All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Essexfenwick

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by Essexfenwick »

Our leader has dementia

End of story
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:04 pm Our leader has dementia

End of story
Beware of trolling...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:02 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:46 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:20 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:19 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:04 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:13 pm Cha-mutha-effin-ching: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/15/worl ... &smtyp=cur

Can't wait to see where all these weapons end up....likely that many will point right back at us.
1 billion on weapons doesn’t go very far.
Nice to see we have so much discretionary cash to throw around...oh wait, but this is for a great cause.

If I did not know any better, this plays right in to Putin's hands. We send in all this BAE, Raytheon, Boeing, etc, military equipment and as Putin slowly takes over ukraine... block by block, the syrians and supposedly ISIS are also gonna help out now. This is fuggin stupid, what we are doing, just stupid.
Another forum member rooting for Putin and Russia. :roll:

We actually have a president who knows and understands history. Biden is not going to let Putin “win” this war.

Anyway, Putin has already lost. Not only is he destroying Russia’s military (one-third of Russia’s armored vehicles destroyed, maybe approaching 15,000-20,000 dead Russian soldiers, more than two-thirds of precision munitions already expended), he has also encouraged further NATO expansion.

Keep sending Ukraine whatever they need. Putin and Russia must be humiliated and devastated.

DocBarrister
Yea...I am rooting for Putin :roll:
I have zero doubt about whether you are actually "rooting for" Putin; however, if I understand correctly, you think it's stupid for the US to supply Ukraine with the weaponry necessary to defend their sovereignty?

You said "If I didn't know any better"..."this plays right into Putin's hands"...do you mean that you really DO know better? And it doesn't play into Putin's hands? Or was that just a figure of speech and you are predicting that our weaponry will end up controlled by Putin, that Ukraine is going to lose this fight, regardless of our supplies and support?

Or are you saying that we actually need to do much more so as to ensure that Putin is defeated and this possibility is obviated entirely?

Back to "rooting for", if we don't help Ukraine, do you agree that Putin and Russia will succeed in taking over Ukraine, deposing the current government and installing a pro-Russia regime or simply annex Ukraine into Russia (as Putin has said that Ukraine isn't sovereign, it's really part of Russia) ?

So, if we withdrew support, is that not expecting, if not "rooting for" Putin to win?
Both...the proxy war via weapons and cash seems futile to me; you are either in or out. Our weapons are going to end up in the wrong hands, and would not be surprised to see them used towards Ukraine or ultimately pointed back at us at some point. Biden is nibbling the edges...which I appreciate, I also do not want our soldiers in the middle of this chaos; rock and a hard place, yes. And as we are seeing, syria is supposedly going to help russia...just great, enter the ME again.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:48 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:19 pm Nice to see we have so much discretionary cash to throw around...oh wait, but this is for a great cause.
:lol: That's on your and your pals. Remember telling me that deficits don't matter? Well.....you TOLD our leaders that you don't care how much they spend, and how much they borrow.

So here we are.
:lol: ;) Maybe this will help. Still believe that, but hey, lets float everyone else, while we watch America burn.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ggait

Post by ggait »

;) ;)

End of story
I’m confused Reagan has been out of office for decades.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:24 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:19 pm Nice to see we have so much discretionary cash to throw around...oh wait, but this is for a great cause.
:lol: That's on your and your pals. Remember telling me that deficits don't matter? Well.....you TOLD our leaders that you don't care how much they spend, and how much they borrow.

So here we are.
:lol: ;) Maybe this will help. Still believe that, but hey, lets float everyone else, while we watch America burn.
:lol: The nuance is: YouthAthletics "forgot" to complain about money we burned when the R's were in charge, told me that interest on debt isn't a "thing".......and has now found FiscalJeezus, and is now "fiscally responsible' since Biden's little D took office.

Tell you what......Biden's got several trillion in borrowed spending to go to match what Trump did, between the spending and the reckless tax cuts.

I'll let you know when he gets there, and then mail you a string of pearls so that you can clutch them, and pretend to care about American Finance.

;)
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

ggait wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:26 pm ;) ;)

End of story
I’m confused Reagan has been out of office for decades.

