Dartmouth Men's Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Dartmouth Men's Lacrosse

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:31 pm Not a Dartmouth grad here (Ivy yes), hopefully not considered a troll. I'd say that all Ivies have good things to offer, but all are different. I agree with something MDlaxfan76 has said on various occasions: that Dartmouth recruiters should be emphasizing Dartmouth's unique strengths and assets. Just wondering, is it pretty definite that The Big Green will have an indoor practice facility in the near future? If so, when? That should help, both for recruiting and for quality practices. Here's hoping for an injury-free game Saturday, and I can't claim that I'll be rooting for Dartmouth in this particular game.
no worries, FannOLax, you're always a good sportsman on these threads!
We understand that Yale is your rooting interest; good luck to both teams for a well-played, and injury-free game.

Yes, the building is on its way; begun last January; scheduled to be operational 1st Q 2020; doesn't sound like quite in time for next winter, but beyond, yes. Pushing for earlier.

http://www.thedartmouth.com/article/201 ... e-facility

http://www.thedartmouth.com/article/201 ... r-facility

https://campus-services.dartmouth.edu/p ... e-facility
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Yes! My apologies, please don't misconstrue my, apparently bad, attempt at an "April Fools" reference.... always injury free!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Laxing97 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:14 pm Md,
It is funny that you call it trolling when you talk about a coach that hasn’t been at a school in almost a year. Murphy’s staff has 2 first year coaches and 1-3 year coach but he still makes it work. He has lost a lot of coaches the last few years as they have taken head coaching positions.

As for Penn besides having easy access to mass transit, a international airport close by hotels everywhere, city life if interested, access to Maryland and Ny major sporting events and even a bubble. The urban campus is not for everyone especially in the winter with no indoor facility or a bubble. I can hear it now it is coming.

Parents do play a part in a players decision and easy access to games is big to parents.
Yes, saying negative things on a site where you are not actually fan is...trolling.

You and I agree, Philly is easier to get to for parents. If that's a big deal to a family, that's a plus. Not sure what the rest of your rambling may mean, as for instance I think you'll find more than adequate hotel accommodations at any of the Ivies including Hanover, plenty of excellent dining too. Fewer cheesesteaks served in Hanover if that's what you want, but its not as if you're gonna go hungry.

I'm a Murphy fan, not a detractor. He's got a good program, and endowed seat, well-funded overall, and sufficient support from Admissions. I know that my son's teams always had trouble with Penn and I think that had more to do with the coaching than anything else.

Reluctantly, I have not been a fan of fellow D alum Danehy. Looks like he's getting another chance at Bucknell. Hope it works out for all.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

RumorMill wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:01 pm Yes! My apologies, please don't misconstrue my, apparently bad, attempt at an "April Fools" reference.... always injury free!
:)
you and Elon Musk.

I think everyone got it, or would now!
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

So, traveling to New Haven this weekend. Predictions?

Will the Yale gate guards let me bring in a large white clam from Pepe's or do I have to enjoy it in the lot?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

I've never tried to bring in food, so not sure.... Pepe's is quite good, but over-rated (new owners in recent years, and be prepared for extremely long lines); Modern Apizza is very good; someone had a pizza oven set up outside of Reese before the Cornell game; even the little pizza place just up Route 34 (walking distance from Yale Bowl/Reese) is pretty decent.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Laxing97 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:14 pm Md,
It is funny that you call it trolling when you talk about a coach that hasn’t been at a school in almost a year. Murphy’s staff has 2 first year coaches and 1-3 year coach but he still makes it work. He has lost a lot of coaches the last few years as they have taken head coaching positions.

As for Penn besides having easy access to mass transit, a international airport close by hotels everywhere, city life if interested, access to Maryland and Ny major sporting events and even a bubble. The urban campus is not for everyone especially in the winter with no indoor facility or a bubble. I can hear it now it is coming.

Parents do play a part in a players decision and easy access to games is big to parents.
Penn fans have been complaining about underachieving Lax for a while now... let’s not forget, DU took UPENN to 2OT last year
...2019’s Seasons Fork in the Road for both programs;
- Dartmouth’s restrictive student transfer policy, served up Hostra’s transfer FOGO stud to UPENN...
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

I would bet that Dartmouth's restrictive transfer policy is one of the things that the Dartmouth faithful fully understand and are willing to lose some good players because of it. Non DC alums just won't get it, but my guess is DC alums will just nod at this policy and its consequences. I think????
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Voyuer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:06 am I would bet that Dartmouth's restrictive transfer policy is one of the things that the Dartmouth faithful fully understand and are willing to lose some good players because of it. Non DC alums just won't get it, but my guess is DC alums will just nod at this policy and its consequences. I think????
...errr - Voyuer, after next 7/24 or 2/22 FO losses vs League rivals, please remind current players, the value of DC’s transfer policy... :shock:
Dartjd76

Post by Dartjd76 »

Dart lax alum and long time Hanover resident - I agree that comparisons of DC men's lax to other programs both within and outside the IL have their flaws because each school, its facilities, weather, location, rules, etc. is unique. So I think the comparison to other Dartmouth men's and women's teams is more appropriate. Unfortunately, Dart men's lax comes up short there too.

