US Lax Mag All Americans

D1 Mens Lacrosse
livelovelax

US Lax Mag All Americans

Post by livelovelax »

2023 Pre season All American players selected by US Lax Mag. Thoughts?
Nassaufan

Re: US Lax Mag All Americans

Post by Nassaufan »

Link?
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Shellenberger
O’Neill
Brandau

Handley
Bundy
Campbell

Bowen
Adler
Makar

Weirman

Meyer

Maher

McNaney
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

The midfield, defense and FO are hard to beat,

attack is up in the air, tbd, with so many 5th years
graduating.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

CJ
molo

Post by molo »

As in best Ivy attackman?
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

molo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:57 pm As in best Ivy attackman?
CJ Kirst is awesome -- I could see him replacing either O'Neill or Brandau (and I'm speaking as a Yale supporter and Brandau fan). I think Kirst is top 3 Tewey potential this year.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

O'Neill is a great player but he doesn't produce nearly as much as, say, Kavanagh or Myers and I don't think the attention he draws has necessarily opened up a lot of opportunities for others on Duke's team. You could argue he'll take the leap this year to truly Tewaaraton level, but I personally think you could make a better argument there for Kirst.

Zapitello is better than Bowen and frankly I think will be the best in the country in '23 but I understand not having 2 MD guys among Top 3
Laxfanatic2022

Post by Laxfanatic2022 »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:44 pm O'Neill is a great player but he doesn't produce nearly as much as, say, Kavanagh or Myers and I don't think the attention he draws has necessarily opened up a lot of opportunities for others on Duke's team. You could argue he'll take the leap this year to truly Tewaaraton level, but I personally think you could make a better argument there for Kirst.

Zapitello is better than Bowen and frankly I think will be the best in the country in '23 but I understand not having 2 MD guys among Top 3
Zappitello is a 2nd-3rd team AA he is most definitely not better than Bowen. Saying he will be the best in the country in 23’ is completely insane and shows you’ve watched no film. Adler and Bowen are far and away better than him. If an opponent has a big guy Makar marks him and small guy Zappitello marks him. There’s no clear #1 and both of them are not near the level of Adler and Bowen. I’d take Kastner over Zappitello too. As a former defenseman who studies the game this statement is insane
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Laxfanatic2022 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:00 pm
jrn19 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:44 pm O'Neill is a great player but he doesn't produce nearly as much as, say, Kavanagh or Myers and I don't think the attention he draws has necessarily opened up a lot of opportunities for others on Duke's team. You could argue he'll take the leap this year to truly Tewaaraton level, but I personally think you could make a better argument there for Kirst.

Zappitello is a 2nd-3rd team AA he is most definitely not better than Bowen. Saying he will be the best in the country in 23’ is completely insane and shows you’ve watched no film. Adler and Bowen are far and away better than him. If an opponent has a big guy Makar marks him and small guy Zappitello marks him. There’s no clear #1 and both of them are not near the level of Adler and Bowen. I’d take Kastner over Zappitello too. As a former defenseman who studies the game this statement is insane
As big of a fan I am of Zappitello's game, I am going to have to agree with Laxfanatic here.. Bowen can seemingly guard anyone while also contributing on the offensive end as well. He had more CTO/GB's than Zappitello and faced tougher matchups with less of a supporting cast. That's not a knock on Zappitello, but more of a compliment on how good Bowen is.

With all that being said, IMO Adler is the best defenseman in the country. He went on a tear last year against some very good opponents. What other defensemen do you know that can shut down a teams best player, register almost 2 caused TO's a game, and also put up 75(!!!) Groundballs in a season for a NCAA runner up team... That is absurd.

Really excited to watch these guys compete this year.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Ok
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Laxguy703 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:37 pm

As big of a fan I am of Zappitello's game, I am going to have to agree with Laxfanatic here.. Bowen can seemingly guard anyone while also contributing on the offensive end as well. He had more CTO/GB's than Zappitello and faced tougher matchups with less of a supporting cast. That's not a knock on Zappitello, but more of a compliment on how good Bowen is.

With all that being said, IMO Adler is the best defenseman in the country. He went on a tear last year against some very good opponents. What other defensemen do you know that can shut down a teams best player, register almost 2 caused TO's a game, and also put up 75(!!!) Groundballs in a season for a NCAA runner up team... That is absurd.

Zapitello got the better of Connor Shellenberger in both of their matchups, including dominating him in the quarterfinal game. Not sure “quality of competition” is the knock on him.

Bowen also gets beat more often than the other top guys; Slusher took him to the rack often against Princeton for example. He’s a home run hitter, he’s the best athlete of any defenseman and makes more plays on the other end, he also gets beat more defensively.

Also not sure about “less of a supporting cast.” Maryland had the #1 defense last year…Georgetown was #2. Donaldson and Smith were the other poles and Geddes and Godine the shorties. Mazzone LSM. That’s multiple AAs. Maryland was maybe deeper but Georgetown wasn’t any less talented defensively.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Having watched Bowen from HS to now...he's a generational talent that has been a #1 guy since he stepped on a college field...
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Of course he’s great. No one’s ever said otherwise. I just think there’s like 3 guys better
stanley848

Post by stanley848 »

Looking forward to watching McNaney and Weirman this season.
Laxfanatic2022

Post by Laxfanatic2022 »

That’s a fair assessment. Was definitely surprised Bowen got the Schmiesser award over Adler from what you said. An interesting stat I saw on IL a while ago was Adler took that Cornell team that far while playing with 0 All Americans on D and Bowen played with about 5 and lost to Delaware in the first round. Both are incredible players but it definitely surprised me. I could see Adler and Bowen both being Tewaaraton Finalist in a year I don’t see 5 superstar offensive players. Wouldn’t be too crazy but could be the year of the defenseman. I also think Chris Fake of ND is primed for a bounce back year. A similar role to Arden Cohen last year
Laxfanatic2022

Post by Laxfanatic2022 »

That’s a fair assessment. Was definitely surprised Bowen got the Schmiesser award over Adler from what you said. An interesting stat I saw on IL a while ago was Adler took that Cornell team that far while playing with 0 All Americans on D and Bowen played with about 5 and lost to Delaware in the first round. Both are incredible players but it definitely surprised me. I could see Adler and Bowen both being Tewaaraton Finalist in a year I don’t see 5 superstar offensive players. Wouldn’t be too crazy but could be the year of the defenseman. I also think Chris Fake of ND is primed for a bounce back year. A similar role to Arden Cohen last year
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Adler is a great player and should be in the conversation for top defenseman this year...I just think his portfolio is incomplete compared to Bowen. Last year was the only one he played a full season....not his fault with COVID and the IVY...but Bowen has been a #1 since day 1...Adler has not.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

NNELax wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:26 am Adler is a great player and should be in the conversation for top defenseman this year...I just think his portfolio is incomplete compared to Bowen. Last year was the only one he played a full season....not his fault with COVID and the IVY...but Bowen has been a #1 since day 1...Adler has not.
Not sure your logic makes any sense at all. We're talking about the 2024 season, not 2020 or 2021.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

2024? Yeah I guess it doesn't...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”