Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
another fan

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by another fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:17 pm Doth declare the king of Hopkins chat boards.
But he is right, at least with regard to comments about Milliman's tenure at Cornell. Kerwick was 6-7 and 5-8 in 2016 and 2017, his last years at Cornell. The team was in a terrible downward spiral as a result of Kerwick's self destruction, not Milliman's undermining him. Milliman was interim hc in 2018 and permanent in 2019 and 2020. He was 13-5 in 2018, 10-5 in 2019, and 5-0 and ranked #2 in the media poll in 2020 before the season was cancelled-- certainly seems like a pretty good job of turning around a great program that had been run into the ground.

Having said all this, things have worked out great in Ithaca with our current coaching staff led by Buczek and Stevens. I only hope we can hold on to them both.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

another fan wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:32 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:17 pm Doth declare the king of Hopkins chat boards.
But he is right, at least with regard to comments about Milliman's tenure at Cornell. Kerwick was 6-7 and 5-8 in 2016 and 2017, his last years at Cornell. The team was in a terrible downward spiral as a result of Kerwick's self destruction, not Milliman's undermining him. Milliman was interim hc in 2018 and permanent in 2019 and 2020. He was 13-5 in 2018, 10-5 in 2019, and 5-0 and ranked #2 in the media poll in 2020 before the season was cancelled-- certainly seems like a pretty good job of turning around a great program that had been run into the ground.

Having said all this, things have worked out great in Ithaca with our current coaching staff led by Buczek and Stevens. I only hope we can hold on to them both.
Milliman was a coordinator under Kerwick right? And 2019 was surely a let down based on everything I witnessed and observed from your fellow Cornell fans given having Teat and others. Ans Buzeck has obviously elevated the team.

It was a gamble for Hop to make the hire and we don’t know what the payoff will be yet. There’s nothing to support the idea it was some sort of slam dunk. To me he looks like a good D coach, average recruiter, mediocre on team management and personnel and TBD on general program management. No idea on offensive acumen. A lot of that can be learned on the job but you need an open mind and a certain amount of flexibility to do so and that’s where it’s pretty foggy as to outlook.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
another fan

Post by another fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:46 pm

Milliman was a coordinator under Kerwick right? And 2019 was surely a let down based on everything I witnessed and observed from your fellow Cornell fans given having Teat and others. Ans Buzeck has obviously elevated the team.

It was a gamble for Hop to make the hire and we don’t know what the payoff will be yet. There’s nothing to support the idea it was some sort of slam dunk. To me he looks like a good D coach, average recruiter, mediocre on team management and personnel and TBD on general program management. No idea on offensive acumen. A lot of that can be learned on the job but you need an open mind and a certain amount of flexibility to do so and that’s where it’s pretty foggy as to outlook.
Yes, he was a coordinator, and because he was not undermining Kerwick, and given the nature of one of the major issues, he was limited in what he could do. He was a pretty good offensive mind, and well above average recruiter, largely through tireless effort. I am surprised by comments that he largely delegates at Hopkins and often works less than a full day. I have no way to comment on the accuracy of that. I'd say his interpersonal skills were not his greatest strength, but seemed to be improving while at Cornell.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Lmao, if you want to criticize the job Milliman has done I feel like you can just do that, not come up with some theorizing that because one coach at a totally different school 10 years ago was undermining the head coach it’s possible Milliman was undermining another coach at Cornell. What the heck does that have to do with anything
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Milliman is not a great "in game adjustments" coach nor a noted offensive thinker, imo, although you don't need to be either to succeed in Division I so I agree with those who feel the jury is still out on him at JHU. Certainly Cornell did play a lot better under PM than his immediate predecessor.

The "shutting off Jeff Teat" thing was real down the stretch in 2018. In 4 out of Cornell's last 5 games (regular season vs. Princeton, Ivy semi's vs. Brown, NCAA opening round vs. Syracuse, NCAA second round vs Maryland) teams employed the "shut off Teat" strategy and held Cornell well under their scoring average although Cornell won 3 out of 4 of the games (vs. Princeton, Brown, Syracuse). They ran out of luck against Maryland in a game in which Teat was held to only one shot. It was really memorable because Cornell seemingly just acceded to the shut off -- they had Teat hang out at the 50 yard line and played 5 v. 5 a lot of the time. I guess they felt like it was working -- they won their NCAA opener that way -- but when 5 v. 5 without Teat wasn't working vs. Maryland (4th game in 5 Teat was shut off) it raised a lot of eyebrows as the Big Red got offensively stifled with their All-American essentially sidelined while on the field.

In 2019, it was hard to assess Cornell's season but it felt like they were the team with the best argument they were overlooked for an NCAA invitation -- maybe they had more losses than expected but 4 out of their 5 losses were to three final four quality teams (Penn State, Yale -- twice, Penn). 2020 was off to an excellent start before COVID.

I think he's a good recruiter and still expect some good Canadians will find their way to Homewood if PM gets some additional run. But when you take one of those "legendary programs with high expectation" jobs you do take a risk that if there isn't quick success the runway is relatively short.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

another fan wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:56 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:46 pm

Yes, he was a coordinator, and because he was not undermining Kerwick, and given the nature of one of the major issues, he was limited in what he could do. He was a pretty good offensive mind, and well above average recruiter, largely through tireless effort. I am surprised by comments that he largely delegates at Hopkins and often works less than a full day. I have no way to comment on the accuracy of that. I'd say his interpersonal skills were not his greatest strength, but seemed to be improving while at Cornell.
Without trying to be argumentative, having been on the coaching side before, it sounds like a couple rumors got crossed on this one.

