Villanova 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Villanova 2023

Post by wgdsr »

chosen1lax wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:20 am Was great to get down to nova and watch another cats win. Villanova finds themselves in a position they are familiar with. Need to win to get in. A loss most likely has them on the outside looking into the bubble.

This is not a bad thing, they control their own destiny. Can only control what is in front of them.

Coaches have done a great job this year getting to 10 wins, without the influx of 5th year talent like they had last year, allowing guys like Fraser and Daly to take on bigger roles.
congrats to the cats. great story, be cool to see them fight their way in. they could scare some teams.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:09 am Which hopefully the coaches continue to do,
some solid recruits,

next year, this guy is coming in,
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment

who I’m guessing has some sort of relation to this
ex Villanova great,
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... nni-1.html
Matt Chandik
@MChandik26
Tired: shoot video in case this is the game-tying goal.

Wired: shoot video because Jake Melchionni’s out there and he just might take the rock away.

I’m still a HUGE Melchionni fan. @LeadingEdgeLax
standout is such a presence for @DelbartonLax
Quote Tweet
NLF
@natlaxfed
·
Apr 22
Jake Melchionni calls game!

The @LeadingEdgeLax 4 ⭐️ LSM and @NovaLacrosse does what he does best and takes the ball away to ice @DelbartonLax’s 5-4 win over Summit.
https://twitter.com/MChandik26/status/1 ... 3pqeUtAAAA
chosen1lax

Post by chosen1lax »

Nova finishes the regular season 10-4. Congrats to all of the players who received post season accolades.

The Wildcats find themselves in a position that they are used to. Win in the semi finals should guarantee an at large bid, a loss and they have to wait nervously to see what the committee decides. Big early season wins vs PSU UPENN and UDEL are highlights to their resume. Inability to beat GTown and DU continues to plague them. Would be great to see Matt Campbell play in the NCAA tournament and have a chance to bring Nova their first Big East Championship to cap off a historic career.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Win this game,
knock Tierney out of the tournie, although they may still give him a pass,
get to the finals and Cats probably in.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Win and they're in barring absolute complete chaos (Princeton AQ, Michigan AQ.) Penn State, Penn, Denver wins and strong RPI would do it. But gotta get over the hump
The real beast

Post by The real beast »

xxxxxxx wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:15 pm
The real beast wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:00 pm
chosen1lax wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:28 pm Short term memory if you are nova. They still control their own destiny. I was fortunate enough to attend this game on a beautiful day in Denver and be a part of the celebration for Coach T

Denver was ready for Nova. I have a feeling these two will meet again. PC this weekend is no easy out, they just took Gtown to the wire, one at a time.
Villanova is top 3 most consistent programs in college. Every year start as a good team. They start getting some national attention. Immediately lose a couple games. Death taxes and losing to Denver
You must have missed last years Big East semi.

Death Taxes and Tierney crying to the refs for 60 minutes embarrassing himself and the game.
Death taxes and losing to Denver. Maybe Tierney can give the nova staff some tips now that he won’t coach against them again
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

The real beast wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:50 am
chosen1lax wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:28 pm Short term memory if you are nova. They still control their own destiny. I was fortunate enough to attend this game on a beautiful day in Denver and be a part of the celebration for Coach T

Denver was ready for Nova. I have a feeling these two will meet again. PC this weekend is no easy out, they just took Gtown to the wire, one at a time.
Villanova is top 3 most consistent programs in college. Every year start as a good team. They start getting some national attention. Immediately lose a couple games. Death taxes and losing to Denver

Death Taxes and Tierney crying to the refs for 60 minutes embarrassing himself and the game.
Death taxes and losing to Denver. Maybe Tierney can give the nova staff some tips now that he won’t coach against them again
They beat them last year and got to the finals.
Cats just haven’t had enough to get at larges the past couple years.
Corrado’s done well on his own without anyone else’s counsel,
they have the players coming in and at some point will get to the 12.6 scholarship threshold.
chosen1lax

Post by chosen1lax »

10stone5 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:06 am

they have the players coming in and at some point will get to the 12.6 scholarship threshold.
Scholarship argument needs to stopped being used as a crutch. Ivy has 0 scholarships. I don’t hear them complaining.

Someone asked in this thread before the season if this was the team that would win the big east and win a tournament game. I was pretty harsh saying it would not be either, but when nova continues to show they can’t beat good teams when it matters, I don’t know what else to say.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

chosen1lax wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:25 am

Scholarship argument needs to stopped being used as a crutch. Ivy has 0 scholarships. I don’t hear them complaining.

