2023 Virginia Public GLax

HS Girls Lacrosse
VAMomGlax2019

Re: 2023 Virginia Public GLax

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

StackO wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:32 am Spring schedules are starting to come out. Looking forward to some of the out of District matchups.

Battlefield

Scrimmages

Westfield
Riverside

Season

Yorktown
James Madison
South County
Woodson
Falls Church
Centreville
Yorktown is the only strong team on this list. If Battlefield loses to any of these other teams it will be a bad season for them. The usual good teams will not be as strong as in the past. Madison and Woodson don’t seem to be the teams of old. Riverside will not be good.
Robolobo

Post by Robolobo »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:58 pm
StackO wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:32 am Spring schedules are starting to come out. Looking forward to some of the out of District matchups.

Battlefield

Scrimmages

Westfield
Riverside

Season

Yorktown
James Madison
South County
Woodson
Falls Church
Centreville
Yorktown is the only strong team on this list. If Battlefield loses to any of these other teams it will be a bad season for them. The usual good teams will not be as strong as in the past. Madison and Woodson don’t seem to be the teams of old. Riverside will not be good.

From what I understand, Battlefield lost some good players as well from last year. Unless you got some inside knowledge of Battlefield, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss these other teams as some of them will be pretty good based on what I've seen and hear from people. (And if you have inside knowledge of Battlefield, I wouldn't be putting out this bulletin board material).

IMHO, I believe Battlefield could lose to a few of them and still be a very good team with a shot at a state title in the end from playing a tougher schedule that gets them ready. IIRC, Yorktown played a tough schedule and lost a few games and had some close calls, but it had them ready for the tournament last year.
StackO

Post by StackO »

100% totally agree. Battlefield lost half starting lineup.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

No inside info. Just based on what I’ve seen and heard. It’s great to hear Battlefield is trying to improve its schedule. My point was more about they are playing schools who have traditionally been good, but will not be as good this season. They are a year late. If Battlefield wants to test themselves against the better teams they should have planned ahead and scheduled teams like Yorktown, Oakton, Dominion, and SSSA this year. Beating 6As Madison and Woodson will not carry the same weight this year. South County is not a strong program. In 5A Riverside will not be good this year. So Battlefield won’t gain much and won’t be able to say much about beating teams they are expected to beat. If they don’t it could be a long season. They are usually saved by playing in the weakest region among all 6A, 5A and 4A schools.
StackO

Post by StackO »

Battlefield just finalized schedule by adding Langley.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

StackO wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:16 am Battlefield just finalized schedule by adding Langley.
Another team expected to not be as strong as in previous years. Battlefield can’t expect to get credit for playing teams that are past their primes or expected to field weaker teams compared to years past. Let’s hope they don’t lose these games.
StackO

Post by StackO »

So in 6A who would be your top 10 if none of these teams stack up?
Robolobo

Post by Robolobo »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:03 pm
StackO wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:16 am Battlefield just finalized schedule by adding Langley.
Another team expected to not be as strong as in previous years. Battlefield can’t expect to get credit for playing teams that are past their primes or expected to field weaker teams compared to years past. Let’s hope they don’t lose these games.
Sounds like someone has some animosity toward the Bobcats? Maybe a rival? Anyway, IMHO those teams they added this year are as good or better than almost anyone they would see in Region A or B (maybe only a couple other would be at that level), so the BF coaches deserve credit for going out and challenging them. I've been at this over the years with a few kids, and every year when the older girls graduate, people say teams will be down, but they discount the youngsters coming through that often grow up during the season and become the next batch of "star" players. Having seen a range of these teams in the offseason, some I think are going to being good teams this year, and some may be down. However, taken as a group, I fully expect them to be the stronger half of Battlefield's schedule and help them step up their game (win or lose).

