Coaching Hot Seats

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Coaching Hot Seats

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:58 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:39 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:23 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:19 pm While I hope things work out for him, I am wondering what Jason Miller's status is at St. John's. Yes, he is a hard worker and loves his program. Yes, St. John's is a very hard sell for talent, due mostly to the area they are in and it being mostly a commuter school. But still, they are in a region that produces so much talent. Including loads and loads of under the radar players. Should they, regardless of what they have working against them, be doing a bit better?
I don't think St. John's cares. If they did they probably would have looked to move on after the former team captain nearly disemboweled his roommate. If you're winning titles you can probably look past a disemboweling or two but when you only win two games a year you'd think that'd give them cover to make the switch after just a single disemboweling.
Not to disembowel your disemboweling post but I think that if the disemboweler was still an active player than one disembowelment is the limit but since the disemboweler was already graduated and no longer in the program I think they would have to have two disembowelments to can the coach. Of course the irony is that the first time they were a varsity team they had a rape situation and shut down the program.
Fair enough. To be clear I'm not blaming the coach for what happened. But it just seems like the sort of incident where the admin would throw their hands up and say ok it's probably time to start fresh here. Don't think anyone would blame them for doing so. Feel like all bets are off when someone gets disemboweled on campus.
Well, to be entirely fair, a disembowelment isn’t like almost losing to Mount Saint Mary’s at home, a true firing offense. We need to have some proper perspective here.

Just sayin’ ….

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Bacondoesstuff2

Post by Bacondoesstuff2 »

I would Hope Holy Cross gives coach a little more rope than 2 years. I think most schools are just happy to have a program that isn't in news for wrong reasons and not embarrassing themselves. Sometimes things happen.

I think SJU is top 5 hardest programs to recruit for in D1.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

LacrosseFan33 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:35 am This feel right so far? Any additions?

Hot Seat
Chris Gabrielli - Providence
Travis Johnson - NJIT

Warming Up
Tambroni - Penn State
Jason Miller - St Johns
JJ Reppert - Holy Cross

I'd move Miller to the hot seat...Add Mason Poli and Jon Basti to warming up....
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:43 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:58 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:39 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:23 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:19 pm While I hope things work out for him, I am wondering what Jason Miller's status is at St. John's. Yes, he is a hard worker and loves his program. Yes, St. John's is a very hard sell for talent, due mostly to the area they are in and it being mostly a commuter school. But still, they are in a region that produces so much talent. Including loads and loads of under the radar players. Should they, regardless of what they have working against them, be doing a bit better?
I don't think St. John's cares. If they did they probably would have looked to move on after the former team captain nearly disemboweled his roommate. If you're winning titles you can probably look past a disemboweling or two but when you only win two games a year you'd think that'd give them cover to make the switch after just a single disemboweling.
Not to disembowel your disemboweling post but I think that if the disemboweler was still an active player than one disembowelment is the limit but since the disemboweler was already graduated and no longer in the program I think they would have to have two disembowelments to can the coach. Of course the irony is that the first time they were a varsity team they had a rape situation and shut down the program.
Fair enough. To be clear I'm not blaming the coach for what happened. But it just seems like the sort of incident where the admin would throw their hands up and say ok it's probably time to start fresh here. Don't think anyone would blame them for doing so. Feel like all bets are off when someone gets disemboweled on campus.
Well, to be entirely fair, a disembowelment isn’t like almost losing to Mount Saint Mary’s at home, a true firing offense. We need to have some proper perspective here.

Just sayin’ ….

DocBarrister
Doc - go back to the JHU thread, we have no tolerance for sarcasm here. (even though it was really , really funny)
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Bacondoesstuff2 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:31 am I would Hope Holy Cross gives coach a little more rope than 2 years. I think most schools are just happy to have a program that isn't in news for wrong reasons and not embarrassing themselves. Sometimes things happen.

I think SJU is top 5 hardest programs to recruit for in D1.
Absolutely to all of that! In fact, St. John's, despite also being in a hotbed for hoops talent and having some tradition, is a much harder sell for talent than people think.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:49 am
LacrosseFan33 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:35 am This feel right so far? Any additions?

Hot Seat
Travis Johnson - NJIT

Warming Up
Tambroni - Penn State
Jason Miller - St Johns
JJ Reppert - Holy Cross

I'd move Miller to the hot seat...Add Mason Poli and Jon Basti to warming up....
Hot Seat
Travis Johnson - NJIT
Jason Miller - St Johns

Warming Up
Tambroni - Penn State
JJ Reppert - Holy Cross
Mason Poli - Quinnipiac (4th season | 15-24)
Jon Basti - Sacred Heart (9th season |41-94)
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Bad taste for a thread. If you want to put these men by name on the hot seat, you should have to put your own name attached as well. I have no skin in the game to any of these programs but if I had a son who played for any of these programs, it would be tough to read.
Atticus

Post by Atticus »

+1 especially since none of these people knows sh*t from shinola, as they say. Anyone player or recruit would be wise to ignore this speculation completely.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Atticus wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:39 pm Anyone player or recruit would be wise to ignore this speculation completely.
Well, duh. Anyone with half a brain would do well to avoid these boards altogether, yet here we are.

That said, these are well-compensated individuals in high(ish)-profile jobs. Threads like this are part of the territory. If they can't handle a speculative thread like this (and let's not kid ourselves - they'll never see this thread), they should lay down their stick (and forgo their paychecks) and become accountants.

And if a player or recruit isn't concerned about the job security of their coach who's gone 1-21 over the past two seasons, they should probably start paying better attention.

