Hobart 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
BigHoss

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by BigHoss »

A big opportunity on the horizon. Cuse is a good team, there’s no doubt. But what a great chance for the guys to test themselves against a talented group. I really like how this season is progressing, someone mentioned the rebuilding season and I really don’t think that’s been the case. Beating Colgate, RMU, and Providence? Pretty good to me. Obviously Lehigh and Dart were tough losses, but from my perspective, the A10 games hold the weight and I really think we’ll be competitive. Someone mentioned Shea, we need him healthy. Everyone can see the value of possession and Shea can literally win games for this team.

I enjoy tracking Hobart’s recruiting and I must say, the future looks BRIGHT. Some really, really good faceoff recruits in the 23/24 classes, not to mention we have a really promising young one on our roster already. Great goalie prospects, some really disruptive defenders, and a few guys who can really dodge and score. There’s a kid, Timmy Evnin, who is a potential star. I think he’s been hurt all year, but his tape is elite and I foresee him and Patterson forming a lethal attack combo in the future. As I look at the future of the A10, this year will be a challenge but I can see Hobart really cementing themselves as a force moving forward. Lots to look forward to.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BigHoss wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:53 pm A big opportunity on the horizon. Cuse is a good team, there’s no doubt. But what a great chance for the guys to test themselves against a talented group. I really like how this season is progressing, someone mentioned the rebuilding season and I really don’t think that’s been the case. Beating Colgate, RMU, and Providence? Pretty good to me. Obviously Lehigh and Dart were tough losses, but from my perspective, the A10 games hold the weight and I really think we’ll be competitive. Someone mentioned Shea, we need him healthy. Everyone can see the value of possession and Shea can literally win games for this team.

I enjoy tracking Hobart’s recruiting and I must say, the future looks BRIGHT. Some really, really good faceoff recruits in the 23/24 classes, not to mention we have a really promising young one on our roster already. Great goalie prospects, some really disruptive defenders, and a few guys who can really dodge and score. There’s a kid, Timmy Evnin, who is a potential star. I think he’s been hurt all year, but his tape is elite and I foresee him and Patterson forming a lethal attack combo in the future. As I look at the future of the A10, this year will be a challenge but I can see Hobart really cementing themselves as a force moving forward. Lots to look forward to.
Our top returning scorers had 46 & 42 career points (Dattellas and Herlihy)-can’t think of a season under Raymond we didnt one or Krog kids w 50 career points coming back.

Agreed on the future, try to avoid talking about it too much. And I still wonder if things had worked out w Connor Durkin, Bland, Colin Rovere and Liam Matthews. There’s a D kid from PalMac who isn’t listed by IL but committee whom I have this sneaking suspicion may be the real deal-Robert Kinslow. https://blaxfive.net/19_players/players ... C%20Robert And the way Raymond talks about Galiani of he gets healthy that could be one too.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For our boys for Saturday I say, waariors come out and playyy

https://youtu.be/aRM2YcGpmxg
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I was worried about a 2 win season. We were good enough to have beaten Lehigh and Dartmouth, and that tells me we have the talent to do well in the A10. Hope SU goes well, but what follows is more important in my book. Wish we had both Madonna brothers.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:55 pm I was worried about a 2 win season. We were good enough to have beaten Lehigh and Dartmouth, and that tells me we have the talent to do well in the A10. Hope SU goes well, but what follows is more important in my book. Wish we had both Madonna brothers.
I said 3-5 before the season. We could still be in that range but if we do better that’s a sign for the future for sure.

Still like the knife fight Syracuse is. I got the lead pipe!

What’s interesting is we compete to a decent degree w Richmond on recruits, I know for a number of kids the last 5-7yrs there’s been meaningful overlap. Would be nice to pull that game out but more realistically I’m looking at the HPU and UMass games. UMass was one we couldn’t get over the hump on but had many close and OT games in the ECAC days.

