2022 Tewaaraton Finalists

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Can Opener

Re: 2022 Tewaaraton Finalists

Post by Can Opener »

njbill wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:08 pm Uh oh. I see someone opened the can.

Actually, I think it comes down to Mastroianni and Ortega, but then you were never very good at getting into my head.

The Tewaaraton Award goes to a player on the national champion the large majority of the time, as it did last year. Going into the final four last year, Ortega was the favorite. Not because she’d had an appreciably better year than Scane or North, but because her team was favored to win. North’s team won. She got the award. After all the confetti had settled last year, she deserved to win the Tewy.

But this year is a different year. UNC is again favored to win, which makes Ortega and Mastroianni favorites (slight edge to Ortega). If UNC wins the natty, one of those two will win the Tewaaraton. Is that an absolute 100% lock certainty? No, but it is easily the most likely outcome.

I disagree with your scenarios. I think that if BC loses anywhere along the way – quarters, semis, finals – and if UNC wins, one of the UNC players will win the Tewaaraton. North would be a real longshot. But longshots do win once in a blue moon. Look at the Derby.

If BC wins out and Ortega/ Mastroianni has a good tournament (including UNC making the finals), I give North and Ortega/ Mastroianni even odds (unless North has a bad tourney in which case Ortega/ Mastroianni wins). If Ortega/ Mastroianni don’t play well and North does, North wins.

If Md. wins, and Cordingly has a good tournament, I think she wins the T.

Same with Tyrrell and Syracuse.

Last year the intangible momentum was with North. This year it is with Ortega. I understand you may not see that as you don’t really follow women’s lacrosse.

If I were you, I’d take a long, hard look at this screaming tea leaf: Oretga was voted ACC attacker of the year, not North.

Don’t think your national team point has any merit. Different selectors. Different criteria. Also the entire 2022 season has taken place after the national team was selected. And have you forgotten Mastroianni is on the national team? I guess that gives her a leg up in your book.

You aren’t going to like hearing this, and you’ll call me a hater of course, but North has not had as good a year this year as last. Her goal production (her raison d’etre) is down 25% (yes, the season isn’t over). Why? Partly because she has been hurt in the latter part of the season (as Ortega was last year). Partly it’s because BC doesn’t need her to score quite as much since Medjid had a standout year and Smith is continuing to emerge as a top national player. Partly other teams have gotten better at defending her. And lastly goalies now see her shots better and have adjusted somewhat to her shot speed.

Other North stats (comparing 2022 to 2021) pretty much cancel each other out (some up, some down): assists (19/12); GBs (5/11); TOs (31/34); CTs (1/6); DCs (123/174). Oops, sorry, I’m being a hater again by quoting stats.

I think North has toned down her celebrations. I suspect someone (player or coach) on the national team talked to her about that. I have no problem with North celebrating a big goal in the final game, or even a goal in a regular season game against UNC. What I think people had problems with was her going nuts when she scored her fourth goal in a blowout win over Podunk U.

Bad teammate, good teammate, Duke cloud? None of that matters one whit to me.

I think what people are objecting to here is you calling them haters when they simply disagree with you about North or cite stats that are unfavorable to her. That’s not “hating.”

And it is hypocritical for you to claim others are “tearing North down” when they are simply citing stats or expressing opinions contrary to yours in light of the fact that you do exactly the same thing (cite stats favorable to North and unfavorable to the other candidates).
I basically agree with you on most of this. Of my four scenarios, if BC loses in the quarters or semis, CN will probably not win. We agree there. If BC loses to UNC in the championship game, I suppose it would take a pretty extraordinary game from North to get past the two Carolina women. Maybe I am being too optimistic there and should amend to a 30-40% probability. If BC wins it all, you'd say it's a pick 'em, where I'd give the edge to CN, of course assuming she has a reasonably strong performance. I say that in part because of a long history of the Tewy going to a player on the NC team. I think the politics and optics alone would make it difficult for the committee to shun North. Why would they break from tradition in a coin toss scenario to vote against the most recognized woman in college lacrosse? Yeah, I know, that's not substantive, but I think it reflects reality.