If Battlefield wants to get where they ultimately want to be, let's hope they don't lose to any teams from their region. That would be losing to a weaker team.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Robolobo wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:13 pm
VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:03 pm
Sounds like someone has some animosity toward the Bobcats? Maybe a rival? Anyway, IMHO those teams they added this year are as good or better than almost anyone they would see in Region A or B (maybe only a couple other would be at that level), so the BF coaches deserve credit for going out and challenging them. I've been at this over the years with a few kids, and every year when the older girls graduate, people say teams will be down, but they discount the youngsters coming through that often grow up during the season and become the next batch of "star" players. Having seen a range of these teams in the offseason, some I think are going to being good teams this year, and some may be down. However, taken as a group, I fully expect them to be the stronger half of Battlefield's schedule and help them step up their game (win or lose).

If Battlefield wants to get where they ultimately want to be, let's hope they don't lose to any teams from their region. That would be losing to a weaker team.

No animosity at all. Others seem to hype Battlefield on this and other sites. Those hyping Battlfield have responded to naysayers by noting Battlefield has improved their schedule. It does appear they have done this, so applaud the effort. The point I’m making is the teams they have scheduled are not as strong as in past years. This would have been a tough schedule a year ago. So while better than what Battlefield has scheduled previously it won’t be too tough this season. If Battlefield is as good as you and others advertise they will have few problems with those they added to the schedule.
BuckyLou

Post by BuckyLou »

StackO wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:38 pm So in 6A who would be your top 10 if none of these teams stack up?
Don't worry SO, the rankings will be back this year. :ugeek: It's a little too early for them now, but from what I've seen, you guys will be in them, as well as a number of your opponents (and those VAMG19 says are good). The question is where everyone will be at? Stay tuned!
StackO

Post by StackO »

BuckyLou wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:44 am
StackO wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:38 pm So in 6A who would be your top 10 if none of these teams stack up?
Don't worry SO, the rankings will be back this year. :ugeek: It's a little too early for them now, but from what I've seen, you guys will be in them, as well as a number of your opponents (and those VAMG19 says are good). The question is where everyone will be at? Stay tuned!
Always enjoy your input.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

If Battlefield wanted to test itself against the best they needed to go outside of 6A this year. Local publics have been scheduling privates to include SSSA, STAB, Visi, and PVI over the past few years. Why didn’t Battlefield do the same. Again, others on this board are the ones consistently hyping Battlefield and saying they belong. I like that the team scheduled Yorktown. Would have liked to see them add publics like Oakton or Dominion this season. They should have added at least one of the four privates noted previously. Their schedule is a step up, but beating the teams they have scheduled won’t carry the same weight as years past. If Battlefield is as good as advertised on this board they should win all of their games with the exception of maybe Yorktown. And saying you beat any of the others will not catch anyone’s attention. Neither Langley or Riverside will be state contenders this season.
Robolobo

Post by Robolobo »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:15 pm If Battlefield wanted to test itself against the best they needed to go outside of 6A this year. Local publics have been scheduling privates to include SSSA, STAB, Visi, and PVI over the past few years. Why didn’t Battlefield do the same. Again, others on this board are the ones consistently hyping Battlefield and saying they belong. I like that the team scheduled Yorktown. Would have liked to see them add publics like Oakton or Dominion this season. They should have added at least one of the four privates noted previously. Their schedule is a step up, but beating the teams they have scheduled won’t carry the same weight as years past. If Battlefield is as good as advertised on this board they should win all of their games with the exception of maybe Yorktown. And saying you beat any of the others will not catch anyone’s attention. Neither Langley or Riverside will be state contenders this season.
I see the point that the next step would be for Battelfield to play some of the good privates, in scrimmages or games, as a true test. I don't think its a case where everyone thinks Battlefield is sooo good, I think it's been more of we don't know where they really stand because of their schedule and being gifted an easy road to the state finals. We should get at least a better measure of comparison for them this year with other Class 6 publics given the step up in schedule, which is a start. And while I agree with you on Oakton being a good measure this year, I am not sure Dominion would carry the same weight as years past. Yes, they are the odds on favorite by a lot in class 4, but IIRC they lost in big matchups with Class 6 schools last year. When my older dd's were playing, I remember the 2019 era Titans wouldn't lose to a public in-season or out of season, regardless of class.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Robolobo wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:26 am
VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:15 pm If Battlefield wanted to test itself against the best they needed to go outside of 6A this year. Local publics have been scheduling privates to include SSSA, STAB, Visi, and PVI over the past few years. Why didn’t Battlefield do the same. Again, others on this board are the ones consistently hyping Battlefield and saying they belong. I like that the team scheduled Yorktown. Would have liked to see them add publics like Oakton or Dominion this season. They should have added at least one of the four privates noted previously. Their schedule is a step up, but beating the teams they have scheduled won’t carry the same weight as years past. If Battlefield is as good as advertised on this board they should win all of their games with the exception of maybe Yorktown. And saying you beat any of the others will not catch anyone’s attention. Neither Langley or Riverside will be state contenders this season.
I see the point that the next step would be for Battelfield to play some of the good privates, in scrimmages or games, as a true test. I don't think its a case where everyone thinks Battlefield is sooo good, I think it's been more of we don't know where they really stand because of their schedule and being gifted an easy road to the state finals. We should get at least a better measure of comparison for them this year with other Class 6 publics given the step up in schedule, which is a start. And while I agree with you on Oakton being a good measure this year, I am not sure Dominion would carry the same weight as years past. Yes, they are the odds on favorite by a lot in class 4, but IIRC they lost in big matchups with Class 6 schools last year. When my older dd's were playing, I remember the 2019 era Titans wouldn't lose to a public in-season or out of season, regardless of class.
Good points. If I recall correctly Dominion and Riverside had a great rivalry back then. They were two of the top, if not the top publics in the area. Both schools have sent a good number of players on to top D1 programs. Dominion will not be as strong this year. Riverside has had some great runs like Dominion, but their pipeline of players has dried up.
Coyote-K

