York 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxrealist

Re: York 2023

Post by Laxrealist »

Putting aside the polls' impact (or lack of) on NCAA selection, the rankings from 6-15 or so are very difficult this year. I don't think anyone can say York is or isn't definitely 8-10. After the top 5, there are about a bunch of teams that seem fairly lumped together who beat one another and/or had tough/close games against very good teams - in no particular order: Amherst, Bowdoin, Dickinson, Gettysburg, Lynchburg, W&L, York, St. Lawrence, Union, WIlliams and likely others. Some play in conferences that are stronger top to bottom; most have high quality wins; and a few have a bad loss. York has no real quality wins (Denison is as close as they get) but has 3 one-goal losses, lost three games to the teams listed above, plays in a weak conference, but has no bad losses. Similar things can be said for and against most of these teams. I have no doubt that any of them can beat or lose to any of the others on a given day, which is what will make for some great match ups if most can find a path into the tournament.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Laxrealist wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:44 pm Putting aside the polls' impact (or lack of) on NCAA selection, the rankings from 6-15 or so are very difficult this year. I don't think anyone can say York is or isn't definitely 8-10. After the top 5, there are about a bunch of teams that seem fairly lumped together who beat one another and/or had tough/close games against very good teams - in no particular order: Amherst, Bowdoin, Dickinson, Gettysburg, Lynchburg, W&L, York, St. Lawrence, Union, WIlliams and likely others. Some play in conferences that are stronger top to bottom; most have high quality wins; and a few have a bad loss. York has no real quality wins (Denison is as close as they get) but has 3 one-goal losses, lost three games to the teams listed above, plays in a weak conference, but has no bad losses. Similar things can be said for and against most of these teams. I have no doubt that any of them can beat or lose to any of the others on a given day, which is what will make for some great match ups if most can find a path into the tournament.
Denison is a quality win, being regionally ranked. They themselves have regionally ranked wins vs Gettysburg, HSC, and OWU. They’re a key regionally ranked win for W&L, York, and Kenyon.

If I were building a schedule for one of those #6-15 teams next year, I’d plan a tour de region V in early March. Cleaning up on a few low hanging regionally ranked wins before settling into my real meat and potatoes OOC.

Now if F&M beats Muhlenberg, I wonder what that would do to their regional rankings…
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I guess what would concern me if I was York are the teams that we lost to that will not win their conference as it is possible that W&L, Gettysburg, and Amherst will all lose in their conference tourney but all have wins over York which could be an important criterion when it comes to at-large bids. Can York make the tourney without a Conference auto-bid? win the conference and they are in Lose and they leave it up to others.
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

Asgot wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:13 am I guess what would concern me if I was York are the teams that we lost to that will not win their conference as it is possible that W&L, Gettysburg, and Amherst will all lose in their conference tourney but all have wins over York which could be an important criterion when it comes to at-large bids. Can York make the tourney without a Conference auto-bid? win the conference and they are in Lose and they leave it up to others.
It's a fight. Dont leave it up to the judges. Win and you're in
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:07 pm
Laxrealist wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:44 pm Putting aside the polls' impact (or lack of) on NCAA selection, the rankings from 6-15 or so are very difficult this year. I don't think anyone can say York is or isn't definitely 8-10. After the top 5, there are about a bunch of teams that seem fairly lumped together who beat one another and/or had tough/close games against very good teams - in no particular order: Amherst, Bowdoin, Dickinson, Gettysburg, Lynchburg, W&L, York, St. Lawrence, Union, WIlliams and likely others. Some play in conferences that are stronger top to bottom; most have high quality wins; and a few have a bad loss. York has no real quality wins (Denison is as close as they get) but has 3 one-goal losses, lost three games to the teams listed above, plays in a weak conference, but has no bad losses. Similar things can be said for and against most of these teams. I have no doubt that any of them can beat or lose to any of the others on a given day, which is what will make for some great match ups if most can find a path into the tournament.
Denison is a quality win, being regionally ranked. They themselves have regionally ranked wins vs Gettysburg, HSC, and OWU. They’re a key regionally ranked win for W&L, York, and Kenyon.

If I were building a schedule for one of those #6-15 teams next year, I’d plan a tour de region V in early March. Cleaning up on a few low hanging regionally ranked wins before settling into my real meat and potatoes OOC.

Now if F&M beats Muhlenberg, I wonder what that would do to their regional rankings…
The problem with scheduling region V teams is that you can't guarantee which ones will be regionally ranked come the end of the season. If they end up not being ranked then you end up just having a weak out of conference schedule. York should continue to schedule the way they have been for the past few years. It continues to keep the York "brand" front and center in the D3 lacrosse landscape which is great for recruiting.
IMO York does not have anything to worry about. They will beat Stevenson in the MAC final. Their coach is too good to let the team fall into any kind of trap that would have the team thinking it's a lock.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Asgot wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:13 am I guess what would concern me if I was York are the teams that we lost to that will not win their conference as it is possible that W&L, Gettysburg, and Amherst will all lose in their conference tourney but all have wins over York which could be an important criterion when it comes to at-large bids. Can York make the tourney without a Conference auto-bid? win the conference and they are in Lose and they leave it up to others.
I am pretty sure ncaa will also look at trends. You want the better teams getting into the tourney. So a York loss to W&L in the first week isn’t going to hold much weight compared to a losing a few late in the season. I don’t think any teams with multiple losses in late April/May, should even be considered.

