2023 Virginia Public GLax

HS Girls Lacrosse
Robolobo

Re: 2023 Virginia Public GLax

Post by Robolobo »

Captain BBY wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:00 pm Top Offensive player is at Oakton, with other top players at Woodson, South County, Centreville, Westfield and Robinson. Yorktown has potential but hearing their top players may be out. Battlefield as well.

Top Goalies are at Chantilly (transfer from the privates) and Kettle Run.
Robinson has a pair of studs returning that should keep them near the top of the Patriot District. As for others in Class 6, I think you would look at the other 11 returning girls from the all-state teams last year, one of which is the Oakton player. As for goalies in Class 6, I would think you would also have to include the 2 returning from the all-state teams last year in any discussion.
VA-GLaxFan

Post by VA-GLaxFan »

Captain BBY wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:00 pm Top Offensive player is at Oakton, with other top players at Woodson, South County, Centreville, Westfield and Robinson. Yorktown has potential but hearing their top players may be out. Battlefield as well.

Top Goalies are at Chantilly (transfer from the privates) and Kettle Run.
I honestly don’t think the Chantilly goalie will find much success in her new home. Not because she isn’t any good, but because she will not get a ton of help with a rough schedule. Kettle Run plays one good team that will play, but she is a beast

Middie out of Oakton is Player of the year with a couple of juniors close behind. Centreville and Woodson middies are both legit

Even though Yorktown put 18 up in Battlefield’s goalie last year, I watched that game and she still had fifteen saves. West Springfield goalie is still top notch, but both girls lost a lot of defense in front of them
Wg_olyr

Post by Wg_olyr »

The best VA public goalies play in 20165 (P Falls and DOM). The Riverside goalie is not that far behind.
Captain BBY

Post by Captain BBY »

Wg_olyr wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:46 am The best VA public goalies play in 20165 (P Falls and DOM). The Riverside goalie is not that far behind.
While the Dominion goalie is a good player, the goalies below are all better:

Chantilly Goalie
Kettle Run Goalie
West Springfield Goalie
Battlefield Goalie
StackO

Post by StackO »

Valentine Shootout
Who are your 2 division winners and Champ

Pool 1
W Springfield
W Potomac
Yorktown
Riverside
Atlee
Independence

Pool 2
Bullis
O’Connell
St. John’s
Battlefield
Dominion
Meridian
VA-GLaxFan

Post by VA-GLaxFan »

StackO wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:13 pm Valentine Shootout

Pool 1
W Springfield
W Potomac
Yorktown
Riverside
Atlee
Independence

Pool 2
Bullis
O’Connell
St. John’s
Battlefield
Dominion
Meridian
I got Riverside vs SJC in the finals with SJC winning it
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

VA-GLaxFan wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:20 pm

Pool 1
W Springfield
W Potomac
Yorktown
Riverside
Atlee
Independence

Pool 2
Bullis
O’Connell
St. John’s
Battlefield
Dominion
Meridian
Agree on SJC. Not a chance with Riverside. Hearing too many players out this weekend.

Order of Finish

Pool 1
Indy
Yorktown
Atlee
WS
RS
WP

Pool 2
SJC
Dominion
Battlefield
Bullis
Meridian
O’Connell
VA-GLaxFan

Post by VA-GLaxFan »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:59 pm
VA-GLaxFan wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:20 pm

Pool 1
W Springfield
W Potomac
Yorktown
Riverside
Atlee
Independence

Pool 2
Bullis
O’Connell
St. John’s
Battlefield
Dominion
Meridian
Agree on SJC. Not a chance with Riverside. Hearing too many players out this weekend.

Order of Finish

Pool 1
Indy
Yorktown
Atlee
WS
RS
WP

Pool 2
SJC
Dominion
Battlefield
Bullis
Meridian
O’Connell
E
I could see three or four teams in Pool 2 that could win Pool 1
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Haven't seen the Valentines Shootout results posted yet, but congrats to St Johns College who handled Yorktown in the "elite" finals. Dominion looked good, but lost to SJC in pool play. Battlefield had wins over Meridian, Bullis and Riverside, but lost by 3 to both SJC and Dominion. Yorktown edged out WestPo in the other half of the elite bracket. There were some good games between those two, Riverside, Independence and West Springfield (all played generally close games against each other). Atlee was more step behind the pack, but someone said they drove up the 2+ hours that morning, so I would give them a pass.

In the "open" bracket, South Lakes won the final over the West Springfield underclass team. Lake Braddock looked good, but lost a "goals against" tie-break between Yorktown underclassmen and West Springfield underclassmen that had the Spartans advance. In the JV division, the Yorktown 8th graders beat the West Springfield JV team in the finals.

Overall a great day of lacrosse to get outside in the early spring and get ready for the season.
StackO

Post by StackO »

I would give the edge to Pool 2. All 3 teams swept pool 1 in finals.

