Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by a fan »

What sucks so bad about the stupid immigration stuff is that easily 99% of Americans know how stupid the current set up is. And if we had a way to put up a new system that didn't have a party affiliation assigned to it, easily 90% would sign up for a new thoughtful system over our current system.

So what old salt suggested as a system several pages back would likely work just fine for, say, dislaxxic. The details, frankly, aren't all that important. We just need to get something on the books, and tweak it a little over time.

Problem, of course, is Congress. They don't want to fix the problems. So here we are. Stuck.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

One of the problems being of “illegals” or temps didn’t do the work it wouldn’t get done. Local example: crab houses that would hire migrants couldn’t find them in the necessary numbers last year. Result was cost of crab meat skyrocketed. Vegetables and fruit in the imperial valley didn’t get picked as they would have been. Prices jumped. To name a few.

The rapid growth of automation and AI are going to enhance the great divide in wealth. McDonald’s now has computer ordering stations. When wealth disparities get too wide they become destabilizing.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

They couldn't find the crab pickers because they wouldn't pay them a fair market wage.

There are plenty of crappy jobs that get filled - you want to know how?.... they pay a good wage.

The industries that prey on the illegal immigrants know they don't have to pay a fair wage. many of them also don't pay employment taxes either. My response F them, they can pick their own damn crabs then.

Illegal workers are all about maintaining non market based profits for owners of businesses (or below market costs for people to clean your toilet for you).
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

HooDat wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:38 am They couldn't find the crab pickers because they wouldn't pay them a fair market wage.

There are plenty of crappy jobs that get filled - you want to know how?.... they pay a good wage.

The industries that prey on the illegal immigrants know they don't have to pay a fair wage. many of them also don't pay employment taxes either. My response F them, they can pick their own damn crabs then.

Illegal workers are all about maintaining non market based profits for owners of businesses (or below market costs for people to clean your toilet for you).
Picking crabs for a living requires some skill. When you earn by the pound, speed matters....while waste matters to the owner. Since forever, crab pickers have been paid by the pound. The Queen of Pickers

What I do find somewhat ironic - these owners are likely hard core Rs.....while many tend to make this all about Ds getting votes.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:58 am
What I do find somewhat ironic - these owners are likely hard core Rs.....while many tend to make this all about Ds getting votes.
Seriously? Can you tell the likely political party of all business owners, or just the crab picking industry? So I guess Dungeness crab boat owners, being on the west coast, are all likely Ds? :roll:

Tell you what - I’ll delete this post mocking your insanely ridiculous comment if you edit the original comment out of your post. Deal?
a fan

Post by a fan »

HooDat wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:38 am They couldn't find the crab pickers because they wouldn't pay them a fair market wage.

Bingo! And THIS is why neither party wants to fix the system: their donors benefit from the current system. Period.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:29 pm

Bingo! And THIS is why neither party wants to fix the system: their donors benefit from the current system. Period.
Ruling class....Gentry class... Peasants
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:03 pm
Seriously? Can you tell the likely political party of all business owners, or just the crab picking industry? So I guess Dungeness crab boat owners, being on the west coast, are all likely Ds? :roll:

Tell you what - I’ll delete this post mocking your insanely ridiculous comment if you edit the original comment out of your post. Deal?
I have no idea about dungenness crabs, but OC was referring to picking Chesapeake Eastern Shore blue crabs. You betcha all those owners are R's. Not a close call, not in doubt. It's not as if their political donations aren't well known.

I sorta agree with HooDat, though I do like my Chesapeake Bay blue crab cakes and would likely find them totally unaffordable. They'd be 100% replaced by a similar, but not same, crab meat picked in southeast asia with labor costs lower than what crab pickers on the Eastern Shore get paid. That's already beginning to happen...if you don't know for sure the sourcing is local Chesapeake Bay there's a good chance it's not.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:27 pm [quote=SCLaxAttack post_id=42369 time=<a href="tel:1555603400">1555603400</a> user_id=315]
[quote=foreverlax post_id=42350 time=<a href="tel:1555599532">1555599532</a> user_id=270]

[/quote]

I have no idea about dungenness crabs, but OC was referring to picking Chesapeake Eastern Shore blue crabs. You betcha all those owners are R's. Not a close call, not in doubt. It's not as if their political donations aren't well known.