I think 38 teams is way tooo many. I think teams that can’t make the conference final should not be considered.

If York can not beat an unranked Stevenson/Eastern to win the MAC, they really shouldn’t be in the tourney. For York, the next loss will be the last loss of the season.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:26 am
I am pretty sure ncaa will also look at trends. You want the better teams getting into the tourney. So a York loss to W&L in the first week isn’t going to hold much weight compared to a losing a few late in the season. I don’t think any teams with multiple losses in late April/May, should even be considered.

I think 38 teams is way tooo many. I think teams that can’t make the conference final should not be considered.

If York can not beat an unranked Stevenson/Eastern to win the MAC, they really shouldn’t be in the tourney. For York, the next loss will be the last loss of the season.
I agree York would be in survive and advance mode starting tomorrow
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:07 pm
…Now if F&M beats Muhlenberg, I wonder what that would do to their regional rankings…
Oooooohhhh BABY!
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

After a slow start York pulls away from Weidner. Lots of young guys scoring and Will Harnick has just been on a tear. York was able to rest the starters from most of the 2nd half. Hopefully that extra rest helps as they will need to play a full 60 minute game to win on Saturday.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Asgot wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:25 am After a slow start York pulls away from Weidner. Lots of young guys scoring and Will Harnick has just been on a tear. York was able to rest the starters from most of the 2nd half. Hopefully that extra rest helps as they will need to play a full 60 minute game to win on Saturday.
Saturday will be interesting. Stevenson had a scare last night. They were down 5-9 in the 3rd at one point. Then scored 12 in the second half. Talk about a slow start. I hope York is 100% focused
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

It is funny how a 3-peat for York seems like a ho-hum event. What a great day for the Spartans as after withstanding an early barrage by Stevenson York once again dominate them especially on defense. Just a great game plan and even better execution by the entire York defensive group. The close defense of Blackmon, Hull and Biava have really become a terrific unit. The poles are simply tough to handle, Greene is a problem at the top but Mentzer, shields, Sock, Jens and Shea have all stepped up their game. Shea had a huge go and clear late in the game.

Offensively, Will Harnick continues to have a great season and yesterday Wilhelm and Grayson chipped in with hat tricks as they lead a very solid offensive effort.

I was disappointed in the Stevenson coach as had called for a stick check in the last 2 minutes on the York fogo. The stick was illegal after an entire game of faceoff’s. While a legal play I was simple cheap and classless. Now before you tell me he is trying to win the game he was down 5 and under 2 minutes left in the game. Just an unneeded call by a coach with a reputation for being very hard on the ref’s
YCOLaxFanSU

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

I was disappointed in the Stevenson coach as had called for a stick check in the last 2 minutes on the York fogo. The stick was illegal after an entire game of faceoff’s. While a legal play I was simple cheap and classless. Now before you tell me he is trying to win the game he was down 5 and under 2 minutes left in the game. Just an unneeded call by a coach with a reputation for being very hard on the ref’s
Definitely a weird time to call a stick check.

Not a big Cantabene fan but not sure it is cheap and classless to catch an opposing player with an illegal stick at any point in the game. Maybe don't use an illegal stick.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

YCOLaxFanSU wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:57 pm

Not a big Cantabene fan but not sure it is cheap and classless to catch an opposing player with an illegal stick at any point in the game. Maybe don't use an illegal stick.
Coach Code has typically been no stick checks on FOGOs. That said, the 3 min vs 1 min tells you it was something they deemed intensional (ie not pinched from FOs)
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

NElaxtalent wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:47 pm

Coach Code has typically been no stick checks on FOGOs. That said, the 3 min vs 1 min tells you it was something they deemed intensional (ie not pinched from FOs)
Did anyone get the scoop on what was illegal? Head too pinched? Pocket too deep? Pole too short?
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

Not true. A 1 minute penalty is for an illegal pocket. A 3 minute is typically for anything else, like pinch or crosse length. MOST fogos would have what would be considered an illegal head. Watch the faceoffs. There is no way around the fact that the heads will absolutely deform when being pushed to the limit and bent like that. It was a Busch league desperation move.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:36 pm

Did anyone get the scoop on what was illegal? Head too pinched? Pocket too deep? Pole too short?
Stick was to pinched at the throat. That is a three minute non releaseable.
As some else had already stated the number of faceoffs being taken and the abuse that the stick take make it virtually impossible of the stick to be legal at the end of a game.
No ref will take a face-off stick during regular stick checks, and do not like it when coaches ask of it on a fogo. This is why I called it bush league. The coach knew it would be illegal as Facciponti took all of the face-offs for York that day.
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

Silly question, can a FOGO fix that head after the game or do they have to replace the head for the next game?

Do FOGOs burn through a certain number of heads each season?
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Jknows wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:05 pm Silly question, can a FOGO fix that head after the game or do they have to replace the head for the next game?

Do FOGOs burn through a certain number of heads each season?
They can fix it, you usually see a fogo with either a hockey puck or a softball stuck in there stick to keep it legal. But if you faceoff and run down the field and score and go back to the dot it is likely illegal
YCOLaxFanSU

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

York heads to Boston. They start out with Cabrini and then will likely play Tufts.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

YCOLaxFanSU wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:37 pm York heads to Boston. They start out with Cabrini and then will likely play Tufts.
York might have the worst draw of all teams. Longest distance for first game (6.5 hr drive). Tough first game and then toughest second round of all teams. Committee must think York ended the season around the 16th best team

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”