STJ 14 Yorktown 0

Dominion 10 W Po 6

Battlefield 13 Riverside 6

Great day and great tournament. It was really a well run tournament.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

StackO wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:52 pm I would give the edge to Pool 2. All 3 teams swept pool 1 in finals.

STJ 14 Yorktown 0

Dominion 10 W Po 6

I wouldn’t read too much into these results. Yorktown didn’t have two top players and Riverside played almost all underclassmen. These short field formats favor teams with strong goalie play and to a degree negate the advantage of teams with great draw takers and great speed. Two things you need in the regular season.
Captain BBY

Post by Captain BBY »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:52 pm
StackO wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:52 pm I would give the edge to Pool 2. All 3 teams swept pool 1 in finals.

STJ 14 Yorktown 0

Dominion 10 W Po 6

I wouldn’t read too much into these results. Yorktown didn’t have two top players and Riverside played almost all underclassmen. These short field formats favor teams with strong goalie play and to a degree negate the advantage of teams with great draw takers and great speed. Two things you need in the regular season.
Yorktown will be without 2 of their best players this spring and a 3rd is returning from an ACL injury.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Wielding the Axe...

Post by UnderArmourOdor »

Ragnor's Viking Skeggøx has fallen on the lacrosse teams of the Northern Region making the cuts so we have the final team rosters now...no stinking family trips...no SAT Prepatory (probably should have used Prelusive to help the Vocab portion) classes...no swim meets...finally just the teams!
Let's Go!
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Let's go have ourselves a season! Scrimmages start next week for some! :D
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Patriot Dist Scrimmage Sked

Post by UnderArmourOdor »

Here are the returning Occoquon Region 1st Teamers in the Patriot:
Attack JR Anna Checkosky Robinson
Middie JR Reese Cuviello Woodson
Defense SR Brett Mahan South County
Goalie SR Annalise Thaler West Springfield

Fairfax – Jimmy Conklin - year 2 with the Rebels went 6-8!
03/03/23 07:30 PM Scrimmage Mt. Vernon Mt. Vernon High School
03/09/23 07:30 PM Scrimmage TJHSofS&T Fairfax High School

Lake Braddock – Vic Chen - returns & looks to change the Badluck with 5 Freshmen on Varsity & only 3 Seniors...funny that the last coach to get them to a non-losing record was fired after one year for calling up a frosh (who wisely transfered to PVI!)
03/06/23 07:30 PM Scrimmage Mt. Vernon Lake Braddock High School
03/09/23 07:30 PM Scrimmage Justice Justice High School

Robinson – Tim Prosser - District Champs again! Robo loses 11 SRs but they just reload on Roberts Road!
03/09/23 07:15 PM Scrimmage Flint Hill Robinson High School
03/11/23 01:05 PM Scrimmage Collegiate Collegiate

South County - Olivia Harpel - no record posted for last year but I did see a 12-14 loss to Fairfax!
03/02/23 07:30 PM Scrimmage South Lakes Home
03/08/23 07:30 PM Scrimmage Yorktown Yorktown

TC Williams - Greg Derogatis - loses 10 SRs tougher to reload then at Robo!
No Schedule Posted …

West Po – Jon Reed - takes over the Wolves...Parent led not just figuratively but literally as I think a daughter is on the team!
03/02/23 07:30 PM Scrimmage Woodbridge West Potomac High School
03/08/23 07:30 PM Scrimmage Annandale Annandale High School

West Springfield – Brian Puhlick - the Dean of the District Coaches the Spartans have a 8-1-2 record on the website only losing to Yorktown...wait!?!?!
03/02/23 04:15 PM Scrimmage Episcopal Episcopal High School
03/04/23 12:00 PM Scrimmage TBA Richmond VA

Woodson - Mike Schneider - not a bad first season with another Occoquan Region Crown!
03/02/23 07:15 PM Scrimmage Riverside W.T. Woodson High School
03/11/23 01:00 PM Playday Bishop Ireton Bishop Ireton High School
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:17 pm

West Springfield – Brian Puhlick - the Dean of the District Coaches the Spartans have a 8-1-2 record on the website only losing to Yorktown...wait!?!?!
03/02/23 04:15 PM Scrimmage Episcopal Episcopal High School
03/04/23 12:00 PM Scrimmage TBA Richmond VA
The 8-1-2 was the JV record last year I believe. Varsity was 13-5.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:17 pm
Lake Braddock – Vic Chen - returns & looks to change the Badluck with 5 Freshmen on Varsity & only 3 Seniors...funny that the last coach to get them to a non-losing record was fired after one year for calling up a frosh (who wisely transfered to PVI!)
03/06/23 07:30 PM Scrimmage Mt. Vernon Lake Braddock High School
03/09/23 07:30 PM Scrimmage Justice Justice High School
he of the Clairol Nice'n Easy???

https://www.clairol.com/en-US/products? ... tag=blonde
BuckyLou

It's here!

