Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
keno in reno

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by keno in reno »

Great win for Loyola. Their defense was real tough, and right now, Maryland's offense is not dynamic. Still, Terps had several point blank or wide open whiffs, shanks and drops. I wonder if Schaller might get a shot at the #3 D spot.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

2019, last time Terps got beat this badly,

over three years !
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Yeah that sucked. You knew a loss would come, even a tough one eventually, and maybe soon, but this was really soon and really tough. Just an all around bad day at the office. Murphy's Law sort of day. They haven't had one in years. Gotta dust off and get back at it next week. Schedule doesn't allow for many reprieves.

Pros:
- I did think some of the young guys showed some good flashes. Spanos beat his man several times. Just needs to speed up the clock. That'll come with time. Kelly has a well-rounded game, he was the best player, could have had more goals.
- Wierman showed still that he will give the team a chance in every game. They were down 2 going to the 4th in a game that they had a TO rate of 50% in. That's very valuable.
- Same goes for McNaney
- There were some other solid efforts on D. Wasn't an everything was bad performance on that end.

Cons:
- Been years since they had that kind of performance on offense. Regulation passing and catching was just porous. When you can't complete a routine fastbreak pass and catch that leads to a goal the other way, you have a feeling what's coming. The amount of dropped passes was crazy, but the amount of forced passes after the routine drops became even more frustrating. Just compounded the errors.
- Needed to be more decisive on offense. They had success winning some match-ups but too often forced passes that weren't there or threw behind a player. Sometimes guys are open, they don't need to be more open.
- Yeah, 49% turnover rate says it all. Last game per Lax Ref we had that high was 2017 against ND. Boy I remember that one being particularly torturous to the eyes
- I didn't think the defense was necessarily bad, but there was some really bad show but no go slide attempts for no apparent reason. Leaning to slide to an already covered guy and just leaving a Loyola shooter wide open. They just had way, way too many wide open looks today. maybe inexperience rearing it's ugly head there unfortunately
- Team definitely kind of got frustrated and lost composure at the end. Needed to settle in and try and push back off the ropes, we've seen this team come back from deficits that look rockier than 9-6 or even 10-6 with 10 minutes left many times before but they just forced it and let it get away from them very, very quickly. It'll be a learning experience.

Just a sucky day. Hopefully back at home means things flow better on offense, better luck in terms of seeing the ball go in, Staudt was excellent, Wierman should have a strong day at the X, get a lead and get things back on track before a key stretch with Princeton and Notre Dame. Gonna be a bumpy ride but it's a long one so plenty of road ahead.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

Biggest problem is we don’t have a go to guy on offense anymore….when the offense is flowing like last week we are fine, but when we get bogged down there is no Wisnauskas, DeMaio, or Bernhardt that can create their own shot. Also credit to their goalie for some amazing plays…
Last edited by Bmk2222 on Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

You do realize the McNaney went down at the end of the game and was carried to the locker room.
genghiskhanbluejay

Post by genghiskhanbluejay »

Hilarious that you pompous bitches only scheduled 12 games, hope you don't get in.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The Terps have a serious issue at attack right now. I will not be surprised if Long gets moved down there, although teams will force him to score goals because they know he'd rather dish. But Tills and Jake might need to move him there and Murphy back up top as a midfielder. They need someone behind the goal that draw a slide. I don't think that's Murphy right now, and it's clear he's never been asked to carry the ball so much. You can see it's in his game, but he's not able to execute it right now. Get him back to a spot where you can let his shooting shine.

You knew Loyola was going to attack Maryland's shorties. I didn't think Loyola would have so much success attacking Burlace.

Teams have figured out ways to negate Wierman in transition. They've also figured out how to negate Maryland's substitute game advantages. At least 8 or 9 of the Terps' turnovers were dropped passes or bad passes. Staudt got in their heads, too. Some of the shots they airmailed were clearly shooters trying too hard to be perfect.

I'd be surprised if we see McNaney in goal for a while. At first, it looked like his rolled his ankle. Hearing now it's likely a knee. It buckled when he tried to jump that pass at on the sideline. Teddy Dolan is up next.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:30 pm Hilarious that you pompous bitches only scheduled 12 games, hope you don't get in.
Who are you?
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:26 pm You do realize the McNaney went down at the end of the game and was carried to the locker room.
I didn’t. Rewritten.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

If he's moved down to attack, Long has to be more decisive. There were a lot of moments today where he had an opportunity to attack a match-up and he passed or he just outright forced a pass. He's got to be the main guy on the team, not just another cog in the wheel. Loyola played him like he was always going to pass and that limits you. We know he can draw a slide, but you have to show the other team you can hurt them both ways. Especially if he's at attack, that element has to open it up.

