NCAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Switzerland

Re: NCAC 2023

Post by Switzerland »

jetdirect47 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:10 pm Anyone know the date of the Denison/Wooster make-up from earlier in the season? It's a conference game, so I'm assuming they have to make it up before the tournament?
Looks like Den/Woo is next Thursday. Wooster looks like they were supposed to be off during the week and play Hiram on Saturday. Denison has them bookended by Hiram on Tuesday and Wabash on Saturday.

Any thoughts on games tomorrow? Battle of the rebrands looks like it is the most competitive tilt of the bunch with the rest as follows:
Witt-Wabash
Hiram-OWU (canceled)
Denison-Depauw
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Thanks for the Denison v Wooster update Switzerland!

As for today's games, I'm calling them ...

- The now Kenyon Owls over the now Wooster Scottish Terriers 12-8 this tilt will go a long way in setting the tournament seeding
- Denison Big Red over DePauw Tigers 18-4 no further comment necessary
- Wittenberg Tigers over the Wabash Little Giants 16-8 both are just playing out the string unfortunately
bulldodge97

Post by bulldodge97 »

Battle for the 2 seed could get reallllllll interesting pending the outcome of today's Kenyon-Wooster game. That being said, my thoughts for today's action:

Witt 18, Wabash 7. Snoozer.
Wooster 14, Kenyon 13 OT. Chandler steps up in cage and Wooster's two-headed faceoff monster neutralize Nelson enough. Chaos for the 2 seed.
Denison 20, Depauw 2. Enough said.

Anyone have any insight as to why Hiram-OWU was cancelled?
LaxRatinOH2

Post by LaxRatinOH2 »

Injuries and not enough bodies to play was the reason
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

LaxRatinOH2 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:30 am Injuries and not enough bodies to play was the reason
Are they cancelling the rest of the season? Or just this game?
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

LaxRatinOH2 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:30 am Injuries and not enough bodies to play was the reason
Not surprising! We've talked about the small roster size (19 listed) and how that is a detriment to practice. But when you think about it, no wonder kids get hurt. Asking that small number to shoulder the whole load of practice and game time, I'm not surprised they have many injuries. I'm sure somewhere in the school's Athletic description it mentions player safety as a "primary concern" .... reallly?

They've had a tiny roster forever.... maybe they need to rethink if they should even compete at Varsity level.
LaxRatinOH2

Post by LaxRatinOH2 »

Game is being rescheduled for May 1st. Prior coaching staff didn’t do this new staff any help. Good thing for the future is that Welch has 18 commitments so far for next year.
ohiolacrossefan11

Post by ohiolacrossefan11 »

Ned watch your mouth when you got the scots name in it. Better focus on pronouncing last names correctly and picking up the pieces after the scots slay the owls. :shock:

Nosey Ned wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:11 am Thanks for the Denison v Wooster update Switzerland!

- The now Kenyon Owls over the now Wooster Scottish Terriers 12-8 this tilt will go a long way in setting the tournament seeding
- Wittenberg Tigers over the Wabash Little Giants 16-8 both are just playing out the string unfortunately
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

ohiolacrossefan11 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:14 am Ned watch your mouth when you got the scots name in it. Better focus on pronouncing last names correctly and picking up the pieces after the scots slay the owls. :shock:

Nosey Ned wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:11 am Thanks for the Denison v Wooster update Switzerland!

BIGDAWG burner account?
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Witt scores with 2:11 remaining to break the tie

by quarter:
Witt 6 1 1 3 -- 11
Wabash 0 3 4 3 -- 10
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:54 pm Witt scores with 2:11 remaining to break the tie

by quarter:
Witt 6 1 1 3 -- 11
Wabash 0 3 4 3 -- 10
:shock:
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

How'd we do?

Kenyon ran past Wooster 12-4. I read where Wooster took the "fighting" out of their nickname but I guess there's no bite in the Scottish Terriers now either. Wooster will be the 4th seed.

Denison made that long trip to DePauw and took care of business 17-3 as expected.

Wabash Little Giants certainly had more fight than expected as they battled back against Witt, erasing a 6 goal deficit but come up just short of the upset - losing 11-10.
laxrat2000

Post by laxrat2000 »

Not Suitable wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:18 am
ohiolacrossefan11 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:14 am Ned watch your mouth when you got the scots name in it. Better focus on pronouncing last names correctly and picking up the pieces after the scots slay the owls. :shock:

BIGDAWG burner account?
Scotts slay the Owls? Comical. Ohiolacrossefan11 must not be too familiar with Ohio lacrosse. 12-4!
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

laxrat2000 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:09 pm
Not Suitable wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:18 am