I don't know enough about the voting procedures to predict the possibility of AM and JO splitting the vote. If it were a one-time secret ballot, I have to believe that some amount of anti-North bias still exists and those voters could break in roughly even numbers for the two Carolina women. Purists who like three-way midfielders could potentially stick to their guns on AM, while people who like point production could go with JO. If, on the other hand, it is more of an open discussion like the tournament selection committee, it would be easier for those inclined to support UNC/oppose North to get a straw poll in advance of the final vote. For better or worse, there is not much transparency around the Tewaaraton process.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Batten down the hatches. The world must be about to tilt off its axis. I pretty much agree with everything you say. :o

In rereading what I wrote, I think I was wrong to make it a pick 'em if BC wins. If the Eagles win, yes, I think that makes North the favorite. Not necessarily a shoo-in, but the favorite. Final four performances by those in question could be important.

And just so you can't say I never say anything positive about North, congratulations to her on breaking the career goals record. Quite an accomplishment, one that should have gotten more mention on this board.

I also don't know much about the actual voting procedure by the Tewaaraton Committee. Our old friend, TL, seemed to, but he's been MIA. Maybe he'll return if Md. makes the Final Four. Hard to imagine he'd miss the legendary Maryland tailgates.

I'd imagine there is an open discussion amongst the Committee members. Sure hope so. I'd guess the Committee members know how each other votes, but I don't know. I'd like to see the final vote tally released as they do in other sports for similar types of awards. I understand why they won't tell us who voted for whom, but give us the raw numbers.

Splitting votes among candidates from the same school? Maybe but my guess is no. If I am on the Committee, I probably have a pretty firm view as to whom I am going to vote for. Don't think my view would be impacted by other candidates being from the same school. But who know?

BTW, just heard the NCAA announced that the score at the beginning of the game on Thursday will be Loyola 0 BC -1. :P Also heard the refs will be assigned to a fourth grade rec game this weekend but only if they can pass a vision test first.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

I don’t know if TL will return but I know he’s been seen at Maryland Games and is alive and well.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Can Opener wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:56 pm
tothedraw wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:49 am
The "this team is (fill in the blank) next year" is the antithesis of team sports. You never see one captain, there are multiple leaders on every team and each and every girl on a roster shares some of the load of making a team successful. Any player who thinks it's "her team" has an ego issue.
The one captain thing seems to be working pretty well for the Yale men.
https://yalebulldogs.com/news/2021/7/19 ... eason.aspx
Exceptional young man. Thank you for sharing.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Maryland75 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:01 pm I don’t know if TL will return but I know he’s been seen at Maryland Games and is alive and well.
Well, that's good to know. I was wondering what happened to him.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

With the Syracuse loss last night, the Tewaaraton is realistically down to four candidates. We all know that the committee overweights tournament performance, so those stats are very important, even though they represent a smaller sample size. Perhaps the most surprising stat is that Charlotte North leads all finalists in playoff assists. (Yes, you read that right.) She is also the leading goal scorer for the tournament and the season. I don’t think it’s worth arguing about who deserves to be ranked higher between North and Cordingly right now. That will be settled on the field next Friday when one woman will remain in contention and the other will likely be knocked out of the Tewy race. I am not seeing the case for Mastroianni even though she is a wonderful player and I admire the three-dimensional aspect of her game. Her offensive production numbers are just so much further behind the other candidates. Last night was a tough one for both players from Carolina trying to penetrate that zone and grit of Stony Brook. To me, Ortega didn’t look to be moving as well as she normally does. Hopefully it was just an off night and not an injury. I suppose the knocks on North so far could be her 4 TOs against Denver and a subpar DC performance last night.

