Semifinal No. 2 -- Maryland v. BC 5/27 -- 5:00 pm

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Semifinal No. 2 -- Maryland v. BC 5/27 -- 5:00 pm

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Last night was another example of a big-time player having a big time game when the team needs it the most.
OuttaNowhereWregget

It was a pleasure to watch Libby May in this game. Smooth talented player.
OuttaNowhereWregget

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:54 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:39 am I actually liked the occasional birds-eye view from the camera hovering over the field. It gave the viewer a terrific view of the spacing, the overloads, and other gimmicks an offense has to try and a defense has to contend with. You could see, for example, BC trying to stretch the length of the slides Maryland would need to make to help, and then how BC moved the ball off the slide/double. Just kind of fun to see. Great production, helped by the four very best teams in the land laying it alllll out.

I thought Maryland had this game won, and managed down the stretch.
I also enjoyed the modified birds eye view. Nice new wrinkle which added to the broadcast.
I could do without the mic'd up refs in the draw circle. The ref mics are great when conversing with players or explaining fouls/yellows.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

https://twitter.com/marylandwlax/status ... 580zTJquow

What player doesn’t want to play for Cathy Reese
She’s the best coach out there IMO
OuttaNowhereWregget

suffolk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:36 am End of game situations on offense are about getting the ball in your top player's hands. If I am playing defense, I am doing everything I can to deny North the ball. Cathy Reese and Kennis the defensive coach are tremendous coaches. In this instance in my opinion they made an egregious error.

I also think Coach Reese not scheduling a top team like UNC, Syracuse, or BC during the season came back to bite them. I know per fact they declined UNC's requests to play. I am not sure what happened with the annual Syracuse game. Maryland had not played in a close game against a top team all year. It showed in the last seven minutes on both ends of the field. The girls appeared nervous and tentative. BC on the other hand had been in these close game situations during the season and they played like it.
You make some interesting points here. Appreciated reading this.

(In hindsight, they could have scheduled Syracuse without risking any trauma.)
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: How did Maryland choke this game away?

And the accompanying video documenting the turnovers:

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:55 am With Maryland leading 16-14 and 6:58 left in the 4th quarter, the Terps won the next three draw controls, but each time, BC caused the turnover and scored.

The first draw control resulted in a successful clear but then #11 defender Aiden Peduzzi just kind of lost her way once she got over the restraining line (ending up with a crease violation??) and Weeks caused the turnover which resulted in North scoring to pull BC within one.

Maryland 16-15 5:16 left.

Maryland wins the ensuing draw, calls timeout, then Weeks stripped Cordingley for a turnover and North scores down the other end to tie it.

Tie score 16-16 3:06 left.

Maryland wins draw control and clears successfully but yet again, BC causes the turnover when Leubecker kind of lost her way and her purpose and coughed the ball up in a crowd. Schleicher scooped the GB, BC cleared successfully, Weeks scores the game winner with 18 seconds left. 17-16 BC. Ball game.

Maryland had this game but they got nervous and blew it. For all Sterling's brilliance and tactical soundness over the course of the season, she couldn't make the saves needed to preserve the game down the stretch. For all Reese's brilliance, her players made clueless decisions down the stretch to lose the game for the Terps.

Sometimes you just have to wait until the other team blinks. BC did an outstanding job of that last night.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cordingley was largely neutralized yesterday. 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 GB, 3 TO, 2 CT, 1 DC.
DMac

Post by DMac »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:21 am And the accompanying video documenting the turnovers:

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:55 am With Maryland leading 16-14 and 6:58 left in the 4th quarter, the Terps won the next three draw controls, but each time, BC caused the turnover and scored.

The first draw control resulted in a successful clear but then #11 defender Aiden Peduzzi just kind of lost her way once she got over the restraining line (ending up with a crease violation??) and Weeks caused the turnover which resulted in North scoring to pull BC within one.

Maryland wins the ensuing draw, calls timeout, then Weeks stripped Cordingley for a turnover and North scores down the other end to tie it.