EDIT: I should add, there's been nothing mean-spirited or hateful in this discussion at all. You want to witness a cesspool of vitriol, much of it directed at the HC, go visit the JHU or SU threads. Hell, go back a couple of years and review the crap spewed in those threads directed at their (now former) NC-winning coaches.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

NElaxtalent wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:35 pm
cherrylax wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:10 pm
NElaxtalent wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:54 pm Gotta think Chris Gabrielle, in his 10th year at Providence, has to be squarely in the crosshairs. For a small D1 school their athletic department is excellent (ie hockey is basketball, soccer), and they have built the program amazing facilities (both field/stadium as well as locker room) and seemingly have regressed on-field the past 4-5 years while High Point, Richmond, Utah, Jacksonville, St Joe's & BU etc have steadily improved.

Have heard PC put big $$$ into the last contract, would think they are looking for a better ROI than sub .500 lacrosse.
Could probably say the same thing at SHU. 5-25 in the past three years. School has put major dollars into athletics and is building a brand new hockey facility.
PC is in the Big East and a Top 10 D1 hockey & basketball school. Different level athletic department financially & expectation-wise.
Excuse me but are you actually suggesting that providence is a top ten college basketball school? Because that might be one of the most absurd claims I’ve yet seen on this site.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

LacrosseFan33 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:56 pm
Sidelinehorn! wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:49 am

Hot Seat
Travis Johnson - NJIT

Warming Up
Tambroni - Penn State
Jason Miller - St Johns
JJ Reppert - Holy Cross

Hot Seat
Travis Johnson - NJIT
Jason Miller - St Johns

Warming Up
Tambroni - Penn State
JJ Reppert - Holy Cross
Mason Poli - Quinnipiac (4th season | 15-24)
Jon Basti - Sacred Heart (9th season |41-94)
I like Mason Poli at Q-piac.
If they don’t want him there, there are plenty of places
that would take Poli.

He should recruit heavily in SE PA.
Think Luke Wierman.
And more specifically, Poli’s roots are the ChesMont league,
plenty of good recruits to choose from — in addition to Wierman,
there’s Jacob Greiner with Jax, Jack Mulcahy Drexel, McNulty at
Loyola, for AA level talent out of the ChesMont.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

NYterp09 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:04 am
NElaxtalent wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:54 pm Gotta think Chris Gabrielle, in his 10th year at Providence, has to be squarely in the crosshairs. For a small D1 school their athletic department is excellent (ie hockey is basketball, soccer), and they have built the program amazing facilities (both field/stadium as well as locker room) and seemingly have regressed on-field the past 4-5 years while High Point, Richmond, Utah, Jacksonville, St Joe's & BU etc have steadily improved.

Have heard PC put big $$$ into the last contract, would think they are looking for a better ROI than sub .500 lacrosse.
Could probably say the same thing at SHU. 5-25 in the past three years. School has put major dollars into athletics and is building a brand new hockey facility.
PC is in the Big East and a Top 10 D1 hockey & basketball school. Different level athletic department financially & expectation-wise.
Excuse me but are you actually suggesting that providence is a top ten college basketball school? Because that might be one of the most absurd claims I’ve yet seen on this site.
They have a long basketball history going back to Rick Pitino and Billy Donovan. This year they were in the Top 10 and a #4 seed in the NCAA tournament, so yes they are relevant and the athletic department "cares" about a winning basketball program. Whether they are consistently Top 10 wasn't my point, it's that in the sports they invest into, they want results.... They've invested heavily into lacrosse WITHOUT results.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

ICGrad wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:52 pm EDIT: I should add, there's been nothing mean-spirited or hateful in this discussion at all. You want to witness a cesspool of vitriol, much of it directed at the HC, go visit the JHU or SU threads. Hell, go back a couple of years and review the crap spewed in those threads directed at their (now former) NC-winning coaches.
This is Loyola thread erasure
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

NElaxtalent wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:20 am

They have a long basketball history going back to Rick Pitino and Billy Donovan. This year they were in the Top 10 and a #4 seed in the NCAA tournament, so yes they are relevant and the athletic department "cares" about a winning basketball program. Whether they are consistently Top 10 wasn't my point, it's that in the sports they invest into, they want results.... They've invested heavily into lacrosse WITHOUT results.
Hockey won a NC in 2015 as well....
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

courtdog wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:39 pm Bad taste for a thread. If you want to put these men by name on the hot seat, you should have to put your own name attached as well. I have no skin in the game to any of these programs but if I had a son who played for any of these programs, it would be tough to read.
really? i'd love to know what people say about my sons program or prospective program. this is a lacrosse discussion forum - it's a topic of discussion. coaches in pro sports get fired all the time - d1 athletics is no different.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Breschi seat getting warm?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

There's already a separate thread about that, and in any case the answer is no.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Understand your point about the investment in lacrosse, but Providence is not, and never has been, a top 10 D1 basketball program. Even during the Pitino days they were at best the fourth best program in the Big East behind Georgetown, Syracuse, and St. John’s (maybe behind Villanova as well). I’m not sure they’re even top-30 in terms of programs.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:56 pm

Also not a top 10 hockey program. Agreed won the NC a few years back, but it is a top 25 hockey program in a normal year.

Understand your point about the investment in lacrosse, but Providence is not, and never has been, a top 10 D1 basketball program. Even during the Pitino days they were at best the fourth best program in the Big East behind Georgetown, Syracuse, and St. John’s (maybe behind Villanova as well). I’m not sure they’re even top-30 in terms of programs.
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

Unknown Participant wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:26 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:56 pm

Also not a top 10 hockey program. Agreed won the NC a few years back, but it is a top 25 hockey program in a normal year.

Let’s not forget the final four with Billy Donavan and Delray Brooks.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”