Compare the program that Buddy T has put together with football to our lax. Okay, set football aside and look at soccer - stable program with fair to outstanding seasons consistently. Not a perennial cellar dweller losing regularly to newer programs outside the League. Sadly, Dart Lax is more akin to men's basketball at Dart - rarely on the radar in the IL or outside. Even baseball has its good moments and they are really limited by facilities. Bottom line, staying within the DC bubble for comparisons to successful programs, something is fundamentally wrong with the men's lax team.

MD, you follow the Dart players much more closely than I, are there any offensive players over the last 5-10 years who have improved markedly during their time in Hanover? I haven't seen it. Sure a goalie may get better with more exposure and defense too, but I have seen kids who were solid, sometimes near spectacular scoring machines in HS slowly degrade at DC, not improve. Yes I know college competition is tougher, but some of the more touted recruits have ended up on the bench or off the squad entirely. The frosh and sophs do not get "coached up" at DC. In fact, I see their skills erode.

Draw you own conclusions, note the Sowell success, and you will probably conclude that it comes down to coaching in the broadest sense - the HC, the staff, the admin support, etc. It's never been there at DC. Maybe someday.
Atticus

Post by Atticus »

Dartjd - your post is a head scratcher. You are a lax alum and you live in town, yet, before you come to your conclusion that the coaches are what is “fundamentally wrong” and don’t “coach up” their young players, you ask ANOTHER poster (who appears to live down in the Mid atlantic) his opinion about these purportedly uncoached players? Don’t you go to the games in support of your program? Are you involved with the program living so close? When you speak of scoring machines’ degrading skills over time, are you referring to the BC era?
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Well, apparently the lacrosse season has started without me. Like Rip Van Winkle, I have awoken from my long slumber, rusty and bearded. And, it appears not a whole heck of a lot has changed.

Should be able to see today's tilt in New Haven on ESPN+. I'm almost afraid to click on the stream, lest it get fugly fast. But I will have some faith and hope the Big Green will comport themselves nicely, and show improvement.

On a side note, found a stash of old photos. My sister took some great 35mm shots back in the day - many in black and white. This one particular one is after a game with Dud sitting on the bench with an attackman and a defenseman, and Dud's in the process of falling backwards off the bench after being nudged "gently but purposefully" off his perch. He's grabbing at straws as gravity grabs at him. Cripes...1982. Big smiles all around!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:30 pm Well, apparently the lacrosse season has started without me. Like Rip Van Winkle, I have awoken from my long slumber, rusty and bearded. And, it appears not a whole heck of a lot has changed.

Should be able to see today's tilt in New Haven on ESPN+. I'm almost afraid to click on the stream, lest it get fugly fast. But I will have some faith and hope the Big Green will comport themselves nicely, and show improvement.

On a side note, found a stash of old photos. My sister took some great 35mm shots back in the day - many in black and white. This one particular one is after a game with Dud sitting on the bench with an attackman and a defenseman, and Dud's in the process of falling backwards off the bench after being nudged "gently but purposefully" off his perch. He's grabbing at straws as gravity grabs at him. Cripes...1982. Big smiles all around!
Share!
CU77

Post by CU77 »

4-4 v Yale at the end of Q1!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Atticus wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:26 am Dartjd - your post is a head scratcher. You are a lax alum and you live in town, yet, before you come to your conclusion that the coaches are what is “fundamentally wrong” and don’t “coach up” their young players, you ask ANOTHER poster (who appears to live down in the Mid atlantic) his opinion about these purportedly uncoached players? Don’t you go to the games in support of your program? Are you involved with the program living so close? When you speak of scoring machines’ degrading skills over time, are you referring to the BC era?
I had much the same reaction, especially given the decade time frame.

Two different coaching regimes, very different coaches at the helm different corps of assistants.

But sure, we haven't seen too many breakout offensive guys.
Gotta go back to 2010 and earlier, I think, to find any All-Ivy attack men, Ari Sussman and Nick Bonacci, and the Sowell guys (I assume Nick and perhaps Ari were recruited during the Sowell era)

More recently, I'd take 2-way midfielder Jack Korzelius on any team but not a lot of other guys on the O end.

But hey, other than a couple of short stretches, we've seen very few periods where we have bunches of All-Ivy much less All-American players at any position, and only a handful through history as multiyear AA's.

Players help win, but winning also brings the accolades.

When the comment suggests that a high schooler who was 'near spectacular' in HS "degrades" during their tenure in Hanover, I have two potential reactions: 1) were they really spectacular in HS and, if so, against what competition? And 2) did they stay healthy?

Have we actually recruited multiple top 20 O players who then fizzled? Or have we attracted guys from the 20-100 slot and not had any bloom into the sort of stud that doesn't come along often, anywhere?

I was lucky to play with a couple of guys on the O end who were actually pretty darn good.

