Typical Lax Dad

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Henpecked wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:53 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:59 pm
Henpecked wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:39 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:33 pm
Henpecked wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:26 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:35 pm The blatant Ivy love is ridiculous. Penn loses to go 2-3 and drops 1 spot in the media poll with a wins over Gtown who just re-entered the top 20 and St Joe's who has dropped out. Even more absurd is Princeton who dropped 3 spots after a third loss in a row, with wins over Manhattan and Monmouth. Let me say that again, they have two wins over Manhattan and Monmouth and are still ranked. If either of these teams played in the CAA, Big East, Patriot or any other league with the exact same schedule and record they would have dropped out last week let alone this week.
What this guy said ^

Have any of these pollsters actually seen Princeton play this year? Let’s just say that they need a lot of work. Offense is brutal.
Princeton’s offensive efficiency is ranked 15. Should be better. Man up isn’t very good and shooting percentage needs to pick up, which should, if players revert to their career averages.
Offensive efficiency is helped by hanging 22 on Monmouth. They looked sick against Maryland and Georgetown. Even Manhattan for a half.
Is that the measurement? Goals scored? Anyway, the offense needs to improve. Brown scored 22 against Vermont. Their efficiency is lower. Princeton isn’t getting enough possessions. GBs down despite being 50% at FO.
I probably don’t have to explain this to you. Princeton has a cumulative offensive efficiency of 29.5%. Their offensive efficiency versus Monmouth was 44%. Against Maryland it was 15.2%. Against Georgetown it was 24.4. So Yes, their offensive efficiency was inarguably helped by scoring 22 goals against Monmouth.
No you don’t have to explain that. I saw it already. Did I say it’s offensive efficiency wasn’t helped? 44% efficiency can be had on less than 22 goals…no? So it’s not just the “22 goals”? When Princeton has the ball, the offense is productive despite poor shooting, it seems. The offense needs to get better. I believe I said that. “Horrible” is a bit strong but we all exaggerate. The team isn’t playing well. That is a fact. The ground ball deficit is particularly problematic. Good luck to Delaware this season. Seems to be playing well. A lot of season left. I remember watching that final four team with a local player on the roster.
“I wish you would!”
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I’ll say it again they are 2-3 with wins over Monmouth and Manhattan, there is no way they deserve to be in the top 25. Media loves the Ivy League it’s just a fact. Can’t see any non Ivy school with exact record and schedule anywhere near the to 20.
Last edited by xxxxxxx on Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:29 pm I’ll say it again they a 2-3 with wins over Monmouth and Manhattan, there is no way they deserve to be in the top 25. Media loves the Ivy League it’s just a fact.
But they have Sam, the have to be.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:47 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:29 pm I’ll say it again they a 2-3 with wins over Monmouth and Manhattan, there is no way they deserve to be in the top 25. Media loves the Ivy League it’s just a fact.
But they have Sam, the have to be.
I was referring to Princeton, but Penn being ranked is almost as absurd.
Typical Lax Dad

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:29 pm I’ll say it again they are 2-3 with wins over Monmouth and Manhattan, there is no way they deserve to be in the top 25. Media loves the Ivy League it’s just a fact. Can’t see any non Ivy school with exact record and schedule anywhere near the to 20.
You are right.
“I wish you would!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Well, as a counterpoint, laf's power ratings (which are based only on game scores this season, all teams equal at the start) have Penn at #13 and Princeton at #23:

https://www.laxnumbers.com/ratings.php?y=2023&v=401
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CU77 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:59 pm Well, as a counterpoint, laf's power ratings (which are based only on game scores this season, all teams equal at the start) have Penn at #13 and Princeton at #23:

https://www.laxnumbers.com/ratings.php?y=2023&v=401
I'm not an expert in this type of analysis, but I think that this more fairly represents Yale so far this year than the polls have indicated. While I don't think that they are the third best team in the country, I'd argue that (at present) they are either the first or second best team in the Ivy League.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:29 pm I’ll say it again they are 2-3 with wins over Monmouth and Manhattan, there is no way they deserve to be in the top 25. Media loves the Ivy League it’s just a fact. Can’t see any non Ivy school with exact record and schedule anywhere near the to 20.
Agree, Princeton should not be ranked. And, struggled vs Manhattan. 2-3 …. 3 straight losses.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Two years ago, Ivy administrators were using the pandemic as an excuse to move toward ending all Ivy intercollegiate athletics. And no good recruits would want to go to a school in a conference that cancelled spring sports! So it must have stung last spring when the Ivies did so well. Thank goodness that's not happening again this year, but the polls need to scrub away that lingering Ivy stench, NOW.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

