Roanoke 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
JustOneTime

Re: Roanoke 2023

Post by JustOneTime »

Salisbury has a good chance to win it all this year. Noke can only hope they are at least competitive. If they are able to stay in the game then it will bode well for them the rest of the year.
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

laxdad1434 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:08 pm I mentioned this in another thread and I'll say it again. Getting spanked by 10-15 goals in the 1st game of the season to a much better team isn't going to make them a better team. It makes no-sense to schedule a team like Salisbury that early in the season.
This is a classic because then you’ll kill ‘em for not playing any good teams. Best time to play them is at the beginning of the season in my opinion. You might get one or two openings from late march/ april. Why not play them early February? Think it tells you where you’re at as a program. Any coach with a nutsack wants to schedule those teams.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

:roll:
BigFella wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:27 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:08 pm I mentioned this in another thread and I'll say it again. Getting spanked by 10-15 goals in the 1st game of the season to a much better team isn't going to make them a better team. It makes no-sense to schedule a team like Salisbury that early in the season.
This is a classic because then you’ll kill ‘em for not playing any good teams. Best time to play them is at the beginning of the season in my opinion. You might get one or two openings from late march/ april. Why not play them early February? Think it tells you where you’re at as a program. Any coach with a nutsack wants to schedule those teams.
[/quot
Love your spirit…good luck.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I think this is fair but the question is what is a good outcome? Win outright? A close loss? Not getting blown out?
Roanoke is going to be a good team and they should play games like this but they can be a good team that is fourth in their own conference and lose to Salisbury by 6/7 goals.
Brain

Post by Brain »

Noke with a 14-10 scrimmage win against RandyMac yesterday. Noke pulled starters in the 4th with RandyMac keeping them in the full game. Hearing the younger Kammerman may be better than the older, should be enticing for match up purposes against teams number 1 lockdown guy. Still no idea about faceoffs, hasn’t been fixed since Tuma graduated. Big test next week
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Brain wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:19 pm Noke with a 14-10 scrimmage win against RandyMac yesterday. Noke pulled starters in the 4th with RandyMac keeping them in the full game. Hearing the younger Kammerman may be better than the older, should be enticing for match up purposes against teams number 1 lockdown guy. Still no idea about faceoffs, hasn’t been fixed since Tuma graduated. Big test next week
Why did they play the girls team? RandyMac was the all girls campus
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Despite the score, Roanoke D looked better to me yesterday versus the last two years. They caused 14 TOs, struggled a bit in their zone but I think with practice it will improve. The goalie played outstanding, he made some incredible saves.
The last two years Noke started the season with a visit to CNU, and they looked overmatched in both games. I never felt like they were overmatched yesterday, that game was extremely competitive.
#23 had a welcome to college lacrosse moment right at the outset of the game when he got detwigged, and he was pretty quiet the rest of the way, not for a lack of effort, and he rode aggressively. He is a special player, he will have a great year and when Noke plays their big games at the end of the season, he will play a huge role.
Even without #23 playing a significant role, the offense seems more dangerous than it has in years past, really since Sarro graduated. Midfield looks stronger, some kids who can run past you and score down the alley. It is interesting to note that even with #23/#41 on the field, each of whom has great vision and passing ability, of the 10 goals Noke scored only one was assisted. That is a testament to how strong and quick the Salisbury D is, that is a really good group. Lost in all of the chatter about Ferrara etc. is the fact that their defense is stout - one of the SSDMs is a monster, and 11 is great too.
I thought that Noke would win this game because the Berry FO guy ate the Salisbury FO guys alive last weekend, and I figured that the Noke FO guys would do the same. Instead, the Salisbury FO guy got some momentum and they went 23-31 at the X. If you give the Salisbury offense that many possessions and that many shots - 56 total, 35 on goal - they will win the game every time. Salisbury also converted 2-4 man up situations, while Noke went 0-4.
I was optimistic about the season before yesterday, and even more so today. This is a good Noke team with a chance to do some special things this season if they keep working and improving.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

This was not a terrible start to the season. Not like last year anyway. Salisbury was for sure the better team but Roanoke should not hang their heads. It does take some balls to play a team like Salisbury on their field right out of the gate. Roanoke does not quit and will fight till the last whistle. They were clearly the smaller team but did not seem to be intimidated at all. There are certainly things that they need to improve on, the two things that I see being the most important are face offs/wing play and ssdm play. If they can get to 50% on face offs this year I think they will be in every game. The SSDM's were a step behind and a team like Salisbury will make you pay. They had a tough time dodging while on attack which against a team like Salisbury can be expected. That caused the attack to just take several bad shots. The zone D at times looked ok, they rotated efficiently and slid when needed. At other times it was picked apart, Salisbury will do that to a lot of teams. I thought the poles did fairly well in most one on one matchups. The positives I saw were a much improved clearing game with just a couple of unforced errors. Goalie play was very good as well. They had some Freshman and a transfer play well which is a good sign. Another positive is that they really believe they could hang with a powerhouse like Salisbury and many of the guys were actually pissed that they lost (vs last year against CNU it felt like they did not even belong). Let's see how they look at the end of February with a couple more weeks of practice under their belts.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

What did this tell them? https://twitter.com/i/status/1624803788367208451
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:10 pm
What did this tell them? https://twitter.com/i/status/1624803788367208451
Stick inside.

