Michigan 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Bacondoesstuff2

Re: Michigan 2022

Post by Bacondoesstuff2 »

Like a lot of programs, everyone thinks more of the program capabilities than it's current standing. Michigan on paper has everything you want in a school. I was one of many who thought they'd be kicking butt right away....but as we've seen, that doesn't happen. It takes time. The traditional Big10 teams that play lacrosse- Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan....i think everyone is probably expecting more from them because of resources they have. Ironically Maryland and Rutgers, who have less athletically than the 3 previously mentioned, are kicking butt.

Give Michigan some more time.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:44 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:26 am Also, as it relates to 2022 Michigan. I have to wonder about Conry's thought process with the schedule. The first seven games vs the last seven games. I understand the Big Ten sets the conference games. But to start your season with Bellarmine, Detroit Mercy, Holy Cross, Canisius, Cleveland State, Marquette, and Delaware......
The Delaware win was a good win, maybe the best MI
has looked.

i have no dog in the hunt, but Delaware is 6-5, including a loss to a Hofstra team that is ... not good.

Post by 1766 »

Bacondoesstuff2 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:32 pm Like a lot of programs, everyone thinks more of the program capabilities than it's current standing. Michigan on paper has everything you want in a school. I was one of many who thought they'd be kicking butt right away....but as we've seen, that doesn't happen. It takes time. The traditional Big10 teams that play lacrosse- Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan....i think everyone is probably expecting more from them because of resources they have. Ironically Maryland and Rutgers, who have less athletically than the 3 previously mentioned, are kicking butt.

Give Michigan some more time.
Maryland, and to a lesser extent Rutgers, have a better history than PSU, OSU. That probably plays into it. Lacrosse is an Olympic sport and there are real, tangible benefits to having B1G football program money, but the real support that makes the difference, is that from the alumni.

I'm guessing Michigan doesn't have a ton of alumni being such a neophyte. Contrast that with Rutgers. Next weekend against Penn St. you are likely to see 200+ ex players on the sidelines and in the stands. That is a big help for the program.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I know I have been critical of Michigan Lacrosse. And yes, star-rankings aren't always accurate. But still, regardless of results or how they look, Michigan Lacrosse is getting some fine talent. And yes, them still being very young may well be a factor. Next year, they will be more experienced. No, they should not fire Conry after this season. However, if Michigan, with the talent they ARE getting, can't do BOTH of the bellow by say, the end of 2024, them at least thinking about a possible change at the top(regardless of whether or not they make it) makes perfect sense. And if you think I am being too critical there, your standards aren't very high. By BOTH, I mean:

-finishing with at least ten victories
-finishing in the Big Ten top four going into the conference tournament

Don't get me wrong. I am cheering for Conry and hoping he gets it done.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Those are arbitrary markers.
Maybe they pass by Penn State and others in the B1G
hierarchy, maybe they do not.

Its going to take lots of work and luck just to get past
Penn State.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

It is Senior Day in Ann Arbor. I could be wrong. But, for some reason, I am smelling, win or lose, Michigan playing some of their best lacrosse so far this season and giving Rutgers quite a battle.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:22 am It is Senior Day in Ann Arbor. I could be wrong. But, for some reason, I am smelling, win or lose, Michigan playing some of their best lacrosse so far this season and giving Rutgers quite a battle.

I smelled it! A tremendous comeback by Michigan! Oh, so close. And, while moral victories shouldn’t totally be accepted, could today have been:

-a sign of what soon is to come for Michigan Lacrosse?
-a confidence-builder for the near-future?
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Watched the Michigan-Rutgers game today. Hard to believe that Justin Brown,the freshman from Half Hollow Hills (L.I.) is a lacrosse neophyte. :o
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

wahoomurf wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:42 pm Watched the Michigan-Rutgers game today. Hard to believe that Justin Brown,the freshman from Half Hollow Hills (L.I.) is a lacrosse neophyte. :o
It was also hard to believe how Rutgers did not put the game away before the fourth quarter craziness. They were in control the entire first half. Michigan could not score in similar fashion to prior Big 10 games. Then, two poles scored in the third for Michigan and after a few other goals, Michigan’s face off man had a massive solo effort with a goal to bring it to one. That one seemed to get things going for Michigan. If Michigan is going to win a Big 10 game, they are going to need to score other than the fourth quarter. That pre-conference scheduling stunt did no favors to Michigan’s offense which seems to take too long to figure out what is going on. Goals came easy and often against what Anish referred to as Conry’s “cupcake supreme” early schedule. Big 10 play is a different ball game.
a fan

Post by a fan »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:19 pm If Michigan is going to win a Big 10 game, they are going to need to score other than the fourth quarter.
Conry has 4 Big Ten wins so far....
LongIslandLacks

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:09 pm
LongIslandLacks wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:19 pm If Michigan is going to win a Big 10 game, they are going to need to score other than the fourth quarter.
Yes, and a .167 success rate in conference in his career as HC. If Michigan is going to win a Big 10 game in the future, they are going to need to score other than the fourth quarter.
a fan

Post by a fan »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:22 pm
Yes, and a .167 success rate in conference in his career as HC. If Michigan is going to win a Big 10 game in the future, they are going to need to score other than the fourth quarter.
Meh. I think they can get it done only scoring in the fourth quarter.
LongIslandLacks

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:10 pm
LongIslandLacks wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:22 pm
Meh. I think they can get it done only scoring in the fourth quarter.
Let’s see what happens this evening. These two teams will meet again in two weeks. Michigan needs at least one win.
LongIslandLacks

Actually, they meet again in one week. Yikes!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Michigan, as I have said, has lots of good, young talent and continues to show promise. But another slow start got them again.
LongIslandLacks

Michigan started the season 7-0. They ended 7-7. Too many games in the latter half spotting an opponent a significant number of goals without any scoring threat offensively. Few positive coaching moves today against the Buckeyes. Coach was slow to adjust. Even the decision to change goalies came too late.
a fan

Post by a fan »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:18 pm Michigan started the season 7-0. They ended 7-7. Too many games in the latter half spotting an opponent a significant number of goals without any scoring threat offensively. Few positive coaching moves today against the Buckeyes. Coach was slow to adjust. Even the decision to change goalies came too late.
So you think the reason they lost by 2 against the #10 team in the Country was Game Day Coaching?
LongIslandLacks

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:57 pm
LongIslandLacks wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:18 pm Michigan started the season 7-0. They ended 7-7. Too many games in the latter half spotting an opponent a significant number of goals without any scoring threat offensively. Few positive coaching moves today against the Buckeyes. Coach was slow to adjust. Even the decision to change goalies came too late.
So you think the reason they lost by 2 against the #10 team in the Country was Game Day Coaching?
Yea. They seem unprepared defensively at the start. He left in a SSDM who was victimized way too many times. Then, they too late GK change. They are out coaches in league play in my humble opinion. Another nice effort in Q4 but you don’t get a winning season built in Q4 comebacks. What’s your take about why they lost every game in the conference and will likely end with a losing record after a 7-0 start?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:57 pm
I’ll wade in :)

I do not, no.
I thought OSU let up a bit once they got the lead.

But also, MI did show good athleticism and ball movement
in Q4.
MI looked much closer to being a top tier B1G team in that
4th quarter.
Get in some more good athletes, and maybe these games go
MI’s way next year.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:01 pm What’s your take about why they lost every game in the conference and will likely end with a losing record after a 7-0 start?
Jimmys and Joes.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”