Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by 10stone5 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:03 pm
blue angels wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:55 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:10 pm For what it's worth (not much), with Duke beating Virginia and Maryland losing to Michigan, The Big Red should move up to 3rd behind Duke & Notre Dame.
Who has Cornell beaten in the top 5, top 10? They might get ranked 2 in media or coach's but not seeing the case for it yet? Who you beat matters......
Lacrosse Reference has Cornell at #4 RPI, 1-1 vs 6-10, 3-0 vs 11-20. https://lacrossereference.com/stats/rpi-d1-men/
As 1313 mentioned,
Big Red with 1-1 record against 6-10, although the tOSU win will
probably drop back and make it 2-0 against 11-15, and 2-0
against 16-20.
laf also has RPI at #4 and Quality Wins at #4 - SoS is #12,

Big Red are a virtual lock for At Large,
and probably for a 1-5 seeding,
love it, hate it, it comes down to the numbers.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:10 pm For what it's worth (not much), with Duke beating Virginia and Maryland losing to Michigan, The Big Red should move up to 3rd behind Duke & Notre Dame.
This is an interesting question and not just for any team in particular but all teams.
You may play a team that let's say is #5 when you play them, and then you blast them by say 8, 10, 12 goals and that team all of a sudden drops precipitously in the rankings, so all of a sudden, you lose a top 5 win that becomes say a 15-20 win or lower.
So in reality, you playing great and annihilating a good team, may hurt you later as you loved playing great and winning big, but that big win also costs you a top 5/10 win, because since you whooped them, now they are not rated very high. Hmmmm.........
Gobigred
Joewillie78

Who has Cornell beaten in the top 5, top 10? They might get ranked 2 in media or coach's but not seeing the case for it yet? Who you beat matters......
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:36 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:03 pm
Lacrosse Reference has Cornell at #4 RPI, 1-1 vs 6-10, 3-0 vs 11-20. https://lacrossereference.com/stats/rpi-d1-men/
As 1313 mentioned,
Big Red with 1-1 record against 6-10, although the tOSU win will
probably drop back and make it 2-0 against 11-15, and 2-0
against 16-20.
laf also has RPI at #4 and Quality Wins at #4 - SoS is #12,

Big Red are a virtual lock for At Large,
and probably for a 1-5 seeding,
love it, hate it, it comes down to the numbers.

Am not knocking Cornell intentionally if it came off that way. just wondering. Certainly, whomever finishes #1 in the Ivy League ends up a good seed.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Big Red are a virtual lock for At Large
Too much lax yet to say this. Any of their 5 remaining games is a potential loss; I probably feel best about Harvard, who they handled easily last year and who I think they should beat this Saturday. but after that:
  • Marquette: A dangerous team - just ask Penn State - and a midweek trap game.
  • Army: Look no further than last year's shellacking at the Kopf. 'Nuff Said.
  • Brown: Desperate and dangerous, Brown will quite possibly be fighting to keep their very slim playoff chances alive. This is a Brown team that's back to full strength and that beat Cornell handily last year...again, at the 'Kopf. Meaning this will be a critical road game.
  • Princeton. Probably the Ivy #2; at least this one's at home but, hey, it's Princeton.
If Cornell loses just one of their remaining games, then I think they're a lock. If they lose two, I start to get a bit nervous. If they lose two and lose in the first round of the ILT - does a 4-loss Ivy team make the tourney in a down year for the Ivies? Probably, but I start to see some circumstances that make me very wary. If they lose to Princeton in the season finale and Princeton loses in the championship game: does someone else steal the AQ, does Princeton grab an at-large, and does Cornell get left out?

Cornell is in great shape but has a dangerous finish ahead of them.
Last edited by ICGrad on Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ICGrad wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:03 am
Big Red are a virtual lock for At Large
Too much lax yet to say this. Any of their 5 remaining games is a potential loss; I probably feel best about Harvard, who they handled easily last year and who I think they should beat this Saturday. but after that:
  • Marquette: A dangerous team - just ask Penn State - and a midweek trap game.
  • Army: Look no further than last year's shellacking at the Kopf. 'Nuff Said.
  • Brown: Desperate and dangerous, Brown will quite possibly be fighting to keep their very slim playoff chances alive. This is a Borwn team that's back to full strength and that beat Cornell handily last year...again, at the 'Kopf. Meaning this will be a critical road game.
  • Princeton. Probably the Ivy #2; at least this one's at home but, hey, it's Princeton.
If Cornell loses just one of their remaining games, then I think they're a lock. If they lose two, I start to get a bit nervous. If they lose two and lose in the first round of the ILT - does a 4-loss Ivy team make the tourney in a down year for the Ivies? Probably, but I start to see some circumstances that make me very wary. If they lose to Princeton in the season finale and Princeton loses in the championship game: does someone else steal the AQ, does Princeton grab an at-large, and does Cornell get left out?