Reagan was popular

Joe is historically disliked.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:50 pm

So here we are.
:lol: The nuance is: YouthAthletics "forgot" to complain about money we burned when the R's were in charge, told me that interest on debt isn't a "thing".......and has now found FiscalJeezus, and is now "fiscally responsible' since Biden's little D took office.

Tell you what......Biden's got several trillion in borrowed spending to go to match what Trump did, between the spending and the reckless tax cuts.

I'll let you know when he gets there, and then mail you a string of pearls so that you can clutch them, and pretend to care about American Finance.

;)
My link still applies...even after you clicked it. My point, is I am fine with spending money, (we'll never run out of it) if we are looking out for number 1 and not stepping in number 2.
~Livy

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:50 pm

So here we are.

;)
My link still applies...even after you clicked it. My point, is I am fine with spending money, (we'll never run out of it) if we are looking out for number 1 and not stepping in number 2.
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:34 pm My link still applies...even after you clicked it. My point, is I am fine with spending money, (we'll never run out of it) if we are looking out for number 1 and not stepping in number 2.
I got a chuckle out of the link, for what that's worth.

And in return, MY point is that with you and the board's other Republicans on the board, it's hard to not notice that you never, ever, ever talk about waste and spending when a Republican is in the White House. Ever.

So it's hard to take you remotely seriously when you claim to have a "nuanced view" when it comes to spending.

Honestly, I thought you were kidding. And come on, my "mailing you a string of pearls" bit was pretty solid, no?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:46 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:34 pm My link still applies...even after you clicked it. My point, is I am fine with spending money, (we'll never run out of it) if we are looking out for number 1 and not stepping in number 2.
I got a chuckle out of the link, for what that's worth.

And in return, MY point is that with you and the board's other Republicans on the board, it's hard to not notice that you never, ever, ever talk about waste and spending when a Republican is in the White House. Ever.

So it's hard to take you remotely seriously when you claim to have a "nuanced view" when it comes to spending.

Honestly, I thought you were kidding. And come on, my "mailing you a string of pearls" bit was pretty solid, no?
To be clear, I am typically fine with spending, so long as it is in the benefit of others & not to line the pockets of others.

Yes...a laughed out loud. I was picturing you taking them off from around your neck while wearing the Carhartt overalls and Redwings. :lol:
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:18 pm To be clear, I am typically fine with spending, so long as it is in the benefit of others & not to line the pockets of others.
It would have helped your case more if you, for example, lost your sh*t over Trump's tax cuts which---to the letter-----do what you are suggesting above. Happy to admit that his is a sore spot for me.....hearing nothing about spending for four years of Trump...and then Biden arrives, and now spending is bad.
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:18 pm Yes...a laughed out loud. I was picturing you taking them off from around your neck while wearing the Carhartt overalls and Redwings. :lol:
:lol: Well it wouldn't be half as funny if I didn't wear the pearls first, before sending them to you, right? So.........
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:20 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:02 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:46 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:20 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:19 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:04 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:13 pm Cha-mutha-effin-ching: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/15/worl ... &smtyp=cur

Can't wait to see where all these weapons end up....likely that many will point right back at us.
1 billion on weapons doesn’t go very far.
Nice to see we have so much discretionary cash to throw around...oh wait, but this is for a great cause.

If I did not know any better, this plays right in to Putin's hands. We send in all this BAE, Raytheon, Boeing, etc, military equipment and as Putin slowly takes over ukraine... block by block, the syrians and supposedly ISIS are also gonna help out now. This is fuggin stupid, what we are doing, just stupid.
Another forum member rooting for Putin and Russia. :roll:

We actually have a president who knows and understands history. Biden is not going to let Putin “win” this war.

Anyway, Putin has already lost. Not only is he destroying Russia’s military (one-third of Russia’s armored vehicles destroyed, maybe approaching 15,000-20,000 dead Russian soldiers, more than two-thirds of precision munitions already expended), he has also encouraged further NATO expansion.

Keep sending Ukraine whatever they need. Putin and Russia must be humiliated and devastated.

