THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by 10stone5 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:31 pm
molo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:07 pm Don't forget the guy who preceded Haus although I think virtually every Hopkins fan would like to.
According to my secret source, the team that wins the JHU-PSU game will be coached by a former Cornell coach with an Italian surname.
I’ll take close playoff losses compared to embarrassing no-show asswhipping playoff blowouts.
What’s old Tony up to these days? Wonder if he’d like his paid vehicle back and extended for a few more years?
Those were great days at old Franklin Field when Tony was there. A good group of Penn Alum - they’d get us into the games, press box, never short of beverages.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If we're going back to THAT well, you might as well check on Old Bill to see if he'd want to return to Homewood for a grand finale, putting a coda on his career. He's proven pretty much all he set out to at Denver and I'm guessing another Trevor Baptiste isn't walking through that door.

Anyway—there's a game this weekend. It'd be real swell, just dandy if the Jays could somehow pull out a win. The only way to have any chance against this Penn State team is to match them goal for goal. That means winning a few faceoffs, not turning the ball over, and playing efficient offense. Would be a great time for DeSimone to call the FBI and let them know they can take him off the missing persons list. I assume PSU will sell out to contain Epstein as he's pretty much our only real threat right now. According to Ernie his 23 points is the most in a four game stretch since Ryan Brown. That means Cole, Kyle...your time is now. I don't even know what the plan is on defense. "Don't let them score every time" would be a start. Goes without saying that while you cannot blame all defensive woes on the goaltender, we won't have a chance unless he has an above-average game on Sunday.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Sabia for PSU is really good. Against Maryland, PSU showed a really aggressive, quick to slide game plan that they hadn't really shown too much. PSU's SSDMs were very physical and more athletic than I thought they'd be. Pushed out really high and wide. Physically pushed Maryland midfielders way out. Kneese is a very active goalie. He flops on low shots. He's quick to throw outlet passes off of saves, and PSU's fast break is deadly. Don't take any penalties. PSU's EMO is clicking at like 60+%.

Personally, I think the way to beat PSU is to do what teams do to Loyola...shut off Lindley and let Spencer score goals. In this case, shut off O'keefe who can shoot it if he can catch the ball. Let Ament score 5 goals if it means he doesn't get 7 assists. Against Maryland, they did something they also hadn't done much of. Previously, they'd run their 2-man, pick and roll behind the goal or at GLE. Against the Terps, they did it from the wings higher up. It took away the slides and let PSU's midfielders get to the middle of the field. Ament only had 2 assists on the day, but PSU still won.

PSU is the best team I've seen all year...on TV or in person. They're way more athletic in the midfield than I thought they'd be.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

We’ll be okay if we can outscore them.
Reality Check
Reality Check
67CD3CF6-D5ED-4563-9BB1-120A8C4FCC57.jpeg (50.04 KiB) Viewed 3257 times
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

This game is Prouty v Arceri. Hopkins cannot afford to have their defense on the field for long stretches. If Prouty goes 45/55 I think Jays make a game of it.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

One thing about Petro over the last 10 years has been the complete inability to beat or stay competitive against a team where he is a big dawg (real any dawg) so tomorrow wont be any different. If this was Bill Tierney, I'd suspect they hit 20, but since Tambroni and Petro are boys, JT will call off the dogs when when he hits 16-17 at the 3rd quarter.

The final score will be omething like 18 -13.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

What’s the latest odds?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

molo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:07 pm Don't forget the guy who preceded Haus although I think virtually every Hopkins fan would like to.
According to my secret source, the team that wins the JHU-PSU game will be coached by a former Cornell coach with an Italian surname.
I think the odds are that molo will collect from anybody who bets against him.
Otherwise, 18% or almost 7.5 goals. So, as usual, steel hop at five goals is our resident optimist.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Maryland v tOSU....do we care who wins?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Big Dog wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:23 pm Maryland v tOSU....do we care who wins?
You want tOSU, so that they get out of the three-way 2-3 tiebreaker.

That would leave 4th place to a tie between Rutgers and JHU, and JHU would make the B1G tourney based on H2H.

That is, if you want to prolong this mess beyond seven more days.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

all tOSU had to do was run out the clock with 50 seconds to go, but the ball carrier takes it to the crease instead. Save, quick transition, and tied score....

Not making the B1G tourney will be embarrassing.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:49 pm
Big Dog wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:23 pm Maryland v tOSU....do we care who wins?
You want tOSU, so that they get out of the three-way 2-3 tiebreaker.

That would leave 4th place to a tie between Rutgers and JHU, and JHU would make the B1G tourney based on H2H.

That is, if you want to prolong this mess beyond seven more days.
And... so much for that. Three way tie at 2-3 still in play.

If you didn’t see how the tiebreakers work out, the three way tie would be broken by scoring differential, making Rutgers #3.

Then the tiebreaking procedure completely resets to a two way tie comparison between tOSU and JHU, and H2H makes tOSU #4 while JHU takes up golf.

That OT win by UMd was huge. Evaporated a possible JHU path.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OSU chokes like we did. That's a bad result for us in terms of the tiebreaker. Needed an OSU win.

Silver lining is this will make our win over Maryland next weekend look better. :mrgreen:
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Perhaps Michigan will rise up and take down their arch enemy next week. (yeah, I believe in Easter Bunny, too.)
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:17 pm OSU chokes like we did. That's a bad result for us in terms of the tiebreaker. Needed an OSU win.

Silver lining is this will make our win over Maryland next weekend look better. :mrgreen:
Yeah, and you’d rather win your way into the B1G tourney instead of backing in to it.

I actually had zero confidence that JHU would win last week, and I still felt that way at halftime. That’s why I posted it’s a 60+ minute game and needed 30 more good minutes.

Poof.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:35 pm Perhaps Michigan will rise up and take down their arch enemy next week. (yeah, I believe in Easter Bunny, too.)
I’m down with the DocB kool aid :D
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

exD-B Koolaid
exD-B Koolaid
B46D4608-5993-4743-B270-F72C89C351F9.png (171.8 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I actually had zero confidence that JHU would win last week, and I still felt that way at halftime. That’s why I posted it’s a 60+ minute game and needed 30 more good minutes.

Poof.
So YOU are responsible for the bad JuJu. :twisted:
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:17 pm Silver lining is this will make our win over Maryland next weekend look better. :mrgreen:
Hopkins #2 seed incoming! Hype train leaving the station.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I wish Hopkins would schedule Richmond.

That’s not far, plus the Flying Squirrels are down there. We’d play the in Feb outside of MiLB season though.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”