Cornell is in great shape but has a dangerous finish ahead of them.
Fair analysis.

I think most of us would agree that odds are excellent right now, but as you lay out, there are a number of scenarios that would change that optimism for Cornell.

As we said about Notre Dame last year, gotta win the games. They won the stretch, but not early. Thus bubble, and bubble can go the wrong way.

Cornell's done the early part, now going into the stretch, but gotta win in the stretch too!

That said, they have all the basic necessary pieces playing well together.
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

"Cornell is a lock for an at-large bid." Over at eLynah we call this "woofing." Do you really want to anger the lacrosse gods??? Analyzing the team's chances based on wins, losses, the likelihood of winning/losing future games is one thing; predicting a guaranteed positive outcome at this point is just scary. Those of us who have been around for a while can come up with too many examples of epic failures to be comfortable assuming certainties this early in the season, even with a team like the one we have this year.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

enterprise wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:48 pm "Cornell is a lock for an at-large bid." Over at eLynah we call this "woofing." Do you really want to anger the lacrosse gods??? Analyzing the team's chances based on wins, losses, the likelihood of winning/losing future games is one thing; predicting a guaranteed positive outcome at this point is just scary. Those of us who have been around for a while can come up with too many examples of epic failures to be comfortable assuming certainties this early in the season, even with a team like the one we have this year.
I will not be completely confident of their chances of securing a bid until 1 of 2 possibilities occurr;
1. They qualify and win the ILT
Or
2. I see their name in the bracket on Selection Sunday.

Look. I'm a Jet fan and we Jet fans always see failure before success.

This is a great(not good), great Cornell Lax team but anything can happen so I will stick to the 2 scenarios above.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
another fan

Post by another fan »

I'm sure my taking shots at IL ratings had nothing to do with it, but Ryan Goldstein, Willem Firth, Luke Gilmartin, and Jaxon Smart are now additional 4 stars in next year's recruiting class. A couple more will probably follow.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

another fan wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:13 pm I'm sure my taking shots at IL ratings had nothing to do with it, but Ryan Goldstein, Willem Firth, Luke Gilmartin, and Jaxon Smart are now additional 4 stars in next year's recruiting class. A couple more will probably follow.
It was only a matter of time before these guys received an appropriate rating.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

laxjuris wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:04 pm
another fan wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:13 pm I'm sure my taking shots at IL ratings had nothing to do with it, but Ryan Goldstein, Willem Firth, Luke Gilmartin, and Jaxon Smart are now additional 4 stars in next year's recruiting class. A couple more will probably follow.
Says more about IL’s rating system than the players. Also says more about the coaches’ acumen.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Ezra White wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:22 pm
laxjuris wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:04 pm
Says more about IL’s rating system than the players. Also says more about the coaches’ acumen.
Wait until Hill Academy plays Lawrenceville and Brunswick,

IL will be biting their pillows,

same goes for when Salisbury plays these schools.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

This may be a bit repetitive, but the Ivies have seven OOC games remaining. I've tried to list below from the most significant challenges to the least based on polls, Massey predictions and general consensus views:

Cornell vs Army: Army defeated the Red in 2022. This year, both teams have only one loss at present.
Princeton vs Syracuse: Ivy versus ACC. Syracuse is 6-5, but has the 9th toughest SOS in the nation. Princeton is 4-4 with the 13th toughest SOS.
Yale vs BU: BU played extremely well defeating Harvard. These teams are ranked 21 and 22 by Massey.
Cornell vs Marquette: Marquette defeated Penn State who beat Cornell... Marquette has a Tuesday "trap" possibility for Cornell.
Brown vs Bryant: Bryant is 7-2 and ranked by Massey just a few places before Brown (now at full strength).
Penn vs Albany: The Danes are 3-5 this year. The game is at Albany.
Yale vs Albany: The Eli's The Danes are 3-5 this year. The game is at Albany.

