Syracuse 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Syracuse 2023

Post by DMac »

A slow day little story loosely lacrosse related, void of significance or purpose.
A week or so ago there was an article posted on one of the lacrosse discussion pages about Rodney Dumpson, his winning goal v Hop in the '89 NC game, how he fit in with the Gaits (he was the third man in that midfield line) and the role he played in SU lacrosse. Was a pretty good article, I like it and posted a comment...needless to say a brilliant one of course. Someone liked my comment and gave it a thumbs up. When I looked at the name of that person I recognized it, it was the same name as a person I had worked with some twenty-five or so years ago but hadn't seen or heard from since then. I thought, not a chance this is the same guy but when I checked him out, sure as hell it was. I sent him a DM (think that's what you call it) and gave him enough information to know it wasn't some sort of scam. Turns out, not surprisingly, he and his girl were heading up from South Jersey to go to the NC-Cuse game in the Dome. Perfect, we'll hook up there which of course we did. Fun time, lot of laughs, was good to see him
This fella was a smooth operator, we caroused around a bit together for awhile, a lacrosse nut too....Yorktown boy, from Harlem.
Talking lacrosse one day at work and he knew the team was in the Dome practicing and said he knew a guy who could get us in to watch practice...this just doesn't happen but remember the smooth operator part. Needless to say I said, well hell let's go watch it. Not so sure how we were able to get out of work and go watch it but there's a high probability we just said phukk it and left. When we get there, in we go and we sit in the bleachers watching the boys practice. Was a thing of beauty, like a military drill team, they didn't need much coaching, they were all about it and going hard. Meanwhile, Boeheim and his hoops boys were practicing down at the other end. For those not familiar with the Dome, the bball court isn't in the middle of it. From the bench side it's down to the left a bit and there's a curtain drawn which leaves 30-40 yards of field on the right side. That's where the lax boys were practicing. Where we were sitting we could see both teams and it was a rather eye-opening experience, contrasting focus and intensity. Boeheim stood, arms folded, watching his boys putting in a half aszed effort led by Coleman with shorts worn so low he could only run at three quarters speed at best. The whole team fell into this mode while JB watched it all. Like a car wreck, I couldn't help myself from looking that way now and then to see if there was any change going on. Nope, the whole practice went that way. This is the year Cuse met the Richmond Spiders, a team Cuse was supposed to wipe the floor with, in the first round of the NCAA tourney. Need I say how that one turned out for JB and his Cuse hoopsters? The whole city was in a state of shock after that one, all saying, how the hell could that possibly have happened. I told many, I know how, they played just like they practiced (I'm not a Cuse hoops or JB fan so I was elated with the outcome, might be my all time favorite Cuse hoops game).
I've told my buddy that story a hundred times, maybe more. We go to all the lax games together and on this day I had the one guy who could confirm my story and he told it exactly the same way. So there's my story of nothingness on a slow day.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