You generally can't be an "above-average" recruiter with mediocre interpersonal skills. You are only as goods as your interpersonal skills or the product you're selling. So that means one of those rumors isn't true-

PM is either MORE personal and likeable than he gets credit for, OR he wasn't as great of a recruiter as people say- i.e.- he was shooting fish in a barrel at Cornell, and got more credit for landing kids than he really played a part.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:07 am
PM is either MORE personal and likeable than he gets credit for, OR he wasn't as great of a recruiter as people say- i.e.- he was shooting fish in a barrel at Cornell, and got more credit for landing kids than he really played a part.
A lack of interpersonal skills is a killer for a coach. It just hurts you all the way around.
Maybe PM fades into the background and let's Crawley do the recruiting and hands-on coaching?
PM stopped writing weekly updates a while back, which is probably symptomatic of other problems.
If I were him I'd probably be looking for an exit strategy before his contract expires. Fading into the background and allowing the team to improve is, I think, the best option for him at this point.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

brainworms
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:31 am
A lack of interpersonal skills is a killer for a coach. It just hurts you all the way around.
Maybe PM fades into the background and let's Crawley do the recruiting and hands-on coaching?
PM stopped writing weekly updates a while back, which is probably symptomatic of other problems.
If I were him I'd probably be looking for an exit strategy before his contract expires. Fading into the background and allowing the team to improve is, I think, the best option for him at this point.
Absolutely.

In today's game, you have to be able to explain "why" to players, recruits, parents, alumni and administrators. If you can't do it succinctly, you're time is limited.
BIGDAWG

Post by BIGDAWG »

Hearing rumors of a move to D3 if no championship by 2025. Anyone have any definitive answers to this?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:29 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:31 am
Absolutely.

In today's game, you have to be able to explain "why" to players, recruits, parents, alumni and administrators. If you can't do it succinctly, you're time is limited.
There was an entire forum thread devoted to the last coach's sideline demeanor/behavior/interpersonal skills during games and all he did was routinely bring in top 5 and often top 3 classes in the nation. They were never going to be able to hire a coach that had the relationship w/the program, its history, its alumni, and many of you that Petro did. By hiring PM, a coach w/no history at the school the worldview of him is completely about what the program does on the field, here and now. For the last decade+ of the Petro era every failure, every loss, every busted recruit it was always "well but he won in 05/07 and he was a storied player at Homewood" w/PM for most of us-it's about today and tomorrow and that gets overlooked.

I find the d3 talk from enemy commenters hilarious considering how bad the big ten programs have been in football this year, how uncertain the future of the acc is given what the sec/big ten media rights deals look like, and how half the ivies have fallen into Vanderbilt land in the us news rankings.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

BIGDAWG wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:14 am Hearing rumors of a move to D3 if no championship by 2025. Anyone have any definitive answers to this?

Not a rumor at all but you do have the timing wrong. They are moving to D3 in Feb 2023
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

anyone gonna bite on this?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:01 pm anyone gonna bite on this?
you'd like that wouldn't you
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

molo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:51 pm The assertion that Hopkins has a significant attrition rate pops up here from time to time, but from what I have read, the six year graduation rate is over 90% as one would expect of a highly selective institution. I’m sure the academic demands are tough and the workload challenging, but most virtually everyone who gets in graduates, as well they should.
Actually, 95%, which is only slightly lower than (grade-inflated) Yale, which is 97%. (just took Y at random)
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Big Dog wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:17 pm
molo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:51 pm The assertion that Hopkins has a significant attrition rate pops up here from time to time, but from what I have read, the six year graduation rate is over 90% as one would expect of a highly selective institution. I’m sure the academic demands are tough and the workload challenging, but most virtually everyone who gets in graduates, as well they should.
Actually, 95%, which is only slightly lower than (grade-inflated) Yale, which is 97%. (just took Y at random)
the last time I checked it was like 88 percent and that was when grades were covered freshman year first semester.
molo

Post by molo »

I think the 88% might be the four year rate. NCAA uses the six year rate, but both are high. When institutions are extremely selective, one would expect that anyone admitted should be able to graduate. I would hold that while Hopkins is quite demanding and, as far as I know, doesn’t have “gut” majors, the attrition rate is not abnormally high. I wish the school where I got my undergrad degree didn’t report first semester grades, or actually grades for the first three years, or maybe grade s obtained when single.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2022/9/2 ... avian.aspx

football might be good. 124-0 combined score over the last 2 weeks.
DocBarrister

Johns Hopkins Saved the World Today

Post by DocBarrister »

Or, at least Johns Hopkins rehearsed saving the world today.

The DART mission is being developed and led for NASA by the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory. NASA's Planetary Defense Coordination Office is the lead for planetary defense activities and is sponsoring the DART mission.

https://dart.jhuapl.edu/Mission/index.php

"It was just joy."

That was how Ed Reynolds, the DART Project manager at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, described the mood inside the mission command center just minutes before the Double Asteroid Redirection Test mission, or DART, was set to hit the asteroid Dimorphos.

The team approached the last 2 minutes — a period of time when they could no longer send commands to the spacecraft — as a special time, he said at a news conference following the mission on Monday.

“You got to enjoy the moment," Reynolds said, describing that the team had practiced "all types of geometries and scenarios" in preparation for the mission.

Elena Adams, the DART mission systems engineer at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, said she was relieved it was over.

After more than 1,000 people working on DART for more than seven years, she said it is "absolutely wonderful to do something this amazing and we are so excited to be done."

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/us/live-news/da ... index.html

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

can DART play goalie?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”