D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Virginia v. UNC 4/14 @ 8:00 PM

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

“Geyserbach.” Learn the name.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:14 pm “Geyserbach.” Learn the name.
She consistently says "Wurzenberger" too
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:16 pm
I’m sure it says something negative about me, but it drives me crazy. She’s done enough ACC games this year to know the names. Just a little respect?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

I love that 3 women are doing this broadcast...but dont like the yelling

[Stay off my grass]
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:19 pm
I’m sure it says something negative about me, but it drives me crazy. She’s done enough ACC games this year to know the names. Just a little respect?
You're not alone
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:19 pm
I don't think it does. I imagine most people find her irritating. The yelling, the mispronunciations, the cluelessness as to what's happening in the game at times. You know it irritates parents and relatives watching the game each time she butchers someone's name. I get the impression that she does minimal or no pre-game research and thinks she can wing it with enthusiasm and cliches. Your reaction is normal for anyone who expects a decent play-by-play call. I always have to turn the sound down on her.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:24 pm I love that 3 women are doing this broadcast...but dont like the yelling

[Stay off my grass]
I enjoy Sheehan Stanwick-Burch and Dana Boyle. I could do without the play-by-play lady who is fairly clueless.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

I follow field hockey and my alma mater pretty closely. The Yeller seems to be the doyenne of women’s collegiate athletics. Awful in fall, too.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

So, UVA is now in a "must win" situation against Va Tech next Thursday.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:12 pm So, UVA is now in a "must win" situation against Va Tech next Thursday.
UVA just does not have enough offense. It's Clark and Mcgovern thats it. VT has some depth scoring. UVA loses
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:52 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:24 pm I love that 3 women are doing this broadcast...but dont like the yelling

[Stay off my grass]
I enjoy Sheehan Stanwick-Burch and Dana Boyle. I could do without the play-by-play lady who is fairly clueless.

"the play-by-play lady"? Wow, that's disrespectful. :( Leah Secundo is her name. I agree she could do better with names, but do we show that same energy when a guy makes those name mistakes?

Think about it before you answer.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:01 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:47 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:22 am ACCX, I think, in Charlottesville. Should be an entertaining romp, right?

HAHAHA...surely you jest? This will be as Hawkwind(look them up) once sang "Assault and Battery"! This might be entertaining for a quarter, maybe a quarter and a half...after that, the Piper will be paid! You're asking a Tier 4-5 team to raise their level of play to beat a Tier 1 team. Possible, Yes. Likely, Hell no.

I don't care for either team, but I do like Taylor Moreno(UNC) and Rachel Clark(Virginia). That's why I'll watch for a bit. UVa is still a solid program, but they are not on an upward trend anymore.
Not sure I agree with you on this.....maybe "used to be"

If they fell out of the top 25, I would agree with you. However, until that happens they are still a solid program. After tonight's loss to UNC, they are 7-8 overall. I hope they are out of the top 20 in the next poll along with Notre Dame.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:54 am
@inthe8m wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:52 pm I enjoy Sheehan Stanwick-Burch and Dana Boyle. I could do without the play-by-play lady who is fairly clueless.
"the play-by-play lady"? Wow, that's disrespectful. :( Leah Secundo is her name. I agree she could do better with names, but do we show that same energy when a guy makes those name mistakes?

Yes--by all means let's show respect to a play-by-play announcer who routinely and blithely butchers players names because she does little to no pre-game prep. Not that that's disrespectful or anything. And what difference does gender make? If a play-by-play announcer routinely screws up players names, they should be called out, whether they are female or male. If guys don't call out guys for name butchering due to bias or favoritism or sexism or whatever the frick, that's their problem. It has nothing to do with the Clueless Yeller being appropriately criticized in this thread.

Pronunciation sheets are available to any play-by-play announcer who wants to do their job correctly and professionally.

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:05 pm16-9 UNC.
Pretty close.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

[Stay off my grass]

I think I would, if the "play by play guy" mashed the names of players two-thirds of the way through a season in which the "guy" has broadcast several games with the teams and names at issue. Sure. The amount of grief on these threads for Anish, Quint and Paul Carcaterra is legion and constant. But they seem to at least get the kids' names right.

Yesterday's UVA v. Duke men's game: viewtopic.php?f=290&t=3474&start=20
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

[Stay off my grass]

I just try to tune her out....I turn down the volume. I miss the insight that Sheehan and Dana provide, but I just don't like the yelling at every play. And before you ask, I don't like the yelling in male play by play announcers either. It is all so fake and unnecessary.

Like the boy who called wolf....if everything is worthy of yelling, nothing is.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Then you'd like Ryan Boyle on the mlax side. Another very knowledgeable Boyle announcer who brings a ton of insight to the broadcast and virtually no hype. Sheehan and Dana are the best in the business for my money. I might feel a little differently if Ms. Downunda were still around but perhaps she's gone back to the land of plenty where women glow and men plunder. Haven't seen hide nor hair of her in a loooong time.

Had to like Moreno's long rainbow outlet passes yesterday...pretty, and dropped the gold right in the bucket and the end.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:27 am Then you'd like Ryan Boyle on the mlax side. Another very knowledgeable Boyle announcer who brings a ton of insight to the broadcast and virtually no hype. Sheehan and Dana are the best in the business for my money. I might feel a little differently if Ms. Downunda were still around but perhaps she's gone back to the land of plenty where women glow and men plunder. Haven't seen hide nor hair of her in a loooong time.

Had to like Moreno's long rainbow outlet passes yesterday...pretty, and dropped the gold right in the bucket and the end.

Guess you missed her coming up to almost midfield, throwing a terrible pass, and suddenly having to get back to cover the empty net. I respect Taylor's ability, but I hate it when Goalies try show their "athleticism". Play your position and play it well...that's the best way to help your team. Goalies have a role in the clear, but going past the restraining line should not be part of that.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nope, didn't miss that one and yes, it almost cost her one. We think differently on this one, I'm okay with a GK who is a good stick and athletic enough to pull it off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8-Ef3NGmJw :D
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:47 am
DMac wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:27 am Then you'd like Ryan Boyle on the mlax side. Another very knowledgeable Boyle announcer who brings a ton of insight to the broadcast and virtually no hype. Sheehan and Dana are the best in the business for my money. I might feel a little differently if Ms. Downunda were still around but perhaps she's gone back to the land of plenty where women glow and men plunder. Haven't seen hide nor hair of her in a loooong time.

Guess you missed her coming up to almost midfield, throwing a terrible pass, and suddenly having to get back to cover the empty net. I respect Taylor's ability, but I hate it when Goalies try show their "athleticism". Play your position and play it well...that's the best way to help your team. Goalies have a role in the clear, but going past the restraining line should not be part of that.
The pass hit the player in the stick and she dropped it. It was not Taylor's fault and she might be the best athlete on the field, why would you not want to showcase this? When she comes out of the net and intercepts a pass due to her athleticism are you not OK with that?

I know Taylor EXTREMELY well as I coached her from 6th grade on up to UNC. I was also a goalie and I know goalies. Taylor is an athlete and she plays goalie like one.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”