Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MoralTerpitude

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by MoralTerpitude »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:14 pm This was the first game he drew a pole I think which I was surprised opponents hadn't been doing and he's not ready for a top notch pole yet. He tried going at them a few times early and you could tell it was his first time dodging on a college pole.
Ah yeah, true.

Btw interesting that Princeton switches goalies at half in all of their games. They mentioned it in the pregame… definitely didn’t work out for them this time. Their first-half guy was standing on his head.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Yeah, I was curious if they’d stick with that. I don’t think Gianforcaro was bad or anything but on a cold day when Rakower was playing so well…think I’d have just stuck with him.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:57 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:47 pm Box score had em at 22, 21 not counting goalie. That's a little better. 3 D, 2 LSM, 6 SSDM, 1 FOGO, 6 O Mid, 3 Attack.
Yeah. It’ll be interesting to see if Mullane and Schaller can break into the rotation.
It's pretty tough to see how Schaller really does break into the rotation. The three close D all are playing well, Geppert is a stud, and his backup McDonald looks really good at LSM. As good as he is, not sure who he'd displace there?
On a side note, really hope Spanos can get into a groove. He seemed alot less aggressive in this game than in the previous three.
Agreed. He did handle the ball a good amount, but really didn't attack as much as we've seen. Likely because he had that pole on him, but I'm assuming he's played against Maryland's poles at times.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

RUPPEL is the man!!!!!
terp talk

Post by terp talk »

Some facts about the game today

What were the Tigers thinking?

hit to the helmet of Ajax
absurd shoulder shiver to Ruppel
Illegal stick
6 penalties for Princeton
--total of 5 minutes of unreleasable

Terps 11 Princeton 5

In the Tigers last 32 games only twice have they held below 10. Guess by who.
#1 had 6 GB and 4 Caused Turnovers
#36 had 3 caused turnovers
Geppert was stellar
Colin Burface is blossoming at Close
Dante is improving his D with each minute he places
Luke continues to spoil every Terp fan--He is incredible
Kelly will score 5 or 6 goals soon
At the Babe Ruth Museum event honoring Tils and Cathy Reese, Mark Dixon was raving and raving about Ruppel
Koras is becoming a force
Maltz is making his older brother very proud

On to the Irish
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Tillman after game

MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

PulpExposure wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:17 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:47 pm Box score had em at 22, 21 not counting goalie. That's a little better. 3 D, 2 LSM, 6 SSDM, 1 FOGO, 6 O Mid, 3 Attack.
Yeah. It’ll be interesting to see if Mullane and Schaller can break into the rotation.
It's pretty tough to see how Schaller really does break into the rotation. The three close D all are playing well, Geppert is a stud, and his backup McDonald looks really good at LSM. As good as he is, not sure who he'd displace there?
I don’t think it’s a question of displacing anyone (obviously not Geppert, Zap, Makar, or even McDonald), but rather having a guy who can put in some minutes as the third close defender. The team will (hopefully) be playing games on short rest in the B1G and NCAA tournaments, and unless the plan is to redshirt Schaller, getting him some experience against some of these top-10 teams could be useful down the road. Tills has focused on building depth in the midfield (both offensive and SSDM), and has done a great job of that.

BTW that stat about only the Terps holding Princeton under 10 goals in 32 games - crazy. And they held them to 10 at CP last year.
Finster

Post by Finster »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:31 am
I don’t think it’s a question of displacing anyone (obviously not Geppert, Zap, Makar, or even McDonald), but rather having a guy who can put in some minutes as the third close defender. The team will (hopefully) be playing games on short rest in the B1G and NCAA tournaments, and unless the plan is to redshirt Schaller, getting him some experience against some of these top-10 teams could be useful down the road. Tills has focused on building depth in the midfield (both offensive and SSDM), and has done a great job of that.

BTW that stat about only the Terps holding Princeton under 10 goals in 32 games - crazy. And they held them to 10 at CP last year.

