NCAC 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Nosey Ned

Re: NCAC 2022

Post by Nosey Ned »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:17 am I guess technically you're right that I didn't recognize the accomplishment (nor did I diminish it). I just answered your question.

But if you want to get that technical, then look at what YOU said:

"You may not want to recognize the accomplishment but I would like to."

How do you know what I want or don't want? (That might me putting words in my mouth) I'm happy to recognize the accomplishment. It was a good win, and not at all a shocker to me. Having seen both of these teams in the last two weeks, I expected it to be a good game. In fact, I had this conversation with some OWU fathers this past week, and they too acknowledged that Kenyon's speed and quickness might give them some troubles.

ah23 - thank you for some reason and for recognizing an extremely neutral comment for what it was.
White, I'm going to get "technical" on you again (AKA truthful) so my apologies up front, but I never purported to know what you wanted. I actually wrote "You MAY not want ..... " - meaning possibly, meaning I don't know your intentions, meaning perhaps.

Funny the written word. Both what you actually write and what you claim to have written but actually hadn't. Both can be checked very easily.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

OldWU wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:20 am Special Kudos to the Oberlin lacrosse program, Coach Ryan Polack and his staff, and the upperclassmen on the team. The Yeomen had their best season in over sixty years, going 12-4 overall, 6-3 in the NCAC and are entering the NCAC lacrosse championship tournament for the first time. This is really extraordinary considering Oberlin barely competed the last two COVID seasons, playing just three games last year and avoiding the NCAC division schedule due to school policy, and only four in 2020. In my opinion, Polak deserves to be NCAC Coach of the Year, though Coach Koch of Denison will probably get it due to the great season the Big Red have had, and the tough task of replacing a legendary coach in Mike Caravana.

https://goyeo.com/news/2022/4/30/mens-l ... oster.aspx
Hey Old ... I respectfully will hold off on calling Coach Koch's first year great. At least to this point. They didn't win any of the games on their Maryland swing and had what IMO was a terrible loss to Grove City. That said, all their goals are still in front of them and it may well turn out to be a great first campaign but let's hold off on that just yet.

On the other hand I think you're correct in mentioning the Oberlin program and Coach Polack (and his Assts) as deserving of Coach of Year in the NCAC. He gets my vote at this point.

Question... do these individual awards (coaches and players) consider the full slate of games or just the in conference games?
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

Ned -- Many years ago (mid-70s) when I was a student working in SID office, the coach nominated their players they considered worthy and all the coaches had a vote. There was some 'horse-trading' before the final list came out. I'm guessing it is still a variation of that, but I don't know for sure.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

I'm sorry I ever tried to answer your question. OldWU, be careful. Your navigating in tricky waters.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

OldWU wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:26 pm Ned -- Many years ago (mid-70s) when I was a student working in SID office, the coach nominated their players they considered worthy and all the coaches had a vote. There was some 'horse-trading' before the final list came out. I'm guessing it is still a variation of that, but I don't know for sure.
Yes that is consistent with what I have known/heard regarding player awards. There is a meeting of all conference coaches and they debate the merits of the players that each has nominated from their team. And I guess there is a vote on each "candidate". However I've never gotten "intel" on how the coaching awards are decided. Perhaps the ADs do a similar get together for that seasons grouping of sports.
lordslaxfan

Post by lordslaxfan »

Strong win by the Lords today. I watched a bit of the game from my phone at work. I was pretty surprised when I checked in and Kenyon was up 5-0. Based on the stats, it looks like the Lords deserved to win the game by a wide margin and they did.

My optimistic take going into the last game of the season was that Kenyon would win one of two games against OWU. I never imagined Kenyon winning both games, and winning one game decisively. It is good to see them in the NCAC final for the first time (last year does not count).
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

Nice win by the Lords and good luck on Friday vs. Denison. Kenyon played them tough last year and hopefully can take the next step. Don't know what direction the Bishops are headed in, but the effort yesterday, with all their players, was poor. The turnovers, the disparity in ground balls, faceoffs, shots and shots on goal underscore what happened. The 12-6 score doesn't accurately reflect the dominant performance by the Lords.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

The NCAC Final is set. We have a repeat of last year’s Final as Denison hosts Kenyon. The Big Red better be ready to meet an emboldened Lords team fresh off a doubling up of OWU. Some probably thought last year’s appearance in the Final was a gift for the Lords due to the East West conference format, but this year’s version clearly have confirmed they belong. Congratulations to them and also Oberlin for a job well done this year.

I think the Big Red will carry the day but they better make quality shots early and not let the Kenyon goalkeeper be the spark that have the Lords thinking huge upset. Jump on them right out of the gate like last game, win the possession game again with solid play at the dot and on the wings leading to another advantage on GBs. If the Big Red win the “grit” stats again, they will wear down that Kenyon defense and by the end of the 3rd Q will have taken control of the game.

Denison win 15-9.