I think there are options to win match-ups. Kelly got a step at times. Spanos as well. Everything was just a trigger too slow. You can't turn it over 20+ times. There was a lot of forcing things. I think things will come as the season goes on, but till they do, you can't force things.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Obviously brutal to loss McNaney for any period of time, but book on Teddy Dolan is pretty darn strong. For his career per Lax Ref he has 0.060 excess saves per attempt, which is 92nd percentile, so he makes saves well, well above what the nationally average goalie makes. 57% career save percentage at Binghamton is in 84th percentile for D1 goalies. This is a big step up in competition but he's had some impressive performances against tougher competition in the past as well; made 18 saves for Binghamton in a 17-4 loss to Cuse way back in 2020. Think he'll do pretty well in relief. Hope is that there's no drop-off in terms of communication on clears and out of net situations where reps are so key and McNaney was very strong
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Wheels wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:37 pm
genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:30 pm Hilarious that you pompous bitches only scheduled 12 games, hope you don't get in.
Who are you?
Terps will get in,

big loss if McNaney is out.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:44 pm If he's moved down to attack, Long has to be more decisive. There were a lot of moments today where he had an opportunity to attack a match-up and he passed or he just outright forced a pass. He's got to be the main guy on the team, not just another cog in the wheel. Loyola played him like he was always going to pass and that limits you. We know he can draw a slide, but you have to show the other team you can hurt them both ways. Especially if he's at attack, that element has to open it up.

I think there are options to win match-ups. Kelly got a step at times. Spanos as well. Everything was just a trigger too slow. You can't turn it over 20+ times. There was a lot of forcing things. I think things will come as the season goes on, but till they do, you can't force things.
Asking Kelly or Spanos to carry that load is probably a bit too much to ask at this point. You're right about Long. Teams will force him to score goals because he's more comfortable dishing the ball. Even in his 100+ point seasons at Springfield High, he had far more assists than goals.

If the Terps have to keep inverting their midfielders draw slides but Long ends up as a wing shooter (not his strength), then what's the point?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Oh yeah, if they're The Guy, then it's going to be a tough day, as we saw today. They were the best players. Murphy and Long need to be the best players. But there were moments there were matchups were being won. I thought they could win more match-ups to be honest, I think that the team just played a step too slow in everything they did. Passes were a half tick off and knocked down or intercepted, dodges initiated too late. Everything needed to just be quicker. Credit Loyola, they got after them.

If Long can bump down and get things started, I think you saw enough success from Spanos, Kelly, even Brennan that the ball can spin from there the way this offense spaces the people to still have great success. But definitely needs that pivot and needs to get things going quicker. Again, no matter what, turning it over on 50% of your possessions is asking for an L.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Very awkward play for McNaney,
did not look good,

a freak hustle play where you simply land wrong.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:49 pm Very awkward play for McNaney,
did not look good,

a freak hustle play where you simply land wrong.
Expecting worst case news there.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Someone’s ego still bruised from last years shlackings
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

IL article of the game

An interesting sequence unfolded when Tillman called timeout to start the second half. Postgame, he spoke about a little-known rule that, if you have an unused timeout at the end of the first half, you can use it during halftime to delay the start of the third quarter. He said his team was in the halftime locker room a little bit longer trying to go over some things, “So we figured we would just use it,” but multiple sources wondered or speculated after the game whether Maryland used the extra time to give treatment to McNaney, who may have been hampered by injury coming into the game.
I did notice he went from sweats pants to shorts
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

JRN has it right. Long needs to shoot too. Someone needs to beat their man. We had some really good looks in the 1st qtr particularly. Loyola goalie stood tall. Their D played great. To have such an advantage in GB’s, Faceoffs and shots and fail offensively is worrisome for sure. McNaney is out for awhile if he comes back. Looked really bad. I hope I’m wrong. Shoot poorly and turn it 22 times, is certain to lose.Tillman shows again why he such a great coach…having Dolan will allow the Terps to compete.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”