2022 Women’s Lacrosse World Championship

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Can Opener

Re: 2022 Women’s Lacrosse World Championship

Post by Can Opener »

DMac - You know that I appreciate and respect your takes on here. And I also appreciate your measured response, hmmmm. I am struggling with these ground rules, however. It seems the consensus is that it is cool for Bill to criticize CN as much as he likes, but if I make a substantive rebuttal then I am in the wrong. He says her teammates chastised her. I calmly explained why that is wrong and I would estimate that 90% of people in a secret ballot would agree with me. Yet the person defending a young woman is told to stand down while the guy “fibbing” about her is not. What am I missing?

BTW, I also want to clarify that I have never said that CN is the greatest player of all time. I do not gush or drool over her play. I work hard and often spend hours trying to add substantial analysis of games and stats that presented the good and bad in the Tewaaraton race, for example.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

DMac wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:43 am This is an effort in futility, CO, you and njb just need to call a truce and agree to disagree because no one's mind is going to be changed. People often times/most times see what they want to see. I think it is unanimously agreed upon here that North is a fantastic lacrosse player. Some like her style of play and some don't, so be it. I am one who has always seen her as a bit hoggish and one who chokes the offense at times with her style of play. That video is not going to change my mind, I've watched her play plenty enough to form an opinion. There are plenty and plenty and plenty of times when the ball movement comes to a halt when it gets in Charlotte's stick. The result might end with a goal so in a whole lot of people's minds that's all good but it doesn't change the fact that she's a 1v1 player for the most part, at which she does indeed excel. She turned a whole lot of people off (including me) with her post goal alpha ape dance early on in her career and I think there's a carry over of distaste because of that. It makes some see her differently and not in a good way. This big North debate became tiresome a long time ago, just watch and enjoy it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of her.
This perfectly sums up my opinion of her. The early antics totally turned me off (plus I have no love for Duke University :lol: ).
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's not a general consensus, CO, you and njb don't like each other and things escalate quickly with the two of you.
njb does get some back up where you not so much. All in all though it's just not worth it but I of all people do get it.
It's pretty nuts how fired up one can get in a keyboard war on the internet with someone they don't know and will
likely never see. Juist aint worth it, brotha.

Lax101, I'd say KT is not only good as ever, but better than ever!! Wow, she's something else.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

She has had a few highlight goals so far for this tournament. Great plays all over the field!
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:01 pm In my opinion Kayla Treanor is the most dynamic and versatile player in the world and she is as good as ever at age 28. Incredible stick work, insane lefty skills for a natural right hander, incredible vision and IQ etc. Oh - she also broke the NCAA draw record her senior year doing the draw for the first time. She led the team is scoring at the last World Games and was faceguarded by Canada in the final. As good as CN and players like Appuzzo are they are not on the same level with KT.
Her left hand has been so well developed and refined that I specifically remember more than one TV announcer mistakenly claiming she was a "natural lefty" during her college career.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:51 pm
She has had a few highlight goals so far for this tournament. Great plays all over the field!
Indeed she has, a very impressive player and that is an absolutely gorgeous shot.
I kinda like it when people go cross handed to the other side....oh, but you've got to
be able to go with both hands!!!!!
njbill

Post by njbill »

Agree, KT has been playing great. The way she has been playing, she may see another FG before this tournament is over. Apuzzo will need to step up as the main distributor then. She is more than capable of doing so. The starting six on offense is just awesome to watch. I don’t think we have seen their best game yet.

As good as the US team is, the next (hopefully) two games will not be easy.
njbill

Post by njbill »

DMac wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:59 pm
Indeed she has, a very impressive player and that is an absolutely gorgeous shot.
I kinda like it when people go cross handed to the other side....oh, but you've got to
For some reason, I didn’t see as much of her in college as I now wish I had. She is really something special.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

njbill wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:05 pm Agree, KT has been playing great. The way she has been playing, she may see another FG before this tournament is over. Apuzzo will need to step up as the main distributor then. She is more than capable of doing so. The starting six on offense is just awesome to watch. I don’t think we have seen their best game yet.

100% agree on all of this.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:13 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:05 pm Agree, KT has been playing great. The way she has been playing, she may see another FG before this tournament is over. Apuzzo will need to step up as the main distributor then. She is more than capable of doing so. The starting six on offense is just awesome to watch. I don’t think we have seen their best game yet.

I'm not sure a faceguard is a good idea; what do you get for it? A USA team in the offensive zone playing against you five on five? That's a lot of space for speedy players/dodgers like Arsenault, McCool, Mastroianni, and Kennedy. That's a lot of room for shooters like North. That's a lot of space for passers and finishers like Apuzzo. I'd play them straight up and make them beat me, rather than FG anyone.

And I agree; we haven't seen the best they can play, and I think that is particularly true of the defense.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:28 pm
Can Opener wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:13 pm

I'm not sure a faceguard is a good idea; what do you get for it? A USA team in the offensive zone playing against you five on five? That's a lot of space for speedy players/dodgers like Arsenault, McCool, Mastroianni, and Kennedy. That's a lot of room for shooters like North. That's a lot of space for passers and finishers like Apuzzo. I'd play them straight up and make them beat me, rather than FG anyone.

