GLVC 2019

D2 Mens Lacrosse
dodger29

Re: GLVC 2019

Post by dodger29 »

Yea, I wouldn't call UIndy young - 12 seniors and 4 red-shirt juniors led by a coach on his second "build a program from scratch to national prominence" in Greg Stocks. You can look at Montevallo as a blip, but Montevallo has good players that in a year or so people are going to say "Where did they come from?" The answer is Alabama! Montevallo's Thomas Vaesen (from British Columbia naturally) put up 5g and 1a against both UIndy and Rockhurst as a Sophomore. He is starting to get the supporting cast around him to be really dangerous.

That being said, UIndy has put together a good consistent season. I said that they were a little inconsistent in past seasons and that was true, but this senior class seems to be on a mission and they are a gritty bunch.

Rockhurst has a tough couple of games left in their regular season with Lindenwood and then UIndy. Both, will be fast, physical games. If the refs let them play (midwest refs are soft and call a bunch of ticky tacky crap that would get them thrown out of places like Maryland or Long Island) it will be fun to watch those games.

And don't sleep on the GLVC championship weekend either, fireworks have potential to fly then as well. I know Red's KRACH doesn't rate the GLVC very highly but UIndy and Rockhurst are for real and Young Harris and Maryville are hungry. When Lindenwood gets added to the mix in full next season, that will be a nasty conference (Like Big East basketball in the mid 80's - look it up young bucks).
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

dodger29 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:03 pm stuff omitted...

... I know Red's KRACH doesn't rate the GLVC very highly but UIndy and Rockhurst are for real and Young Harris and Maryville are hungry. When Lindenwood gets added to the mix in full next season, that will be a nasty conference (Like Big East basketball in the mid 80's - look it up young bucks).
Actually it is in the middle of the pack - not far from the SAC and CC and indistinguishable from the ECC. The only thing keeping it from being a top conference (like the other three I mentioned) is often who is near/at the bottom...UAH, Maryville and Shorter all well below .500 RRWP (Round Robin Winning Percentage) which is the best measure of what teams have earned thus far in the season.

That is what makes the GMAC and CACC near the bottom - they have a _lot_ of fairly new programs, and have not yet enough maturity to consistently win against teams from more established conferences...
dodger29

Post by dodger29 »

The GLVC has been an entertaining conference to watch and the fireworks continue this weekend. Everyone should be talking about #7 Indianapolis hosting #13 Rockhurst, Friday 3pm EST. The game will be available online https://glvcsn.com/uindy/ so login and watch them for yourself.

UIndy and Rockhurst have met twice in the past. In February 2017 Rockhurst went to UIndy and grabbed a 6-5 victory from the #15 preseason ranked Greyhounds. Last year the teams moved the game to April and Rockhurst secured a 12-8 home victory. Both teams have done a fantastic job recruiting and have been steadily improving. This UIndy 2015 recruiting class (12 SRs 4 RS-JRrs) seems to be on a mission. But, the Hawks’ 2015 recruiting class (9 SRs) has paved the way for Rockhurst’s success as well. If you look at the two teams’ results against common opponents you will see that Rockhurst has had the advantage on goals scored, but the Greyhounds have had about a 1 goal advantage on the goals allowed. Face-off advantage goes to Rockhurst while goaltending provides a slight advantage to UIndy. The game’s winner will win the regular season GLVC title (both enter 5-0 in conf play) and the right to host the GLVC tournament.

Who will UIndy or Rockhurst host is a mystery as well, as Maryville, Young Harris and Montevallo could end the season in a three-way tie for the final two spots in the GLVC tournament. Maryville (3-3 GLVC) has completed their conference schedule and will play 2020 GLVC entering member Lindenwood. Montevallo (2-3 GLVC) travels to Shorter while Young Harris (2-3 GLVC) hosts Alabama-Huntsville.

The first Regional NCAA rankings will be released later today and this conference over the course of the next 2 weeks of play could shape what the NCAA tournament looks like in D2. One GLVC team looks like a lock to get an NCAA bid, but could 2 teams get bids?
HoundsDad

Post by HoundsDad »

Great write up, It will be an exciting game in Indy and great for the GLVC.
JimBeam

Post by JimBeam »

Interesting end to the GLVC regular season. I would have given massive odds on a Young Harris win, to create a 3 way tie, for 2 seats at the Conference Championship table. But, with the UAH / YHC upset... It's Maryville 3-3 and Montevallo 3-3. My guess would be the head to head makes Maryville #3 and Montevallo #4. But, that's just my guess.

