Maryland
Syracuse
Boston College
Stony Brook

Please correct me if I’m wrong
njbill

Re: 2022 Women’s Lacrosse World Championship

Post by njbill »

North played much better tonight. None of the ball hogging one on one from the Canada game. She worked to get open down low and her teammates found her. She is an excellent finisher when she plays like this. That’s the way the game is supposed to be played.

McCool again tonight, as she was against the Canadians, was the best player on the US team. She simply does everything well.

Treanor is the queen of distribution.

I still miss not having Tumolo on the team. Nobody is more fun to watch.

Even with all her physical limitations, the aged Dana Dobbie sure put on a show the other night. Senior citizen of the tourney so far.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

njbill wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:06 pm North played much better tonight. None of the ball hogging one on one from the Canada game. She worked to get open down low and her teammates found her. She is an excellent finisher when she plays like this. That’s the way the game is supposed to be played.

McCool again tonight, as she was against the Canadians, was the best player on the US team. She simply does everything well.

Even with all her physical limitations, the aged Dana Dobbie sure put on a show the other night. Senior citizen of the tourney so far.
I stopped watching the Scotland-USA game at 11-1 in the second quarter. Had a pretty good idea of the outcome at that point. Agree that North was more contained, let the game come to her a lot more, which frankly makes them a better team. About McCool -- she really does everything, and all of it well. She and Cummings and Parros on a midfield together is literally out of this world. Imagine a team where your second midfield is Mastro, Arsenault and Kennedy? Jesus Mary and Joseph.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

user1020 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:49 pm I believe every team USA player comes from 1 of 5 colleges

North Carolina
Maryland
Syracuse
Boston College
Stony Brook

Please correct me if I’m wrong
Correct.

https://www.usalacrosse.com/roster/2022-us-women-roster
DMac

Post by DMac »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:11 am
njbill wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:06 pm North played much better tonight. None of the ball hogging one on one from the Canada game. She worked to get open down low and her teammates found her. She is an excellent finisher when she plays like this. That’s the way the game is supposed to be played.

I stopped watching the Scotland-USA game at 11-1 in the second quarter. Had a pretty good idea of the outcome at that point. Agree that North was more contained, let the game come to her a lot more, which frankly makes them a better team. About McCool -- she really does everything, and all of it well. She and Cummings and Parros on a midfield together is literally out of this world. Imagine a team where your second midfield is Mastro, Arsenault and Kennedy? Jesus Mary and Joseph.
This team is just too good, a clinic on how wlax is played to near perfection. Down side is it makes it kind of tough to watch a whole lot of the other games, the skill level and quality of play is like filet mignon to tripe.
Lacrosse in the Olympics? Yeah, right.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:28 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:11 am

This team is just too good, a clinic on how wlax is played to near perfection. Down side is it makes it kind of tough to watch a whole lot of the other games, the skill level and quality of play is like filet mignon to tripe.
Lacrosse in the Olympics? Yeah, right.
I had a girlfriend who tricked me into having a tripe sandwich. Still pretty bitter about it, forty years later.

The game I am kind of interested to see is England v. Canada. The Australians look like a pick-up game team. I just don't see them doing anything deliberately or from a game plan. Kind of strange.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:40 am

The game I am kind of interested to see is England v. Canada. The Australians look like a pick-up game team. I just don't see them doing anything deliberately or from a game plan. Kind of strange.
Look at the coach and then look at the D1 team she coaches. See any simularities?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Haven't seen this game yet but I will. Share many of the same sentiments about North as you do. Undeniably a fantastic player at a skill level of few others (definitely not all by herself though). If a player like this plays as you describe above it's all good and she's a huge asset to a team. When she plays the ball hog game though, not so much. I heard all about how good Tucker Dordevic is/was on the mlax side for four years, I also saw what I saw. A ball hog who choked the offense and took a whole lot of players on his team out of the game. This is the price that North comes with too despite the slobbering and shallow minded opinion of some who likely never played on a team with a hog like this. I can't remember the exact number Dordevic had but I can tell you he shot at a 28% success rate and had 12 (that number is exact) assists in his time at Cuse. This a guy who draws a double every time he touches the ball...he aint passin' though, he's shooting. He shot an ungodly number of times including 22 times in one game. This is not a team player who helps a team...you can tell me all day how good he is and I'll tell you I'm damn glad he's transferred to Georgetown. The BC-UNC championship game was on TV the other day and I watched it again. Charolette absolutely cost BC in that game with her hero ball hoggedness....Dordevic like.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:31 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:40 am

Look at the coach and then look at the D1 team she coaches. See any simularities?
Well, yeah, although this team appears to have come together without the benefit of a lot of practice, which that college team got. Australia has some good, creditable players, but they do not settle the ball, do not work the defense and explore for opportunities. It is like they want to move fast...but they are not suited to doing that. Neilson could be their Livy, and they could patiently run the offense through her. But so far anyway, they don't.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:40 am I had a girlfriend who tricked me into having a tripe sandwich. Still pretty bitter about it, forty years later.

What was the trick she played, that is, if it can be shared on a family show? :lol:

The first World Cup I followed was 2005 so I have always had a healthy respect for the Aussies. But they have fallen over the years. In 2013 I was at the UA senior game, coincidently at Johnny U, and the Aussie team for the upcoming WC a few weeks later in Canada was introduced. Jen Adams' knee was wrapped and she was clearly hobbled (later learned she'd torn her ACL just days before). Many in the crowd (including me) were unaware of her injury so it was huge news. She missed that WC and I don't think has played WC since even though she's only in her early 40s. (Anyone doubt she could still play on the Aussie WC team?)

