Coaching Carousel 2023 - D1

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ICGrad

Re: Coaching Carousel 2023 - D1

Post by ICGrad »

Brownlax wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:28 pm
ICGrad wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:05 pm
August wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:12 pm Lets hope Breschi gets a 10 year extension. -Rest of the ACC
So, is the culture at UNC particularly toxic or something?

I mean, Breschi has had some rough (by ACC standards) stretches. But he's also 2 years removed from a 1-goal semifinal loss to the eventual national champion, and 6 years removed from a national championship. I understand that his program lacks the kind of consistency of, say, a Duke or a Virginia, but they haven't been bad over his tenure and they've had definite flashes.
Plus he’s a great guy and his players love him.
Is that the issue? Do his players hate playing for him?

Like I asked, is the culture particularly toxic there? I admit to not paying a ton of attention to the goings-on at UNC.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:37 pm
ICGrad wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:59 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:56 pm Why would DeLuca want to move from Delaware ?
I imagine he wouldn't...unless a job like UNC fell in his lap and lured him away.
DeLuca has built something long term at Delaware,

its going to take a lot lot more than just a job
“falling in his lap.”
UNC isn't "just a job."
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

ICGrad wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:41 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:56 pm Why would DeLuca want to move from Delaware ?
I imagine he wouldn't...unless a job like UNC fell in his lap and lured him away.

“falling in his lap.”
UNC isn't "just a job."
DeLuca has it all at Delaware.
He’s got recruits. They’re putting a lot of funding into that program. Delaware is odds on favorite to get to their 2nd straight NCAA. They made the quarterfinals last year. DeLuca is under no compulsion to hit the transfer portal. DeLuca is not under any sort of pressure from Delaware AD or Board personality-wise, the relationship with DeLuca seems good. They play in a great stadium. Delaware is in a terrific location for recruiting.
I could go on and on.
There is zero reason to drop everything to move on, UNC or not.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:52 pm

“falling in his lap.”
UNC isn't "just a job."
He’s got recruits. They’re putting a lot of funding into that program. Delaware is odds on favorite to get to their 2nd straight NCAA. They made the quarterfinals last year. DeLuca is under no compulsion to hit the transfer portal. DeLuca is not under any sort of pressure from Delaware AD or Board personality-wise, the relationship with DeLuca seems good. They play in a great stadium. Delaware is in a terrific location for recruiting.
I could go on and on.
Sure

And UNC is one of the elite programs in D-I lacrosse. You leave a job like Delaware because a job like UNC offers you a clearer path to a national championship, because of the challenge of competing in one of the elite conferences in the nation, etc.

Coaches do this all the time, even in lacrosse. Milliman leaving Cornell for Hopkins, Tiffany leaving Brown (his alma mater, no less) for Virginia, etc. They leave for the money, the prestige, the profile, the chance to win a title, the chance to revive an elite program.

Is it going to happen? Probably not, but I imagine he would take a serious look at what UNC was offering if they came calling.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

No one is staying at Delaware if they have the opportunity to go to UNC - including the entire Blue Hens’ roster.
Laxhog

Post by Laxhog »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:52 pm

“falling in his lap.”
UNC isn't "just a job."
I could go on and on.
Sure, Deluca loves all the exposure his team get on Flosports and Lacrosse TV :lol:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Danowski got a contract extension through 2023. Has anything happened since. Last i heard he was trying to arrange Matt as his successor. I have no close ties to Duke lax so have no special knowledge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DeLuca appears to have found a good fit at Delaware.
The success to date has a good chance of continuing.

I think he would have the same difficulties at UNC with its players and administration as he had in the Ivies.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ICGrad wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:40 pm
Brownlax wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:28 pm
ICGrad wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:05 pm
August wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:12 pm Lets hope Breschi gets a 10 year extension. -Rest of the ACC
So, is the culture at UNC particularly toxic or something?

I mean, Breschi has had some rough (by ACC standards) stretches. But he's also 2 years removed from a 1-goal semifinal loss to the eventual national champion, and 6 years removed from a national championship. I understand that his program lacks the kind of consistency of, say, a Duke or a Virginia, but they haven't been bad over his tenure and they've had definite flashes.
Plus he’s a great guy and his players love him.
Is that the issue? Do his players hate playing for him?