I assume that the better the Ivies do against the teams above, the better chances will be for teams to make the NCAA Tournament.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

faircornell wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:46 am This may be a bit repetitive, but the Ivies have seven OOC games remaining. I've tried to list below from the most significant challenges to the least based on polls, Massey predictions and general consensus views:

Cornell vs Army: Army defeated the Red in 2022. This year, both teams have only one loss at present.
Princeton vs Syracuse: Ivy versus ACC. Syracuse is 6-5, but has the 9th toughest SOS in the nation. Princeton is 4-4 with the 13th toughest SOS.
Yale vs BU: BU played extremely well defeating Harvard. These teams are ranked 21 and 22 by Massey.
Cornell vs Marquette: Marquette defeated Penn State who beat Cornell... Marquette has a Tuesday "trap" possibility for Cornell.
Brown vs Bryant: Bryant is 7-2 and ranked by Massey just a few places before Brown (now at full strength).
Penn vs Albany: The Danes are 3-5 this year. The game is at Albany.
Yale vs Albany: The Eli's The Danes are 3-5 this year. The game is at Albany.

I assume that the better the Ivies do against the teams above, the better chances will be for teams to make the NCAA Tournament.
Interesting slate of games, and enough quality opponents that a good showing by the Ivies could make a difference at the margins. By no means a given, but an Ivy sweep could help the case for more than one Ivy in the dance. Princeton at home against Cuse looks like a vital last shot at an Ivy win against the vaunted ACC. Neither Yale nor Penn should underestimate Albany in Albany if the Quakers or Bulldogs are to have any hope for an at-large bid; while Yale really needs an April winning streak starting today against Boston U through to the Harvard game in Cambridge.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Interesting that Terry Foy questions Cornell's 2023 consistency and includes the Lehigh game as one reason why. That's the game where Lehigh was held scoreless for the last 47+ minutes and didn't register a shot on goal in the second half.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Gobigred wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:27 pm Interesting that Terry Foy questions Cornell's 2023 consistency and includes the Lehigh game as one reason why. That's the game where Lehigh was held scoreless for the last 47+ minutes and didn't register a shot on goal in the second half.
Yeah, a pretty tedious article. I guess when you have to write one of those every week, it helps to try to have a clever hook to it. Unfortunately for Terry, this week's clever hook wasn't all that clever.

The entire article seems to ignore the fact that good teams improve as the season goes on. Calling Cornell out for mid-February wins when they had two weeks of practice under their belt is silly. February "consistency" is meaningless in May.

But I agree re: Lehigh. Cornell dominated that game, and especially the last 3 quarters of that game.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

ICGrad wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:49 pm
Gobigred wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:27 pm Interesting that Terry Foy questions Cornell's 2023 consistency and includes the Lehigh game as one reason why. That's the game where Lehigh was held scoreless for the last 47+ minutes and didn't register a shot on goal in the second half.
Yeah, a pretty tedious article. I guess when you have to write one of those every week, it helps to try to have a clever hook to it. Unfortunately for Terry, this week's clever hook wasn't all that clever.

The entire article seems to ignore the fact that good teams improve as the season goes on. Calling Cornell out for mid-February wins when they had two weeks of practice under their belt is silly. February "consistency" is meaningless in May.

But I agree re: Lehigh. Cornell dominated that game, and especially the last 3 quarters of that game.
Well, he does rank them at #3. However, I agree with both of you. All teams should improve throughout the season, and Foy does mention that Cornell can still improve, yet he manages to spin that into a negative by nit-picking about a lack of consistency. However, the main thing is that he ranks Cornell at 3 nationally, which seems reasonable. If this team can get / stay healthy, I think it is definitely one of the top teams in the country, with well balanced excellence all over the playing field.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Can't do math. Sorry. Should be 42+ minutes.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:24 am
ICGrad wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:49 pm

Well, he does rank them at #3. However, I agree with both of you. All teams should improve throughout the season, and Foy does mention that Cornell can still improve, yet he manages to spin that into a negative by nit-picking about a lack of consistency. However, the main thing is that he ranks Cornell at 3 nationally, which seems reasonable. If this team can get / stay healthy, I think it is definitely one of the top teams in the country, with well balanced excellence all over the playing field.
The reality of this season is that "upsets" and parity seem to be common themes. For anyone evaluating an Ivy team, consistency is an easy thing to hang one's hat on. Personally I think that this team might beat the odds, and sweep the rest of their regular season. However, it's not unreasonable to think that a team might have an off day.

I recall an IL video done in 2009 where Quint (and I believe Mr Foy) assumed that Cornell was an obvious choice to miss the Final Four. I doubt that any of Cornell's remaining opponents are counting on a lack of consistency from the Big Red.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”