UMD in a close one
39%
UVa in a close one
21%

Total votes: 87

CU77

Re: Virginia v Maryland

Post by CU77 »

Welcome laxmom19970! That's a great first post, and thank you for weighing in on this matter of great important to lax fans everywhere!

19970 = Delaware zip code?
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Laxmom19970 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:20 pm Saw Umd twice this season. Very hard to beat and I don’t think uva quite has it this year, but maybe an ivy can pull the upset!
I’ve enjoyed so many of your posts! Hours of entertainment, truly.
I see you’ve been enjoying the Hopkins thread.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

UVA has the best shooting performance in the history of the championship again and no reason they couldn’t win
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:24 pm UVA has the best shooting performance in the history of the championship again and no reason they couldn’t win
Right? People keep forgetting UVa shot 44%. And there were alot of contested and tough shots in that mix. Fabulous performance.
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

If I'm Lars, this is my motivational speech. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9mf3Bypyk8[/youtube]
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Laxmom19970 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:20 pm I don’t know much about lacrosse but if you wanted to compare Ivy beer to BIG10 beer, spotted cow at UWisconsin kicks the lax bro out of flower power, which I do like, but no contest. I spent lots of hours at creekers and Ithaca brewing co, as well as at many establishments in Madison, so I feel I can speak with authority. As for the games, hmmm. Saw Umd twice this season. Very hard to beat and I don’t think uva quite has it this year, but maybe an ivy can pull the upset!
Spotted Cow huh? I will try to find it as we have many stores that carry a wide range of the crafts. Another one I really like is LAGUNITAS, that I believe is from the Chicago area. The local tavern, the Dryden Hotel, has Lagunitas on tap. Great beer.
Thanks, sometimes I get carried away but glad you enjoy my posts.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Laxmom19970 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:20 pm I don’t know much about lacrosse but if you wanted to compare Ivy beer to BIG10 beer, spotted cow at UWisconsin kicks the lax bro out of flower power, which I do like, but no contest. I spent lots of hours at creekers and Ithaca brewing co, as well as at many establishments in Madison, so I feel I can speak with authority. As for the games, hmmm. Saw Umd twice this season. Very hard to beat and I don’t think uva quite has it this year, but maybe an ivy can pull the upset!
Strangely, the America East wins the beer war:

https://www.lawsonsfinest.com/

Maryland in a close one. LaSalla and Nunes play well to keep it close. Something like 16-14.
AOD

Post by AOD »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:49 am Another one I really like is LAGUNITAS, that I believe is from the Chicago area.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
From Marin County, CA. Currently managed out of Sonoma County, CA. Now a subsidiary of Heineken. They do have a brewery in the Chicago area.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

AOD wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:26 am
joewillie78 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:49 am Another one I really like is LAGUNITAS, that I believe is from the Chicago area.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
From Marin County, CA. Currently managed out of Sonoma County, CA. Now a subsidiary of Heineken. They do have a brewery in the Chicago area.
Ahh, thanks as the cans always list Chicago. The regular Lagunitas is great BUT they also have a HIGH TEST called Maxximus that is really good and about 10% ABV.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:24 pm UVA has the best shooting performance in the history of the championship again and no reason they couldn’t win

I think everyone thinks the Wahoos can win this weekend. Notwithstanding the previous Maryland rout, I’m surprised the betting spread is high. I’d have this game as a push, with one caveat below. Virginia will be motivated.

The only thing I see favoring a higher betting spread than basic talent differential is if the Hoos become unraveled defensively; they might spend significant time in the box if the refs call the game fairly. And if they find themselves in a hole, watch them get even more chippy circling down the drain. One unsportsmanlike penalty by the Hoos, and I think their wheels come off. And their defense is more than capable of an unsportsmanlike, as seen in the previous game (though never called).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:55 am

I think everyone thinks the Wahoos can win this weekend. Notwithstanding the previous Maryland rout, I’m surprised the betting spread is high. I’d have this game as a push, with one caveat below. Virginia will be motivated.

