2023 FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Lax101

Re: 2023 FanLax Forum Poll

Post by Lax101 »

Perhaps it is just me but does anyone else struggle with JMU being #5. Top 10 yes but top 5? They held on to beat MD by 1 in a game early in the year when MD was really struggling. And neither team looked like a top 10 team in that game. That game was also very hard to watch and not particularly well played by either team. To me a top 5 team is very well positioned for a championship run and certainly the final 4. I just dont see it with JMU. The defense can only take them so far. BTW this team is nothing like the JMU team that won it all - that team was loaded with talent on both ends of the field. Just my opinion. I wish they had some more challenging games to further demonstrate what they can do. Plenty of monster match-ups in the ACC to further see how teams like Cuse, UNC and BC stack up.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:21 pm Perhaps it is just me but does anyone else struggle with JMU being #5. Top 10 yes but top 5? They held on to beat MD by 1 in a game early in the year when MD was really struggling. And neither team looked like a top 10 team in that game. That game was also very hard to watch and not particularly well played by either team. To me a top 5 team is very well positioned for a championship run and certainly the final 4. I just dont see it with JMU. The defense can only take them so far. BTW this team is nothing like the JMU team that won it all - that team was loaded with talent on both ends of the field. Just my opinion. I wish they had some more challenging games to further demonstrate what they can do. Plenty of monster match-ups in the ACC to further see how teams like Cuse, UNC and BC stack up.
Yup, I struggled with it (but still have them No. 3), principally because UNC beat JMU in the first game of the season. I think the difference between Nos 3 down through No., say, 10, is really narrow.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

FanLax Computer wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:16 pm
@inthe8m wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:31 pm ... Any formula that has Marquette in the Top 15 has some errors in it.
Disagree. Their win ranking (#32) is not amazing but is also nothing to sneeze at (OSU, G'town, Cincinnati) but their only loss is to N'western. So one might say, PSU should be ahead of them and... I have PSU at #22. PSu's wins (Princeton, Towson Rutgers) are better than Marquette, though not amazing, and their losses are definitely worse and this hurts them (Vanderbilt-Yikes, Michigan, Loyola). Every game counts. Every W and L counts...
But, every game does not count in your formula - only the 3 best wins and the 3 worse losses. Marquette has not a single win that makes anyone say "Hey, that is a great win!" Not a single one. So, teams that are playing much, much, much tougher schedules seem to be penalized because they have losses.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:21 pm Perhaps it is just me but does anyone else struggle with JMU being #5. Top 10 yes but top 5? They held on to beat MD by 1 in a game early in the year when MD was really struggling. And neither team looked like a top 10 team in that game. That game was also very hard to watch and not particularly well played by either team. To me a top 5 team is very well positioned for a championship run and certainly the final 4. I just dont see it with JMU. The defense can only take them so far. BTW this team is nothing like the JMU team that won it all - that team was loaded with talent on both ends of the field. Just my opinion. I wish they had some more challenging games to further demonstrate what they can do. Plenty of monster match-ups in the ACC to further see how teams like Cuse, UNC and BC stack up.
You stated in the preseason that you thought BC would be better without Charlotte North. You certainly seem to have a lot of very "interesting" opinions.
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

@inthe8m wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:28 pm ... So, teams that are playing much, much, much tougher schedules seem to be penalized because they have losses.
SU, N'westrn, UNC, BC, and UMD all have Top 7 SOS (Strength of Schedules) and they are all in the Top 7 nationally. You're not penalized for a tougher SOS. Matter of fact, playing a tough SOS helps you because if/when you lose, it doesn't hurt you so much. You're not penalized for losses. You're penalized for bad losses. Similar to you're not rewarded for wins. You're rewarded for good wins.
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

FanLax Computer wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:34 pm
@inthe8m wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:28 pm ... So, teams that are playing much, much, much tougher schedules seem to be penalized because they have losses.
SU, N'westrn, UNC, BC, and UMD all have Top 7 SOS (Strength of Schedules) and they are all in the Top 7 nationally. You're not penalized for a tougher SOS. Matter of fact, playing a tough SOS helps you because if/when you lose, it doesn't hurt you so much. You're not penalized for losses. You're penalized for bad losses. Similar to you're not rewarded for wins. You're rewarded for good wins.
Yeah, that is how it works out for the teams at the top of the polls who have losses to other teams at the top of the polls. It does not work out for middle of the pack teams that play tougher schedules when compared to lower level teams like Marquette that play an extremely week schedule. And again, your formula does not account for every win and loss and the strength of those wins and losses - just the three best and three worse.