I was chatting with a Canadian fellow at a lacrosse tournament a few days ago. I asked him if he thought the US v. Canada game might have been different if Lasota had been on the team. She lead the Canucks to the U-19 title in 2015. I thought she was playing for the Haudenosaunee team in this World Cup, but I didn't see her name in the one box score I checked. She was North before North. Anyway, she's a huge loss to the Canadian team.

I think the ESPN+ feed last night was excellent. The video coverage has improved tremendously in quality and quantity over the years. I recall it was decent in 2017, but not as good as this year. And in some WCs past, it was the equivalent of having to take your transistor radio up to the corner of the attic to try to get reception for a big game back in the '60s.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Not sure if this was covered earlier, but I do enjoy watching the play with the teams limited to 9 field players and a goalie. It really opens up the field and allows more cutting and less congestion with only 6 offensive players and six defenders. I would love the NCAA to adopt this.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Careful, Sc(1) has a word for that, edging ever closer to mlax.
I do 100% agree though. Makes for some really pretty lacrosse.
I like the eleven meter too.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

You know what, she doesn't get talked about as much as the other players on the team but Marie McCool is an amazing player and always has been. A joy to watch. Putting on another clinic against the Aussies tonight. Complete player. We all love CN and she's great. The best shooter the game has ever seen. but she just doesn't impact the game in the same manner Cummings, Treanor, McCool, and Apuzzo do. If North is not scoring , she struggles to stay involved in the game.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Completely agree. This team is just a clinic, phenomenal talent, aint nobody does wlax like the USA.
Treanor had, I think, three assists back to back to back and each one of them was on the dime, right
in the stick in very tight quarters. She even had the dog woofin' a couple times with her precision passing.
Only watched the first half, don't know how many she ended up with but she had four (plus one goal) at
the half. Agree, CN is a scorer but there are several players on this team who are far more complete players.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:17 am Completely agree. This team is just a clinic, phenomenal talent, aint nobody does wlax like the USA.
Treanor had, I think, three assists back to back to back and each one of them was on the dime, right
in the stick in very tight quarters. She even had the dog woofin' a couple times with her precision passing.
Only watched the first half, don't know how many she ended up with but she had four (plus one goal) at
the half. Agree, CN is a scorer but there are several players on this team who are far more complete players.
Very well said. I think where things sometimes get bogged down on this site and most of us fall into this at times - is that it’s ok that CN is the best offensive threat and that other players are more complete players and we don’t need to put one side or the other down. Btw Dmac, I’m not suggesting you did this, I just happened to be responding to your post. I completely agree with you on the ball movement, it’s like watching the Showtime Lakers play a high school team. You could even notice it with the Australian’s last night. At times they moved the ball so well and they looked liked they sort of belonged in the game and then there were times when HN would hold the ball too long and the movement from the other players came to a grinding halt. At this level, if you can keep the ball moving and in turn keep the defensive in constant movement, eventually someone will come open. The US are second to none doing that.

What are your thoughts on the rule differences in the international game? I have to say I like the 11m vs 8m line (I know, I know, of course I do being a dad of goalies😉). Seriously though, I think it still gives the offensive player a good enough opportunity to score but it’s not so severe of a punishment that a goal is basically a foregone conclusion. I’m a fan of the shot clock, so I don’t like that change.
Last edited by Justalaxdad on Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes, the North slobberers and droolers take offense when anything other than North is greatest thing to ever happen to wlax and is the goddess of the wlax universe is said. She clearly is not, she comes with a price, can be an anchor that bogs a team down. She's a scorer, and a mighty good one.
The shot clock is a must, although with Team USA it's a non factor. At the D1 level though (not restricted to) it has improved the game tremendously. Gotta have the clock. Mentioned earlier that I really like the 11 meter. While it might make it a little tougher on the player on the arc to get to the cage, it also creates more room for passing it off to another player in that area, got a little more green to work with there. I've seen some nice dishes and goals on that play in this competition as a result of that. I'd be all in on changing the 8 meter to eleven. Ultimately the GK's in a tough spot on that play, I've expressed my sentiments many times on how I feel about what the success rate of shooters should be on that play.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:45 am Mentioned earlier that I really like the 11 meter. While it might make it a little tougher on the player on the arc to get to the cage, it also creates more room for passing it off to another player in that area, got a little more green to work with there.
One less player makes that easier as well.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Didn't notice/realize that. A good reason for the more green to work with.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:17 am Completely agree. This team is just a clinic, phenomenal talent, aint nobody does wlax like the USA.
Ive been saying that ^ CN for 2 years and got my A** handed to me. Great shooter not a complete player. And thats OK
other players def have a more complete game plan.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Watched the second half, nice finish for the USA. Waters way out of the cage, gets involved in a GB battle, ends up on the ground and the Aussies come with the ball. Waters has to dart back to the cage, gets there just in time to make the save. You know GKs love that kind of play. Now the ball's down at the other end where Kennedy scores on a really sweet BTB shot from a bit of distance. That one had the dog shaking his head. Aussies are pretty good but the US is just in a league all their own.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”