The only thing I see favoring a higher betting spread than basic talent differential is if the Hoos become unraveled defensively; they might spend significant time in the box if the refs call the game fairly. And if they find themselves in a hole, watch them get even more chippy circling down the drain. One unsportsmanlike penalty by the Hoos, and I think their wheels come off. And their defense is more than capable of an unsportsmanlike, as seen in the previous game (though never called).
petey doesn't like hits.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

One of the underrated aspects of what led to the blowout win at Audi was UVA's turnovers (16 on the day to MD's 11). It's not just that LaSalla needs to play better, he does. It's that the entire team needs to take better care of the ball. With a +11 edge at the FOGO and +5 in turnovers, the Terps had too many possessions against a UVA back-end that has the following metrics:

UVA's opponent-adjusted defense ranks 31st in the nation. Their opponent-adjusted save percentage is 49%, 52nd in the nation.

UVA needs more out of its midfield on both ends. The Terps got 9 goals out their two midfield lines, 2 from Puglise, and 2 from long poles in transition.

UVA can't get dominated in the middle of the field like that again.

Interestingly enough, MD hit pretty much its season averages against UVA on things like shooting, shots on goal, turnovers, and efficiency, so it wasn't an atypical performance for Maryland. MD's opponent-adjusted defensive efficiency is up to #2 in the nation, and all of the sudden, Logan McNaney's save percentage (55%) is up to 11th in the nation. So the Terps have the best offense and face-off games and second best defensive. That's pretty impressive.

I'd expect some regression to the mean on scoring for both teams, so something of an 18-16 kind of game could be in the offing. Which would be fun as hell to watch.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:25 am One of the underrated aspects of what led to the blowout win at Audi was UVA's turnovers (16 on the day to MD's 11). It's not just that LaSalla needs to play better, he does. It's that the entire team needs to take better care of the ball. With a +11 edge at the FOGO and +5 in turnovers, the Terps had too many possessions against a UVA back-end that has the following metrics:

UVA's opponent-adjusted defense ranks 31st in the nation. Their opponent-adjusted save percentage is 49%, 52nd in the nation.

UVA needs more out of its midfield on both ends. The Terps got 9 goals out their two midfield lines, 2 from Puglise, and 2 from long poles in transition.

UVA can't get dominated in the middle of the field like that again.

Interestingly enough, MD hit pretty much its season averages against UVA on things like shooting, shots on goal, turnovers, and efficiency, so it wasn't an atypical performance for Maryland. MD's opponent-adjusted defensive efficiency is up to #2 in the nation, and all of the sudden, Logan McNaney's save percentage (55%) is up to 11th in the nation. So the Terps have the best offense and face-off games and second best defensive. That's pretty impressive.

I'd expect some regression to the mean on scoring for both teams, so something of an 18-16 kind of game could be in the offing. Which would be fun as hell to watch.
That would indeed be a lot of fun!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:07 am

petey doesn't like hits.

Clean versus dirty.

I saw two late hits on Khan which weren’t called and one on Pugliese, after they scored. The Terp kids are tough and don’t complain, but some refs would have sent the Hoo’s to the box for unreleasables.

And not that I see a ton of UVA games, but their defense looked out of control at times, wildly swinging their sticks. One of your guys slashed Khan on his calf and it wasn’t called. Eventually that’ll catch up to you.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

UMD is the better team. A UVA win will be an upset.

The way I see it:
- if UVA is the winner, it will be in a very close game (Petey, Nunes and the 2nd Midfield will have all stepped up big time)
- if UMD is the winner, they probably win by 7 or more goals (and in that situation, my guess is that MD's offense has gotten our defense to start sliding - and the UMD ball movement burns our 2nd or 3rd slide).

Should be a great game - too bad it isn't taking place on Mem Day Weekend.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

If UVa wins, I think they need great goalie play. Nunes hasn't been consistent, but I'm pretty sure that kid has a 20 save performance in him somewhere. But then again, he could probably have 5.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:46 am

petey doesn't like hits.

Clean versus dirty.

I saw two late hits on Khan which weren’t called and one on Pugliese, after they scored. The Terp kids are tough and don’t complain, but some refs would have sent the Hoo’s to the box for unreleasables.