GO BIG RED
lordslaxfan

Post by lordslaxfan »

Well to the surprise of everyone including me, Kenyon goes into the half up by 1. I have not been able to watch the game, but the stats other than face offs looks pretty even.
grelch

Post by grelch »

I think Kenyon ran out of steam. They were so intense for the first 2 and a half qtrs that I think they drained the battery. Their ride was very intense and effective. Their defense didn’t allow any clean shots or passing lanes. Their physicality caused turnover after turnover. And for over half the game their goalie made some excellent saves. The Kenyon game plan to smother Denison worked for a long time. When the energy started flagging a little, Denison made their run and never looked back. Full props to the Lords effort today. The score line doesn’t really tell the full story.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

grelch wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:56 pm I think Kenyon ran out of steam. They were so intense for the first 2 and a half qtrs that I think they drained the battery. Their ride was very intense and effective. Their defense didn’t allow any clean shots or passing lanes. Their physicality caused turnover after turnover. And for over half the game their goalie made some excellent saves. The Kenyon game plan to smother Denison worked for a long time. When the energy started flagging a little, Denison made their run and never looked back. Full props to the Lords effort today. The score line doesn’t really tell the full story.
Yeah it did. The Big Red won the 2nd half 8-0 … the game was tight until the end of Q3 but by then you knew Denison had it as they were winning the “grit” stats and were pulling away. Final score 12-5. Great defensive second half by Denison shutting out the Lords. Way to go Red, good win!

Congratulations to Kenyon on an excellent season! Keep at it and they will continue to win more than their share of games.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Greetings Ned; Good day for both of us!

Still think Big Red makes a deep run in May but we probably don't meet in Gull Landia for the semis. Berkman let his guys drift concentrating on their individual #s then let CNU slap them into reality. Today hopefully back on track but obstacles remain.

Big Red is roaring with Big Mike's guys. They'll avenge the loss with Grove City in the NCAAs but may hit a wall thereafter IMO but hope otherwise. Those 25EEE red cleats on the sideline are growing bigger by the day. Coach C on the sidelines (in) May pull the boys through so we'll see.
Stay safe.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

MrLax2U wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:39 pm Greetings Ned; Good day for both of us!

Still think Big Red makes a deep run in May but we probably don't meet in Gull Landia for the semis. Berkman let his guys drift concentrating on their individual #s then let CNU slap them into reality. Today hopefully back on track but obstacles remain.

Big Red is roaring with Big Mike's guys. They'll avenge the loss with Grove City in the NCAAs but may hit a wall thereafter IMO but hope otherwise. Those 25EEE red cleats on the sideline are growing bigger by the day. Coach C on the sidelines (in) May pull the boys through so we'll see.
Stay safe.
Hello there MrLax. Yes happy for both teams. Anyone that dosen't respect Coach Berkman's ability to adjust after seeing a team once, does so at their own peril! He's the greatest coach the Division has seen. If I'm being honest, I too doubt we make the much anticipated drive to the beautiful Eastern shore this May for another Final Four matchup but let's see the bracket... perhaps the Quarters?

Stay well and best of luck to the Gulls!
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

Wooster open??
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

Sorry Lordslaxfan, Kenyon has changed mascots....gone are The LORDS, welcome the OWLS....why? see student paper link...

https://www.kenyon.edu/kenyons-athletic ... 20Farewell.

https://kenyoncollegian.com/opinion/202 ... ascot-now/
Last edited by OldWU on Tue May 10, 2022 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ergit

Post by ergit »

OldWU wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:40 am Sorry Lordslaxfan, Kenyon has changed mascots....gone are The LORDS, welcome the OWLs....why? see student paper link...

I’ll take Owls over Lords any day.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

OldWU wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:40 am Sorry Lordslaxfan, Kenyon has changed mascots....gone are The LORDS, welcome the OWLs....why? see student paper link...

An excerpt-
“…The Lords and Ladies represent a rigid gender binary that does not accurately reflect the Kenyon community and the multiple identities within it. Nonbinary students, and student-athletes in particular, are forced to be identified by a name that is at least problematic and at most transphobic.
Similarly, the Lords and Ladies moniker is classist in its assumption of the types of people that go to Kenyon. Lords and ladies are synonymous with aristocracy, and even though the titles are not part of our modern society, their usage still recalls the age-old association between lords and ladies and upper-class sensibilities…”
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

I got no 'dog' in this Mascot discussion, so I'm fine with the Owls. It's just a little dull for a creative place like Kenyon. I assume some of the 6,000+ entries included some good ones like Purple Haze, Purple Rain and Purple People Eaters (a non-binary gender homage to the 50's hit by Sheb Wooley). Or maybe something like the New People (a non-binary homage to famous Kenyon alum Paul Newman). Or maybe the Village People, since Gambier is a bucolic village setting....
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Hmmm, Purple People Eaters were also the Minnesota Vikings' defensive linemen of a certain era.

True, they might have been more daring than Owls; but as a haughty-sounding remnant from Kenyon's days as an all-male college, "Lords" definitely needed to be replaced.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Ahh ... things are a little different in Kentucky, where the Louisville Collegiate Titans and Amazons can peacefully coexist!

I'm sorry, did I say that out loud? Maybe I should change out of my Wabash shirt and just sit this one out.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”