Programs Who Will Have Lacrosse-Only Stadiums In The Future?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Programs Who Will Have Lacrosse-Only Stadiums In The Future?

Post by gymman1031 »

Any predictions? Have any programs that don't have them yet been talking about them?
JPAtlantic

Re: Programs Who Will Have Lacrosse-Only Stadiums In The Future?

Post by JPAtlantic »

I have to think the Terps and Rutgers must be looking for one since Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State all have them now.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Terps should be “Old Bay” stadium
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

JPAtlantic wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:15 pm I have to think the Terps and Rutgers must be looking for one since Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State all have them now.
Tills actually talked about this at an event this past week. I wouldn't count on a lacrosse-only stadium any time soon. He said the only way it could work would be to have a dual soccer-lacrosse field. MD's soccer program needs grass. Tills prefers turf. He also said that a joint soccer-lacrosse facility would mean that his program couldn't use the field for 3 months (during soccer season), so what's the point. With the Gossett renovations, they're content to stay where they are.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:21 pm
JPAtlantic wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:15 pm I have to think the Terps and Rutgers must be looking for one since Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State all have them now.
Tills actually talked about this at an event this past week. I wouldn't count on a lacrosse-only stadium any time soon. He said the only way it could work would be to have a dual soccer-lacrosse field. MD's soccer program needs grass. Tills prefers turf. He also said that a joint soccer-lacrosse facility would mean that his program couldn't use the field for 3 months (during soccer season), so what's the point. With the Gossett renovations, they're content to stay where they are.
Thanks so much for the info, Wheels! And, not saying this is, or ever will be a factor. But due to Maryland having played in that stadium for so long, and since it is such a historic lacrosse venue, maybe leaving it would be breaking too much of a tradition.

Post by 1766 »

Rutgers. Soon.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

1766 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:37 pmRutgers. Soon.
To go along with the fantastic combo lacrosse and soccer facility they just built (Rodkin)….I’d put that new facility up with any other lacrosse locker room / training facilities in the country…not saying it’s the best but it is as good as most. Great addition and selling point at RU.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:21 pm
To go along with the fantastic combo lacrosse and soccer facility they just built (Rodkin)….I’d put that new facility up with any other lacrosse locker room / training facilities in the country…not saying it’s the best but it is as good as most. Great addition and selling point at RU.
Wow! Due to Rutgers' Final Four appearance last year and the above, I don't think it would be a mistake to add Rutgers to the "next programs to win the national title for the first time" discussions.

Post by 1766 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:21 pm
I personally haven't seen one better for lacrosse. That's been reiterated by the transfers that have brought in. The best? I can't say for certain but I'd be surprised if there were any better. Once the stadium is built, lacrosse will have all it needs for the foreseeable future. SHI isn't bad until that happens. The program's record there over the last 8 years is quite strong.
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

Saw pics of the proposed Ohio State stadium. Thats raising the bar!!! https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/board-of- ... e-stadium/
socalref

Post by socalref »

Not quite at the same level, but St John’s is moving to make Belson Stadium the primary lacrosse field going forward. Very nice change. It will be shared with soccer, but there isn’t much they can do on campus. There does seem to be renewed energy and support along with the new coach.

https://redstormsports.com/news/2022/12 ... 0ISN2YXCZw
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:58 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:21 pm
Thanks so much for the info, Wheels! And, not saying this is, or ever will be a factor. But due to Maryland having played in that stadium for so long, and since it is such a historic lacrosse venue, maybe leaving it would be breaking too much of a tradition.
The current lacrosse facility is also right in the stadium, so why would they leave it? unless a whole lacrosse-onlly facility is built.

Natural turf does not hold up to lacrosse - even if you limit it to only games, it still turns into a mess. Look at those southern teams' natural fields every year.

MD could expand the womens lacrosse/field hockey complex to include mens lacrosse if they wanted to.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”