Post by BuckyLou »

With rosters set and the VHSL scrimmage window about to open, the ol’ Buckster figured now was as good a time as any to debut my top 15 for Class 6 heading into the ’23 season and a comment or two on each. I think Dominion is still the Titan of Class 4, but there are some sleeping giants that are slowly closing the gap. In Class 5, we are likely living in Douglas Freeman’s world for another year as they look to keep the trophy down I-95 (gas is cheaper this year, so it costs them less…), but Class 6 is where the action is, as I think things could be as open as they have been in years.

Without further ado, my top 15 VHSL Class 6 teams for the preseason are:

1) Yorktown – I was torn on the defending champs debuting at the top spot, as I know they lost some key cogs, and not just to graduation. But the folks up in north Arlington reminded me that they were young across the board last year, and those girls are only going to get better. Oh yeah, their JV was pretty good too, and all those 8th graders are now varsity eligible. Add that Coach Tran is one of the best and I’m convinced enough to give them the benefit of the doubt.

2) Oakton – It’s now or never for the Cougars. The only team with 2 returning Class 6 all-staters in Yee-Jenkins and Basuel, this team is loaded to make a run. They should get over the Madison hump this year. Can they go all the way?

3) Woodson – The more things change, the more they stay the same. Cavs fans are saying Bill who? As Coach Schneider defended the Region title in his first year. Can he add a state banner in his second season? He’s got the returning talent led by one of the best middies in Cuviello to compete for it.

4) Robinson – Here to say “Not so fast, my friend…” to Woodson, as the Rams have the last 2 District titles in the Patriot and have their own returning all-stater in Checkosky. They did lose a lot to graduation and it will depend on how they reload to see if they can claim the elusive regional crown for Coach Prosser.

5) Battlefield – Maybe the most-debated team in the off-season on the interwebs. The state runners-up lost some key players to graduation including State POY Curtis, but they are expected to be right back there in June again and have some key cogs back. The question is whether their tougher schedule will have them better prepared. While few thought they were the true #2 team in the state at the end of last year, I think they have a shot to be the top dog at the end of this season in this wide open year.

6) Centreville – The Wildcats were derailed by some injuries early on last year, but almost knocked off Yorktown in the postseason and won at Battlefield late in the regular season. Return the all-state defender LaRuffa and would’ve likely had a 2nd with middie Wakefield if she was healthy all year; they could challenge for the top spot in a tough district and region this year.

7) Langley – How good have the Saxons been in the last decade? Ranking them #7 seems like a down year. Don’t forget that the Saxons defeated Yorktown twice last year, just not at the most important time. If they did, we would likely be viewing them a lot differently.

8) Madison – Coach Counts lost a lot to graduation from a team that was as good as anyone last year (2 of the 3 losses were to St Stephens and Belfield on the private side), so will have to go younger this year, but if anyone can have them ready to compete, she should.

9) Westfield – Quietly put together a top ten season with the computer numbers last year and are scheduled to return some of their top players, so 2023 may be the year that the dogs are let out once again.

10) Washington & Liberty – The Generals were toe-to-toe with Yorktown two years ago only to see their Arlington neighbors pull away last year. This year they want to remind the Patriots that objects in the rear-view mirror are closer than they appear.

11) West Potomac – Another new coach at WestPo this year as the Wolverines go the parent route after an off-season spent searching, but the new regime has a lot of talent coming back to work with.

12) West Springfield – Coach Puhlick also lost a lot to graduation, including the 2-time Patriot District POY, but he returns one of the best in all-stater GK Thaler and that will ensure the Spartans have a shot any time they take the field. The question will be if he can find the scoring to replace what he lost.

13) Freedom South Riding – The Eagles have had some growing pains in the rise up to Class 6, but they return their own all-stater with middie Koeneke as they look to grab the other ticket to the state tournament in Region B.

14) Justice – The Sheriffs of Buford T. Justice will look to return law and order to a wide open National District this year.

15) Lake Braddock – The Bruins are the latest team to try the Coach Chen sweepstakes. Even though his tenures have been short recently, his clubs have posted winning records. That means something’s gotta give as he tries his hand at Lake Badluck.

Also considered: Falls Church, South County, John Champe, South Lakes.
StackO

Post by StackO »

Always a great early season post from Buckylou. Great knowledge and a reputable top 15.
ExLax

Post by ExLax »

Great read BuckyLou! All appreciate the time, effort, and 'laxuition' involved in putting together this listing. Good luck to all teams and look forward to watching the many story lines that are apparent for GLAX 2023.

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”