Post by Coyote-K »

What about Centreville on Battlefield's schedule? Centreville beat Battlefield last year 11-9 and lost 14-15 in the 1st round of Regionals to Yorktown. I think they have 3 or 4 D1 commits and nearly entire starting roster is travel players.

Yorktown and Oakton seem like two of the favorites right now.
StackO

Post by StackO »

I have seen both Oakton and Yorktown on the field at STJ. It’s hard to get a feel for the teams 7v7. Centreville is moving in right direction and I believe you are right about the other 2 being the teams to beat. We will see. Less than 2 months first games that count.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

StackO wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:24 am I have seen both Oakton and Yorktown on the field at STJ. It’s hard to get a feel for the teams 7v7. Centreville is moving in right direction and I believe you are right about the other 2 being the teams to beat. We will see. Less than 2 months first games that count.
I agree, it's hard to tell much from indoor. Without draws, a lot of things are skewed. Also, often teams are missing players, playing everyone for experience, etc. And it varies game by game/week to week on teams based on who shows. Indoor gives one data point, but that's all it is - one thing to consider. Results mean less than how the teams compete at times.

Based on the full off-season and who they have coming back, I agree Oakton, Yorktown and C'Ville all will have strong teams this year. But we will see in 6 weeks or so when they start to take the field as full squads how everyone looks.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:21 pm
StackO wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:24 am I have seen both Oakton and Yorktown on the field at STJ. It’s hard to get a feel for the teams 7v7. Centreville is moving in right direction and I believe you are right about the other 2 being the teams to beat. We will see. Less than 2 months first games that count.
I agree, it's hard to tell much from indoor. Without draws, a lot of things are skewed. Also, often teams are missing players, playing everyone for experience, etc. And it varies game by game/week to week on teams based on who shows. Indoor gives one data point, but that's all it is - one thing to consider. Results mean less than how the teams compete at times.

Based on the full off-season and who they have coming back, I agree Oakton, Yorktown and C'Ville all will have strong teams this year. But we will see in 6 weeks or so when they start to take the field as full squads how everyone looks.
Excuse me for my apparent ignorance. Centerville is good again? No offence intended, I think that is a good thing.
VA-GLaxFan

Post by VA-GLaxFan »

New Topic, let’s get off of the teams and talk about who some of the top players are for the upcoming year? Who is going to dominate and control the tempo of the games?
Captain BBY

Post by Captain BBY »

Top Offensive player is at Oakton, with other top players at Woodson, South County, Centreville, Westfield and Robinson. Yorktown has potential but hearing their top players may be out. Battlefield as well.

Top Goalies are at Chantilly (transfer from the privates) and Kettle Run.

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”