Like I asked, is the culture particularly toxic there? I admit to not paying a ton of attention to the goings-on at UNC.
If you're asking about Breschi, no the culture is positive and he's very much appreciated by his players and by the administration.

Is it possible that an AD would put more consistent national championship contention over positive culture?
Possible...but when someone suggests DeLuca, wow.
That's certainly a contrast.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Don't state university guys never want to leave because of the attractiveness of the pension? That's what I was always told....golden ticket once you can land that gig...
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

NNELax wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:16 am Don't state university guys never want to leave because of the attractiveness of the pension? That's what I was always told....golden ticket once you can land that gig...
I would imagine that this varies greatly state-to-state.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

SkipPass wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:12 am No one is staying at Delaware if they have the opportunity to go to UNC - including the entire Blue Hens’ roster.
Delaware has quite a few fourth and fifth year seniors (Tye Kurtz, Mike Robinson, Owen Grant, Kevin McCormick and Tate Wasson) that could have entered the portal and transferred to ANY school.

Breschi, Tillman, Danowski, Warne, Tiffany, Gait and others would have sent private jets to get Kurtz and Grant had they entered the portal. But they chose to stay. Says a lot about the University, the Culture and the Coach.

I am sure DeLuca would, and will explore any coaching opportunities should they come up. Hope he stays though.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:45 am If you're asking about Breschi, no the culture is positive and he's very much appreciated by his players and by the administration.

Is it possible that an AD would put more consistent national championship contention over positive culture?
Possible...but when someone suggests DeLuca, wow.
That's certainly a contrast.
Seems to me that they're largely competitive within the ACC, and just two years ago were competing for a national championship. The last couple of years have been sub-par (though by no means catastrophic), but he's shown he's capable of leading the program to the promised land.

Yes, they're a step behind the heavy hitters in their conference, but jettisoning him and hoping for a new coach to take you to the same level as a Virginia is pretty risky. Just ask any of the SEC schools who have had revolving doors of coaches as they desperately try to best Alabama.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Henpecked wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:27 am
SkipPass wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:12 am No one is staying at Delaware if they have the opportunity to go to UNC - including the entire Blue Hens’ roster.
Delaware has quite a few fourth and fifth year seniors (Tye Kurtz, Mike Robinson, Owen Grant, Kevin McCormick and Tate Wasson) that could have entered the portal and transferred to ANY school.

Breschi, Tillman, Danowski, Warne, Tiffany, Gait and others would have sent private jets to get Kurtz and Grant had they entered the portal. But they chose to stay. Says a lot about the University, the Culture and the Coach.

I am sure DeLuca would, and will explore any coaching opportunities should they come up. Hope he stays though.
It's been a good fit ;) and as I predicted when he landed the job, it was likely that he would improve the fortunes of the program given the support he was given. And I'd predict those fortunes will continue for at least a cycle or two. And if he and his family are 'happy' that's something to hold on to, IMO.

Delaware alums are very supportive and thankful he's there.

I just don't think he'd be any better fit at UNC than he was in the Ivies. But possible that he'd be considered at some programs. But I think Delaware is a really good situation for him.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

ICGrad wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:31 am Yes, they're a step behind the heavy hitters in their conference, but jettisoning him and hoping for a new coach to take you to the same level as a Virginia is pretty risky. Just ask any of the SEC schools who have had revolving doors of coaches as they desperately try to best Alabama.
Why is it any riskier than doing nothing and just hoping things turn around? As you said, they're already a step behind.

If the goal is to go 7-7 and miss the tournament most years, then there's plenty of other coaches who can do that just fine. Feels like if they are ever going to make a change, it would be now, otherwise just give Breschi a lifetime appointment and cut out all the uncertainty.