Steve O'Neill's brother Mike was one of the all time finest attack men in the history of the sport, another brother a football player for Dartmouth. Steve didn't have his brother Mike's speed, but he was as smart a player was could be, crafty and a terrific feeder. Great background from the Island. He had a great career for us, 2X captain, but never an AA.

I don't know how good Jeff Hickey was in HS, Connecticut ball was not the Island. Hickster and his HS classmate Joe Nastri, were the two main linebackers on a really good Dartmouth football team. Both really big guys. Nastri began as a midfielder for us but then was converted to defense and was our #1 his senior year. Hickey was a phenom. He wasn't that fast, not that amazing of a stick, not especially crafty...but somehow everything he shot went in. It was uncanny. AA his senior year.

Bob Garry, my class of '80, would have started, IMO, for pretty much any team in the nation, also 2X captain. Recruited all over. Tremendous stick, great shooter and feeder from the midfield. He'd captained the champion HS team from the Island. He was our best midfielder his 4 years, scored the winning goal against Cornell, one of 4 that day in an 11-10 huge upset in '79. Fought injuries. Another player in my class, Tom Boltja, had been in the top 2 scorers on the Island the year before he came, an ungodly rate of scoring. First guy I met who threw these crazy fakes we now take for granted. Unfortunately knee injuries ended it for ToBo.

And there were others.
At first we were pretty darn awful. Guys like O'Neill and Garry would make these pinpoint no-look passes and guys wouldn't catch the feeds, never expecting that pass...argghhh.

I'd make outlet passes and hit guys in the stick for a fast break, dropped, fast break coming right back our way again. Navy took 83 shots in my first start, 51 on cage.

We 'won' every fight, though not on the scoreboard.

But we got better overall, as guys started expecting those passes, overall lax IQ increased, stick work improved. Those two classes became the upper classes...and in '79 Bill Ritch joined the coaching staff as associate HC, talked out of retirement.

You need the players. And enough of them to actually win, not just come close.
Otherwise a great feeder hits guys in the stick and they drop it, or they miss the goal or hit the tender in the stomach...
And you need coaches to set expectations high and create a belief that we could actually win.

Do we have all of that right now?
Not enough.

But we battle hard.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:30 pm
b1w7o9y7h wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:30 pm Well, apparently the lacrosse season has started without me. Like Rip Van Winkle, I have awoken from my long slumber, rusty and bearded. And, it appears not a whole heck of a lot has changed.

Share!
I'll have to get back home and scan. Out of town. Definitely will do.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Excerpting my Dartmouth-specific comments from a post on the Yale thread:

Despite the final score, I think Dartmouth is closing the gap. They had a strong first quarter, coming out tied, and had some solid elements (clearing game; non-face-off-related ground balls; a couple of early EMO goals; some good goaltending). They've got some talented kids (including Martin and Prince). I think the addition of Joe Conner has been big for their program. It looks like they need to gain experience and pad out the depth of their line-up to have more consistent success, but that elusive Ivy League win looks like it's getting closer, not receding.

Good luck to the Big Green the rest of the season.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

What are we missing?
Well, FO's.

Lose 28 of 30 FO's and it's going to be a long, long day.

Excluding FO's, Dartmouth out GB'd Yale 22-19, fewer TO's 9-13.
Just 9 TO's !

Our 2 goalies put up a combined 24 saves, Yale's 3 tenders just 6.
Faced 82 shots, 44 on cage.

So...FO's.
Go 50% and that game actually could have been won.
We threw 8 different guys at Ierlan.
But prior to this game, we were only 31.4% at X.
So, no surprise. We just don't have a stud FOGO.
(Not that we actually have a Morrill or Brandau either).

Again, credit to these guys for battling hard.
Takes a lot of heart.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:07 pm Excerpting my Dartmouth-specific comments from a post on the Yale thread:

Despite the final score, I think Dartmouth is closing the gap. They had a strong first quarter, coming out tied, and had some solid elements (clearing game; non-face-off-related ground balls; a couple of early EMO goals; some good goaltending). They've got some talented kids (including Martin and Prince). I think the addition of Joe Conner has been big for their program. It looks like they need to gain experience and pad out the depth of their line-up to have more consistent success, but that elusive Ivy League win looks like it's getting closer, not receding.

Good luck to the Big Green the rest of the season.
Well said, appreciated.
Dartjd76

Post by Dartjd76 »

Atticus wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:26 am Dartjd - your post is a head scratcher. You are a lax alum and you live in town, yet, before you come to your conclusion that the coaches are what is “fundamentally wrong” and don’t “coach up” their young players, you ask ANOTHER poster (who appears to live down in the Mid atlantic) his opinion about these purportedly uncoached players? Don’t you go to the games in support of your program? Are you involved with the program living so close? When you speak of scoring machines’ degrading skills over time, are you referring to the BC era?
Okay, so everything is fine with the program? Rather than nit pick my comments, participation, etc. which you know NOTHING about, how do you explain why men's lacrosse is a perennial doormat while other DC teams are either contenders or at least respectable? The record doesn't lie. What is the root cause of this long term losing streak? I think the players work hard, very hard. So I look for the answer elsewhere.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”