Losing composure.
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:47 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:44 pm
flalax22 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:42 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:24 pm
flalax22 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:19 pm Tell ya what we could do. We could rehash Murphy leaving.
Maybe we should also rehash why Marcille couldn't beat out Kirson last year. Because it's not super hard to see
I’ll put the body of work at Homewood up for comparison any time. B1G championship game, B1G reg season champ.
Even Kirson never had a stretch this bad. And that was behind a worse defense.

Point is you made it seem like it was insane to not start Marcille last year and now we're seeing that wasn't the case
Based on one game. Aren’t you the one always talking about not losing your mind over one game. Hey he’s having a rough one but if you would prefer Kirson in a meaningful game- Ok
Huh? The whole point is that it's not just one game. Since B1G play started, his last six games:

25%, pulled
53%
40%
46%
35%
42%
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:50 pm
flalax22 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:19 pm Tell ya what we could do. We could rehash Murphy leaving.
Maybe we should also rehash why Marcille couldn't beat out Kirson last year. Because it's not super hard to see
I’ll put the body of work at Homewood up for comparison any time. B1G championship game, B1G reg season champ.

Point is you made it seem like it was insane to not start Marcille last year and now we're seeing that wasn't the case
Based on one game. Aren’t you the one always talking about not losing your mind over one game. Hey he’s having a rough one but if you would prefer Kirson in a meaningful game- Ok
Huh? The whole point is that it's not just one game. Since B1G play started, his last six games:

25%, pulled
53%
40%
46%
35%
42%
What those don’t show is timely saves and saves that earn your team the win. Are you saying he hasn’t provided those?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:53 pm

25%, pulled
53%
40%
46%
35%
42%
What those don’t show is timely saves and saves that earn your team the win. Are you saying he hasn’t provided those?
I'm saying it's not hard to see why the coaches did not trust him last year.

If we had a goalie problem last year, then we've got one this year too.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Why this staff makes changes for the sake of making changes baffles me. Don’t get me wrong the previous staff never making changes was infuriating but this staff seems to make changes for the sake of making changes and often they do nothing but outsmart themselves
Bluesteel

Post by Bluesteel »

Well, that was a total team loss.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:54 pm

25%, pulled
53%
40%
46%
35%
42%

At 11-4 and ranked in the top 5 in the nation you’re saying the Jays have a goalie problem. Ok
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

peshko evans mcdermott grimes chauvette bauer. 6 juniors 7 shots 5 turnovers 2 goals 1 assist 0 gbs. portal portal portal.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Bluesteel wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:56 pm Well, that was a total team loss.
Nope sounds like it was a goalie loss. Hahaha
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:57 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:54 pm

25%, pulled
53%
40%
46%
35%
42%

At 11-4 and ranked in the top 5 in the nation you’re saying the Jays have a goalie problem. Ok
Yes when you go four games in a row below 50% and six of your last seven — while in all but one of those games your D plays well in front of you — then you have a goalie problem? Don't think that's very controversial
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Lots to pick at here but two things that should be addressable.

First, have to learn how to put teams away. That game could have (and should have) been well under control after 1Q. Second time this year we've gotten off to a big start only to become complacent and sloppy. That's a focus issue.

Second, while I think what we've done on defense this year has been phenomenal, that was a mess off-ball and comnmunications-wise. Easy cuts on the crease in the second half not picked up. The Erksa goal in the first half was maddening; "unsettled" situation but we have four poles in the hole looking around at each other as Erksa walks in to 8-10 yards and for a hands-free shot. For those issues to pop up at the end of the year is concerning, but I'm sure that will be a focus in practice this week.
Last edited by primitiveskills on Thu May 04, 2023 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Credit to Maryland for a spirited win … Terps looked like they wanted the win more.

And I can’t really say anything worse about the Blue Jays … they got out-worked by Maryland.

Hard to imagine anything worse than having to watch Maryland play for the B1G title on your own field.

Blue Jays just lost all momentum in their season right before the NCAA tournament. Hopkins has been streaky in their play all year. I like this team … they never quit. But it’s the consistent teams that go far in the tournament.

I’m hoping the Blue Jays get one more home game. This team at its best can play and beat anyone. But at this point, they are so inconsistent that they will be fortunate to reach the quarterfinals.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:08 pm Lots to pick at here but two things that should be addressable.

First, have to learn how to put teams away. That game could have (and should have) been well under control after 1Q. Second time this year we've gotten off to a big start only to become complacent and sloppy. That's a focus issue.

Second, while I think what we've done on defense this year has been phenomenal, that was a mess off-ball and comnmunications-wise. For those issues to pop up at the end of the year is concerning, but I'm sure that will be a focus in practice this week.
Agreed, it was a mess. Hard to think about silver linings right now but it's better they get this out of the way before the tournament. They've got some real good film to dissect before next weekend.

Thought Terry Foy and Nick Ossello made a rare good point on their podcast the other day. You don't want to peak too early. You never want to lose obviously and I wish they played better than they did today, but this opens up the possibility that their best lacrosse is still ahead of them. Or something. One can hope. I'd rather they enter the tourney with a chip on their shoulder than getting high on their own supply.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

rpi only fell to 5th. Yale upsetting cornell would help keep us on the 5 line. would help if cornell and georgetown didn't win their tournaments and if yale knocked out cornell. Michigan beating maryland would also help.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

The "team of role players" offense is great and has served us well, but sometimes you need a player or two to step up and take over. I think Collison and Melendez are those guys. A little disappointed that Melendez disappeared in the second half, and I don't think it was because of anything Makar was doing.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:14 pm rpi only fell to 5th. Yale upsetting cornell would help keep us on the 5 line. would help if cornell and georgetown didn't win their tournaments and if yale knocked out cornell. Michigan beating maryland would also help.
Georgetown winning their tournament doesn't really matter. We're still going to have the better resume and the H2H win. In some ways that might help us.