I sorta agree with HooDat, though I do like my Chesapeake Bay blue crab cakes and would likely find them totally unaffordable. They'd be 100% replaced by a similar, but not same, crab meat picked in southeast asia with labor costs lower than what crab pickers on the Eastern Shore get paid. That's already beginning to happen...if you don't know for sure the sourcing is local Chesapeake Bay there's a good chance it's not.
[/quote]

Ownership of this industry by people who are Rs is simply impossible. According to these articles, all these crab picking businesses are law-abiding that rely on seasonal visas for their workforce, and we all know that business owning Rs are scum of the earth law breakers. At least that’s what progressives on these boards constantly tell us.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... ncna874041
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltim ... y,amp.html
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:27 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:03 pm

You have to ask the wait staff....or tell the waiter staff to ask the chef.....
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:33 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:27 pm [quote=SCLaxAttack post_id=42369 time=<a href="tel:1555603400">1555603400</a> user_id=315]
[quote=foreverlax post_id=42350 time=<a href="tel:1555599532">1555599532</a> user_id=270]

[/quote]

Ownership of this industry by people who are Rs is simply impossible. According to these articles, all these crab picking businesses are law-abiding that rely on seasonal visas for their workforce, and we all know that business owning Rs are scum of the earth law breakers. At least that’s what progressives on these boards constantly tell us.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... ncna874041
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltim ... y,amp.html
[/quote]

We're all 'scum of the earth law breakers' ?
Because we're R's, or R business owners??

Despite being an R business owner, I somehow missed getting that message from my fellow LP or FL posters, including the most 'progressive' on here.

What I do hear is the pointing out of the gross hypocrisy from the Trumpist GOP on the issue of immigration, legal or illegal.

BTW, good article today in the WSJ on the importance of immigration, both legal and illegal, to the current and future economy of the USA.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:31 pm What sucks so bad about the stupid immigration stuff is that easily 99% of Americans know how stupid the current set up is. And if we had a way to put up a new system that didn't have a party affiliation assigned to it, easily 90% would sign up for a new thoughtful system over our current system.

So what old salt suggested as a system several pages back would likely work just fine for, say, dislaxxic. The details, frankly, aren't all that important. We just need to get something on the books, and tweak it a little over time.

Problem, of course, is Congress. They don't want to fix the problems. So here we are. Stuck.
Problem, of course, is Congress. They don't want to fix the problems. So here we are. Stuck. BINGO, BINGO, BINGO, BINGO. Winner winner chicken dinner. It always revolves back to the same sad reality. Neither party has any interesting in fixing anything. If they wanted to they would have done it a long time ago. :roll:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

There are many people in MD who will not buy or dine on crabs from outside MD. My household won’t. We will pay the extra. Howevah the lack of workers led to a drop in supply and price therefore went up
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Actually wages in the final analysis are not based on market levels.

To that point South Carolina lured Boeing to love some operations from Washington because they would lower their costs eg wages

It is also true labor markets are not efficient
Last edited by OCanada on Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

OCanada wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:43 pm Actually wages in the final analysis are not based on market levels.

To that point South Carolina lured Boeing to love some operations from Washington because they would lower their costs eg wages
Did you see where—Today—Governor Cuomo RIGHTED the wrong you told me I was lying about the other day. You know where NY democrats authorized 27 million for college tuitions for ILLEGAL immigrants yet denied them for the Children of fallen vets. Guess I wasn't wrong.

https://www.syracuse.com/politics/2019/ ... ldren.html
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Provide the quote where I made that specific quote.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

OCanada wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:57 pm Provide the quote where I made that specific quote.
I didn't say it. I never said it. You can't prove I said it. The Bart Simpson defense.

Liberals NEVER EVER say what they said. Especially when they delete the post.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

So you can’t. You have zero integrity imo
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

OCanada wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:41 pm So you can’t. You have zero integrity imo
You know pretty darn well you posted that I misrepresented the issue. Your post was right after mine. Now it's gone.

Talk about no integrity.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:50 pm
OCanada wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:43 pm Actually wages in the final analysis are not based on market levels.

Did you see where—Today—Governor Cuomo RIGHTED the wrong you told me I was lying about the other day. You know where NY democrats authorized 27 million for college tuitions for ILLEGAL immigrants yet denied them for the Children of fallen vets. Guess I wasn't wrong.

https://www.syracuse.com/politics/2019/ ... ldren.html
I told you you were lying about it the other day - viewtopic.php?f=66&t=383&p=40726#p40726

Gold Star families who weren't killed in combat could already apply for those tuitions undocumented (illegals and future citizens alike) could apply for. They already had GI bill benefits. They were never DENIED the same tuition supposedly "Illegals" get.

Now Gold Star families get free tuition regardless of how the serviceman or woman was killed. While I agree with the idea in theory, it's unfunded and coming directly from your pocket because it was a political gotcha instead of part of the normal budget process.

You've got increased spending with no increase in .gov revenues. The MO of Republicans to score political points.

You lied about the bills.

Return to “POLITICS”