And I agree; we haven't seen the best they can play, and I think that is particularly true of the defense.
I agree. Especially with it being 6v6 instead of 7v7 - there's too much space left open for USA's attackers.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

njbill wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:09 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:59 pm
For some reason, I didn’t see as much of her in college as I now wish I had. She is really something special.
Watching her play in college sometimes felt like you were watching her play a video game :lol: It's a shame she was never able to win the Tewaaraton but let's be honest, no attacker, not even Charlotte North, was going to win the Tewaaraton when Taylor Cummings was the one standing in the way. When you've got an award as vague as "greatest lacrosse player" it's kind of hard to build a case against a player who ranges from competitive to eye-popping in every statistical category. This may not be a great comparison, but Cummings and Treanor being in the same class (which was a pretty deep one overall IMO) and competing against each other always reminded me of Secretariat and Sham.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Oops. My post was about Hompe. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

My scouting report to Canada (assuming them) would be to start straight up, but be ready to deploy a face guard if necessary. Can’t remember for sure, but were the Canadian coaches the same in 2017? Pretty sure Gait was on the staff. He probably has some well developed ideas about how to deal with Treanor.

Agree there is more space now, but KT can be such a killer, I can see the wisdom of taking her out of the game. Yes, it was 7 v. 7 in 2017, but as I recall, the FG strategy worked pretty well. Final was 10 to 5, but I remember it being a pretty tight game.

Could be damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Edit: just looked the game up. It wasn’t quite as tight as I had remembered. Canadians closed to 8-4 with about nine minutes to go, but that was as close as they got. Final was 10-5.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

njbill wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:54 pm Oops. My post was about Hompe. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

My scouting report to Canada (assuming them) would be to start straight up, but be ready to deploy a face guard if necessary. Can’t remember for sure, but were the Canadian coaches the same in 2017? Pretty sure Gait was on the staff. He probably has some well developed ideas about how to deal with Treanor.

Agree there is more space now, but KT can be such a killer, I can see the wisdom of taking her out of the game. Yes, it was 7 v. 7 in 2017, but as I recall, the FG strategy worked pretty well. Final was 10 to 5, but I remember it being a pretty tight game.

Edit: just looked the game up. It wasn’t quite as tight as I had remembered. Canadians closed to 8-4 with about nine minutes to go, but that was as close as they got. Final was 10-5.
No that was probably my bad for not reading back far enough

Hompe is also a great player and was fun to watch at Princeton
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

njbill wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:54 pm Oops. My post was about Hompe. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Quite sure Gait was Canada coach in 2017 and he faceguarded his former player KT. Nobody knows her better than him.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:14 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:41 pm
Can Opener wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:15 pm
njbill wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:46 pm What is with all these illegal sticks from North? Three so far in the tournament. I guess the international refs are haters, too. :roll: Uh, oh. Incoming diatribe from CO after he works on it for three weeks.
I shared a substantive post explaining why your take on North being chastised by her teammates was a fabrication. As per usual, you respond with an attack on me, not on the merits of the post. Someone with manners, confidence and integrity acknowledges when they are wrong. You were wrong on CN winning the Tewaaraton in each of the last two years and dead wrong on her making and excelling on the national team. As I’ve said many times, I don’t understand your odd obsession with criticizing this young woman. You don’t like how she plays. Got it. We all heard you the first 20 times you said that. Time to move on. You are embarrassing yourself further by imagining this chastising silliness.

And I don't understand your ODD problem with people who choose not to view Charlotte North the way that you and ONW do. What is your freaking issue? You DO NOT have to respond to everyone who disagrees with you. Simply chalk it up to them not seeing what you see...and keep it moving. You are NOT going to change Bill's mind about CN. He is simply not a fan of how she plays. I have told you this before, but you just will not accept that. Trying to humiliate him and others is not going to help you in the least.
Bill has manners and integrity...he just is not a CN fan. OKAY? Accept it and move on.
So let me see if I understand your rules. Someone can post outright lies about a player, but if I calmly explain why they are wrong, I am the bad guy. Let’s see if you have sufficient integrity to weigh in on the original fabrication. Do you think that CN was playing hero ball and was chastised by her teammates at the 13:20 mark of this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BnwrXi9epQ

For your reference, Bill’s original take on the play was this: “Did you notice in the first half of the game the other night when she went rogue and turned into me-first Charlotte? She scored, but her senior teammates, instead of hugging her as normally occurs after a goal, clearly were chastising her for selfish play. And then the coaches took her out shortly thereafter.”

I saw absolutely nothing on that...nothing. Is that the play he was referring to? Are you sure? That was nothing to even comment about either way.

And once again, he does not have to like Charlotte North. It is not a requirement of this Forum, just like it wasn't a requirement to like Northwestern on the LaxPower Forum.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:01 pm

Quite sure Gait was Canada coach in 2017 and he faceguarded his former player KT. Nobody knows her better than him.
The US attack personnel and schemes looked very different in 2017. They always played such a boring style under Fried. I love how Spallina/Levy have changed that. Anyway, my point being that I'm not sure FGing Treanor would have the same effect now as in 2017.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Anybody know where the next Lax World Games will be held for the women's National Team and will it be reset to take place in 4 years or will it happen again in 3 years - if previously agreed to before the Covid gap year.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Seeking help for a crew member. Our mate, seacoaster is on a journey and unable to watch.
Descriptions and updates are welcomed.
USA's 2nd possession, 0-0.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”