FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by wgdsr »

Lax3 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:09 pm Was having some fun with Quint and the Ivy/ACC ratings this weekend - Quint's bias as its absolute best or worst!

UVA – Quint 3, RPI 7
ND – Quint 4, RPI 13
Duke – Quint 5, RPI 10
Princeton – Quint 6, RPI 2
Yale – Quint 7, RPI 4
Penn – Quint 12, RPI 5

Never has his bias been worse than this year, when the Ivies are playing well. What a torture this season must be to our boy Quint!
he probably steals most of his stuff from laxnumbers.

https://www.laxnumbers.com/ratings.php?y=2022&v=401

did the committee give another top 10? i never saw a link to the first one.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

rolldodge wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:00 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:47 pm
laxguywm wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:28 pm RU upsets MD in the BIG final ( MD still gets the 1 seed ) and Brown wins the ILT
1-MD
2-GT
3-RU
4-BROWN
If Rutgers were to upset Md in the B1G tourney, they are the number 2 seed. That would be by far the biggest win of the year of any program. It wouldn't matter what happens in the Big East or Ivy.

There is a lot of lacrosse to play prior to that happening though.
I haven't run the numbers (ask Lacrosse Reference for that) but I don't think that if RU (currently 6 RPI) wins the B1G tournament they would be able to pass an IL Champ Princeton in RPI. Maybe not even a Big East champ GU. It would require a deviation from the usual formula to highly value "big wins". However, even in this scenario, the usual MO for the committee is to consider "big wins" as top 5 RPI wins. They don't give any specific value to beating #1, or "biggest win of the year" -- which is not to say they couldn't ... they can use any criteria they want.
crazy next 2 weeks. if ru loses their semi, i wonder if they make the rpi cutline? i'd think they probably would if it's vs. tosu.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

laxguywm wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:28 pm RU upsets MD in the BIG final ( MD still gets the 1 seed ) and Brown wins the ILT
1-MD
2-GT
3-RU
4-BROWN
I love your optimism. I hope you are not betting money unless you have amazing odds.
GSP

Post by GSP »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:31 pm
Lax3 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:09 pm Was having some fun with Quint and the Ivy/ACC ratings this weekend - Quint's bias as its absolute best or worst!

UVA – Quint 3, RPI 7
ND – Quint 4, RPI 13
Duke – Quint 5, RPI 10
Yale – Quint 7, RPI 4
Penn – Quint 12, RPI 5

Never has his bias been worse than this year, when the Ivies are playing well. What a torture this season must be to our boy Quint!

I would be very careful in accusing Quint or anyone else of bias, in that, in a mere 5 weeks, the actual "truth" will be determined. RPI is a notoriously unreliable measuring device. Talk is exceedingly cheap and accusations based upon opinion rather than evidence are the province of children.
Vegas makes a very good living separating fact from expert opinions. College lacrosse is a game whose limited number of regular season games along with the white noise generated by the required scheduling of conference opponents makes accurate predictions of future outcomes extremely unreliable.
That's why they play the games. The truth will out.
nms

Post by nms »

GSP wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:42 pm

UVA – Quint 3, RPI 7
ND – Quint 4, RPI 13
Duke – Quint 5, RPI 10
Yale – Quint 7, RPI 4
Penn – Quint 12, RPI 5

I would be very careful in accusing Quint or anyone else of bias, in that, in a mere 5 weeks, the actual "truth" will be determined. RPI is a notoriously unreliable measuring device. Talk is exceedingly cheap and accusations based upon opinion rather than evidence are the province of children.
Vegas makes a very good living separating fact from expert opinions. College lacrosse is a game whose limited number of regular season games along with the white noise generated by the required scheduling of conference opponents makes accurate predictions of future outcomes extremely unreliable.
After several years of strict adherence to RPI, which benefited the ACC, any deviation away from that which would benefit the ACC is evidence of bias, and the only "truth" that would be revealed is that the selection committee shares the same bias as Quint.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

nms wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:20 pm

UVA – Quint 3, RPI 7
ND – Quint 4, RPI 13
Duke – Quint 5, RPI 10
Yale – Quint 7, RPI 4
Penn – Quint 12, RPI 5

After several years of strict adherence to RPI, which benefited the ACC, any deviation away from that which would benefit the ACC is evidence of bias, and the only "truth" that would be revealed is that the selection committee shares the same bias as Quint.
Another poster believes it’s just evidence that the ACC is just always better.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

nms wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:20 pm

UVA – Quint 3, RPI 7
ND – Quint 4, RPI 13
Duke – Quint 5, RPI 10
Yale – Quint 7, RPI 4
Penn – Quint 12, RPI 5

the flipside is also "true". if it's straight rpi, no one from the ivy will be allowed to claim acc bias ever again.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:37 pm the flipside is also "true". if it's straight rpi, no one from the ivy will be allowed to claim acc bias ever again.
It might be that the committee has little choice.

