Bourbon

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Bourbon

Post by youthathletics »

Scam uncovered out of Virginia ABC: https://www.virginiamercury.com/2022/07 ... 2HjdLjQal4
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:38 am Scam uncovered out of Virginia ABC: https://www.virginiamercury.com/2022/07 ... 2HjdLjQal4
It's a shame this happens. Bourbon was the impetus for the United States first consumer "purity" law. It was the "Bottled in Bond Act", which meant your Bourbon spent four years in a bonded warehouse and was 100 Proof, same as it is today. Lots of rot gut whiskey (or whatever) floated down the Mississippi to New Orleans before the BiB Act was passed.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:54 am man down.... :lol:

:lol: I JUST bought my brother a Boos Block as one of his wedding gifts.

What the F are the odds on that??

Oh, and cheers! Hope you enjoyed it!

Hey just pimped your company after practice to the parents of my (and my sons) lacrosse team. After practice I shared the 04 Cuse-Navy championship game for them to watch with their kids as a example of high quality, intense and fast paced lacrosse and told them any Syracuse games they find on YouTube are likely to have been posted by this dude who has some really good booze and shared the site.

Hope they bite, not that you need it.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:02 pm

Hey just pimped your company after practice to the parents of my (and my sons) lacrosse team. After practice I shared the 04 Cuse-Navy championship game for them to watch with their kids as a example of high quality, intense and fast paced lacrosse and told them any Syracuse games they find on YouTube are likely to have been posted by this dude who has some really good booze and shared the site.

I'm seeing those videos show up all over the lacrosse world as highlights and things like the Powell Bros. using them as clips to showcase the best to have played the game.

I'm very happy I took the time to load those suckers up to preserve a bit of the history of our sport!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:39 pm

I'm seeing those videos show up all over the lacrosse world as highlights and things like the Powell Bros. using them as clips to showcase the best to have played the game.

I'm very happy I took the time to load those suckers up to preserve a bit of the history of our sport!
I may have missed you telling us the backstory.....did you record all those games yourself, or come across them from another source?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:44 pm

I may have missed you telling us the backstory.....did you record all those games yourself, or come across them from another source?
I called Syracuse Time Warner (the Cable Station that used to broadcast Cuse games) directly to get everything they had. That's all they have that survived from when they started broadcasting all home games in 1984 (I think) up until 2000. Literally every game that's in their catalog. So there's a ton of games lost to management changes, etc. I had them on DVD orginally, and they made the rounds to former players because....to my surprise....none of them recorded their own games.

As I've told Hop fans----surely Hopkins is the largest repository of old games. SOMEONE needs to get those games to YouTube before they're just gone. Some of the games I loaded have 10s of thousands of views. So SOMEONE is interested in these old games.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I gave the the whole game. Was really a tremendous one for intensity, ball movement and other elements.

#caseywasbetterthanmike
DMac

Post by DMac »

As noted a hundred times, me too! Have very much enjoyed them over the years and am greatly appreciative of the time and effort you put in for all to enjoy. You've got a treasure chest of really good stuff.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:23 pm

As noted a hundred times, me too! Have very much enjoyed them over the years and am greatly appreciative of the time and effort you put in for all to enjoy. You've got a treasure chest of really good stuff.
The very best one of all being 1986 Syracuse-Hobart. Have watched that many times.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:17 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:23 pm

The very best one of all being 1986 Syracuse-Hobart. Have watched that many times.
Yeah...I'm STILL sorry that TimeWarner lost the 4th quarter on that one. But what a fun game, right?

Curry's behind the back shot was like "oh....that's why he made the World Team as a Junior". It was with his off hand.

Glad to hear you gents enjoy the games....sorta felt like I HAD to upload them.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Fun video to watch: Irish Whisky vs Bourbon:

Classic quote from video: "That's what I am talking about, when you are dinkin' a shot, you wanna have something that will make ya have noised only a dolphin can hear" :lol:

~Livy
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

That video was fun. This Virginia native loved that bourbon came out (slightly) in top! :lol:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

All right afan....give us the lowdown on this recipe. I read in the comments people put the wood in the freezer at night, then set it out during the day to fake out the aging process:

~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Afan - Have you considered growing mushrooms? https://www.lex18.com/news/what-in-the- ... WkPtYvYMF4
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Goodness. Commentator...190k is a down-payment on a house :lol: Shee-it, I wish it was that inexpensive. :lol:

~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:26 am Afan - Have you considered growing mushrooms? https://www.lex18.com/news/what-in-the- ... WkPtYvYMF4
Sorry, just saw this. Yes, about 20 years ago. Was part of a working group with the United Nations university, working peripherally with Paul Stamets the best known mycologist in the world.

What the piece leaves out is that spend mash from Bourbon and spent mash from 100% malt is entirely different. The mushrooms feed on the compounds in barley husks. There are no husks in rye or corn, so....it's not going work as well.

Picture bags holding spent barley husks, hung from a ceiling. You hit the bags with a paddle coverered with sharp nails. You then inoculate the room with spores.

The mushrooms then grow and are suspended with the bags as they consume the spent barley husks.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:51 pm Goodness. Commentator...190k is a down-payment on a house :lol: Shee-it, I wish it was that inexpensive. :lol:

As all the world's wealth moves to 1%ers at light speed......they're searching for new hobbies, and good ROI's.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:32 pm All right afan....give us the lowdown on this recipe. I read in the comments people put the wood in the freezer at night, then set it out during the day to fake out the aging process:

All he's describing is what the TTB would call "imitation whiskey".

When people talk of aging, what they mean is that in whiskey distillation, it's a crude process that leaves organic acids and other compounds in the new make whiskey. These compounds react with oxygen over time to create esters (fruit notes).

You can't have this aging without something to react with oxygen (oxidize). And when you simply put vodka in that container? There's no organic acids present...they've all been stripped out in the vodka making process. And since you're not using a barrel, there's no exchange of gases----gasses out (what we call the Angel's share), and gasses in....the oxidation I just mentioned. So....this isn't "aging".

What he's describing is flavored vodka: Vodka flavored with brown sugar and oak chips. Blech!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:09 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:32 pm All right afan....give us the lowdown on this recipe. I read in the comments people put the wood in the freezer at night, then set it out during the day to fake out the aging process:

When people talk of aging, what they mean is that in whiskey distillation, it's a crude process that leaves organic acids and other compounds in the new make whiskey. These compounds react with oxygen over time to create esters (fruit notes).

You can't have this aging without something to react with oxygen (oxidize). And when you simply put vodka in that container? There's no organic acids present...they've all been stripped out in the vodka making process. And since you're not using a barrel, there's no exchange of gases----gasses out (what we call the Angel's share), and gasses in....the oxidation I just mentioned. So....this isn't "aging".

What he's describing is flavored vodka: Vodka flavored with brown sugar and oak chips. Blech!
In the age of “what some guy on the internet said”….. thanks for breaking that down….. you are credentialed with a track record. What you say carries weight, despite being on the internet. A known commodity here…… your Apple Whiskey is back in stock in MA…. I bought a case for a friend that loves it.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:03 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:09 pm

In the age of “what some guy on the internet said”….. thanks for breaking that down….. you are credentialed with a track record. What you say carries weight, despite being on the internet. A known commodity here…… your Apple Whiskey is back in stock in MA…. I bought a case for a friend that loves it.
I'm going to be in the Boston area in April for the marathon. My (step) father-in-law will be running. I haven't seen any Leopold Bros stuff in Ohio, but would be interested in picking some up when I'm in Massachusetts.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”