DMac wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:58 am A slow day little story loosely lacrosse related, void of significance or purpose.
A week or so ago there was an article posted on one of the lacrosse discussion pages about Rodney Dumpson, his winning goal v Hop in the '89 NC game, how he fit in with the Gaits (he was the third man in that midfield line) and the role he played in SU lacrosse. Was a pretty good article, I like it and posted a comment...needless to say a brilliant one of course. Someone liked my comment and gave it a thumbs up. When I looked at the name of that person I recognized it, it was the same name as a person I had worked with some twenty-five or so years ago but hadn't seen or heard from since then. I thought, not a chance this is the same guy but when I checked him out, sure as hell it was. I sent him a DM (think that's what you call it) and gave him enough information to know it wasn't some sort of scam. Turns out, not surprisingly, he and his girl were heading up from South Jersey to go to the NC-Cuse game in the Dome. Perfect, we'll hook up there which of course we did. Fun time, lot of laughs, was good to see him
This fella was a smooth operator, we caroused around a bit together for awhile, a lacrosse nut too....Yorktown boy, from Harlem.
Talking lacrosse one day at work and he knew the team was in the Dome practicing and said he knew a guy who could get us in to watch practice...this just doesn't happen but remember the smooth operator part. Needless to say I said, well hell let's go watch it. Not so sure how we were able to get out of work and go watch it but there's a high probability we just said phukk it and left. When we get there, in we go and we sit in the bleachers watching the boys practice. Was a thing of beauty, like a military drill team, they didn't need much coaching, they were all about it and going hard. Meanwhile, Boeheim and his hoops boys were practicing down at the other end. For those not familiar with the Dome, the bball court isn't in the middle of it. From the bench side it's down to the left a bit and there's a curtain drawn which leaves 30-40 yards of field on the right side. That's where the lax boys were practicing. Where we were sitting we could see both teams and it was a rather eye-opening experience, contrasting focus and intensity. Boeheim stood, arms folded, watching his boys putting in a half aszed effort led by Coleman with shorts worn so low he could only run at three quarters speed at best. The whole team fell into this mode while JB watched it all. Like a car wreck, I couldn't help myself from looking that way now and then to see if there was any change going on. Nope, the whole practice went that way. This is the year Cuse met the Richmond Spiders, a team Cuse was supposed to wipe the floor with, in the first round of the NCAA tourney. Need I say how that one turned out for JB and his Cuse hoopsters? The whole city was in a state of shock after that one, all saying, how the hell could that possibly have happened. I told many, I know how, they played just like they practiced (I'm not a Cuse hoops or JB fan so I was elated with the outcome, might be my all time favorite Cuse hoops game).
I've told my buddy that story a hundred times, maybe more. We go to all the lax games together and on this day I had the one guy who could confirm my story and he told it exactly the same way. So there's my story of nothingness on a slow day.
How long until they finally tell Boeheim, look it's retire or get fired? They lost a great assistant to Washington and I doubt Gmac waits much longer? I understand his meaning to SU but sheesh, he hung on at least 10 years too long?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:03 am
DMac wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:58 am A slow day little story loosely lacrosse related, void of significance or purpose.
How long until they finally tell Boeheim, look it's retire or get fired? They lost a great assistant to Washington and I doubt Gmac waits much longer? I understand his meaning to SU but sheesh, he hung on at least 10 years too long?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Have you planned your great grandchildren’s weddings yet because that’s how long.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
45wewantmore

Post by 45wewantmore »

Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:45 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:38 pm Didn't see the game of course cuz I don't have B1G minus. Listened to some early, Md was hammering Cuse right out of the gate, winning the face offs and going to the cage, went up 3-0 (pretty sure) early. Ultimately am not completely disappointed with a 15-12 final. Decent rebound by the young team all things considered, particularly inasmuch as Md went 24 of 31 on face offs. Geezuz H!!! A good experience for the team.
33 SOG for Md, 21 for Cuse.
Mark with 18 saves...wow.
Cuse is for real and when all these great recruits mesh and play with each other for a full season, they will get even better. Scary team going forward.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
They def need a better fogo . Duke hitting 12 pipes must be a record
CU77

Post by CU77 »

27 saves for Mark, but it wasn't enough.
molo

Post by molo »

Why isn’t Kirst on EMO?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Basically was the Maryland game CTRL-V'd again. Thought their offense was better in this game than in that one, but they were fortunate to be as close as they were against Maryland and fortunate to get to OT in this one. Hopkins game probably a swing game for which direction their season goes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Will Mark was amazing in the game. Orange came close to pulling off the upset.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
lorin

Post by lorin »

Madlax59 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:59 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:38 pm Didn't see the game of course cuz I don't have B1G minus. Listened to some early, Md was hammering Cuse right out of the gate, winning the face offs and going to the cage, went up 3-0 (pretty sure) early. Ultimately am not completely disappointed with a 15-12 final. Decent rebound by the young team all things considered, particularly inasmuch as Md went 24 of 31 on face offs. Geezuz H!!! A good experience for the team.
Cuse is for real and when all these great recruits mesh and play with each other for a full season, they will get even better. Scary team going forward.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Why are they scary going forward, please tell
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

lorin wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:33 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Incredible young talent who just lost to my #4 team in the country in overtime. As they play together more and more, they will only get better. They certainly scared the heck out of Duke today.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Mark is terrific. Just as with Maryland, this would have been a blowout loss if not for him. What;'s frustrating is Cuse offense can score . This team allergic to ground balls. wing play woeful. Onto JHU, like that matchup.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:38 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Incredible young talent who just lost to my #4 team in the country in overtime. As they play together more and more, they will only get better. They certainly scared the heck out of Duke today.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
yeah because Duke hit a million pipes....Duke prob should have won by 10
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Madlax59 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:09 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:38 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Gobigred
Joewillie78
yeah because Duke hit a million pipes....Duke prob should have won by 10
27 saves 12 pipes. Will Mark for President.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

stupefied wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:07 pm Mark is terrific. Just as with Maryland, this would have been a blowout loss if not for him. What;'s frustrating is Cuse offense can score . This team allergic to ground balls. wing play woeful. Onto JHU, like that matchup.
Aside from FOs and GBs, which we already knew was an issue, not sure what happened in 3rd quarter when Duke (to their credit) made their run. In that period it looked as though SU couldn't pass-n-catch. There must have been at least three or four uncaused turnovers and the strip of Thompson was inexcusable. Great stick handler but show some athleticism and run to daylight dude (not to pick on the kid but that obvious lapse kind of summed up that horrendous quarter).

