Hobart 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SMAIN wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:45 pm If Hobart still had the strong Fraternity system with the beer parties every Saturday night, "The transfers will come". Hey, when Hobart was on top that's what existed.
It was mostly run off by Dick Hersh after the reinstatement of Maddux for the playoff run that one year.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Dynamic first half. .... size is off the table ...skills questions answered .... depth questions answered. Unanswered is whether we have 4 quarters in us ... a mental issue. Fingers crossed.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hard to not notice the refs here…
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:58 pm Dynamic first half. .... size is off the table ...skills questions answered .... depth questions answered. Unanswered is whether we have 4 quarters in us ... a mental issue. Fingers crossed.
As I mentioned in previous posts, this team is better than last year’s. The idea of “size” is not important in the modern game. Does it help to be 6’4? Yes, but a collective style with a heavy transition element can help a team overcome size. That’s exactly what this coaching staff has implemented
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BigHoss wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:20 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:58 pm Dynamic first half. .... size is off the table ...skills questions answered .... depth questions answered. Unanswered is whether we have 4 quarters in us ... a mental issue. Fingers crossed.
As I mentioned in previous posts, this team is better than last year’s. The idea of “size” is not important in the modern game. Does it help to be 6’4? Yes, but a collective style with a heavy transition element can help a team overcome size. That’s exactly what this coaching staff has implemented
Wimer still adjusting to college ball but he is a beast.

Would like to see Bach more aggressive on O.

This is being done without Dattellas playing too.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I believe and fully agree. But I want to see 4 quarters. That's the missing ingredient over the last few seasons. Depth will help, as will healthy players.
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

What happened to Datellas?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Just banged up. Was a game time decision. They want him for the whole season, so it might be better to work him in slowly.
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:29 pm
I believe and fully agree. But I want to see 4 quarters. That's the missing ingredient over the last few seasons. Depth will help, as will healthy players.
Absolutely. I think your analysis is very spot on. That’s been a difficult hurdle for Hobart lacrosse. Instantly brings me back to the NEC championship in 2019.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Terrible D, too much ball watching and why did the crease defenseman just slide to the fogo
and leave Mule wide open on the crease? Fogo didn’t even have an angle to shoot! #41 having a tough day on and off ball, goalie has been solid.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BigHoss wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:47 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:29 pm
Absolutely. I think your analysis is very spot on. That’s been a difficult hurdle for Hobart lacrosse. Instantly brings me back to the NEC championship in 2019.
We dropped massive leads to RoMo twice also last reg season game in 2019. Think we blew a late lead to St Joes that year too

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... core/26277

Then again go look at our game vs OSU in 2004
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

After being up 10-4 we let them go on a 13-2 run.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Not sure how you fix this ... Lehigh has pulled it together and we have broken down. I still think it's mental. They seem to get loose and sloppy. The unnecessary slide on Sisselberger that FMUBart pointed out is a good example, as are all of the losses of possession. Whereas we had success from all over, I now see all of our shots from outside. We've lost our 50/50 ball advantage. Our shape on D is completely distorted. It's a collapse, a complete collapse. I have to hand it to Sotiropoulis. He's still making saves.
There is time to pull it out, but it will require a huge mental effort and lots of discipline.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

7 violations called on Shea?
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:10 pm 7 violations called on Shea?
That’s gotta be on the Zebras…fogos figure out how to adapt to whistle, 7 violations is poor officiating, imho
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:18 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:10 pm 7 violations called on Shea?
That’s gotta be on the Zebras…fogos figure out how to adapt to whistle, 7 violations is poor officiating, imho
Most of the violations didn’t even get to an actual faceoff called during the set.

But the D did let down.

They got 36 shots on goal.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Sad, just sad. Complete breakdown by the defense. By late Q2 we couldn't even pass the ball. To screw up a 2 man advantage on man-up..??? What the heck is going on? This falls completely on the defense. Though by mid Q3 our offense looked lost as well. Lehigh isn't that great. We made them look like a top 10 team. I completely disagree on the goalie situation. Please stop this "expirement" in goal. Sotiropoulos ' constant flopping put him out of position for at least 4 goals. Put Holtby back in before the season is completely lost. Up 10-6 in Q2 and Bart pulled it's usual letting up and then letting it get out of hand. You would think the pplayers would know by now that you can't take your foot off of your opponents throat. Until they learn how to that, and play basic lacrosse, Canisius may be the highlioght of the season. PATHETIC!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

This was a bummer but I think we will be ok. I didn’t think some of those guys were going to contribute like they have already like Greene and Delano. Having Dattellas would’ve taken pressure off some later in the game but need a lot more out of Bach and Herlihy on offense and presumably Peterkin will get better. Wimer will improve at SSDM and is a heck of an athlete. We didn’t run many middies out there though I didn’t see Greenberg Delaney or others at all so I hope it’s not the same old tighten up the rotations stuff.

Simas and Christiansen, grad student 5th years, were our best players out there.
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:38 pm Sad, just sad. Complete breakdown by the defense. By late Q2 we couldn't even pass the ball. To screw up a 2 man advantage on man-up..??? What the heck is going on? This falls completely on the defense. Though by mid Q3 our offense looked lost as well. Lehigh isn't that great. We made them look like a top 10 team. I completely disagree on the goalie situation. Please stop this "expirement" in goal. Sotiropoulos ' constant flopping put him out of position for at least 4 goals. Put Holtby back in before the season is completely lost. Up 10-6 in Q2 and Bart pulled it's usual letting up and then letting it get out of hand. You would think the pplayers would know by now that you can't take your foot off of your opponents throat. Until they learn how to that, and play basic lacrosse, Canisius may be the highlioght of the season. PATHETIC!
I agree. Interestingly enough, Hobart had an immature goalie in and things fell apart. Need an experienced presence in the goal when the opponent goes on a run. Something to acknowledge is that the goalie is the general of the defense, if their communication isn’t strong then the defense will look confused. We can discuss violations and bad calls all we want, the team wasn’t composed. It’s that simple. You need to have a calm mind in adverse situations to win. This team is still good potentially, but the game is 75 percent mental and if you can’t stay mentally tough for 60 minutes, you won’t win.
cooperstef

Post by cooperstef »

What a joke. Zero physicality. Kids look like they don’t care. Getting backed down into oblivion defensively. Need to take Canisius off the schedule. One bright spot was Simas today. Starts and ends there. Hopefully it was a bad 45 mins and they bounce back. All that matters is conference games anyways.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”