ODAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Nothinbutthelax

Re: ODAC

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

NOKE put up a good fight. Davies 11 saves in 1st Q. was fun to watch. Finished with 16, 3 GBs and a CT. Shame that his senior year has a rebuilding D. Helter Skelter and wide open game at times with goals by poles and SSDMs. Sarro is a special player. High lax IQ, head always up.

4 Freshman have emerged for LYN.
#52 SSDM has looked good all season and shined last night with 2 goals and a GB.
#42 LSM has been #2 option had 2 GBs.
#51 M has earned spot on 2nd line that has started to produce. Strong quick lefty had 1G and 1A.
#7 A blanked last night on 3 shots and a Davie point blank stone..

LYN went 0-3 on man up. Penalties with 2:22 and .17 seconds in 4th never saw shots.

2 dive goals by LYN called back. Lombardo’s was the right call because he dove toward goalie.. Colin Deans looked good. Didn’t endanger goalie.. maybe foot in crease line. I like the dive back.

LYN next game is next Saturday 4/13 vs. VA Wes. A nice event prepared for this one to celebrate 40th anniversary of Lacrosse @ LYN. They then travel to RandyMac Wednesday.
The bugs won’t take these games for granted but I suspect coaches are looking at W&L this morning with that trip over the mountain loom in 2 weeks.
That game will be like a coaching chess match. Can LYN win 45% FO.s?, Will McCabe pole the LYN middies? Will LYN deny AJ or just slide early? That game looks to be a precursor to ODAC finals.. both will want to host so it’ll be a barn burner!
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

RMC has legitimate chances against HSC and Roanoke and could be 3rd or 4th seed in ODAC tournament. Today’s game should tell us a lot. Currently 3-1 in conference with games against HSC, Randolph, Shenandoah, Lynchburg, Roanoke, and Virginia Wesleyan.
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

I overestimated RMC and underestimated HSC. Looks like the top 4 will remain the top 4 this year.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Scarlet wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:37 pm I overestimated RMC and underestimated HSC. Looks like the top 4 will remain the top 4 this year.
The two man up goals have been key, hsc has one ☝️ f the better emo’s around. Other than that it may have been a game
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Tigers were rolling heading into halftime but a late penalty allowed Macon to run out the clock and start with possession in the third which allowed them to gain momentum even though they didn't score on the man up. Medwar (7g, 1a) and Burke (7a) went nuts today.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Some lax between but the showdown between Lynchburg and W&L on 4/20 should provide home field advantage to the winner. Thinking W&L face guards Lombardo initially and will show early on the slide, if you go take the body. Also anticipate placing an extra pole up top like Stevenson, it definitely affected the hornets thru 3 qtrs..I’d place a short stick on Logan Adams. W&l should shorten the bench, love to see Hamil on the field all day. As good as Londrey is Hamil with a 65% fogo would not get stuck on D frequently and I think could push transition right off the face off, unorthodox but would even consider another offensive mid instead of a pole to pressure off the face off and perhaps steal a goal or two. AJ will be both face guarded and slid to early. If they do he needs to take the ball off every restart, run him out of the box,scrape him off picks and or run a circle O with him up top. W&L definitely has an advantage at the dot, DON’T negate that advantage by dumb turnovers, fundamentals matter. Lynchburg despite being weak at the dot has done a truly outstanding job in manufacturing possessions ( clear, ride, win gb’s and not inflicting harm upon themselves making exchanges that are nit fundamentally sound) be deliberate. W&L also has a better goalie not just in making the stop but with outlets that can start transition. Lynchburg is athletic and runs the weave effectively their offense starts up top . Should be a great game, coaching will matter
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Agree completely DeHunt. Can't wait to see this one in person. Hoping spring is in the air down there.
Dehuntshigwa’es

ctbagataway wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:27 am Agree completely DeHunt. Can't wait to see this one in person. Hoping spring is in the air down there.
Is home field that much of an advantage? I don’t think so, what is an advantage is getting the 1 seed and not playing the 3 spot. There’s a team I’d much rather play than the one due south of Lex. Thought about just rolling the ball out and playing Lynchburg straight up not showing your hand but think the #1 seed is a big enough advantage that you want to use everything in terms of scheme to win the first round . Whatever the outcome assuming both are ODAC finalists that will be a steel cage death match as the loser of that contest will be packing their bags, there will be no pool C from the ODAC this year . Shame both are good teams
Dehuntshigwa’es

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:40 am
ctbagataway wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:27 am Agree completely DeHunt. Can't wait to see this one in person. Hoping spring is in the air down there.
Is home field that much of an advantage? I don’t think so, what is an advantage is getting the 1 seed and not playing the 3 spot. There’s a team I’d much rather play than the one due south of Lex. Thought about just rolling the ball out and playing Lynchburg straight up not showing your hand but think the #1 seed is a big enough advantage that you want to use everything in terms of scheme to win the first round . Whatever the outcome assuming both are ODAC finalists that will be a steel cage death match as the loser of that contest will be packing their bags, there will be no pool C from the ODAC this year . Shame both are good teams. Lastly shorten the bench,
Nothinbutthelax

LYN at W&L will be a barn burner!

Not sure A.J. will get face guarded, maybe sporadically? LYN team D is stout and changing things up might hurt?
Thinking goalie play is even. LYN goalie has 54% save avg. and will take it himself if W&L throw in 10 man. He’s solid on clears and outlet passes.
LSM favors LYN with Shamus starting a few breaks resulting in goals.