DocBarrister
Yea...I am rooting for Putin :roll:
I have zero doubt about whether you are actually "rooting for" Putin; however, if I understand correctly, you think it's stupid for the US to supply Ukraine with the weaponry necessary to defend their sovereignty?

You said "If I didn't know any better"..."this plays right into Putin's hands"...do you mean that you really DO know better? And it doesn't play into Putin's hands? Or was that just a figure of speech and you are predicting that our weaponry will end up controlled by Putin, that Ukraine is going to lose this fight, regardless of our supplies and support?

Or are you saying that we actually need to do much more so as to ensure that Putin is defeated and this possibility is obviated entirely?

Back to "rooting for", if we don't help Ukraine, do you agree that Putin and Russia will succeed in taking over Ukraine, deposing the current government and installing a pro-Russia regime or simply annex Ukraine into Russia (as Putin has said that Ukraine isn't sovereign, it's really part of Russia) ?

So, if we withdrew support, is that not expecting, if not "rooting for" Putin to win?
Both...the proxy war via weapons and cash seems futile to me; you are either in or out. Our weapons are going to end up in the wrong hands, and would not be surprised to see them used towards Ukraine or ultimately pointed back at us at some point. Biden is nibbling the edges...which I appreciate, I also do not want our soldiers in the middle of this chaos; rock and a hard place, yes. And as we are seeing, syria is supposedly going to help russia...just great, enter the ME again.
We're pretty close then. I do think we need to do more, so that Ukraine is more assured to be successful in beating back Russia, though I'm glad there's a level of adult restraint being employed. Yes, rock and a hard place.

But I don't think we have to put our troops in with the weaponry; I think we can do more with longer range weaponry and lots of it, along with the intelligence support. the Ukrainians have demonstrated the capacity to fight and learn.

Syria was already helping Russia, including with Syrian fighters. They're no better than the Russian military, just as brutal, but just as vulnerable to not fighting for something they truly hold dear. Mercenaries and conscripts.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:44 am
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:11 pm That ignores the fact that the asylum process & laws are being cynically abused to import cheap labor.
And you ignore the fact that not fixing the overall system cynically abuses our laws to import cheap labor.
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:11 pm That's just one factor that can be corrected on it's own, then see the results & tackle comp reform.
We already living it. Trump's games at the border has led to a massive labor shortage, Old Salt. Why do you think everything is so expensive, and restaurants (to cite one example) all over the country can't find labor?

Trump's game made YOU happy. That's it. He gets to tell voters like you that he's being tough. And you bought it.
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:11 pm Farmers will get more workers when they can pay enough to make the work more attractive than .gov safety net checks.
:lol: :lol: This tells me that you don't know any farmers who handle crops that need picking. There is no amount of money that will lure gringos into the field. Ask them, hear for yourself.
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:11 pm None of that is a reason not to close the asylum loopholes now.
Biden is doing what Biden wants. And shocker, you don't like it.

Remember when you were all over Obama for not taking the JCPOA to the Senate? Well...right back atcha. Trump ruled by EO's instead of by getting off his duff, and leading legislation. And I TOLD YOU that that's what would happen. And you didn't want to hear it.

Your party doesn't fix this fake problem because A. status quo favors Corporations and B. they need this wedge issues to sucker guys like you to vote for them.

Until you catch on, and start holding your own party accountable? This fake issue will still be there in another 50 years. Whining that the Dems are "doing it wrong" is a waste of your breath.
I may never catch on because I'm obviously not as smart or as well informed as you are.

So in summary, you think we don't need to bother fixing the asylum process because it does not fix ALL of our immigration problems & we don't want to mess with the illegal system as it is, because then your farmer & chef friends will lose their supply of cheap illegal labor, while legal low skill workers can make more staying home & receiving emergency safety net checks ? Got it. Now I understand your logic.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:55 am
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:11 pm That ignores the fact that the asylum process & laws are being cynically abused to import cheap labor.
And you ignore the fact that not fixing the overall system cynically abuses our laws to import cheap labor.
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:11 pm That's just one factor that can be corrected on it's own, then see the results & tackle comp reform.
We already living it. Trump's games at the border has led to a massive labor shortage, Old Salt. Why do you think everything is so expensive, and restaurants (to cite one example) all over the country can't find labor?