Can they score? Any sense of a planned offense and shot selection was dismal in OT.

Does SU have a ride? If so, not seeing it.

What is up with Hiltz? He has certainly under achieved so far this season.

Needless-to-say, great game by Mark, and Kirst, nice game too.

Team can certainly still turn things around, but they lose to Hopkins, forget any post-season play.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

tech37 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:44 am
stupefied wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:07 pm Mark is terrific. Just as with Maryland, this would have been a blowout loss if not for him. What;'s frustrating is Cuse offense can score . This team allergic to ground balls. wing play woeful. Onto JHU, like that matchup.
Aside from FOs and GBs, which we already knew was an issue, not sure what happened in 3rd quarter when Duke (to their credit) made their run. In that period it looked as though SU couldn't pass-n-catch. There must have been at least three or four uncaused turnovers and the strip of Thompson was inexcusable. Great stick handler but show some athleticism and run to daylight dude (not to pick on the kid but that obvious lapse kind of summed up that horrendous quarter).

Can they score? Any sense of a planned offense and shot selection was dismal in OT.

Team can certainly still turn things around, but they lose to Hopkins, forget any post-season play.
Since the Vermont game's Hiltz's numbers have been pretty consistent. I watched a some of his summer box Jr A games on youtube over the summer. Hiltz isn't involved with every play for his box team. Sometimes the ball goes through him, but not more than others on his team. Contrast that with Finn Thomson, where nearly every possession goes through him. I didn't see a lot of Hiltz's games at Culver, but it seemed like he was a bigger part of their offense.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Must be nice to be Cuse 3 and 3 lucky to beat Vermont now 2 and 3, and still have a chance for Tournament ? and before u answer the usual ACC answer UNC lost to Ohio state who got destroyed by Virginia, and UNC lost to Denver to lost to AF. Maryland lost to Loyola who lost to Rutgers and just got by Towson who is 1 and 4. So save the ACC IS A POWER HOUSE BS for someone else .If they didn't chicken out of playing Army they most likely be 2 and 4. and I would take Plunket over Spallina any day of the week.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

lorin wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:53 am Must be nice to be Cuse 3 and 3 lucky to beat Vermont now 2 and 3, and still have a chance for Tournament ? and before u answer the usual ACC answer UNC lost to Ohio state who got destroyed by Virginia, and UNC lost to Denver to lost to AF. Maryland lost to Loyola who lost to Rutgers and just got by Towson who is 1 and 4. So save the ACC IS A POWER HOUSE BS for someone else .If they didn't chicken out of playing Army they most likely be 2 and 4. and I would take Plunket over Spallina any day of the week.
Agree. Plunkett is LEGIT. His lil brother is going to Army next year. Also, very very good.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

lorin wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:53 am

Must be nice to be Cuse 3 and 3 lucky to beat Vermont now 2 and 3, and still have a chance for Tournament ? and before u answer the usual ACC answer UNC lost to Ohio state who got destroyed by Virginia, and UNC lost to Denver to lost to AF. Maryland lost to Loyola who lost to Rutgers and just got by Towson who is 1 and 4. So save the ACC IS A POWER HOUSE BS for someone else .If they didn't chicken out of playing Army they most likely be 2 and 4. and I would take Plunket over Spallina any day of the week.
who are you advocating for? army?? they lost to umass, who is 1 and 2 outside of that game. beat umass-lowell and got torched in their other 2 games.
they were lucky to beat rutgers.
their other wins are... wagner, mercer, and holy cross?? their next game is lafayette.

shouldn't there be an army thread?
lorin

Post by lorin »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:08 am
lorin wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:53 am

who are you advocating for? army?? they lost to umass, who is 1 and 2 outside of that game. beat umass-lowell and got torched in their other 2 games.
they were lucky to beat rutgers.
their other wins are... wagner, mercer, and holy cross?? their next game is lafayette.

shouldn't there be an army thread?
We don't have one we do our talking on the field you should know that,

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”