Maryland wins draw control and clears successfully but yet again, BC causes the turnover when Leubecker kind of lost her way and her purpose and coughed the ball up in a crowd. Schleicher scooped the GB, BC cleared successfully, Weeks scores the game winner with 18 seconds left. 17-16 BC. Ball game.

Maryland had this game but they got nervous and blew it. For all Sterling's brilliance and tactical soundness over the course of the season, she couldn't make the saves needed to preserve the game down the stretch. For all Reese's brilliance, her players made clueless decisions down the stretch to lose the game for the Terps.

Sometimes you just have to wait until the other team blinks. BC did an outstanding job of that last night.
Through ONW vision these are chokes but I would suggest that vision is that of a bat's.
One team losing or one player beating another does not equal choke unless, of course,
you're a critic looking for an opportunity to use the word however unwarranted.
Weeks' take away is hardly a choke by the Md player but rather a brilliantly executed
check by Weeks to which you give no credit by calling it a choke. This is a second rate
and inaccurate description of the play.
Leubecker's all out, caution to the wind, effort to get to the cage in a tie game with
little time left and the shot clock winding down is an exhibition of a player giving it
everything she's got to make something happen but runs into a collapsing and swarming
defense that isn't having it. You label this effort as a choke. That really is pitiful and again
doesn't recognize the beautifully executed defense by BC. Then again, you just like to knock
Maryland and any excuse to call this loss a choke is good enough for you while disregarding
BC's effort and execution to win it. Sad commentary and really half aszed, inaccurate reporting.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Exactly DMac. Take the play involving Peduzzi. BC smartly locked off her passing options and BC made her -- a defender without a ton of experience -- carry the ball and eventually turn it over. Good awareness, good team play...all written off in a sports radio blather for a "choke." Baloney.

The sort of interesting thing to me is this: if you're looking for a choke candidate, you might look at Northwestern letting an 8 or 7 goal lead evaporate, rather than a tightly contested game involving the No. 2 and 3 seeds. But our troll chose Maryland to single out. Again.
totc

Post by totc »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:16 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:39 am I actually liked the occasional birds-eye view from the camera hovering over the field. It gave the viewer a terrific view of the spacing, the overloads, and other gimmicks an offense has to try and a defense has to contend with. You could see, for example, BC trying to stretch the length of the slides Maryland would need to make to help, and then how BC moved the ball off the slide/double. Just kind of fun to see. Great production, helped by the four very best teams in the land laying it alllll out.

I also enjoyed the modified birds eye view. Nice new wrinkle which added to the broadcast.
I could do without the mic'd up refs in the draw circle. The ref mics are great when conversing with players or explaining fouls/yellows.
Disagree! You get to hear the signals the centers yell out to their wing players.

Plus, did you notice the one umpire who seemed to interact the most was the former U.S. field hockey player, Judy Strong? I think she umpired the NCAA Division I field hockey tournament last fall (early rounds, not the Final Four).
njbill

Post by njbill »

I, too, love hearing the talk of the ref and the centers when the draw is being set up. Wish the announcers would shut up.

I guess it is understandable that the refs would turn their mikes off when they are conferencing, but I would love to be able to listen in.

Ref 1: I didn't see the play.

Ref 2: Me neither.

Ref 3: I'm pretty sure I saw it which is why I made the call.

Refs 1 and 2: I guess we'll have to go with that, Ref 3.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

njbill wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:46 am I, too, love hearing the talk of the ref and the centers when the draw is being set up. Wish the announcers would shut up.

I guess it is understandable that the refs would turn their mikes off when they are conferencing, but I would love to be able to listen in.

