Hobart 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by oldbartman »

$5 says Colgate cancels Saturdays game rather than play it in the dome at Hobart. Game-time temps for Hamilton is 24. There's not even a Colgate thread for 2023. Yes I know they are "mentioned" in PL thread. Peter Baum and Eric Von Hoffman must be wondering if it was all a dream.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:39 am $5 says Colgate cancels Saturdays game rather than play it in the dome at Hobart. Game-time temps for Hamilton is 24. There's not even a Colgate thread for 2023. Yes I know they are "mentioned" in PL thread. Peter Baum and Eric Von Hoffman must be wondering if it was all a dream.
If they cancel again we hve to drop them off the schedule. They’d Nat be trusted as a counterparty YOY. Their word means nothing at that point.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
henryben

Post by henryben »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:39 am $5 says Colgate cancels Saturdays game rather than play it in the dome at Hobart. Game-time temps for Hamilton is 24. There's not even a Colgate thread for 2023. Yes I know they are "mentioned" in PL thread. Peter Baum and Eric Von Hoffman must be wondering if it was all a dream.
Colgate fan here.

Why would they cancel at 25 degrees? Unless there's heavy snow seems like no different than playing in 35 degrees (neither is very appealing!)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

henryben wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:43 am
Colgate fan here.

Why would they cancel at 25 degrees? Unless there's heavy snow seems like no different than playing in 35 degrees (neither is very appealing!)
Last year I guess. Wasn’t my original comment but I do think if they did two straight years it would be hard for Bart to justify keeping them as an opponent. Flipping venues sucks but we’ve done it for Cornell and Cuse many times over the years so that’s not in isolation an excuse for a long term opponent regionally proximate.

If it happens which I’m not of the opinion it will but if it does…
colbulmad

Post by colbulmad »

Colgate moved the women's lax game from Saturday to Sunday. Not sure if it has to do with Niagara getting to Hamilton or the weather?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Sunday would be an improvement. Last year's game was supposed to be at Gate, but the weather was atrocious. Hobart offered to have it in the dome , the Raiders passed. Playing lacrosse in 25 degree weather is not a good idea. The turf is slippery, players get injured at a much higher rate and it is miserable for the dedicated fans.
man:down

Post by man:down »

RIT is hosting Bates in the Hobart bubble on Saturday rather than play on their field.
henryben

Post by henryben »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:34 pm Sunday would be an improvement. Last year's game was supposed to be at Gate, but the weather was atrocious. Hobart offered to have it in the dome , the Raiders passed. Playing lacrosse in 25 degree weather is not a good idea. The turf is slippery, players get injured at a much higher rate and it is miserable for the dedicated fans.
I'm curious, how different is it in a dome for the players in terms of seeing the ball, etc.? Is it a big adjustment?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

henryben wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:20 pm
oldbartman wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:34 pm Sunday would be an improvement. Last year's game was supposed to be at Gate, but the weather was atrocious. Hobart offered to have it in the dome , the Raiders passed. Playing lacrosse in 25 degree weather is not a good idea. The turf is slippery, players get injured at a much higher rate and it is miserable for the dedicated fans.
I'm curious, how different is it in a dome for the players in terms of seeing the ball, etc.? Is it a big adjustment?
It’s different for sure but we play 1-2 games in it each of the last few years so it’s not a big deal. Haven’t been there but the way friends describe the PSU bubble it’s a big deal compared with the Delta here between our bubble and The Boz
henryben

Post by henryben »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:49 pm
henryben wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:20 pm
It’s different for sure but we play 1-2 games in it each of the last few years so it’s not a big deal. Haven’t been there but the way friends describe the PSU bubble it’s a big deal compared with the Delta here between our bubble and The Boz
I was in it last summer during the camp they had for the Hobart/Colgate/Cornell/Binghamton recruits; it's nice but I couldn't imagine being a goalie trying to track a hard outside shot.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I agree ... white ball on white ceiling. I've never understood why they don't use an orange ball. Colgate should come here if the Bubble is open and if the weather is too terrible to play outside, but if I were Colgate, I'd insist on the orange ball. But I was never a goalie ... would a goalie be thrown by an orange ball? Seems like that would affect both teams equally.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Laxgunea wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:09 pm I agree ... white ball on white ceiling. I've never understood why they don't use an orange ball. Colgate should come here if the Bubble is open and if the weather is too terrible to play outside, but if I were Colgate, I'd insist on the orange ball. But I was never a goalie ... would a goalie be thrown by an orange ball? Seems like that would affect both teams equally.
The bottom of the bubble is blue background and the lighting is perfect. I’ve seen goalies struggle more on the Boz.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:09 pm I agree ... white ball on white ceiling. I've never understood why they don't use an orange ball. Colgate should come here if the Bubble is open and if the weather is too terrible to play outside, but if I were Colgate, I'd insist on the orange ball. But I was never a goalie ... would a goalie be thrown by an orange ball? Seems like that would affect both teams equally.
At least the ceiling holds up on the bubble now…
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Ketch wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:12 pm
The bottom of the bubble is blue background and the lighting is perfect. I’ve seen goalies struggle more on the Boz.
Yeah, especially when there are snow drifts behind the goals! I wonder if orange on blue would be tougher in some way?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

The goalies I know like orange and the brilliant green balls in bad weather and indoors. Hope Gate does come to our Dome. Though wanting to play on your home field is understandable in less crummy conditions.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

I’m in CNY and it’s 25 out right now (7am) and snowing. The anticipated temperature tomorrow is 30 and there’s a 57% chance of snow. These are not lacrosse conditions, especially when you’ve go an indoor facility available. I can only believe that the Colgate coaching staff believes their best chance to win is to play outside. The conditions will hurt Hobart’s style of play much more than Colgate’s. Hard to play that uptempo style in bitter cold.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Scheduling outdoor lax games in February is cray-cray. Better off not playing vs playing in those temps. Colgate could be a midweek game down the line..
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FMUBart wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:19 am Scheduling outdoor lax games in February is cray-cray. Better off not playing vs playing in those temps. Colgate could be a midweek game down the line..
I keep pulling up websites thinking I'll see that the venue for the game has been changed. Guess that's not going to happen. I am a pretty tough fan, but there's no way I'm going to travel over to Hamilton tomorrow. For anyone who's been outside in CNY today, it's brutal. Not just the cold and snow. We've got quite a bit of wind going to. And the weather in Hamilton is always worse that it is here. SUNY Cortland has its opener schedule for tomorrow. I'm waiting to see it be cancelled/postponed.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Ketch wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:29 pm
FMUBart wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:19 am Scheduling outdoor lax games in February is cray-cray. Better off not playing vs playing in those temps. Colgate could be a midweek game down the line..
I keep pulling up websites thinking I'll see that the venue for the game has been changed. Guess that's not going to happen. I am a pretty tough fan, but there's no way I'm going to travel over to Hamilton tomorrow. For anyone who's been outside in CNY today, it's brutal. Not just the cold and snow. We've got quite a bit of wind going to. And the weather in Hamilton is always worse that it is here. SUNY Cortland has its opener schedule for tomorrow. I'm waiting to see it be cancelled/postponed.
Intelligent heads have prevailed. Cortland has postponed its game until 3/22. I've got to believe that there could be an acceptable alternative date for Hobart-Colgate as well.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Unfortunately the lacrosse season ends right when spring weather really gets nice.
I've always wanted lacrosse to turn into a fall sport. Best weather of the year.
But too much competition for fields and kids with football and soccer probably kill that discussion.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”