Towson 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
sc lax

Re: Towson 2023

Post by sc lax »

Huge tilt tomorrow against an old CAA foe. No secret to this one, but faceoffs are going to play a huge role. Cole has been a beast for SJU and this is a huge matchup for Constantindes. Don't think we can expect anything close to a 20 goal performance again, but last week was an encouraging start for the offense and hopefully they can build off of it. Defensively, the D-middies will have to play a great game and limit any opportunities from SJU's middies. The close D is obviously a strength for Towson, with it being the most experienced. Looking forward to a great game, looks to be one of the more underrated matchups of the weekend.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

sc lax wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:49 am Huge tilt tomorrow against an old CAA foe. No secret to this one, but faceoffs are going to play a huge role. Cole has been a beast for SJU and this is a huge matchup for Constantindes. Don't think we can expect anything close to a 20 goal performance again, but last week was an encouraging start for the offense and hopefully they can build off of it. Defensively, the D-middies will have to play a great game and limit any opportunities from SJU's middies. The close D is obviously a strength for Towson, with it being the most experienced. Looking forward to a great game, looks to be one of the more underrated matchups of the weekend.
Big test for both teams
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Cole will be difficult,

but I’m not sure St Joe’s is really aware how much offensive
talent they’ll be up against, its top 10-15 teams level talent - I’m not sure St Joe’s defense its up for that,

so you may be looking at a wash — a lot of Cole face off wins, a lot of possessions, but also not being able to clamp down on Towson’s offense,

maybe a re-do of last year’s Towson - Richmond game.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Face-offs were an expected problem, but goaltending? Defense? First-team midfield? Turnovers? Some of the same old issues over the last few years are creeping up again in a 16-13 game with 4:00 left.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:34 pm Cole will be difficult,

but I’m not sure St Joe’s is really aware how much offensive
talent they’ll be up against, its top 10-15 teams level talent - I’m not sure St Joe’s defense its up for that,

so you may be looking at a wash — a lot of Cole face off wins, a lot of possessions, but also not being able to clamp down on Towson’s offense,

maybe a re-do of last year’s Towson - Richmond game.
Towson much more skilled on offense in 2023. SJU switched goalies and locked down in 2nd half when FOs were close to even
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

St Joe .will have a v good year. 10 grad & 15 seniors. Along w Z Cole, that’s a lot of lacrosse played. Towson has experience but not the quantity that SJ has in 23’. They face LaSalla at Va in a couple weeks, but they won’t face a fogo as dominant as Cole the rest of the year. Constantinedes did well considering. Towson goalie Long didn’t stop them high, hopefully he can clean that up
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Math1234 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:50 pm Face-offs were an expected problem, but goaltending? Defense? First-team midfield? Turnovers? Some of the same old issues over the last few years are creeping up again in a 16-13 game with 4:00 left.
Looks like they are still figuring out who their D-middies will be this year - SJU attacked them and took advantage of their opportunities. It was an up and down game, but two many turnovers and rushing when they were getting 10-manned was a killer. Two unlucky goals (Stewart stick snapping and McNemar almost saving the long shot on 10 man) were a huge difference as well. Looked like from the steam that #1 was dressed for Towson though, so that's a good sign. Offensively this team looks better, they just need to clean up the turnovers and also back up missed shots. Zone defense had some success as well. Another big game next Friday against Richmond, I'm sure they will be out for revenge after losing the last 2 years to them.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

#1, huh.
That is good news, and also hopefully he’ll be close to
100% when he steps on the field.
They’re going to shoot on Evan Long high all year now,
unfortunately, that’ll be the book on him.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:26 am #1, huh.
Agree 100%, that is going to be the scout. Having a bigger goalie (given he can save the ball) is a huge advantage in the shot clock era. It would've been awesome to see Tyler White play with these rules.

Will be interested to see how they split up the middie lines. Would think that you want Berkeley and Weisshaar on the same line, but splitting them up could also provide 2 strong lines. Gonna need the attack to be more decisive and start drawing slides, as it is going to be tough to the rely on the midfield so much. Although, DeMaio looks great this year and his shooting has been on point so far.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

sc lax wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:47 am
10stone5 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:26 am #1, huh.
Agree 100%, that is going to be the scout. Having a bigger goalie (given he can save the ball) is a huge advantage in the shot clock era. It would've been awesome to see Tyler White play with these rules.

Will be interested to see how they split up the middie lines. Would think that you want Berkeley and Weisshaar on the same line, but splitting them up could also provide 2 strong lines. Gonna need the attack to be more decisive and start drawing slides, as it is going to be tough to the rely on the midfield so much. Although, DeMaio looks great this year and his shooting has been on point so far.
We’ve had a few good lacrosse players from Lowville (NY) and this kid was a goalie whom I always wish tried out for lacrosse. Wouldn’t be a lot of daylight between him and the goal.

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/footbal ... aker/16887
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

Math1234 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:36 pm Weisshaar is out 2-3 weeks I believe.
Which one are you talking about? Younger or older? I thought younger had knee surgery?
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

AbeFroeman wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:48 pm
Math1234 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:36 pm Weisshaar is out 2-3 weeks I believe.
Which one are you talking about? Younger or older? I thought younger had knee surgery?
Younger, looked like he was dressed on the sideline on the stream. Not sure if anyone here that attended the game can confirm 100%
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

They didn’t redshirt #1 - so that says a lot.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Yes, Mikey Weisshaar dressed in the last game. His brother Sam is a bench guy to be nice. Mikey is one of the most decorated freshmen we've ever had and would to see him team with Villagomez on an invert, assuming he's playing midfield. I think they'll bring him along slowly, but I hope he plays as soon as he's 100%. I know he didn't come here to redshirt. It's not like we are loaded with stars aside from Berkeley at midfield. And he's being hounded every time he touches the ball.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I like Nick DeMaio also,

hopefully he gets in 20 shots again against Richmond !

Then with Weisshaar back, you’d have Weisshaar, Berkeley,
DeMaio, Villagomez all on the field -
that’s a pretty good line up. This week, its that quick turnaround
Richmond then Loyola.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:41 am I like Nick DeMaio also,

hopefully he gets in 20 shots again against Richmond !

Then with Weisshaar back, you’d have Weisshaar, Berkeley,
DeMaio, Villagomez all on the field -
that’s a pretty good line up. This week, its that quick turnaround
Richmond then Loyola.
I assume that's sarcasm about DeMaio. Some of his shots are so poor they are like turnovers and Towson needs production, not bad shots. He doesn't need to set the shot record again if there is more talent surrounding him. Wish we still had Avanzato. Wonder what happened with Andrew Milani, who scored 22 goals as a freshman. They moved him to midfield and he disappeared last season with 8 goals. The roster has him as an attackman, but I get it that Villagomez is too good to sit.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Yes, DeMaio never saw a shot he didn’t like 8-)

still that game tying goal against Richmond last year was
something else.

I’d definitely like to see Milani get much more involved.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

This team does not value the ball, way too many turnovers
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Too bad,

they just shut down after that 1st quarter.
Face-guarding Nick DeMaio just seemed to throw off the
offense.
Just not a good game, and they’re going up against
Loyola in a week, sheesh !
Last edited by 10stone5 on Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I don't remember seeing him play, but Mikey Weisshaar showed up in the boxscore with 1 shot and 1 turnover. They could really use some athletes out there against Loyola. Aside from Austin Stewart and Swain, the Tigers looked slow and lumbering on offense today.
Last edited by Henpecked on Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”