*** Edited due to a stupid mistake ***
Last edited by JimBeam on Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
dodger29

Post by dodger29 »

GLVC tournament is set:
1. UIndy
2. Rockhurst
3. Maryville
4. Montevallo

All games are played in Indiannapolis

https://glvcsports.com/news/2019/4/20/c ... path=champ
JimBeam

Post by JimBeam »

dodger29

Post by dodger29 »

Some changes for the GLVC men’s lacrosse conference. Lander University (Greenwood SC) announced as a new associate member of the GLVC conference. Lander competes in the Peach Belt in other sports according to the GLVC announcement.

https://glvcsports.com/news/2019/5/17/g ... rosse.aspx

The announcement also make mention that Shorter will resign its associate member status in lacrosse.

The GLVC announcement also failed to confirm Quincy as joining the GLVC for next year (2020 season), which it does for Lewis and Lindenwood. However, Lander’s announcement indicates that they will be joining a 10-member league that includes Quincy.

http://www.landerbearcats.com/sports/ml ... 0517hvjcdq

So, the new GLVC will/may look like this:
Full GLVC member:
  • U. Indianapolis
    Lewis
    Lindenwood
    Maryville
    Rockhurst
    Quincy (?? – announcement still on Quincy’s athletics site)
Associate GLVC – Gulf South Full members:
  • U. Alabama-Huntsville
    U. Montevallo
Associate GLVC – Peach Belt full members:
  • Lander
    Young Harris
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

Great to see the Conference expanding and getting into the post season. With 10 members, counting Quincy and dropping Shorter. Is there any word on the " Southern 4 " becoming the a larger group ? The travel has to be taxing on all the resources, not to mention the players. Sad to see a program like Shorter in their current state. Does anyone have a read on what is happening, I heard a rumor that the school was having problems, but nothing official.
Congrats to the entire Conference, and keep up the good work !
Your preparations of today, will determine the achievements of tomorrow.
LaxManiax

Post by LaxManiax »

Shorter is in a really tight spot. They cant find coaches to save their life. Former players are turning it down due to the struggles within the school. They put tons on money into wrestling and then cut the program.

You have to think with all the new programs joining the GLVC that those southern programs are looking to leave. I would imagine the Gulf South is asking schools to add. Schools like Union, CBU, West Florida, Valdosta, Lee, can all support a men's program. I would venture to bet the GSC adds men's lax within the next 3 years.
johnnyhopkins

Post by johnnyhopkins »

McLax wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:30 pm
dodger29 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:22 pm UAH has had a disappointing season, after posting a winning season in 2018 they have not been able to get anything going this year. Between injury and academics, they lost starters on both ends of the field and do not have the depth to consistently put up goals or get stops.

Coach McGowan is great guy and the players love him but he did not have the recruiting edge that say Stocks did. UAH is a great school that feeds NASA and Army for engineers so hopefully the recruiting classes keep the program on an upward curve.

This weekends 2 game Mossuri roadie was not kind to the Chargers either but they did seem to give Maryville some trouble today. They come back home for 3 games that are winnable and finish at YHC.

There’s always next season...
I'm familiar with the program and the players, the transfer rate out of UAH because of McGowan is high, players quitting the team but staying at UAH to finish their degrees is high, and those players that stay on the team don't 'love him' most can't stand him. He is extremely out of touch, never on campus, players complain of never being able to get ahold of him when he isn't on campus. He is out of touch, the administration just doesn't want to go through any changes of coaches so as long as he has a pulse, he will have a job.

I'm sure some people like him, but I saw this and had to say something, it isn't a secret to anyone down at UAH.

You were right, UAH is a great school, but until UAH finds a good coach their program will remain mediocre at best.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

I guess this answers our question about GLVC rules requiring Bellarmine to compete in the conference
https://athletics.bellarmine.edu/news/2 ... -2020.aspx
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”