At Large Predictions based on RPI, SOS and Quality Wins: UPDATED April 30

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laf

At Large Predictions based on RPI, SOS and Quality Wins: UPDATED April 30

Post by laf »

Last edited by laf on Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brownlax

Re: At Large Predictions based on RPI, SOS and Quality Wins

Post by Brownlax »

laf wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:59 pm http://www.laxmath.com/preview.htm
Denver at #12
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:08 pm
laf wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:59 pm http://www.laxmath.com/preview.htm
Denver at #12
This #12 ranking seems patently absurd to me. Denver is perfect so far this season and has beaten FIVE top 20 teams in this ranking, three of them away from home, yet are still ranked #12 here? About one third of Denver's schedule are top 20 ranked teams...

DU has beaten #5 Maryland at Maryland, #3 BC at a neutral field, #14 Michigan at home, #15 Connecticut at UConn, and #20 Villanova at home. Also beat #21 Jacksonville at Jax.

DU's RPI is #6, and the QWF is #3, but #33 in Strength of Schedule?

DU only had three non league home games - Three. Went on the road for seven non league games, flying all over the country to do it, playing mostly much larger Power 5 schools on the road - Ohio State, Maryland, Vanderbilt, BC, Louisville, Colorado as well as at Jacksonville. #33 SOS seems exceedingly harsh...
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

Denver is getting the same treatment that Stony Brook has dealt with over the years. A conference with another tournament team (maybe Marquette) and a bunch of lower level teams (Butler, Xavier) that drag down your rating.

More interesting to me is how different these projections are compared to laxreference projections. If it is just math, I wonder where they vary in their formula?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

PhanLax99 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:23 am Denver is getting the same treatment that Stony Brook has dealt with over the years. A conference with another tournament team (maybe Marquette) and a bunch of lower level teams (Butler, Xavier) that drag down your rating.

More interesting to me is how different these projections are compared to laxreference projections. If it is just math, I wonder where they vary in their formula?
And Loyola
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:43 pm
PhanLax99 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:23 am Denver is getting the same treatment that Stony Brook has dealt with over the years. A conference with another tournament team (maybe Marquette) and a bunch of lower level teams (Butler, Xavier) that drag down your rating.

And Loyola
Loyola is ranked 8th
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Brownlax wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:58 pm

And Loyola
Loyola is ranked 8th
I was responding to the weak conference argument
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

And Loyola
A bit of a tangent, but would love to see Loyola compete in the BIG10 for men's & women's lacrosse and have the rest of their sports remain in the patriot league. Not sure it's possible, but would make a ton of sense from a strength of schedule perspective.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:04 pm

And Loyola
A bit of a tangent, but would love to see Loyola compete in the BIG10 for men's & women's lacrosse and have the rest of their sports remain in the patriot league. Not sure it's possible, but would make a ton of sense from a strength of schedule perspective.
Is that even allowed in the Big Ten? Is football a mandatory sport?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:25 pm

And Loyola
JHU doesn't participate in BIG10 football, so assume it can be done
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:49 pm

And Loyola
My mind jumped to JHU as well but thought it might not be the same as the rest of JHU’s sports compete at the DIII level and that just seems like a “better excuse” for a lack of better phrasing.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:49 pm

And Loyola
OBVIOUSLY, JHU does not compete in Big Ten football. Would the Big Ten even consider JHU since they would NOT be competing in Big Ten Football?
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Hopkins IS in the b10.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

laxfan22 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:43 am Hopkins IS in the b10.
Total Brain Fart on my part :D
jff97

Post by jff97 »

They posted the current committee rankings at halftime. Only caught a glimpse of it but JMU was 5 and Denver was 6.
Lax101

Re: At Large Predictions based on RPI, SOS and Quality Wins: UPDATED April 30

Post by Lax101 »

Good chance Denver and JMU will switch spots. Denver will benefit from BC's improved ranking.
@inthe8m

Re: At Large Predictions based on RPI, SOS and Quality Wins: UPDATED April 30

Post by @inthe8m »

Lax101 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:28 pm Good chance Denver and JMU will switch spots. Denver will benefit from BC's improved ranking.
Denver was already ahead of JMU in RPI and the committee still had JMU ranked ahead of Denver in the committee rankings. Not sure anything has changed.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”