Maryland 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Cooter

Re: Maryland 2019

Post by Cooter »

Sawyer is playing like an attackman on that video.

N.DeMaio appears to be redshirting this Spring, so he will probably be a freshman attackman in the fall.
The Terps have 4 other attackmen coming in next fall:
Danny Maltz
Ryan Siracusa
Jack Brennan
Dylan Pallonetti

- Siracusa, Pallonetti, and N.DeMaio are all lefties, and are somewhat stuck behind Wisnauskas, and thus will probably have to try to get time at midfield next fall.
- Sawyer, Maltz, and Brennan are righties and thus will be in the competition for Dubick's spot, along with trying for a midfield.

Pallonetti signing with the Terps, back in December still sort of surprises me. With Wisnauskas there another 2 seasons, it would seem that like Sawyer, they must be projecting Pallonetti as a midfielder also.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

DeMaio definitely has the edge on all incoming freshman with being able to already be in the program for this season. He's versatile, too, so I wonder where he might end up playing, especially, as you say, with Logan having 2 more years.

Siracusa and Maltz might be able to find the field running through the box. Both look like they can shoot from up top.

Brennan and Pallonetti need to add some size. That would be their biggest impediment to seeing the field next year at any position.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Wheels wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:16 pm DeMaio definitely has the edge on all incoming freshman with being able to already be in the program for this season. He's versatile, too, so I wonder where he might end up playing, especially, as you say, with Logan having 2 more years.

Siracusa and Maltz might be able to find the field running through the box. Both look like they can shoot from up top.

Brennan and Pallonetti need to add some size. That would be their biggest impediment to seeing the field next year at any position.
Brennan was listed at 6'2" last summer at the UA underclassmen games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VOv_XlLKO4
No problem with size, so the main question-mark for Brennan at midfield would be pure footspeed, the same as for N.DeMaio

D.Maltz also seems to be growing, particularly filling out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8X8BxVLVHE
IL has him at 5'11, looking at his highlight vieo he might be a little taller. He seems to be really crafty around the goal.

Siracusa is the shortest of the group. IL has him at 5'8'
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/2129
He looks fairly solid of frame.

I don't have any recent highlights of Pallonetti. Here is Ward Melville playing Niskayuna last summer:
http://www.news12varsity.com/m/cpRW8aql ... t=maPnLbmZ
Pallonetti is #34 in white. He seems to have average build and height, but he is pretty fast and has a big left-hand shot.

Watching the video, I think Pallonetti and Brennan look like guys who might do well at midfield. Pallonetti for his speed and getting his big shot out in front of the goal could be sweet. Brennan really does have the size for it. The match-up possibility of N.DeMaio on ssdms seems fruitful.
Live Free or Die!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

IL reporting For Maryland, midfielder Roman Puglise is “probable” for the game after exiting the game early in the Terps’ win against North Carolina, a Maryland spokesman said.
jimmywork

Post by jimmywork »

:shock:
molo

Post by molo »

Terps deserve credit for continuing to fight back after getting blitzed in the first quarter.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

molo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:20 pm Terps deserve credit for continuing to fight back after getting blitzed in the first quarter.

This was the opposite of how they have traditionally come out versus Penn State, where the Terps have gone on Q1 tears. Oh well, I think you might see these teams again. FO's continue to be a gnawing issue for the Terps against elite FOGO's. Obviously Tills has elected to play Austin much more this season versus Shockey, and the statistics bear that out. Occasionally though, a FOGO might be better situated against an Arceri and you should avoid just looking at stats; my belief is Justin would do well against Arceri.

I can not find the FO stats from last night other than Aceri won 18 of 26. Did Tills play Austin and Justin equally or just keep Austin in?
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

That wasn't the most creative offensive plan that the Terps have ever employed. One guy tries to beat his man while the other 5 watch. When that doesn't work, let someone else try. When no one can get it done, start over. Not much use of effective picking or the ball movement that the Terms usually do so well.

The defense was unable to stop PSU's ball movement and our off-ball defenders got caught ball watching multiple times. I wonder if they spend most of their practice time stopping dodging. Too many shots from in close.

EMO looked like a passing drill.

Winning 8 out of 26 faceoffs didn't help.

It wasn't a particularly "good loss" but perhaps, coming in March, it can be useful going forward.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:16 am
molo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:20 pm Terps deserve credit for continuing to fight back after getting blitzed in the first quarter.

This was the opposite of how they have traditionally come out versus Penn State, where the Terps have gone on Q1 tears. Oh well, I think you might see these teams again. FO's continue to be a gnawing issue for the Terps against elite FOGO's. Obviously Tills has elected to play Austin much more this season versus Shockey, and the statistics bear that out. Occasionally though, a FOGO might be better situated against an Arceri and you should avoid just looking at stats; my belief is Justin would do well against Arceri.

I can not find the FO stats from last night other than Aceri won 18 of 26. Did Tills play Austin and Justin equally or just keep Austin in?
Shockey 0-2
Henningsen 7-21
Janeck 1-3
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

First Quarter doomed the Terps. I also wonder if it would have been different if that first goal had not been wiped out.
There's something to momentum.
DMac

Post by DMac »

kramerica.inc wrote
First Quarter doomed the Terps.
Yup, there were a few teams bitten by the funk bug this past week end. Seemed as if they couldn't shake it til too late in the game.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

When the time comes for Coach Reppert to move on to the head coaching job at Navy, I'd be really surprised if Coach Tillman's first call isn't to John Haus. That offense for PSU is really hard to stop. It was really impressive to watch. It throws a defense's slide package out of whack. In previous games, PSU started their dodging more from X or GLE. They shifted the whole thing up to the midfield wings. When their middies beat our SSDMs, the first slide came but the second slide often did come or got hung up in the wash. Ament draws so much attention that his mere presence gets defenses jittery.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Haus and Bernhardt are best friends
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Maybe Tils goes to Navy?? And MD looks for a new leader.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Seahawk wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:04 am Maybe Tils goes to Navy?? And MD looks for a new leader.
Is that a pipe dream (of a Navy fan)?
Live Free or Die!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

For my money and a ton of other lax fans, the state of Maryland employs the three best college coaches in the game (and no offense to Coaches Danowski and Andy Shay). In order:

1. John Tillman UMD
2. Shawn Nadelin Towson
3. Charlie Toomey Loyola

All three coaches would enjoy maybe 1 hour of rest were they to be let go before they'd be hired at top dollar by any of fifty colleges.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Kind of a pipe dream of a casual fan, but I’m fully behind the Terps. That said, Tils has always expressed great respect for the players, school and mission of the Academy. If there was a vacancy, I’m sure he would be tempted since he is foremost a teacher, and his skills are desperately needed at USNA.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Did Navy already off to Tills and he stayed at Maryland
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Navy would really have to open the coffers up to land someone like Tillman. Reppert is a more likely candidate, and he'd be a phenomenal HC at Navy. I actually can't imagine that Reppert wouldn't end up there. This, of course, is predicated on Sowell's future. I don't know much about the dynamics at Navy, but I would venture to guess that the last 3 years (including this season) haven't met expectations in Annapolis.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”