2005 - 14-12, tied 7-7 at half; they were 10th in the country
Not as close 06-07 which coincides with our worst years that decade and their National finalist teams
2008 - 8-7 OT loss were were up 6-4 after Q3 (sound familiar?) think they scored the game tying goal with like less than 20 seconds left or definitely in last minute
2009 - 7-6 OT loss, refs sucked because their game tying goal was based on felony assault of a kid, think it was Chris Pederson, by one of those classic thugs they had back then, and they scored 3 seconds after the clock ran out to tie it. Max S outplayed Doc Schneider in that game I made the trip up from NYC three times that season as my world was burning down (Bucknell and GTown eviscerations). Jeff Colburn made an incredible steak only a 6’5” player could around midfield of an outlet pass and scored. Was a super intense fun game until it was stolen from us.
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:31 am
Laxgunea wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:55 pm I was worried about a 2 win season. We were good enough to have beaten Lehigh and Dartmouth, and that tells me we have the talent to do well in the A10. Hope SU goes well, but what follows is more important in my book. Wish we had both Madonna brothers.
I said 3-5 before the season. We could still be in that range but if we do better that’s a sign for the future for sure.

What’s interesting is we compete to a decent degree w Richmond on recruits, I know for a number of kids the last 5-7yrs there’s been meaningful overlap. Would be nice to pull that game out but more realistically I’m looking at the HPU and UMass games. UMass was one we couldn’t get over the hump on but had many close and OT games in the ECAC days.

Not as close 06-07 which coincides with our worst years that decade and their National finalist teams
2008 - 8-7 OT loss were were up 6-4 after Q3 (sound familiar?) think they scored the game tying goal with like less than 20 seconds left or definitely in last minute
2009 - 7-6 OT loss, refs sucked because their game tying goal was based on felony assault of a kid, think it was Chris Pederson, by one of those classic thugs they had back then, and they scored 3 seconds after the clock ran out to tie it. Max S outplayed Doc Schneider in that game I made the trip up from NYC three times that season as my world was burning down (Bucknell and GTown eviscerations). Jeff Colburn made an incredible steak only a 6’5” player could around midfield of an outlet pass and scored. Was a super intense fun game until it was stolen from us.
I think all of the A10 games are winnable. To me, St Joes is the favourite to win. They brought back lots of experience and talent. High Point has been trying to find themselves after Nolting. UMass I think is a good team, but very beatable. I’d say the same with Richmond, so overall, a very good chance Hobart has great and competitive games in conference.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BigHoss wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:38 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:31 am

I think all of the A10 games are winnable. To me, St Joes is the favourite to win. They brought back lots of experience and talent. High Point has been trying to find themselves after Nolting. UMass I think is a good team, but very beatable. I’d say the same with Richmond, so overall, a very good chance Hobart has great and competitive games in conference.
I’m all for it but trying to be sober here too. Lot will depend on health.

And not getting frustrated with UMass goalie and trying to be too fine on shots and missing the cage 60% of the time.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

'Cuse is a super offensive team and will probably have a field day against our defense and rookie goalie. On top of that we've got injuries galore. I fear we should get ready for one of those woodshed games. Sorry to rain on the parade, but that's just the way I see it. It's survive and move on to better things.

Also, concerning Syracuse's unwillingness to come to Geneva... Coach Raymond pretty much indicated in a podcast that Syracuse more or less said no to coming back out and that they held all of the leverage in that regard. We won't have any leverage until we can show that we can beat them. Personally, I have nothing against playing in the Dome, but I would like to see an occasional game in Geneva just for the excitement of it all. And btw, Cornell does see fit to come to Geneva and they have owned us much more than Syracuse in the last 20 years.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Egg prices have gone sky high and Hobart doesn't have it in their budget to subsidize. Bus trip is cheaper
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

So the solution is win Krause Simmons and then make them come to Geneva to get it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