Besides ND, only Maryland has a defense that can hold UVA this year. ND’s offense, however, is better than Maryland’s, at least at this stage.
PALax11

Post by PALax11 »

Did Geppert really get an assist on man-up? Thought that was Long from X.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: ↑

That 2020 Princeton team was the last Michael Sowers team,
no one was going to hold that team to single digits -
they averaged 18 goals a game.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:36 am
MoralTerpitude wrote: ↑

That 2020 Princeton team was the last Michael Sowers team,
no one was going to hold that team to single digits -
they averaged 18 goals a game.
That was indeed an offensive juggernaut (though only through 5 games, it did include ones vs Virginia, Hopkins and Rutgers). Damn shame the season got cut off. Sowers averaged 9.4 points over those five games :shock:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

terp talk wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:53 pm Some facts about the game today

What were the Tigers thinking?

hit to the helmet of Ajax
absurd shoulder shiver to Ruppel
Illegal stick
6 penalties for Princeton
--total of 5 minutes of unreleasable

Terps 11 Princeton 5

In the Tigers last 32 games only twice have they held below 10. Guess by who.
#1 had 6 GB and 4 Caused Turnovers
#36 had 3 caused turnovers
Geppert was stellar
Colin Burface is blossoming at Close
Dante is improving his D with each minute he places
Luke continues to spoil every Terp fan--He is incredible
Kelly will score 5 or 6 goals soon
At the Babe Ruth Museum event honoring Tils and Cathy Reese, Mark Dixon was raving and raving about Ruppel
Koras is becoming a force
Maltz is making his older brother very proud

On to the Irish
7:30 penalty advantage. Maryland was in control throughout the game, regardless. Maybe a 2-3 goal win without all the penalties. Wish the game were cleaner but it was a defensive game.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:31 am

Not just that, this was their fewest goals scored since before Michael Sowers played his first game for Princeton.

And yeah, I'd like to see Schaller at least maybe bump down to play 3rd LSM, if the staff trusts him. They ran 3 LSM's last year at times with Sherrer and it was a boon. We saw what happened against Princeton when they had to have Geppert take a short stick. That was my point about number of contributors, the more you have the better. It's always focused on the offensive end a lot (second midfield) but I really think it matters heavily at shortie, LSM, positions that are in the middle of the field logging tons of minutes both ways. But we're a month in. Lot of guys got run at shortie yesterday which was nice.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Schaller played the last few minutes of the Cuse game. He went for Geppert
Last edited by AreaLax on Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

After watching the replay of yesterday's game three things stood out.
1. Really like how Maltz has developed his offensive game this year. Not just a close range finisher anymore.
2. Ruppel needs to be the guy in goal. Made the saves you need to make and a few more that bailed out the defense when he got beat.
3. Makar has taken his game to a new level. Seems to be everywhere on the defensive end. What a beast.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:11 pm Not just that, this was their fewest goals scored since before Michael Sowers played his first game for Princeton.

And yeah, I'd like to see Schaller at least maybe bump down to play 3rd LSM, if the staff trusts him. They ran 3 LSM's last year at times with Sherrer and it was a boon. We saw what happened against Princeton when they had to have Geppert take a short stick. That was my point about number of contributors, the more you have the better. It's always focused on the offensive end a lot (second midfield) but I really think it matters heavily at shortie, LSM, positions that are in the middle of the field logging tons of minutes both ways. But we're a month in. Lot of guys got run at shortie yesterday which was nice.
Believe TerpTalk said it was the least goals Princeton has scored since 2016.

One nice thing is the flexibility to move Redd back to close defense if there are any injuries or game fatigue. He may not be at the level of Makar and Zap, but he played some decent minutes there last year in garbage time, and is obviously getting decent run at SSDM, so he’ll be sharp.

Burlace seems to be locking that 3rd close defense spot down. Played really tight and physical the last couple of weeks. This defense is going to be pretty sick by the time B1G play rolls around.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Burlace was tremendous. There were times he was matched up on Slusher just because Princeton throws a lot of motion at you and he couldn't dislodge him. He looked incredibly settled and played an awesome game. Grown leaps and bounds last couple weeks.

My impression of the defense has shot up a lot, back probably to preseason where I thought it'd be the best in the country. The shorties are coming into form as a top unit and the poles are so stout as well if Burlace is playing as he has since the Loyola game.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Great sequence of defense by the Terps

https://twitter.com/dan_aburn_/status/1 ... 0WcL9ttu9A
Lawdawg100

Post by Lawdawg100 »

About time Dan Maltz learned how to dodge, it has taken him 4 years to finally do that. Wierman needs to pick it up, has not been good at all this year, I wouldn’t put him in my top 5 fogo so far this year.

Zappitello > Makar

Murphy should also be wearing the #1

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”