Coach K has been starting Freshman Kyle Lewis and Jr. Trammell Robinson at Attack. They play very well together then he platoons in Andrew Thomas and Logan Adams (who played great vs. NOKE). SSDM on Adam’s, the distributor, may be smart. He can’t seem to turn corner to score.. Robinson and Lewis can turn corner though...
Lombardo not a great dodger either but in his spot he can get under the pole and dive for goals.

I’ll bet LYN doing a ton of practice with poles up top defending those dangerous middies.. will be interested to see if coach K mixes up that weave?

Advantage at the dot definitely favors W&L. LYN guys are at 51%. LYN can only hope to keep it to at 50%.

I expect a tight, fast game won by just a few good/bad breaks and a few TO’s. Fairly clean with few penalties.

LYN 14-12. The bugs have had good luck up in Lex.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

It should be a battle. I don't give LYN any advantage at LSM, the 2 W&L guys have been very solid and have shown they can handle, lead breaks and score. I definitely give W&L an advantage at SSDM.

Seems like the key for both teams will be can their creating attackman get free.
Nothinbutthelax

Seamus was 1st team All ODAC LSM last year and has only improved. The 2nd LSM is a talented Frosh and possibly suspect..
1st team SSDM Sr. Nick Willertz now runs 1st line O mid. A nice 2 way middie option. Starter Rivington Lambert, Sr., has been on sidelines last 2 games. Not sure if he will be back. If so I’d call SSDM even..
On down the line it’s pretty good March ups
Agree it’s attack units and who finishes off opportunities off unsettled.
Both teams are only a couple goals from wins against highly ranked opponents.. both teams are dangerous but like Dehunt points out at large bid may not be coming to ODAC. I feel the winner of this one, even if they then lose in ODAC finals does get in... SOS and $ for travel will come into committee consideration..
Dehuntshigwa’es

At the end of the day, it is two evenly matched teams. Coaching will be at a premium. One last thought, W&L has #21 Lynchburg does not.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

I personally love his game, and I know Witherell has had the kitchen sink thrown at him this year, but at some point to keep the “difference maker” moniker, he’s actually going to have to start making a difference. If he’s drawing so much attention, there should be greater opportunities for him to distribute the ball to an open man.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Unless an injury happens, looks like John Burke is going to break the H-SC single-season assist record (44) set by Hunter Brown two years ago. He currently has 38 with four regular games to go - at Roanoke, at Bridgewater, Ferrum, at Lynchburg - plus assuming a minimum of one ODAC Tournament game.

At 60 points, also has a strong chance to break 70 points, would be only the 5th player at H-SC to do it and only the 6th time it's been done - Ian Levin did it twice.
Fielder

Post by Fielder »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:18 pm At the end of the day, it is two evenly matched teams. Coaching will be at a premium. One last thought, W&L has #21 Lynchburg does not.
But there is #28
Dehuntshigwa’es

Fielder wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:06 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:18 pm At the end of the day, it is two evenly matched teams. Coaching will be at a premium. One last thought, W&L has #21 Lynchburg does not.
But there is #28
Outstanding player, no doubt. The Generals had a case of the “ goal tender flu” the last two years. 2 years ago against HSC in the ODAC the had a whopping 10% save rate stopping 2 shots out of 21😮. Almost impossible to do.Last year Santora ( sp) made to his credit 19 saves about 70 % I think. My hope is they’ve developed some immunity by now and don’t get this affliction again
Big Easy Lax

Post by Big Easy Lax »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:40 am
Is home field that much of an advantage? I don’t think so, what is an advantage is getting the 1 seed and not playing the 3 spot. There’s a team I’d much rather play than the one due south of Lex. Thought about just rolling the ball out and playing Lynchburg straight up not showing your hand but think the #1 seed is a big enough advantage that you want to use everything in terms of scheme to win the first round . Whatever the outcome assuming both are ODAC finalists that will be a steel cage death match as the loser of that contest will be packing their bags, there will be no pool C from the ODAC this year . Shame both are good teams

Well now, it was truly a Tiger weekend! Coach Rostan's Baby Bengals go over to Noke and grab a well earned victory. Really good win for a very young team! A lot of unhappy people wearing Maroon in the Star City on Saturday :D Total shame that Sarro's season looks to have ended with that injury, wish the best for him.

This was the most consistent game HSC has played from start to finish this year no matter the competition. Really shortened up the roster Saturday and it looks like the rotations are now settling in. They look like they are having fun and enjoy playing with each other. With a very solid attack group, 2 good lines of O mids that give lots of flexibility to the coaches, a young but very athletic group of D Mids and a group of poles that are getting better every week, the future looks really bright in Farmville. Add in a very experienced goalie playing his best lax of the season (20 saves, some of which were amazing vs Noke), throw in a FOGO playing at a very high level, sprinkle in some solid Senior leadership and HSC looks to be peaking at the right time. Still lots for this group to do and many things for the youngsters to improve on (like cutting down on unforced turnovers) but this group is really coming together as a team. Hopefully they can continue to grow and build on their recent success while focusing on getting better and more consistent every day.
Last edited by Big Easy Lax on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dehuntshigwa’es

HSC with a very nice win over Roanoke. HSC goalie played lights out. Any word on the Sarro injury
Big Easy Lax

Post by Big Easy Lax »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:14 pm HSC with a very nice win over Roanoke. HSC goalie played lights out. Any word on the Sarro injury
Word is Achilles, out for season.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”