Here are the stats and my ranking of the candidates if voting took place today:

North
13-8 win over Denver 4G 1A 80%SH 6DC 4TO
20-13 win over Loyola 3G 3A 75%SH 3DC 1TO
Tournament 7G 4A 78%SH 9DC 5TO
Season 82G 23A 53%SH 122DC 36TO

Ortega
24-2 win over UVA 4G 2A 80%SH 0DC 0TO
8-5 win over Stony Brook 0G 1A 33%SH 0DC 2TO
Tournament 4G 3A 50%SH 0DC 2TO
Season 64G 41A 53%SH 1DC 27TO

Cordingly
19-6 win over Duke 1G 1A 50%SH 0DC 2TO
18-5 win over Florida 3G 0A 75%SH 0DC 0TO
Tournament 4G 1A 67%SH 0DC 2TO
Season 66G 50A 58%SH 6DC 37TO

Mastroianni
24-2 win over UVA 3G 1A 100%SH 5DC 0TO
8-5 win over Stony Brook 0G 0A 0%SH 5DC 1TO
Tournament 3G 1A 60%SH 10DC 1TO
Season 43G 9A 51%SH 126DC 13TO
Bart

Post by Bart »

Can Opener wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:08 am With the Syracuse loss last night, the Tewaaraton is realistically down to four candidates. We all know that the committee overweights tournament performance, so those stats are very important, even though they represent a smaller sample size. Perhaps the most surprising stat is that Charlotte North leads all finalists in playoff assists. (Yes, you read that right.) She is also the leading goal scorer for the tournament and the season. I don’t think it’s worth arguing about who deserves to be ranked higher between North and Cordingly right now. That will be settled on the field next Friday when one woman will remain in contention and the other will likely be knocked out of the Tewy race. I am not seeing the case for Mastroianni even though she is a wonderful player and I admire the three-dimensional aspect of her game. Her offensive production numbers are just so much further behind the other candidates. Last night was a tough one for both players from Carolina trying to penetrate that zone and grit of Stony Brook. To me, Ortega didn’t look to be moving as well as she normally does. Hopefully it was just an off night and not an injury. I suppose the knocks on North so far could be her 4 TOs against Denver and a subpar DC performance last night.

Here are the stats and my ranking of the candidates if voting took place today:

North
Tournament 7G 4A 78%SH 9DC 5TO
Season 82G 23A 53%SH 122DC 36TO

Ortega
8-5 win over Stony Brook 0G 1A 33%SH 0DC 2TO
Tournament 4G 3A 50%SH 0DC 2TO
Season 64G 41A 53%SH 1DC 27TO

Cordingly
Tournament 4G 1A 67%SH 0DC 2TO
Season 66G 50A 58%SH 6DC 37TO

Mastroianni
Tournament 3G 1A 60%SH 10DC 1TO
Season 43G 9A 51%SH 126DC 13TO
And this is the problem with how many view the award (bolded) currently. Is this award for offensive production or for the best player in lacrosse. I would argue that Ms. Matroianni's largest assets for the award is the ability to play both ends of the field as well as her work between the 30's. A total player. Will she win it? I highly doubt it but in the past the two way middie got the nod. I do not think so this year.

Now as for your stats, nice work. Compelling stuff. Again if this award is for purely offensive production then that is all we need. But you put draw controls on the list so you may want to consider other factors as well, like CT's and GB's. Measures, imo, of the completeness of a players game. In that sense, over the Tournament Ms. Ortega has 4 gb, and 1 ct to Ms Norths 1 gb and 1 CT.

It may just end up being to the winner go the spoils..........
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

The last two middies to win with fewer than 60 goals on the season were Zoe Stukenberg in 2017 and Katie Schwartmann in 2013. Stukenberg had 53 goals and 31 assists. Schwarzmann had 58 goals and 27 assists. It would be a big break with precedent for the committee to go with a middie with fewer than 60 goals and fewer than 20 assists. I'm not saying that's right, but just trying to be realistic. It's kinda like the argument about ND making the men's tournament -- they were probably a better team than Harvard, but the committee didn't think ND had the numbers to back it up.

BTW, Taylor Moreno is probably the UNC tournament MVP so far. She was crazy good last night. 10 saves in a close game is obviously huge.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Bart wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:55 am It may just end up being to the winner go the spoils..........
100%
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Wow. What a day of women’s college lacrosse. Congrats to all of the athletes on some epic performances and amazing/heartbreaking comeback wins.