BIGDAWG burner account?
Scotts slay the Owls? Comical. Ohiolacrossefan11 must not be too familiar with Ohio lacrosse. 12-4!
Only getting worse for the Wooster Scottish Terriers… no fight, no bite and apparently now not even teeth on these little dawgs as they drop a second straight NCAC game - this one to the Wittenberg Tigers by a score of 16-13. I had Wooster as a 6 goal favorite before the game. This shocker throws a 4 seed lifeline to Oberlin.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:24 pm
Only getting worse for the Wooster Scottish Terriers… no fight, no bite and apparently now not even teeth on these little dawgs as they drop a second straight NCAC game - this one to the Wittenberg Tigers by a score of 16-13. I had Wooster as a 6 goal favorite before the game. This shocker throws a 4 seed lifeline to Oberlin.
On Tuesday Oberlin hosts Kenyon, then on Thursday Wooster hosts Denison. Wittenberg has the same 3-3 conference record as Oberlin and Wooster, but has already played Denison, OWU and Kenyon, so let's not count out the Tigers for the 4th seed. Witt hosts Oberlin next Saturday after a Tuesday home game against DePauw. Oberlin would really need to rise to two big occasions to qualify for the tourney; but this does seem to be the year of surprises in NCAC conference play.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:00 pm
On Tuesday Oberlin hosts Kenyon, then on Thursday Wooster hosts Denison. Wittenberg has the same 3-3 conference record as Oberlin and Wooster, but has already played Denison, OWU and Kenyon, so let's not count out the Tigers for the 4th seed. Witt hosts Oberlin next Saturday after a Tuesday home game against DePauw. Oberlin would really need to rise to two big occasions to qualify for the tourney; but this does seem to be the year of surprises in NCAC conference play.
Hey Fann …. I’m not counting Witt out for the 4, but if I’m not mistaken if Oberlin beats Witt on the last day (and the rest of the conference slate plays out as expected) we could have 3 teams with 7-1 conference records (Denison, Kenyon and OWU) and 3 teams with 4-4 records (Oberlin, Wittenberg and Wooster). And where all 3 in both groups are 1-1 against the other 2. So we’d have to go to 2nd level tiebreaker rule as head to head doesn’t get a winner. Do you know the tiebreaker rules? Is it the same as the pandemic year, meaning goal differential in all league games with a max of 10 for any one game?
berryjames

Post by berryjames »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:25 pm
Hey Fann …. I’m not counting Witt out for the 4, but if I’m not mistaken if Oberlin beats Witt on the last day (and the rest of the conference slate plays out as expected) we could have 3 teams with 7-1 conference records (Denison, Kenyon and OWU) and 3 teams with 4-4 records (Oberlin, Wittenberg and Wooster). And where all 3 in both groups are 1-1 against the other 2. So we’d have to go to 2nd level tiebreaker rule as head to head doesn’t get a winner. Do you know the tiebreaker rules? Is it the same as the pandemic year, meaning goal differential in all league games with a max of 10 for any one game?
Pretty sure that the tie-breaker is the goal difference between the three teams when they play each other. So Wooster is at a +1 goal difference Wittenberg is at +3 right now, and Oberlin is at -4. If Oberlin beats Wittenberg by more than 6, then they will get the seed. While if they win by 5 they will go to a tiebreaker coin toss. If they win by less than 5 then Wooster has the best goal difference and makes it. If Wittenberg wins they make the playoffs.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

berryjames wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:00 pm
Nosey Ned wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:25 pm
Pretty sure that the tie-breaker is the goal difference between the three teams when they play each other. So Wooster is at a +1 goal difference Wittenberg is at +3 right now, and Oberlin is at -4. If Oberlin beats Wittenberg by more than 6, then they will get the seed. While if they win by 5 they will go to a tiebreaker coin toss. If they win by less than 5 then Wooster has the best goal difference and makes it. If Wittenberg wins they make the playoffs.
Using that criteria, the Denison Big Red (if they beat Woo, Hiram and Wabash of course) will earn the 1 seed as they are +5 whereas Kenyon is -1 and OWU is -4 in the games played between these 3 teams.
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

After goal differential to figure the 1 seed, does it then go to head to head for the 2 seed? Does that mean owu is 2 and kenton 3??
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

MarionBarry wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:46 am After goal differential to figure the 1 seed, does it then go to head to head for the 2 seed? Does that mean owu is 2 and kenton 3??
Good question…. I am following what you posted (I thought was goal differential for ALL conference games with a max of 10 for any one game - to avoid incentive to run up the score on a weaker teams). You said “were pretty sure” was GD in games just between those that are in the tie, so was assuming you were the one with more system knowledge than me. 😳

To be clear, I do not know the tiebreaker system used and can’t find anything on the Conference website about it.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”