In the (admittedly not entirely likely, but certainly possible) scenario that Cornell and Harvard win this weekend, then the two edge cases have played themselves into the ILT and would be hovering right around/better than Duke and ND. I'm not sure what the ILT results do to either team's RPI, but in that scenario, the committee will be hard pressed to leave out a Cornell team that beat both Princeton (a lock) and Yale (a near-lock) and that made it to the ILT over both of those teams; same for Harvard.

I'd love to see the committee sweat that one out.

That said, a more likely scenario is that Cornell and/or Harvard loses, and whichever (or both) does is likely out.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

ICGrad wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:57 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:37 pm the flipside is also "true". if it's straight rpi, no one from the ivy will be allowed to claim acc bias ever again.

In the (admittedly not entirely likely, but certainly possible) scenario that Cornell and Harvard win this weekend, then the two edge cases have played themselves into the ILT and would be hovering right around/better than Duke and ND. I'm not sure what the ILT results do to either team's RPI, but in that scenario, the committee will be hard pressed to leave out a Cornell team that beat both Princeton (a lock) and Yale (a near-lock) and that made it to the ILT over both of those teams; same for Harvard.

That said, a more likely scenario is that Cornell and/or Harvard loses, and whichever (or both) does is likely out.
You know the committee is absolutely praying that BOTH Cornell and Harvard lose and then they can easily give their 4 slots to Penn, Yale, Brown and Princeton.

If the opposite occurs but both Cornell and Harvard LOSE in the ILT, then the committee would be forced to take 4 teams of which 2 didn't even make the ILT over 2 teams that did.

Look, we Cornell fans are used to getting screwed by the committee, so let's just hope that Princeton kicks our butt Saturday, and then we can all go to the Fall Creek House, and drown our sorrows while toasting the committee for sticking it to us again, all the while wondering why we ever thought the selection process might by some miracle be fair to the Ivy League.
Sorry about my Cynicism.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:50 pm

You know the committee is absolutely praying that BOTH Cornell and Harvard lose and then they can easily give their 4 slots to Penn, Yale, Brown and Princeton.

If the opposite occurs but both Cornell and Harvard LOSE in the ILT, then the committee would be forced to take 4 teams of which 2 didn't even make the ILT over 2 teams that did.

Look, we Cornell fans are used to getting screwed by the committee, so let's just hope that Princeton kicks our butt Saturday, and then we can all go to the Fall Creek House, and drown our sorrows while toasting the committee for sticking it to us again, all the while wondering why we ever thought the selection process might by some miracle be fair to the Ivy League.
Sorry about my Cynicism.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I just can’t see why it can’t be 6 Ivy league teams.

Then that’s 5 At Large.
And Rutgers with an At Large.
And UVA with an At large.
Lastly, one of ND, OSU, Duke as last in.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:34 pm

Sorry about my Cynicism.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Then that’s 5 At Large.
+1 - winner of ND/Duke game gets in
suitcase10

Post by suitcase10 »

If Ohio st beats Rutgers in BiG10 tourney , their resume will be better than / as good as Rutgers.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

masondixonlax wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:51 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:34 pm

Sorry about my Cynicism.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Then that’s 5 At Large.
+1 - winner of ND/Duke game gets in
https://lacrossebucket.com/2022/04/26/2 ... ology-5-0/

Lacrosse Bucket has in their bracket
-6 Ivy teams
-3 B1Gs
-1ACC team, just UVA
-4 of the Ivy teams seeded
-UVA as a number 7
suitcase10

Post by suitcase10 »

Is Ohio St the only top 20 win for Rutgers ?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Rutgers is a lock in,
with a mid seeding in the NCAAs.
suitcase10

Post by suitcase10 »

Doesn’t seem like they should be
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

suitcase10 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:14 am Doesn’t seem like they should be
+1. If Ohio state beats them in B1G playoffs then Ohio state > Rutgers
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

masondixonlax wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:17 am
suitcase10 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:14 am Doesn’t seem like they should be
+1. If Ohio state beats them in B1G playoffs then Ohio state > Rutgers
Rutgers is a lock into the NCAAs,

if OSU beats them,
then OSU would knock out one the Ivy or ACC teams.
suitcase10

Post by suitcase10 »

Is there a metric where they measure the cumulative quality of a teams wins? I see a number of teams with a resume of worthless wins.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

suitcase10 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:34 am Is there a metric where they measure the cumulative quality of a teams wins? I see a number of teams with a resume of worthless wins.
I believe the Quality Win Factor provides this. See the last two columns here:

http://college.laxpower2.com/menx/rating01x.php

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”