Trump's game made YOU happy. That's it. He gets to tell voters like you that he's being tough. And you bought it.
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:11 pm Farmers will get more workers when they can pay enough to make the work more attractive than .gov safety net checks.
:lol: :lol: This tells me that you don't know any farmers who handle crops that need picking. There is no amount of money that will lure gringos into the field. Ask them, hear for yourself.
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:11 pm None of that is a reason not to close the asylum loopholes now.

Remember when you were all over Obama for not taking the JCPOA to the Senate? Well...right back atcha. Trump ruled by EO's instead of by getting off his duff, and leading legislation. And I TOLD YOU that that's what would happen. And you didn't want to hear it.

Your party doesn't fix this fake problem because A. status quo favors Corporations and B. they need this wedge issues to sucker guys like you to vote for them.

Until you catch on, and start holding your own party accountable? This fake issue will still be there in another 50 years. Whining that the Dems are "doing it wrong" is a waste of your breath.
I may never catch on because I'm obviously not as smart or as well informed as you are.

So in summary, you think we don't need to bother fixing the asylum process because it does not fix ALL of our immigration problems & we don't want to mess with the illegal system as it is, because then your farmer & chef friends will lose their supply of cheap illegal labor, while legal low skill workers can make more staying home & receiving emergency safety net checks ? Got it. Now I understand your logic.
Are you opposed to comprehensive immigration reform?

A fan has made clear what his specific policy recommendations would be, and his challenge to the right wing whiners about "illegal" immigration is to actually get serious with E-verify...why has this not been done by the GOP?

He's not arguing for Democrat policies, he's saying the GOP refuses to fix the problem at all. Just want the cheap labor for business and no responsibility to verify status...and want an issue to rile up their racist, nativist base voters.

What's your comprehensive recommendation?
Or are you just going to make cynical snide (and dumb) comments about "legal low skill workers can make more staying home & receiving emergency safety net checks"? Yeah, we "got it".

But this belongs in another thread.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:55 am I may never catch on because I'm obviously not as smart or as well informed as you are.
:lol: You're twice as smart as I am....right up until R's and D's get involved. The minute that happens, you put your brain on the shelf.

It's why you came up with the patently stupid idea that that a couple of entry level flunkies from the FBI could "trick" a General into lying. There's NO WAY you'd make that asinine claim for anyone with a D by their name, and we both know it.

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:55 am So in summary, you think we don't need to bother fixing the asylum process because it does not fix ALL of our immigration problems & we don't want to mess with the illegal system as it is, because then your farmer & chef friends will lose their supply of cheap illegal labor
:lol: As usual, you got it backwards. The ENTIRE REASON that farmers and chefs have access to their supply of cheap illegal labor is that you and your party refuses to turn on EVerify. That's on YOU, my man.

You think that EVerify is a trifle. A footnote. An accessory. Dude: it's LITERALLY how illegal workers can get jobs. Turn Everify on, as I have been asking, and you have been mocking.....and that labor disappears. Because what chef making $50K per year (if he's lucky) wants to go to jail for hiring illegal workers?

It will never be turned on because of YOU, not me.

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:55 am .....while legal low skill workers can make more staying home & receiving emergency safety net checks ? Got it. Now I understand your logic.
:lol: You think gringos are gonna work in a kitchen or a field for $15 an hour in 2022? :lol: Go ask your grandkids to do that. We've got peaches that need picking out here in about a month. Oh, and they need to be able to get to the worksite. Oh, and they need to find a place to live. Oh, and it's for a job that just lasts about 90 days.

Should be easy to find kids who will do that. You've obviously got all this squared.

Here's some reading for you. Back in 1964, when White Americans were supposed to be tough and hard working, and before liberals were invented.... :roll: And if you think that it's any different in 2022? Ask a farmer if they can get white workers.....and watch them laugh in your face.

Headline: When The U.S. Government Tried To Replace Migrant Farmworkers With High Schoolers

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... -schoolers
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:33 am
old salt wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:55 am

Are you opposed to comprehensive immigration reform? NO ! to the contrary, I've posted many times my comp imm reform.
I'm discussing 1 part of it -- the abuse of the asylum process -- which, since 2017, has lead to much of the chaos on the border & ties up so much of our resources to manage that it renders the entire immigration & border security operation on our southern border inoperable.

