Notre Dame 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: Notre Dame 2023

Post by Matnum PI »

Sure enough, no games between 4/8 and 4/22...

Why do they do this? To rest the players before the tourney starts?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:23 am Sure enough, no games between 4/8 and 4/22...

Why do they do this? To rest the players before the tourney starts?
there are 5 teams in the acc and every weekend one team will not have a conference game.
other conferences are also in conference play at this time. if they can't find a dance partner, they are off for the weekend.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:37 am ...if they can't find a dance partner, they are off for the weekend.
They can't find a dance partner for 2 weeks in April?...
Caddy Day
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:42 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:37 am ...if they can't find a dance partner, they are off for the weekend.
it's one weekend? once teams are in conference play, they're reluctant to play mid-week games. conference games are the season for many conferences, their only shot at a bid.

for conferences with bid potential, they probably feel it's not worth the risk. notre dame probably could find somebody (whoever's off that week in the patriot or other odd # leagues?), or someone may beat them to the punch. or they'd have to pick up and travel as their budget's bigger than most and they're not willing to.

course, i don't know the exact circumstamces, just spitballing. having a week off isn't the end of the world. football does it all the time. multiple times.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:49 am ...having a week off isn't the end of the world. football does it all the time. multiple times.
That's true. It's not 14 days, it's 13 which is really just one Saturday with no weekday games. None the less, that's a lot of time off. And, as you're saying, it makes sense.
Caddy Day
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:49 am
it's one weekend? once teams are in conference play, they're reluctant to play mid-week games. conference games are the season for many conferences, their only shot at a bid.

for conferences with bid potential, they probably feel it's not worth the risk. notre dame probably could find somebody (whoever's off that week in the patriot or other odd # leagues?), or someone may beat them to the punch. or they'd have to pick up and travel as their budget's bigger than most and they're not willing to.

course, i don't know the exact circumstamces, just spitballing. having a week off isn't the end of the world. football does it all the time. multiple times.
Play mid week w Bart. They were a regular on
The schedule in the 90s
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
suitcase10

Post by suitcase10 »

the folks at the Cedar Inn would be happy with that
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:21 pm

The schedule in the 90s
hobart hasn't played anyone outside of upstate mid-week since raymond's been there. not sure if any between weekend conference games, but maybe.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:42 pm

The schedule in the 90s
hobart hasn't played anyone outside of upstate mid-week since raymond's been there. not sure if any between weekend conference games, but maybe.
We have Dartmouth in a Tuesday this March.

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... ?path=mlax

Raymond had to clean up a mess left behind but yes he scheduled too soft for too long. Scholarships and conference changes are going to change that.

Have also played a lot of midweek April games vs cuse over his tenure - in state but not like throwing St Bonny or Bing in there.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:30 pm

The schedule in the 90s

Raymond had to clean up a mess left behind but yes he scheduled too soft for too long. Scholarships and conference changes are going to change that.

Have also played a lot of midweek April games vs cuse over his tenure - in state but not like throwing St Bonny or Bing in there.
i'm just saying midweek travel is an issue for these teams. buses vs planes. classes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:55 pm

The schedule in the 90s

i'm just saying midweek travel is an issue for these teams. buses vs planes. classes.
Yes but try and someone would step up. So can't blame everyone else on this if ND wants it.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:54 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:55 pm

The schedule in the 90s

Yes but try and someone would step up. So can't blame everyone else on this if ND wants it.
sure, there isn't anyone else to blame, it's not an issue. to me or them probably, too. just circumstances.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Most ACC teams have had a bye somewhere in April on the schedule in the 5 team configuration. Notre Dame is usually the one who does the full week off but I think UNC has done it recently as well. Cuse always did a weekend game Notre dame last weekend of March, midweek vs Hobart to start April, then didn't play that weekend, but would play Cornell on the Tuesday. Virginia perhaps infamously played their last regular season game April 24th and had that 3 week gap before playing a tournament game in 2021. Forget about Duke but they also play a gajillion games
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It’s just light and less opportunities. Not on everyone to provide more it’s on them or else they risk what happened last year.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:15 pm It’s just light and less opportunities. Not on everyone to provide more it’s on them or else they risk what happened last year.
sure, it's not on anyone else, i suspect notre dame plays the number of games they want each season. or at least has limits to the lengths they'll go. their call. personally, i haven't seen it as a higher risk to date to have fewer games, but folks may see it differently. they have bumped up to 13 games in '23.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They’re playing 12 games as usual
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:02 am They’re playing 12 games as usual
thanks. i didn't catch that they'd dropped detroit mercy as a game, now a scrimmage given the date. smart move to drop mercy until they get their legs back under themselves.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The spirit of competition thrives!
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:53 am The spirit of competition thrives!
looks like they're into rotating clev st and detroit lately. having them both on the schedule if both don't win games is career suicide. michigan had 'em both last year and yet not in '23.

detroit has had some solid years in the past. they only got 7 games in 2021, covid might've brushed them back temporarily.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:10 pm Most ACC teams have had a bye somewhere in April on the schedule in the 5 team configuration. Notre Dame is usually the one who does the full week off but I think UNC has done it recently as well. Cuse always did a weekend game Notre dame last weekend of March, midweek vs Hobart to start April, then didn't play that weekend, but would play Cornell on the Tuesday. Virginia perhaps infamously played their last regular season game April 24th and had that 3 week gap before playing a tournament game in 2021. Forget about Duke but they also play a gajillion games
'cuse is the only acc team that filled their bye week this year. they must've caught p'ton on their bye.

duke had 2 1/2 weeks last year, and still managed 17 games, they've cut it to 15 this year.

the acc schedule model has really been a cluster. interrupted rivalries with uva/jhu, 'cuse/cornell and army and i'm sure others. they really didn't think this thru that the post-covid year was a one off.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”