My assumptions: Yale/Cornell above the rest. The rest: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saturday can clear up 1 & 2 (Yale is the home team), the rest will still be a mess. If I understand the Brown suspensions correctly, this week's game is the only Ivy League match the multiple-instance offenders will miss, so this week's result will have a further asterisk.
Remember 2022's "April Brown" black swan team? Is that 2023 Dartmouth's slot?
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:25 am Two years ago, Ivy administrators were using the pandemic as an excuse to move toward ending all Ivy intercollegiate athletics. And no good recruits would want to go to a school in a conference that cancelled spring sports! So it must have stung last spring when the Ivies did so well. Thank goodness that's not happening again this year, but the polls need to scrub away that lingering Ivy stench, NOW.
Good players went elsewhere because the schools are anti sports…..that is why the league isn’t any good anymore.
“I wish you would!”
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:08 am
FannOLax wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:25 am Two years ago, Ivy administrators were using the pandemic as an excuse to move toward ending all Ivy intercollegiate athletics. And no good recruits would want to go to a school in a conference that cancelled spring sports! So it must have stung last spring when the Ivies did so well. Thank goodness that's not happening again this year, but the polls need to scrub away that lingering Ivy stench, NOW.
Good players went elsewhere because the schools are anti sports…..that is why the league isn’t any good anymore.
I believe that when a student-athlete (notice student comes first) is assessing their collegiate options, the Ivy League will always attract good and great players who realize after their 4 springs playing D1 lacrosse that their new, post-collegiate life chapters and careers will begin. No worries from Ivy coaches about not enough good players because of "elsewhere". Please note: I am not suggesting there aren't exceedingly excellent non-Ivy schools and educations available throughout this great land. There are, of course, myriad such leafy enclaves.

Many good players will seek and desire the Ivy league schools. Enough to go around for the Ancient Seven rosters. Columbia makes Ancient Eight, but is sitting this one out due to...well...not exactly sure. Their D1 backgammon team?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

looks more like they're not closing games. and offenses aren't lighting up the lamp in the shot clock era.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Is the Fanlax time stamp still on Standard Time? (This is a test.)

Answer: Yup.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:47 am
I believe that when a student-athlete (notice student comes first) is assessing their collegiate options, the Ivy League will always attract good and great players who realize after their 4 springs playing D1 lacrosse that their new, post-collegiate life chapters and careers will begin. No worries from Ivy coaches about not enough good players because of "elsewhere". Please note: I am not suggesting there aren't exceedingly excellent non-Ivy schools and educations available throughout this great land. There are, of course, myriad such leafy enclaves.

Many good players will seek and desire the Ivy league schools. Enough to go around for the Ancient Seven rosters. Columbia makes Ancient Eight, but is sitting this one out due to...well...not exactly sure. Their D1 backgammon team?
FWIW... I saw a social media post for an Ivy Men's lacrosse CLUB championship with only seven teams. Cornell was the only school that isn't fielding a club team.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:57 am
looks more like they're not closing games. and offenses aren't lighting up the lamp in the shot clock era.
I remember many people saying they wouldn't send their kid to an Ivy League school because the 2021 season was cancelled and Covid protocols were ridiculous. We are now seeing the results of Dads steering their kids elsewhere. League isn't any good.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:26 am
I remember many people saying they wouldn't send their kid to an Ivy League school because the 2021 season was cancelled and Covid protocols were ridiculous. We are now seeing the results of Dads steering their kids elsewhere. League isn't any good.
you may have been looking in more places than me. i remember on fanlax several people saying that, and 95+% of the discussion being about the situation, the prospects for the future and if there may be an impact or not.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:31 am
you may have been looking in more places than me. i remember on fanlax several people saying that, and 95+% of the discussion being about the situation, the prospects for the future and if there may be an impact or not.
We all exaggerate.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:35 am
We all exaggerate.
what's the fun otherwise?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:37 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:35 am
We all exaggerate.
what's the fun otherwise?
Indeed.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”