Cornell can probably leapfrog us for the #5 spot if they win their tournament. Right now we're looking at 5-7 for us.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Well Well Well - that was a total team loss - maybe the waterboy and Jay Dyer are exempt but evenyone else has to "wear" that one. It would appear there was a strategy to try to confuse the Maryland defense - down 2 star players - by rolling out anyone and everyone in whatever combination came up on the bingo wheel. Marquis and Chauvette on the first man-up? - Grimes 5th on the team in scoring doesn't make an appearance for several runs?
As Sheila Broslovsky would say "Whah Whah Whah???"

I was a much younger man then but I believe there is a story of Hopkins replacing the season long goalie for someone else and dividends were realized. It may be time - there is just too much net to shoot at with a goalie that is 4-5 inches below the crossbar. Not his fault - doesn't mean that he is no less the great leader - teammate - person that he is but my math unfortunately was pretty spot on - Maryland put 24 shots on goal - if the goalie is at 55% that's 10.8 goals and not 14. With the stick technology and the training these days too many people can shoot it 90+ and put it in ridiculous spots. Fraycon - who probably played as poorly as he maybe has all year - still faced 34 rubber spheres and stopped 17 of them.

In addition - my comment about SSDMs of slighter weight and stature may be appropriate as there was a conspicuous mismatch where a Maryland midfielder 6'3" and 200 ;bs pretty much had his way with a SSDM that was 5'9" and 165 lbs - again not the SSDMs fault - he is still a good person - great teammate etc. etc. he just can't deal with someone a half foot taller and 35 lbs heavier.

Then there are the turnovers - so many careless ones that were not necessary and no one but Collison and Melendez seemed to want to press the issue. Angelus did not take a shot - nobody but Collison Melendez and Degnon took more than 2 shots.

It was a total team failure and they literally threw away any opportunity for the 4 seed and again 6-7 means the trip is likely Duke/Notre Dame and UVA in whatever order.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:18 pm Well Well Well - that was a total team loss - maybe the waterboy and Jay Dyer are exempt but evenyone else has to "wear" that one. It would appear there was a strategy to try to confuse the Maryland defense - down 2 star players - by rolling out anyone and everyone in whatever combination came up on the bingo wheel. Marquis and Chauvette on the first man-up? - Grimes 5th on the team in scoring doesn't make an appearance for several runs?
As Sheila Broslovsky would say "Whah Whah Whah???"

I was a much younger man then but I believe there is a story of Hopkins replacing the season long goalie for someone else and dividends were realized. It may be time - there is just too much net to shoot at with a goalie that is 4-5 inches below the crossbar. Not his fault - doesn't mean that he is no less the great leader - teammate - person that he is but my math unfortunately was pretty spot on - Maryland put 24 shots on goal - if the goalie is at 55% that's 10.8 goals and not 14. With the stick technology and the training these days too many people can shoot it 90+ and put it in ridiculous spots. Fraycon - who probably played as poorly as he maybe has all year - still faced 34 rubber spheres and stopped 17 of them.

In addition - my comment about SSDMs of slighter weight and stature may be appropriate as there was a conspicuous mismatch where a Maryland midfielder 6'3" and 200 ;bs pretty much had his way with a SSDM that was 5'9" and 165 lbs - again not the SSDMs fault - he is still a good person - great teammate etc. etc. he just can't deal with someone a half foot taller and 35 lbs heavier.

Then there are the turnovers - so many careless ones that were not necessary and no one but Collison and Melendez seemed to want to press the issue. Angelus did not take a shot - nobody but Collison Melendez and Degnon took more than 2 shots.

It was a total team failure and they literally threw away any opportunity for the 4 seed and again 6-7 means the trip is likely Duke/Notre Dame and UVA in whatever order.
I would not object to starting Gib Versfeld in goal for the NCAA tournament.

Tim Marcille has had a terrific season, but he definitely let in some goals today that he would want back.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

There is some truth to the "it's hard to beat the same team twice" narrative, especially when the coach of the other team is Tillman. He made the adjustments they needed to make and that's why he makes the Final Four pretty much every year.

The Jays have not played their best after emotional wins. This has been a trend all season. Beat then-#3 Georgetown by one? Lay an egg against UNC a week later. Beat Petro/Cuse up in the Dome? Come out flat against Navy and almost blow a game to an inferior opponent. Get the Rutgers monkey off your back on senior day? Blow a big first quarter lead and lose in 2OT to PSU. Beat Maryland in the Rivalry game?....lose to Maryland in the Rivalry game. It's been a pretty clear pattern.

I'm not really worried about the off-ball miscues today. I would be if that were a longterm trend, but that hasn't really been a problem all year. They'll sort it out. I don't know what they're going to do in goal though. I can't see them making a move now after we've gotten this far but it goes without saying #10 has to step up if this team is going to make a run.

I hope they don't abandon the deep midfield because of this loss. It has been a boon for us all year. We didn't lose today because we played too many guys. What's *very* clear to me though is Brooks English should not be rotated out ever. He creates offense every single time he steps on the field. If they want to mix and match Evans, Chauvette, Peshko, etc. then fine but don't play those games with Collison and English. Get them out there every other shift at absolute minimum.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”