A fan has made clear what his specific policy recommendations would be, and his challenge to the right wing whiners about "illegal" immigration is to actually get serious with E-verify...why has this not been done by the GOP? You are butting into my argument with afan at late date -- I'm making clear that E-verify needs to be part of comp imm reform, but that does not preclude closing the asylum loophole NOW.

He's not arguing for Democrat policies, he's saying the GOP refuses to fix the problem at all. Just want the cheap labor for business and no responsibility to verify status...and want an issue to rile up their racist, nativist base voters.I don't give a sh!t about his team party nonsense or your PC bean counting. I'm addressing an abuse of the asylum process which could be easily corrected & should not be held hostage to all the other contentious factors that bog down comp imm reform.

What's your comprehensive recommendation? I've posted them several times.
Or are you just going to make cynical snide (and dumb) comments about "legal low skill workers can make more staying home & receiving emergency safety net checks"? Yeah, we "got it".Yes, when refuting cynical snide (and dumb) comments.

But this belongs in another thread.Which you were not obviously reading.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:16 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:55 am I may never catch on because I'm obviously not as smart or as well informed as you are.
:lol: You're twice as smart as I am....right up until R's and D's get involved. The minute that happens, you put your brain on the shelf.

It's why you came up with the patently stupid idea that that a couple of entry level flunkies from the FBI could "trick" a General into lying. There's NO WAY you'd make that asinine claim for anyone with a D by their name, and we both know it.

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:55 am So in summary, you think we don't need to bother fixing the asylum process because it does not fix ALL of our immigration problems & we don't want to mess with the illegal system as it is, because then your farmer & chef friends will lose their supply of cheap illegal labor
:lol: As usual, you got it backwards. The ENTIRE REASON that farmers and chefs have access to their supply of cheap illegal labor is that you and your party refuses to turn on EVerify. That's on YOU, my man.

You think that EVerify is a trifle. A footnote. An accessory. No -- I agree that E-verify has to be phased in as part of comp imm reform, but only part. Meanwhile, that should not preclude closing the asylum loopholes which have been creating chaos on our S border since the caravans of asylum seekers began in 2014 (which Obama & Jeh Johnson admirably tried to fix until overruled by Fed Courts.) Dude: it's LITERALLY how illegal workers can get jobs. Turn Everify on, as I have been asking, and you have been mocking show us my words mocking E-verify......and that labor disappears. Because what chef making $50K per year (if he's lucky) wants to go to jail for hiring illegal workers?

It will never be turned on because of YOU, not me.
old salt wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:55 am .....while legal low skill workers can make more staying home & receiving emergency safety net checks ? Got it. Now I understand your logic.
:lol: You think gringos are gonna work in a kitchen or a field for $15 an hour in 2022? :lol: Go ask your grandkids to do that. We've got peaches that need picking out here in about a month. How were the peaches picked before the caravans of asylum seekers began flowing through the asylum loopholes -- now bringing their entire family with them, since they are now resettled by DHS, rather than just single workers being smuggled across the border. What happened to the seasonal legal migrant worker program ? Oh, and they need to be able to get to the worksite. Oh, and they need to find a place to live. Oh, and it's for a job that just lasts about 90 days.Legal seasonal migrant workers, sending remittances home, making enough in those 90 days to support their entire family all year.

Should be easy to find kids who will do that. You've obviously got all this squared.

Here's some reading for you. Back in 1964, when White Americans were supposed to be tough and hard working, and before liberals were invented.... :roll: And if you think that it's any different in 2022? Ask a farmer if they can get white workers.....and watch them laugh in your face.

Headline: When The U.S. Government Tried To Replace Migrant Farmworkers With High Schoolers
I didn't realize Caesar Chavez was organizing of behalf of white HS kids.
Wasn't your hero AOC a waitress ?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... -schoolers
Last edited by old salt on Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

How do you trick someone into lying?
“I wish you would!”
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:56 pm How do you trick someone into lying?
Lots of ways.

Return to “POLITICS”