With the Maryland loss, the Tewaaraton is realistically down to three candidates who will all compete tomorrow. If BC wins, barring a truly legendary performance by JO or AM, North will win the Tewy. Even if she goes something like 2G 0A on 33% shooting, her performance in the season and the tournament will be enough to earn her a second consecutive Tewaaraton and the third in four seasons for BC. North provided plenty of “eye test” material yesterday in addition to six goals in BC’s upset win over #2 seed Maryland that was 19-1 coming into the game.

The much more interesting scenario is what happens if UNC wins a relatively close game. Barring something extraordinary from AM, I just don’t see the award going to her. She is a wonderful athlete who played her heart out yesterday, but she would have the lowest offensive numbers ever to win the award. JO, on the other hand, would be a safe pick for the committee if she has a big day tomorrow, even though she will likely finish the season and the tournament with significantly less impressive offensive numbers than CN and no draw control impact. The really fascinating case is if JO goes something like 1G 2A while North goes 4G 1A. That would give CN more than double the tournament goals of JO along with the DC advantage, while being roughly even in all other stats. In that case, North wins in a tight vote. JO would finish with 20 fewer goals on the season with a postseason resume that lacks a signature performance. She was rather quiet in the Carolina comeback yesterday while North willed her team to victory, scoring two of the team’s last three goals and adding a hockey assist on the game winner with 18 seconds left. She then won the draw control to seal the victory.

Here are the updated stats for the tournament and the season and my ranking of the candidates if voting took place today:

North
17-16 win over Maryland 6G 0A 67%SH 5DC 0TO
Tournament 13G 4A 72%SH 14DC 5TO
Season 88G 23A 54%SH 137DC 36TO

Ortega
8-5 win over Stony Brook 0G 1A 0%SH 0DC 2TO
15-14 win over Northwestern 3G 3A 33%SH 0DC 3TO
Tournament 7G 6A 41%SH 0DC 5TO
Season 67G 44A 51%SH 1DC 30TO

Mastroianni
15-14 win over Northwestern 3G 0A 33%SH 4DC 2TO
Tournament 6G 1A 43%SH 14DC 3TO
Season 46G 9A 49%SH 130DC 15TO

Cordingly
16-17 loss to BC 1G 1A 33%SH 1DC 3TO
Tournament 5G 2A 56%SH 1DC 5TO
Season 67G 51A 58%SH 7DC 40TO
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

This is really just my opinion and not based on much fact, but I think this year, in order for the finalist on the losing team to have a chance at winning the award:

- they will need to have incredible game and put up big numbers
- the finalist(s) on the winning team will have to simultaneously have a pretty quiet game

I could just be misremembering how much emphasis the committee puts on the winner being on the national championship team, but like I said, this is really almost pure opinion.

Can Opener wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:59 am She was rather quiet in the Carolina comeback yesterday while North willed her team to victory, scoring two of the team’s last three goals and adding a hockey assist on the game winner with 18 seconds left. She then won the draw control to seal the victory.
JO had one of the quietest 3g 3a performances I've seen. She had 2g and 2a in the final 21 minutes of the game including a goal to make it 14-9 with 8:15 left and assisted SRG to make it 14-11 at the 5:00. From there it was all Geiersbach, but Ortega (along with most of the team) shot well below their usual standard. BTW that was Schleicher that won the DC to seal the victory, wasn't it?
Last edited by wlaxphan20 on Sat May 28, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:18 am This is really just my opinion and not based on much fact, but I think this year, in order for the finalist on the losing team to have a chance at winning the award:

- the finalist(s) on the winning team will have to simultaneously have a pretty quiet game

I could just be misremembering how much emphasis the committee puts on the winner being on the national championship team, but like I said, this is really almost pure opinion.

BTW that was Schleicher that won the DC to seal the victory
You are correct, Schleicher got the ball, but North took the DC. This has been a pet peeve of mine for some time. DCs should be recorded as in men’s lacrosse where the person taking the draw/FO gets the win if their team gains control. That is a more accurate portrayal of DC success.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Can Opener wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:23 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:18 am This is really just my opinion and not based on much fact, but I think this year, in order for the finalist on the losing team to have a chance at winning the award:

BTW that was Schleicher that won the DC to seal the victory
You are correct, Schleicher got the ball, but North took the DC. This has been a pet peeve of mine for some time. DCs should be recorded as in men’s lacrosse where the person taking the draw/FO gets the win if their team gains control. That is a more accurate portrayal of DC success.
I had no idea it was recorded like that in the men's game. I think the logic is that, once the ball is in the air - it is essentially a 50/50 ball. I think we have it scored the right way. Schleicher hustled her butt off to grab 8 DC's and most, if not all, of them were contested. There's no way North should get the credit for those over Schleicher IMO
Bart

Post by Bart »

Can Opener wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:59 am JO, on the other hand, would be a safe pick for the committee if she has a big day tomorrow, even though she will likely finish the season and the tournament with significantly less impressive offensive numbers than CN and no draw control impact.
This is always interesting to me how you put this. Did assists just somehow stop being an offensive number? Right now Ms North and Ms Ortega have equal number of points, 111. With Ms.Ortega having almost double the number of assists. This is not for the best scorer, if that is the case it would go to Ms. Hormes of High Point. Ms North certainly makes her point on the DC but you always seems to forget GB's and CT's stats of the complete player IMO. While neither player is lights out in either category Ms Ortega has better numbers of both.

So While your various scenarios are interesting, IMO the winner of the tournament gets the award between the two in question.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Can Opener wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:59 am She was rather quiet in the Carolina comeback yesterday while North willed her team to victory, scoring two of the team’s last three goals and adding a hockey assist on the game winner with 18 seconds left. She then won the draw control to seal the victory.
JO had one of the quietest 3g 3a performances I've seen. She had 2g and 2a in the final 21 minutes of the game including a goal to make it 14-9 with 8:15 left and assisted SRG to make it 14-11 at the 5:00. From there it was all Geiersbach, but Ortega (along with most of the team) shot well below their usual standard. BTW that was Schleicher that won the DC to seal the victory, wasn't it?
Geisbach had the weakest defender on her and was told keep shooting on her . Hence why ortega and others were not shooting at the end.
njbill

Post by njbill »

CO is North's father AND publicist. :lol:
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:05 am

Geisbach had the weakest defender on her and was told keep shooting on her . Hence why ortega and others were not shooting at the end.
As she should have
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Bart wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:52 am
Can Opener wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:59 am JO, on the other hand, would be a safe pick for the committee if she has a big day tomorrow, even though she will likely finish the season and the tournament with significantly less impressive offensive numbers than CN and no draw control impact.
This is always interesting to me how you put this. Did assists just somehow stop being an offensive number? Right now Ms North and Ms Ortega have equal number of points, 111. With Ms.Ortega having almost double the number of assists. This is not for the best scorer, if that is the case it would go to Ms. Hormes of High Point. Ms North certainly makes her point on the DC but you always seems to forget GB's and CT's stats of the complete player IMO. While neither player is lights out in either category Ms Ortega has better numbers of both.

So While your various scenarios are interesting, IMO the winner of the tournament gets the award between the two in question.
Lol I know ….it’s always only about the goals! there is so much more that goes into it, assists, yes DC, gb, CT, but there is all the other off ball movement like the ride which JO is pretty good at. Lots of components should go into the decision. Not sure if it does …
Last edited by Laxfan500 on Sat May 28, 2022 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
njbill

Post by njbill »

If the Tewaaraton were just an offensive stat-driven award, North would not have been a finalist. These stats are from a week after the finalists were announced. North is 7th in points, the most important offensive stat. She is well down the list in GPG, APG, and assists. The only stat in which she's in the top five is goals.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=129&p=377455

So, CO, you are actually hurting North's case to say the T should go to the player with the best offensive stats.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:08 am

Lol I know ….it’s always only about the goals! there is so much more that goes into it, assists, yes DC, gb, CT, but there is all the other off ball movement like the ride which JO is pretty good at. Lots of complements should go into the decision. Not sure if it does …
Agreed. There is so much that goes into being the best lacrosse player in the nation. Not just goals. There is a whole second side to the game. To me, this is a stat line that clearly shows superiority on the field.

88g,41a,45 gb,37 TO, 31 CT,163 DC-----It is clear that this player has the complete game...while playing attack.

That being said, there is no one out there with this type of stat line. Either North or Ortega are deserving IMO.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”