Someone asked in this thread before the season if this was the team that would win the big east and win a tournament game. I was pretty harsh saying it would not be either, but when nova continues to show they can’t beat good teams when it matters, I don’t know what else to say.
You're comparing a Villanova education to any Ivy education? The Ivy sells itself in value. Networking, academic rigor, etc. Villanova is great academically, but doesn't have the prestige that an Ivy has. Not really sure what point you're trying to make here. Scholarship money definitely helps...

Btw, Ivy athletes are literally trying to sue for scholarship money... https://theathletic.com/4313442/2023/03 ... p-lawsuit/
chosen1lax

Post by chosen1lax »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:31 am

You're comparing a Villanova education to any Ivy education? The Ivy sells itself in value. Networking, academic rigor, etc. Villanova is great academically, but doesn't have the prestige that an Ivy has. Not really sure what point you're trying to make here. Scholarship money definitely helps...

Btw, Ivy athletes are literally trying to sue for scholarship money... https://theathletic.com/4313442/2023/03 ... p-lawsuit/
Okay Gaits Left Hand, what is your point? I’m comparing how much scholarships nova has to the amount the ivies have. I didn’t ask about pending litigation or college academic rankings. The Ivy has 0 issues with recruiting top level players, that can get in and are consistently competing for national championships with 0 scholarships.

Scholarships in lacrosse are so minimal, it really doesn’t make a difference whether you have 8 or 12.6. 50/12.6 is .25 scholarships per player.

Don’t cite lack of scholarships as an excuse for not performing in big games.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

chosen1lax wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:44 am

Okay Gaits Left Hand, what is your point? I’m comparing how much scholarships nova has to the amount the ivies have. I didn’t ask about pending litigation or college academic rankings. The Ivy has 0 issues with recruiting top level players, that can get in and are consistently competing for national championships with 0 scholarships.

Scholarships in lacrosse are so minimal, it really doesn’t make a difference whether you have 8 or 12.6. 50/12.6 is .25 scholarships per player.

LOL nice. Anyways, I was NOT making an excuse. I am not a Villanova fan, nor did I think they'd win... I won money both times they've played. I see you stopped posting your betting picks, so I am guessing its not going well.

You clearly don't understand the value of any Ivy league education vs pretty much any other school. Please name one school that competes at National Tournament level consistently that has the same/similar amount of scholarships as Villanova?

Happy Friday, lighten up.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:49 pm

LOL nice. Anyways, I was NOT making an excuse. I am not a Villanova fan, nor did I think they'd win... I won money both times they've played. I see you stopped posting your betting picks, so I am guessing its not going well.

You clearly don't understand the value of any Ivy league education vs pretty much any other school. Please name one school that competes at National Tournament level consistently that has the same/similar amount of scholarships as Villanova?

Did you mean " name one NON-IVY school that competes at National Tournament level consistently that has the same/similar amount of scholarships as Villanova?"

BTW, I do think scholarships help if used well.
But obviously don't translate to national tournament success as lots of D1 programs with full complement don't get there, almost ever.

And, as much as I'm a big booster for Ivy "value" I think it's a tad overstated to imply that it's significantly greater than "pretty much any other school".

There are, IMO, at least a few ( ;) ), including lax playing schools, both men and women, that are in the conversation on "value"
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:02 pm Did you mean " name one NON-IVY school that competes at National Tournament level consistently that has the same/similar amount of scholarships as Villanova?"

But obviously don't translate to national tournament success as lots of D1 programs with full complement don't get there, almost ever.

And, as much as I'm a big booster for Ivy "value" I think it's a tad overstated to imply that it's significantly greater than "pretty much any other school".

There are, IMO, at least a few ( ;) ), including lax playing schools, both men and women, that are in the conversation on "value"
Yes! Good catch. Please name NON-IVY schools that compete at a National Tournament level consistently that have the same/similar amount of scholarships as Villanova

I am not saying scholarships are the end all be all. All I am saying is that it's unfair to say "Villanova is using scholarships as a crutch, look at them compared to schools with the highest academic value! They still compete in the NCAA Tourney"

Please name these schools, I have a few in mind that made me say "pretty much" instead of all. Just wanted to see if I mentally missed a couple. Duke, UNC, ND, JHU, a PL school or 2... where else are you thinking?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Scholarships make a difference.
Endowments make a difference.
Alumni fundings make a difference.
It all makes a difference.

A half a scholarship is about $30,000 a year.
That’s not minimal.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:10 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:02 pm Did you mean " name one NON-IVY school that competes at National Tournament level consistently that has the same/similar amount of scholarships as Villanova?"

Yes! Good catch. Please name NON-IVY schools that compete at a National Tournament level consistently that have the same/similar amount of scholarships as Villanova

I am not saying scholarships are the end all be all. All I am saying is that it's unfair to say "Villanova is using scholarships as a crutch, look at them compared to schools with the highest academic value! They still compete in the NCAA Tourney"

Please name these schools, I have a few in mind that made me say "pretty much" instead of all. Just wanted to see if I mentally missed a couple. Duke, UNC, ND, JHU, a PL school or 2... where else are you thinking?
:D not going down that rabbit hole!
well...
That is, other than to make sure UVA is on the list given my dad was 3X AA there, NC winner.
Grandfather on mother's side, niece, etc...all Hoos.