UNC the school recruits itself. IF they were to hire a new coach, that person shouldn't have much trouble bringing good players in.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:00 am
ICGrad wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:31 am Yes, they're a step behind the heavy hitters in their conference, but jettisoning him and hoping for a new coach to take you to the same level as a Virginia is pretty risky. Just ask any of the SEC schools who have had revolving doors of coaches as they desperately try to best Alabama.
Why is it any riskier than doing nothing and just hoping things turn around? As you said, they're already a step behind.

If the goal is to go 7-7 and miss the tournament most years, then there's plenty of other coaches who can do that just fine. Feels like if they are ever going to make a change, it would be now, otherwise just give Breschi a lifetime appointment and cut out all the uncertainty.

UNC the school recruits itself. IF they were to hire a new coach, that person shouldn't have much trouble bringing good players in.
That's true, but winning championships is another matter. No guarantees.
Being at least in the hunt most years is a reasonable goal, and unless UNC is in a death spiral, which at least IMO it hasn't been, no reason to expect things to worsen rather than bounce back.

Where coaches tend to get bounced or 'not-renewed' is when there are other frictions as well as slippage in winning...I haven't heard that to be the case at UNC, but if that was present, then sure, now would be the time.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Again, looking at the SEC as an example, the risk is that you jettison a good-to-great coach in the hopes of landing a coach that will take your program to that elite level...and end up doing the same thing 3-5 years down the road. And then again. And then again.

There's something to be said for stability, especially when you have a coach who has an NC under his belt and who was competing for another NC just two seasons ago. Unless there's strong reason that the program is deteriorating (and that could be the case), and not just going through a down-ish cycle, you risk ending up worse off than you were and facing having to fire the new HC 5 years down the line.

Not every coaching move yields positive results; some yield disastrous results (NCAA violations, toxic environments that erode recruiting and set a program back by at least several years, etc). When you're firing a coach like Breschi you absolutely run the risk of ending up in a worse, not better, place.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:28 am

Being at least in the hunt most years is a reasonable goal, and unless UNC is in a death spiral, which at least IMO it hasn't been, no reason to expect things to worsen rather than bounce back.

Where coaches tend to get bounced or 'not-renewed' is when there are other frictions as well as slippage in winning...I haven't heard that to be the case at UNC, but if that was present, then sure, now would be the time.
Except UNC hasn't been in the hunt most years unless you have a very charitable definition of either "in the hunt" or "most years."

I wouldn't say they're in a death spiral either but shouldn't you want to make a move before that has a chance of happening? Things may not be completely dire but they can get worse. See: Hopkins, Johns. A lot of people didn't think it could get much worse than 2016 or 2017. Then 2019 happened. Then before you know it you're 2-4, getting destroyed by peer programs every week, and needing an overtime miracle to beat Mount St. Mary's at home.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:45 am

If you're asking about Breschi, no the culture is positive and he's very much appreciated by his players and by the administration.

Doubt you have any idea what the "culure" is like. Lots of players with eligibility bailed for other venues. Seems odd.
Is it possible that an AD would put more consistent national championship contention over positive culture? No...not possible. :lol:
Possible...but when someone suggests DeLuca, wow. Wow, what? As in, NO way.....pleaze, getta outta here with this ?
That's certainly a contrast. To what, or whom?
Tar Heels, one "championship" in the past 30 years**...........elite :lol:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:49 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:28 am

Except UNC hasn't been in the hunt most years unless you have a very charitable definition of either "in the hunt" or "most years."

I wouldn't say they're in a death spiral either but shouldn't you want to make a move before that has a chance of happening? Things may not be completely dire but they can get worse. See: Hopkins, Johns. A lot of people didn't think it could get much worse than 2016 or 2017. Then 2019 happened. Then before you know it you're 2-4, getting destroyed by peer programs every week, and needing an overtime miracle to beat Mount St. Mary's at home.
No no.....Hopkins made the n$aa, as one of the best teams in the land, in 2019. Be it not for a lousy push call, they would have won that first round game against the Irish. Typical, of a first round Hopkins n$aa lacrosse game. Competitive. :lol: Heck, at least, by virtue of invitation, Hopkins was "in the hunt" :lol:

2020........THAT......was the Mt. St. Mary's year..

This year......Tar Heels won, or lost, against Hopkins?

exactly
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”