stupefied wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:57 pm Egg prices have gone sky high and Hobart doesn't have it in their budget to subsidize. Bus trip is cheaper
A. We did have a big drop in our endowment and don’t have the subsidized facility.
B. All it costs is some nightcrawlers to get some lake trout!
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxgunea wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:15 pm So the solution is win Krause Simmons and then make them come to Geneva to get it.
Not sure Coach Gait puts much value in the K-S trophy. Petro obviously knows Raymond well and probably is for keeping the game going. Even if we did spank his Cornell teams. Ketch, I'm sad to say, I agree with you. Our D has not faired well against teams who move the ball well with timely off ball movement, Throw in a wounded Shea and Datellas along with a FY goalie starting his 2nd game, this could be fugly quickly. Throwing Holtby in for his 1st game is really our best option in goal now. No offense to the 3 other goalies. Not having Herlihy and his motor hurts as well. Our shooting on the run needs to get better. #s 21 & 22 need to get their accuracy back. They both can do that. Expecting a typical, chippy Hobart/Cuse game. Just hope 1) it is competitive and 2) the officials keep an eye out for the Brett Kennedy school of cross checks to the back of the head . Saw a "few" of those against SBU y'day. I would be very happy to be wrong and see a repeat of the 2013 game when we beat the then #5/3 ranked Orangemen.
eldeststatesman

Post by eldeststatesman »

Something to keep an eye on this weekend. I think there needs to be a extra emphasis on our D. Syracuse O is essentially all feeders - if we dont get in hands in "feeder" zones , it will be a long day for anybody. They will pick you apart -

If we can withstand the initial "storm" or 1Q and settle into the game - I do feel good about this group giving them a solid fight. Need to get stops on D , FO will be huge , and if we can shoot above 40% on O - this game could go down to the wire. The talent gap is not as big as what people think in each teams starters - it will be the depth players for hobart that will make or break the game. Example - back up SSDM , 2nd line Middies , LSM's etc.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

eldeststatesman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:34 pm Something to keep an eye on this weekend. I think there needs to be a extra emphasis on our D. Syracuse O is essentially all feeders - if we dont get in hands in "feeder" zones , it will be a long day for anybody. They will pick you apart -

If we can withstand the initial "storm" or 1Q and settle into the game - I do feel good about this group giving them a solid fight. Need to get stops on D , FO will be huge , and if we can shoot above 40% on O - this game could go down to the wire. The talent gap is not as big as what people think in each teams starters - it will be the depth players for hobart that will make or break the game. Example - back up SSDM , 2nd line Middies , LSM's etc.
Shoot above 40%??? Our SOG hasn’t been breaking 50% all that regularly this season.
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:58 pm
eldeststatesman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:34 pm Something to keep an eye on this weekend. I think there needs to be a extra emphasis on our D. Syracuse O is essentially all feeders - if we dont get in hands in "feeder" zones , it will be a long day for anybody. They will pick you apart -

Shoot above 40%??? Our SOG hasn’t been breaking 50% all that regularly this season.
https://lacrossereference.com/stats/adj ... ct-d1-men/
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Damn, that's not good, didn't realize that. When you consider the 50% that are on cage are heading toward Mark, that's not good either. Should still clean the cobwebs out and respect the space on gameday though.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:51 pm

Damn, that's not good, didn't realize that. When you consider the 50% that are on cage are heading toward Mark, that's not good either. Should still clean the cobwebs out and respect the space on gameday though.
You’re really asking for the “your mom” joke.

But yes our shooting has been, shall we say, too fine…often fall into over dodging and not enough ball movement, kids can get free and arms loose but it’s a lot of outside shots.

Shots/SOG % each game (losses in parenthesis)
68/52.9% Canisius
35/71.4% (Lehigh)
37/48.6% Colgate
39/61.5% (Cornell)
45/45.7% RMU
41/56.1% (Dart)
57/45.6% Providence
man:down

Post by man:down »

The difference in last year's SU game was aestheticism in the transition game. Hobart could not run with SU's horses and Cuse got a handful of goals in transition. It was essentially a 1 goal loss for Hobart (the other goal was an empty netter as time ran down). If Cuse wants to cross check high, let's hope Hobart's EMO is as productive in the dome as it was last year -they were at 75% maybe? I forget. I like Hobart trailing and playing from behind. It didn't work against Cornell but it worked last weekend.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

On paper, our chances don't look good...but, SU's D is as equally inept as ours, so we should get our chances. Biggest problem I see is getting the ball past Mark. F/O's and offense "should be" fine, but to Ketch's point, worried that SU gets on a run and our D looks bewildered as they have at many times this season. That having been said, the SU game is a big event and perhaps our guys can play a full 60 minutes and make it competitive..
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”