Post by laxreference »

Here is how the DIII MLAX computer rankings ended the weekend

Moving Up: Lynchburg, John Carroll, Denison, Cabrini

In: Stevens, Farmingdale

Moving Down: Dickinson, Kenyon, Washington and Lee, Cortland

Out: Ursinus, Kean

lacrossereference_rankings_20230327_NCAAD3Men.jpg
lacrossereference_rankings_20230327_NCAAD3Men.jpg (115.6 KiB) Viewed 934 times
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
Laxattackjack

Re: LacrosseReference Computer Rankings

Post by Laxattackjack »

Is this a ranking of the uniforms you like best?
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:28 am Is this a ranking of the uniforms you like best?
It's a combination of the predictive team strength ratings (LaxElo) and Strength-of-Record.
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

laxreference wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:31 am
Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:28 am Is this a ranking of the uniforms you like best?
It's a combination of the predictive team strength ratings (LaxElo) and Strength-of-Record.
Only if “strength of record” translates as “just their record.” I’m not going to waste my time looking at each, but seeing their opponents, I can’t imagine Farmingdale (8-1) has played many who have a “strong record.”

MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Ranking has no connection to reality, either by results or the ‘eye test’.
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

Those John Carroll gold helmets are really something. For sure would crack the top 5 for me.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

I’m likely right up there with the worst on here as far as an unhealthy obsession with Division III lacrosse. But even I haven’t felt like what the people are clamoring for is a new bizarre algorithm to rank teams. And by no means am I trying to pick on laxrefernce or his site. Same goes for the fanlax algorithm that has been openly admitted by its creator as to not have significant enough data until damn near conference tournaments.

But if the people want more, may I present to you….
DripSquared- this ranking method takes you deeper into the game. Using thinking machines and super computers we will take goal differentials vs top 2 opponents, minus same vs bottom 2 opponents. Multiplying that by the faceoff percentage. Once we subtract the number of ground balls the opponent got in their worst loss, we multiply that metric by the number of uniforms they have.
For three easy payments of 20$ (followed by a monthly 5$ subscription) you can get all this and more.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:14 am I’m likely right up there with the worst on here as far as an unhealthy obsession with Division III lacrosse. But even I haven’t felt like what the people are clamoring for is a new bizarre algorithm to rank teams. And by no means am I trying to pick on laxrefernce or his site. Same goes for the fanlax algorithm that has been openly admitted by its creator as to not have significant enough data until damn near conference tournaments.

DripSquared- this ranking method takes you deeper into the game. Using thinking machines and super computers we will take goal differentials vs top 2 opponents, minus same vs bottom 2 opponents. Multiplying that by the faceoff percentage. Once we subtract the number of ground balls the opponent got in their worst loss, we multiply that metric by the number of uniforms they have.
For three easy payments of 20$ (followed by a monthly 5$ subscription) you can get all this and more.
Where can I sign up TODAY?
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:14 am I’m likely right up there with the worst on here as far as an unhealthy obsession with Division III lacrosse. But even I haven’t felt like what the people are clamoring for is a new bizarre algorithm to rank teams. And by no means am I trying to pick on laxrefernce or his site. Same goes for the fanlax algorithm that has been openly admitted by its creator as to not have significant enough data until damn near conference tournaments.

drip king might have some say. Maybe we should have a ranking based on uniforms. I have always loved Hopkins colors
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:11 pm
…Maybe we should have a ranking based on uniforms. I have always loved Hopkins colors
In the DripSquared *PremiumMetaverse* (coming Spring 24’) you can rank teams based on whatever you want. Unhappy with how 2022 went down? Simply use our *reset option, right the wrongs and live your truth. Add or remove players. Build your own team. The options are endless.

We can even use ergit’s quote as a disclaimer;
ergit wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:45 am Ranking has no connection to reality, either by results or the ‘eye test’.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

FWIW I love what lacrossereference is doing. I don’t put much stock in that Top 20, but the advanced stats on the site are interesting/useful. Really cool to have a resource like that for D-III lacrosse.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”