LOL - I was thinking the same thing. Things like mic’ing the refs up only enhances the game experience and brings the sport in line with what other productions of major sports are like.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

DMac wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:26 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:21 am And the accompanying video documenting the turnovers:

Through ONW vision these are chokes but I would suggest that vision is that of a bat's.
One team losing or one player beating another does not equal choke unless, of course,
you're a critic looking for an opportunity to use the word however unwarranted.
Weeks' take away is hardly a choke by the Md player but rather a brilliantly executed
check by Weeks to which you give no credit by calling it a choke. This is a second rate
and inaccurate description of the play.
Leubecker's all out, caution to the wind, effort to get to the cage in a tie game with
little time left and the shot clock winding down is an exhibition of a player giving it
everything she's got to make something happen but runs into a collapsing and swarming
defense that isn't having it. You label this effort as a choke. That really is pitiful and again
doesn't recognize the beautifully executed defense by BC. Then again, you just like to knock
Maryland and any excuse to call this loss a choke is good enough for you while disregarding
BC's effort and execution to win it. Sad commentary and really half aszed, inaccurate reporting.
Dmac - I completely agree with you but you know why he does it. What I’m surprised about though, is why he hasn’t posted about BC being BC again and doing what they usually do - choke on the grandest of stages. I mean he’s always pointing out how this school “does what they always do”, and that school is this or that yet not realizing the school he may be talking about has more Natty’s than BC. Actually I do know - he only likes to stir when other teams are in the pot.

On a more sane note - congrats to all four teams on a great weekend! Say what you want about conference superiority (for or against), the four best teams put on a terrific show this weekend. UNC- perfect season, BC - 5 straight title games, Maryland - proving they’re still Maryland and N’western - almost slaying Goliath. Looking forward to fall ball already!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:46 am I, too, love hearing the talk of the ref and the centers when the draw is being set up. Wish the announcers would shut up.

I think it helps me understand why a certain ref makes decisions. Without it all I can say is "what ???"
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

I know she still had a game high 4 goals, but I thought Trenchard did a really great job on North, especially in the first half. You could see some frustration. Also have to credit the rest of the UNC defense too for doing their jobs, because it allowed Trenchard to do what she needed to.

Credit the BC attacking unit too because they didn’t make it easy :lol:

Sorry if I’m laying it on thick but from a viewers standpoint I still am not quite over how great this past weekend was. I feel like there were a lot of new eyes on the game
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:26 am I know she still had a game high 4 goals, but I thought Trenchard did a really great job on North, especially in the first half. You could see some frustration. Also have to credit the rest of the UNC defense too for doing their jobs, because it allowed Trenchard to do what she needed to.

Credit the BC attacking unit too because they didn’t make it easy :lol:

Sorry if I’m laying it on thick but from a viewers standpoint I still am not quite over how great this past weekend was. I feel like there were a lot of new eyes on the game
I completely agree with this, I think it’s actually a testament to both players. Like you said even though Charlotte scored four goals, Emma did a great job on her. And vice versa how many attack players do you think scored four goals on Emma this year? That just goes to show how great of a player Charlotte is.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

totc wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:01 am

Disagree! You get to hear the signals the centers yell out to their wing players.

Plus, did you notice the one umpire who seemed to interact the most was the former U.S. field hockey player, Judy Strong? I think she umpired the NCAA Division I field hockey tournament last fall (early rounds, not the Final Four).

totc....you think those were "signals" huh? Okay, tell me which Centers were yelling signals and what did they mean?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:48 am

totc....you think those were "signals" huh? Okay, tell me which Centers were yelling signals and what did they mean?
I genuinely think Charlotte saying “she has it” meant that the ball was sitting in the sticks in such a way that gave Ally a slight advantage at directing it. Whether it’s something like the bottom corner of Mastroianni’s head sitting just above Charlotte’s (giving Ally an bit of an advantage at directing the ball) or something similar I don’t know.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:57 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:48 am

I genuinely think Charlotte saying “she has it” meant that the ball was sitting in the sticks in such a way that gave Ally a slight advantage at directing it. Whether it’s something like the bottom corner of Mastroianni’s head sitting just above Charlotte’s (giving Ally an bit of an advantage at directing the ball) or something similar I don’t know.

Okay...what other Center of the Final Four teams said anything? What did they say and what did it mean? I have been around long enough and I have seen some great DS, but I really can't remember hearing them shout out "signals". Maybe some of what Charlotte did was real, but I think she was doing most times to throw off whomever was Drawing against her.
njbill

Post by njbill »

When Peyton retired, he told us what Omaha meant. Now that Charlotte is retired, maybe she can tell us what she meant.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”