And not that I see a ton of UVA games, but their defense looked out of control at times, wildly swinging their sticks. One of your guys slashed Khan on his calf and it wasn’t called. Eventually that’ll catch up to you.
khan goals you're talking about are at beginning of game and 7.18 of the 3rd.

you're gonna be sorely disappointed if you think those are getting called in an nc$$ tourn game. or maybe even a high school game. pugliese wasn't touched on either goal. at 6.48 of the 4th, macintosh is hit helmet to helmet after he was ducking some to take a shot. didn't look menacing and not purposeful probably given macintosh going lower so wasn't called.

i'm sure maryland will be fine to strap it up.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

nyjay wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:10 am If UVa wins, I think they need great goalie play. Nunes hasn't been consistent, but I'm pretty sure that kid has a 20 save performance in him somewhere. But then again, he could probably have 5.
If he's having to make 20 saves, it's probably a really bad sign for UVA. It means the Terps will be getting a lot of shots off, which means that they're getting the ball a lot.

People point to the ND and OSU games as the examples of how to keep games close against MD. Personally, I think the Princeton game was the game that showed what it takes to beat MD. Princeton got crushed at the face-off X, but that was the game where they literally had one FOGO show up a couple of hours before the game after testing negative for COVID. Their top two FOGOs didn't play. Princeton's two athletic close defenders (Baughan and Finlay) made life hard on Khan and Malever. Billings then did a good job on Wisnauskas. But Princeton's defensive and two-way midfield also had the athletes to hang with MD's midfield. Peters had like 20 saves in that game, and he's a super athletic goalie like Nunes is. Princeton just couldn't get the ball enough. Their top 6 on offense played really well, too. They just didn't have the depth. But their game plan was really good.

UVA's offense doesn't run side-to-side like OSU's, but it has some similarities in terms of interior and off-ball cuts. Shellenberger is really too good to ever hold down. He could go for 4 and 4 on Sunday and it wouldn't surprise anyone. It's whether or not the Terps can limit the other pieces. If Moore isn't 100%, that's going to be a big deal.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:16 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:46 am

petey doesn't like hits.

Clean versus dirty.

khan goals you're talking about are at beginning of game and 7.18 of the 3rd.

you're gonna be sorely disappointed if you think those are getting called in an nc$$ tourn game. or maybe even a high school game. pugliese wasn't touched on either goal. at 6.48 of the 4th, macintosh is hit helmet to helmet after he was ducking some to take a shot. didn't look menacing and not purposeful probably given macintosh going lower so wasn't called.

i'm sure maryland will be fine to strap it up.

I know. Those kids are tough, blue collar types who never complain.

The more I think about the Terps the more I like them. They’ve got guys like Maltz, Donville, Koras, Brennan, even Kelly, who aren’t on the field every offensive set. You’ve got Burlace on defense who rarely sees action. Tygh backup FOGO. And of course you have Morris as the backup goalie. They can lose any player and not skip a beat, which probably keeps everyone’s feet to the fire.

I like the culture Tillman has set. Fairman was the top recruit his senior year I believe, and he’s a defensive middie, happy to do his part to win.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:24 am
nyjay wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:10 am If UVa wins, I think they need great goalie play. Nunes hasn't been consistent, but I'm pretty sure that kid has a 20 save performance in him somewhere. But then again, he could probably have 5.
If he's having to make 20 saves, it's probably a really bad sign for UVA. It means the Terps will be getting a lot of shots off, which means that they're getting the ball a lot.

People point to the ND and OSU games as the examples of how to keep games close against MD. Personally, I think the Princeton game was the game that showed what it takes to beat MD. Princeton got crushed at the face-off X, but that was the game where they literally had one FOGO show up a couple of hours before the game after testing negative for COVID. Their top two FOGOs didn't play. Princeton's two athletic close defenders (Baughan and Finlay) made life hard on Khan and Malever. Billings then did a good job on Wisnauskas. But Princeton's defensive and two-way midfield also had the athletes to hang with MD's midfield. Peters had like 20 saves in that game, and he's a super athletic goalie like Nunes is. Princeton just couldn't get the ball enough. Their top 6 on offense played really well, too. They just didn't have the depth. But their game plan was really good.

UVA's offense doesn't run side-to-side like OSU's, but it has some similarities in terms of interior and off-ball cuts. Shellenberger is really too good to ever hold down. He could go for 4 and 4 on Sunday and it wouldn't surprise anyone. It's whether or not the Terps can limit the other pieces. If Moore isn't 100%, that's going to be a big deal.
Of course it's a bad sign, but I think that's probably what's going to happen, given how these teams play. First game, Nunes had 14 saves on 34 shots. Flip that and give him 20 saves instead? Now we got a ball game. Let's put it this way, if McNaney ends up with more saves than Nunes, I don't think UVA has any chance at all.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”