Either way thought they played pretty hard, not in the same class as Salisbury but still would schedule them.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Tough one for the Maroons yesterday. They know they can hang with the good teams but need to figure out a way to win these games. It was not one glaring issue vs Dickinson but just a few untimely mistakes. Face off unit lost 11 of 30 but it didn't feel that lopsided. Just need to make it a scrum and try to get to 50%. Goalie play was a bit uneven. He would make some nice saves but then let in some what appear to be easier looks. Tough to tell if he was screened on them. Defense played fairly well. Did not give up too many 6 on 6 goals but need to improve the communication. Seems like they should look to slide a bit quicker. The clearing game overall was solid. Just unfortunate that a couple of the failed clears led to quick goals. Attack looked great at times and then would make a forced pass or rush a bit. The Dickinson goalie is good but I thought we made him look better on several occasions by missing a few dunks.
They have a big stretch coming up against teams that will present a challenge. Just need to stack some wins to build up some confidence.
BTB Enthusiast

Post by BTB Enthusiast »

JustOneTime wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:41 am Tough one for the Maroons yesterday. They know they can hang with the good teams but need to figure out a way to win these games. It was not one glaring issue vs Dickinson but just a few untimely mistakes. Face off unit lost 11 of 30 but it didn't feel that lopsided. Just need to make it a scrum and try to get to 50%. Goalie play was a bit uneven. He would make some nice saves but then let in some what appear to be easier looks. Tough to tell if he was screened on them. Defense played fairly well. Did not give up too many 6 on 6 goals but need to improve the communication. Seems like they should look to slide a bit quicker. The clearing game overall was solid. Just unfortunate that a couple of the failed clears led to quick goals. Attack looked great at times and then would make a forced pass or rush a bit. The Dickinson goalie is good but I thought we made him look better on several occasions by missing a few dunks.
They have a big stretch coming up against teams that will present a challenge. Just need to stack some wins to build up some confidence.
… so this is why I keep hearing that the Kammerman’s are overrated. Cannot find a way to finish around the net. Still can’t find a reason for the hype.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

I think they are both good players. #41 is going to draw the top defenseman from each team they play. He seems to get frustrated and then gets a bit impatient and tries to force a pass rather than keep moving the ball. By this point he has been scouted a bunch so teams are going to know what to look for so he can't keep trying the same moves and expect them to work. #23 is a different type of player, he seems to be more of a guy who can dodge from the X. He has made some rookie mistakes and that is to be expected. I expect some fireworks from him in the next few years.
LaxDad45

Post by LaxDad45 »

BTB Enthusiast wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:26 pm
JustOneTime wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:41 am Tough one for the Maroons yesterday. They know they can hang with the good teams but need to figure out a way to win these games. It was not one glaring issue vs Dickinson but just a few untimely mistakes. Face off unit lost 11 of 30 but it didn't feel that lopsided. Just need to make it a scrum and try to get to 50%. Goalie play was a bit uneven. He would make some nice saves but then let in some what appear to be easier looks. Tough to tell if he was screened on them. Defense played fairly well. Did not give up too many 6 on 6 goals but need to improve the communication. Seems like they should look to slide a bit quicker. The clearing game overall was solid. Just unfortunate that a couple of the failed clears led to quick goals. Attack looked great at times and then would make a forced pass or rush a bit. The Dickinson goalie is good but I thought we made him look better on several occasions by missing a few dunks.
… so this is why I keep hearing that the Kammerman’s are overrated. Cannot find a way to finish around the net. Still can’t find a reason for the hype.
Tough to say 23 is overrated when he’s played 4 games in his career. As far as 41, what part about him is overrated?
KnowingWizardofODAC

Post by KnowingWizardofODAC »

LaxDad45 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:44 pm
Tough to say 23 is overrated when he’s played 4 games in his career. As far as 41, what part about him is overrated?
To say both of them are not overrated should come with some statistics. Looking at past ODAC seasons Roanoke has not been able to get over the hump and it’s because they rely too heavily on players like 41 when they can’t handle the heat. They are similar to HSC with Sean Duffy, when he leaves, they will be able to reach their best form.
KnowingWizardofODAC

Post by KnowingWizardofODAC »

LaxDad45 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:44 pm
To say both of them are not overrated should come with some statistics. Looking at past ODAC seasons Roanoke has not been able to get over the hump and it’s because they rely too heavily on players like 41 when they can’t handle the heat. They are similar to HSC with Sean Duffy, when he leaves, they will be able to reach their best form.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Fairly solid effort from the Maroons in beating a decent John Carroll team. Face off play was really good, if they get even close to that production the rest of the year it will be huge. Offense was taking some low percentage shots in the first half. When they were patient they were really good. I understand playing quick and not letting the D get set up but the tough angle shots or shots that lead to easy run outs for the other team are a problem. The D was solid, good in clearing but needs to get a handle on stopping fast breaks. Goalie play was interesting with Pilat deciding to give the freshman a look in the second half. We will see where that goes moving forward.
Big game on Tuesday vs F&M.
NokeLaxxxx

Post by NokeLaxxxx »

How we looking for playoffs
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Your guess is as good as mine. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose in the quarterfinals but I also wouldn't be totally shocked if they were to win a couple games and make the final. They have not been able to put a complete game together all year. Can't really pinpoint one thing that is the main problem. They will need to shoot better and score more off of unsettled situations because 6 on 6 they struggle to get quality looks or settle for bad angle shots. The problem with playing quick is that they end up playing too much defense. They will need their goalies to have some real big games.
NokeLaxxxx

Post by NokeLaxxxx »

How many guys will finish with all odac honors do we think?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”