I will say that your calculator poll makes more sense to me than the USA lax mag poll that is clearly put together by someone who does not actually know the game.
FanLax Computer

@inthe8m wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:45 pm Yeah, that is how it works out for the teams at the top of the polls who have losses to other teams at the top of the polls. It does not work out for middle of the pack teams that play tougher schedules when compared to lower level teams like Marquette that play an extremely week schedule. And again, your formula does not account for every win and loss and the strength of those wins and losses - just the three best and three worse.
We do Best 3 Wins, Worst 3 Losses because if we did 5 Best or 7 Best, this would be unfair for the teams with weaker SOSs. Which doesn't seem right especially for teams in non-power conferences, teams with fewer quality teams around them.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

FanLax Computer wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:53 pm
@inthe8m wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:45 pm Yeah, that is how it works out for the teams at the top of the polls who have losses to other teams at the top of the polls. It does not work out for middle of the pack teams that play tougher schedules when compared to lower level teams like Marquette that play an extremely week schedule. And again, your formula does not account for every win and loss and the strength of those wins and losses - just the three best and three worse.
We do Best 3 Wins, Worst 3 Losses because if we did 5 Best or 7 Best, this would be unfair for the teams with weaker SOSs. Which doesn't seem right especially for teams in non-power conferences, teams with fewer quality teams around them.
Yes, it would be completely unfair to penalize teams with weaker SOSs![/sarcasm]
FanLax Computer

@inthe8m wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:56 pm Yes, it would be completely unfair to penalize teams with weaker SOSs![/sarcasm]
If a team has a weaker schedule. i.e. They simply haven't proven themselves at all. That team should be punished. Or, better, not rewarded. But the team that only has the ability of playing a handful of tough games due to logistical issues, they shouldn't be punished. Thus, 3 Best Wins.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

@inthe8m wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:34 pm
You stated in the preseason that you thought BC would be better without Charlotte North. You certainly seem to have a lot of very "interesting" opinions.
Not sure what one comment has to do with the other. I tend to think most people filling out a final four bracket today would not include JMU. Do you disagree? On the topic of BC, BC clearly misses CN as any team would but dont lose sight of the fact that BC will likely play Cuse next week for the regular season ACC title. Pretty good for a team without CN.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

@inthe8m wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:45 pm
Yeah, that is how it works out for the teams at the top of the polls who have losses to other teams at the top of the polls. It does not work out for middle of the pack teams that play tougher schedules when compared to lower level teams like Marquette that play an extremely week schedule. And again, your formula does not account for every win and loss and the strength of those wins and losses - just the three best and three worse.

I will say that your calculator poll makes more sense to me than the USA lax mag poll that is clearly put together by someone who does not actually know the game.
What don’t you like about the Nike poll? There’s nothing obviously wrong with it to my eye, as nobody after cuse and northwestern has really distinguished themselves. Unc beat jmu but lost to notre dame. Notre dame beat unc but was beaten pretty soundly by uva. Loyolas schedule is weak. Floridas best win is Maryland. Etc etc.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:15 am
@inthe8m wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:45 pm

What don’t you like about the Nike poll? There’s nothing obviously wrong with it to my eye, as nobody after cuse and northwestern has really distinguished themselves. Unc beat jmu but lost to notre dame. Notre dame beat unc but was beaten pretty soundly by uva. Loyolas schedule is weak. Floridas best win is Maryland. Etc etc.
Florida lost to Maryland in Gainesville. But agreed; after Nos. 1 and 2, it is really a crap-shoot.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Good grief! You are of course correct. Their best win is…Loyola!
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Too 5

Nw
Syracuse
Denver
JMU
Umd
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Essexfenwick wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:02 pm Too 5

Nw
Syracuse
Denver
JMU
Umd
I'm surprised at UMD at number 5
Bart

Post by Bart »

Brownlax wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:01 pm

Nw
Syracuse
Denver
JMU
Umd
Really? I'm surprised UMd wasn't #1 by this poster
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Bart wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:11 pm
Brownlax wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:01 pm

Nw
Syracuse
Denver
JMU
Umd
Really? I'm surprised UMd wasn't #1 by this poster
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

@inthe8m wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:58 pm
flashbacks....
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Big Ten and ACC looking very weak outside NW and Syracuse. UMD seems to be incrementally slightly improving while Unc/Bc are digressing from not very strong to begin with.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:14 pm Big Ten and ACC looking very weak outside NW and Syracuse. UMD seems to be incrementally slightly improving while Unc/Bc are digressing from not very strong to begin with.
I cant buy into Maryland anymore ever since last year where they were leading BC entire game with "Defense U" and the 1st team AA goalie and then lost at the end. Lost a lot of faith that day. And its not like BC was undefeated coming into the final 4.

** incrementally slightly improving” def took a step back from that tonight losing to Penn State.
Defender U!!!
Last edited by Madlax59 on Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”