And you'd need to put Michigan on there if you have the best publics like UVA.

On the women's side, gotta have Stanford...and, and, and...

I better stop digging...! :D
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:43 pm

well...
That is, other than to make sure UVA is on the list given my dad was 3X AA there, NC winner.

I will definitely give you UVA, UM, and Stanford (WLAX). AND, I am sure we're forgetting some....

Now let me pose two questions for you...
If you were a 2024 being recruited right now- you just received an athletic scholarship from Villanova but have Harvard, Brown and Dartmouth recruiting you... what is your top school? (mind you, I only listed teams that did not make the ILT/wont make the 2022 NCAA's)

If you were a 2024 STUDENT (athletics not involved) and you get accepted into Villanova, Brown, Harvard, and Dartmouth.. where are you going?

Saying the historic academic prestige doesn't play into the Ivy league's NCAA success is a weird comparison.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Just for the record... 2022-2023 Top 15 Academics in the US-

Princeton
MIT
Harvard

Stanford
Yale
U of Chicago
JHU
UPenn
California IT
Duke
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Brown

Vanderbilt
Rice U

Out of this 15, 9 offer MLAX. 6 out of those 9 are Ivy's (nice). The other 3 are JHU, Duke and MIT (D3). JHU and Duke have full scholarships.
Villanova is #51 on this list.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:56 pm

well...

I will definitely give you UVA, UM, and Stanford (WLAX). AND, I am sure we're forgetting some....

If you were a 2024 being recruited right now- you just received an athletic scholarship from Villanova but have Harvard, Brown and Dartmouth recruiting you... what is your top school? (mind you, I only listed teams that did not make the ILT/wont make the 2022 NCAA's)

If you were a 2024 STUDENT (athletics not involved) and you get accepted into Villanova, Brown, Harvard, and Dartmouth.. where are you going?

Saying the historic academic prestige doesn't play into the Ivy league's NCAA success is a weird comparison.
Dartmouth. But then I'm biased, as that's where I met my wife freshman year... ;)

My son was a "traitor" and played at Harvard.

Independent of scholarship offer.

What often goes unmentioned is that if money is a significant factor, and surely it's understandable why that would be, the Ivies have super generous financial aid that is entirely unrelated to admissions and the recruitment process. It's only offered post acceptance, and there's no relationship to why the student was accepted, just their level of financial need. So, if a family is strapped, the Ivy support can be every bit as good as a scholarship, particularly a partial schollie. But the coach can't offer it.

That's what people mean by "endowment".

Villanova is a great school, but I'm certainly not the person who is going to argue with you about the Ivy "value" consideration, regardless of schollie. Someone else can make that argument.

I have a good friend who turned down a Morehead at UNC (more than a scholarship) to go to Princeton. AA in lax, President of school, Moot Court competition winner at Harvard Law, etc, etc. Another AA at Princeton went ROTC...both those guys would have had scholarships wherever they chose, but wanted PU.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:15 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:56 pm

well...

Dartmouth. But then I'm biased, as that's where I met my wife freshman year... ;)

My son was a "traitor" and played at Harvard.

Independent of scholarship offer.

What often goes unmentioned is that if money is a significant factor, and surely it's understandable why that would be, the Ivies have super generous financial aid that is entirely unrelated to admissions and the recruitment process. It's only offered post acceptance, and there's no relationship to why the student was accepted, just their level of financial need. So, if a family is strapped, the Ivy support can be every bit as good as a scholarship, particularly a partial schollie. But the coach can't offer it.

That's what people mean by "endowment".

Villanova is a great school, but I'm certainly not the person who is going to argue with you about the Ivy "value" consideration, regardless of schollie. Someone else can make that argument.

I have a good friend who turned down a Morehead at UNC (more than a scholarship) to go to Princeton. AA in lax, President of school, Moot Court competition winner at Harvard Law, etc, etc. Another AA at Princeton went ROTC...both those guys would have had scholarships wherever they chose, but wanted PU.
Thank you! That's all I was trying to say.

Go Big Green! I coached a sophomore there now, excited for the future.
The real beast

Post by The real beast »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:49 pm

I get what chosen one is saying. Don’t have any facts but I’d imagine Villanova has more scholarships than they did 10 years ago.
Name another school with lacrosse that has won two national championships in either of the two major sports (football and basketball) the last ten years?
That’s elevated the profile of the school and yet
lacrosse program has seemingly plateaued.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”