are two of the top offensive players. #'s 19 and 91, but still...
That too…anyway, it was a good game. Yale threw it in the week before but got away from it maybe a little too soon. Injuries finally caught up with the Tigers. PSU looked good. Wouldn’t mind seeing them win it all.
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

Not only didn’t the talking heads no PSU were in Zone the kept saying Princeton was intentionally going deep into the shot clock….They are typical announcers….the ACC and Big are great and everyone else we don’t need to pay attention to….Sucks Ivies played 3 really good exciting games and went 0-3..
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:47 pm That makes it official. Penn State is your Ivy League Champion

(Beat Penn, Yale, Cornell, and Princeton)
Tambroni strikes back?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:19 pm
genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:02 pm
genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:01 pm When you have 6 teams in the field odds are you can get 1 or 2 in the final 4.
John Hopkins will have a chance to get back to glory this season. Good luck.
You left the “S” off Johns, just like the illiterate Yale grad George Bush was known to do.
My bad….. John’s Hopkin.
He he
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:47 pm
1766 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:24 pm

DocBarrister
I think Big 10 needs to take a few more steps, until we can say they are a legit rival. The ACC is pretty consistent at producing 2-3 NC caliber teams ever year. There are some ups and downs, but if you have to bet on the best lacrosse conference in 2030, almost everyone here would put money on the ACC . The Big 10 is making strides, but Maryland is the only team that can has shown the ability to consistently compete with the ACC. Hopkins has been down. Michigan has the "sleeping giant" label, but this is the 1st year that there is evidence of that. OSU and PSU have had moments, but not consistency. Rutgers has shown they can put together a good team of 30 year olds occasionally. To rival the ACC, Maryland needs to maintain, JHU needs to regain, and Michigan needs to become the next Notre Dame
Assuming the ACC exists in 2030 after football money and all the related scumbaggery (next generation of Bobby lowders and uncle luthers) decimates FBS conferences for good.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:45 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:19 pm
genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:02 pm
genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:01 pm When you have 6 teams in the field odds are you can get 1 or 2 in the final 4.
John Hopkins will have a chance to get back to glory this season. Good luck.
You left the “S” off Johns, just like the illiterate Yale grad George Bush was known to do.
My bad….. John’s Hopkin.
He he
John Hotchkiss
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

Zone is problematic.
Yeah this was amazing, they were talking about sliding faster and all the Princeton goals being unassisted when clearly in a zone (which of course was working). I was like are these guys going to mention that PSU switched to a zone or what? Entire second quarter.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:47 pm Assuming the ACC exists in 2030 after football money and all the related scumbaggery (next generation of Bobby lowders and uncle luthers) decimates FBS conferences for good.
This is the real issue. The ACC's days are numbered, and B1G could pick up some premier programs.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

What,

Lowder just ran a bank into the ground,
no big deal.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:46 pm What,

Lowder just ran a bank into the ground,
no big deal.
Everyone in the south loves to tell the story of how many SEC incl Al and some ACC would track his Colonial Bank plane to know who Auburn was recruiting…

(Taylor Bean Whitaker was their downfall)
See Martin, Malcolm
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Voyuer wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:18 pm Not only didn’t the talking heads no PSU were in Zone the kept saying Princeton was intentionally going deep into the shot clock….They are typical announcers….the ACC and Big are great and everyone else we don’t need to pay attention to….Sucks Ivies played 3 really good exciting games and went 0-3..
Rewatched this one this morning. The PSU zone was important but I think what really turned the game was PSU's ride, forcing PU into long stretches of D that eventually wore them down both physically and mentally. Excellent teams ride well...

Nice season for Princeton though.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”