Denver Pioneers 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Pio9

Re: Denver Pioneers 2023

Post by Pio9 »

Nice win and much needed. That Duke loss stings even more now. Two OOC wins like that would have looked real good on the resume.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Tough day at Yale. Got behind and could not complete the comeback.

This DU team may be a top 20 team, but it's clearly not a top 10 team.
cherrylax

Post by cherrylax »

Game on Saturday came down to too many turnovers. 19 turnovers in the game, with several being uncaused. Denver actually handled the 10 man ride pretty well and seemed to have game planned for it, but several passes were just thrown away.

Defense looked fantastic, did a great job of shutting down Yale's attack in the first half and Kleban made some good saves. Showed a lot of poise dealing with the ten man ride.

Offense looked stagnant. Second half Noah Manning was benched and I don't blame the coaching staff. Too much of one man dodging while all others stand around waiting for someone to create. Denver used to be a true motion offense where they created opportunities with ball movement. Now they give it to Lampert or Avery and hope they can beat his man. 23 was benched as well, but at this point he has shown what he can do and the staff rolls with it. On another note neither Canadien freshman lefty attackmen was on the bench on Saturday, so it doesn't seem like there are any other options beisdes 23.

The word is out on Stathakis, wins the draw and then teams lock outlets and let him make mistakes. Wings have to do a better job of helping him.

Ohio State should be a fun game. Offense scores more than 10 we win.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Good 17-12 win over OSU before a full house at Barton.

Pios scored 17 times, and I think Avery's huge game with 7 goals was a statement that his game has truly arrived and elevated, coming after a hat trick vs Yale.

Let's see if the high level DU offense can continue at Georgetown...
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Avery’s emergence is definitely a surprise.
eldeststatesman

Post by eldeststatesman »

Do we know which seniors plan on being graduate students and staying at DU next year ?
cherrylax

Post by cherrylax »

eldeststatesman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:44 pm Do we know which seniors plan on being graduate students and staying at DU next year ?
Great question. Heard from some sources that a lot of these seniors aren't sure what the plan is next year since we haven't announced a head coach. Other schools have started to reach out to the group and offer them spots, and at this point I wouldn't blame them for leaving.

Disappointing that the AD has not announced Matt Brown as the next head coach. Is it a school policy? Are they waiting to see how this season goes? Personally I don't think there is anyone in the lacrosse world that would recommend someone other than Matt Brown.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

cherrylax wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:32 am
eldeststatesman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:44 pm Do we know which seniors plan on being graduate students and staying at DU next year ?
Great question. Heard from some sources that a lot of these seniors aren't sure what the plan is next year since we haven't announced a head coach. Other schools have started to reach out to the group and offer them spots, and at this point I wouldn't blame them for leaving.

Disappointing that the AD has not announced Matt Brown as the next head coach. Is it a school policy? Are they waiting to see how this season goes? Personally I don't think there is anyone in the lacrosse world that would recommend someone other than Matt Brown.
are these players in the portal? i believe reaching out and offering them spots otherwise is against nc$$ regs. that would be weird, especially for a non-rev sport.
cherrylax

Post by cherrylax »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:41 am

are these players in the portal? i believe reaching out and offering them spots otherwise is against nc$$ regs. that would be weird, especially for a non-rev sport.
If they're going to be graduate students I believe it's allowed.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

cherrylax wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:24 pm

i've never heard of that exception and can't believe that it would be accurate. and how would other schools possibly know ahead of time whether a student was on course to graduate?

have you heard 1st hand (from a player or that player's parent) that they were contacted and/or a spot was officially offered? i'm not sure how to peek into the portal for lacrosse, but players being in it would seem a more likely explanation.
cherrylax

Post by cherrylax »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:47 pm
cherrylax wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:24 pm

i've never heard of that exception and can't believe that it would be accurate. and how would other schools possibly know ahead of time whether a student was on course to graduate?

have you heard 1st hand (from a player or that player's parent) that they were contacted and/or a spot was officially offered? i'm not sure how to peek into the portal for lacrosse, but players being in it would seem a more likely explanation.
Well if a player had been on the team for four years, gotta think a coach would assume there on track to graduate. The bigger conversation for most of these players are trying to figure out if they have a spot next year or to put there names in the portal.

Players have definitely been approached by other coaches, maybe not legal, but think its the nature of college sports now that player tampering is more widely accepted.
Backinshape

Post by Backinshape »

So if the next coach is not Matt Brown, then who?
Sean Kirwan? Offensive coordinator that has had a lot of success. Sounds a lot like a slightly bigger version of Matt Brown.
Jon Torpey? Former DU assistant that has had a lot of success at a mid major. Also has shown a desire to make a buck in the camp/tournament sector- Denver is a lot more appealing than High Point in that regard.
Brian Voelker? Has NCAA tournament appearances on his resume. He might like a change of scenery.
Dan Chemotti? Would more $ entice him to go out West?
Dave Pietramala? Would DU look to replace a coach with an enormous name in the sport with another big name guy?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Backinshape wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:06 pm So if the next coach is not Matt Brown, then who?
Sean Kirwan? Offensive coordinator that has had a lot of success. Sounds a lot like a slightly bigger version of Matt Brown.
Jon Torpey? Former DU assistant that has had a lot of success at a mid major. Also has shown a desire to make a buck in the camp/tournament sector- Denver is a lot more appealing than High Point in that regard.
Brian Voelker? Has NCAA tournament appearances on his resume. He might like a change of scenery.
Dan Chemotti? Would more $ entice him to go out West?
Dave Pietramala? Would DU look to replace a coach with an enormous name in the sport with another big name guy?
All are very good candidates. Personally, I'd like to see Matt Brown get the HC role. But, if he were not to land that job... I think Torpey would do very, very well at Denver. He already recruits from all over the country, like Denver. And, you hit the nail on the head with the camp/tourney sector. He'd make a killing.

If I had to rank em...
Brown
Torpey
Kirwan
Chemotti
Voelker
Pietramala (aged out of today's game- still valuable asset to any coaching staff but couldnt keep up with the times as a HC... ex/ Hopkins 2016-2020).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Galloway or McMinn?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Matt Brown
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

+1 for Matt Brown. He is Tierney's chosen successor. I have a hard time believing any other qualified candidate would even be throwing their hat in the ring for this job.
molo

Post by molo »

I also assume it will be Brown. Petro aged out? He may be old school, but he’s not old. He’s the same age or very close in age to Gait and Tiffany. Mario Vargas Llosa said 50 is the ideal age for a man in one of his novels. These guys are around 53, prime of life.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

All good picks with coaches mentioned. The one name I think can be taken out is Galloway at Jacksonville. My hunch is that his former program, Cuse, might be his dream job. Therefore, he will stay in Florida for at least a few more years to see what happens with Gait as their coach.
colaxn

Post by colaxn »

The HC job is posted on Indeed, was surprised when it popped up on my feed
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

colaxn wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:17 pm

The HC job is posted on Indeed, was surprised when it popped up on my feed
Colorado probably has something similar to NYS in that any institution or company within the state has to post job openings on a somewhat public forum. That doesn't mean they don't already have their top candidates. Just fulfilling the requirements....

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”