Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:36 pm We should remember that these are personnel decisions ... so both parties have an interest in handling them discreetly. Particularly if there are unpleasant issues involved.
So she has been fired but it's being treated like a state secret? Sorry for the sarcasm but this sport treats injuries and firings with such clandestine carefulness. I understand being respectful of others privacy but it's a sport. Injuries and firings happen all the time. Why all the cloak and dagger for women's lacrosse?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:53 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:36 pm We should remember that these are personnel decisions ... so both parties have an interest in handling them discreetly. Particularly if there are unpleasant issues involved.
So she has been fired but it's being treated like a state secret? Sorry for the sarcasm but this sport treats injuries and firings with such clandestine carefulness. I understand being respectful of others privacy but it's a sport. Injuries and firings happen all the time. Why all the cloak and dagger for women's lacrosse?
It has only been two days since that rumor was posted. Termination of employment can often be thorough and have a lot of steps. If Hillier had signed a contract for a certain number of years I believe that could make the process more complex as well. Employers usually take every precautionary step necessary when terminating employees to minimize the chance of the terminated employee bringing a lawsuit for wrongful termination against the employer. I can't imagine any information would be released until things are confirmed and finalized.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:18 pm
It has only been two days since that rumor was posted. Termination of employment can often be thorough and have a lot of steps. If Hillier had signed a contract for a certain number of years I believe that could make the process more complex as well. Employers usually take every precautionary step necessary when terminating employees to minimize the chance of the terminated employee bringing a lawsuit for wrongful termination against the employer. I can't imagine any information would be released until things are confirmed and finalized.
Thanks for the info.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:24 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:18 pm
Thanks for the info.
No problem. I should also add that I don't have any personal knowledge of the situation nor do I know if she has been fired. But if that has what happened, that could be a likely reason nothing has officially been released yet.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Reference American (University) and their head coach firing situation a couple years ago. Big mess.
Anyway it shakes out, very unfortunate for all involved.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

tothedraw wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:37 pm Reference American (University) and their head coach firing situation a couple years ago. Big mess.
Speaking of AU, rumor has it they had to postpone their game today due to covid.
OuttaNowhereWregget

North's Toned Down Post-Goal Celebrations

I went searching but I couldn't find the original comment which was something along the lines of North doesn't celebrate after goals nearly as much as she used to. I agree with that observation as it has been very noticeable this season. I don't remember if any reasons were discussed after that comment (which I think DMac made?) but I have a theory. She doesn't celebrate as much because she, like Dr. Martin Luther King, has been to the mountain top. Regular season goals just don't compare to post season goals; to championship weekend goals; and finally, to goals scored that contribute to winning the national championship. We may see a little extra celebration next Saturday at Duke. I'm sure she will feel a range of emotions back at the Harvard of the South on ol' Koskinen where she played for two seasons. For some reason I don't know how much she enjoyed her time there. In any event, that's why I think she doesn't celebrate as much as she used to after scoring goals this season.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:10 pm
tothedraw wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:37 pm Reference American (University) and their head coach firing situation a couple years ago. Big mess.
Speaking of AU, rumor has it they had to postpone their game today due to covid.
I saw that COVID protocol was posted on their website as reason game was postponed.
Bart

Post by Bart »

8meterPA wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:51 am
I saw that COVID protocol was posted on their website as reason game was postponed.
It is worrisome that this trend may continue. Especially at this point in the season.
championxxx

Post by championxxx »

Also appears that GW is playing without their head coach today. They have an interim HC leading them versus George Mason today.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

championxxx wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:49 pm Also appears that GW is playing without their head coach today. They have an interim HC leading them versus George Mason today.
DC does appear to be a hotspot.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Carolina might have done BC a big favor by beating them and removing the number one ranking from their back. It might be a further kindness to BC if Carolina wins the ACC conference tournament. Anyone who has paid attention to the Tar Heels and their tendencies to choke in the NCAA tournament when they enter it highly touted or the favorite knows that scenario isn’t outside the realm of possibility.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Must have a very small roster.

Joe
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:49 pm

Joe
Agreed, it impacts much more with smaller rosters. It could also just be that all their goalies have it. I think most conference allow for postponement if there is no goalie available to play.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Joe
35 if roster is up to date. Who knows how many injuries so the actual number of available players could be less.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Bart wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:08 pm

Joe
35 if roster is up to date. Who knows how many injuries so the actual number of available players could be less.
Thanks, I am certain that is more of the factor than covid itself. Just compounds it.

Joe
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Current news is AU will play on Wed.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Taylor’s Takes

Taylor's Takes: Midseason Players of the Year and Early Tewaaraton Picks
WED APR 13 2022 | TAYLOR CUMMINGS

With less than two months to go in this year’s women’s lacrosse season, I’m trying to savor every opportunity I get to watch the superb talent on the field. It has truly been one of the most exciting collegiate seasons ever, in part because of the growth we’re seeing from players across Division I from month to month. That growth is leading to more parity between teams and closer matchups, which is so important for the development of our sport.

At this point in the season, fans are seeing more freshmen start to find their grooves and step up more consistently when called upon. Sophomores and juniors are looking far more comfortable in their upperclassmen roles and are becoming confident leaders on and off the field. From the super seniors and seniors playing the last few games of their collegiate careers, we’re witnessing an uptick in hustle plays, gritty performances and simple but joyous celebratory hugs with teammates. Knowing that the end is near is so hard for these players and makes every little moment more special.

While this point in the season is a positive turning point for some in terms of performance and confidence, others have been establishing themselves from the very first whistle of the 2022 season. End-of-year awards are months away from being announced, but there are a few frontrunners that have been leading their teams the entire season.

Below are my picks for midseason positional players of the year and my predictions for the Tewaaraton Award finalists. We will find out how accurate I am come May!

MIDSEASON ATTACKER OF THE YEAR
CHARLOTTE NORTH, BOSTON COLLEGE
Reigning Tewaaraton Award winner Charlotte North has had another season with highlight reel moments and is continuing to lead the charge for Boston College. With 69 points in just 12 games, North is consistently putting up big numbers on the offensive end and continues to draw the eyes of multiple defenders at once. Her presence on the draw circle has also improved this season, as she has snagged 87 draw controls for the Eagles so far. With a ton of personal veteran leadership and talented teammates alongside her, North looks primed to help BC make a run for it’s fifth straight Memorial Day Weekend appearance.

MIDSEASON MIDFIELDER OF THE YEAR
ALLY MASTROIANNI, NORTH CAROLINA
In my opinion, Mastroianni is the most solid two-way midfielder in Division I by a long shot. She is an integral part of UNC’s draw team, is a triple threat on the offensive end as a dodger, cutter and feeder, and can also handle any matchup on the defensive end. Her stat line is exactly what one would expect from a top two-way midfielder at this point in the season — 26 goals, five assists, 14 ground balls, three caused turnovers and 79 draw controls. Mastroianni is a veteran leader who will do anything her team needs to be successful and has been an integral part of UNC’s success thus far.

MIDSEASON DEFENDER OF THE YEAR
KATIE DETWILER, LOYOLA
Detwiler has had an exceptional season thus far and has been the key cog in Loyola’s defensive unit. She marks up on the nation’s best on a consistent basis and limits them with her pure athleticism, crafty well-timed checks and unrelenting pressure. Additionally, Detwiler plays a vital role on the draw circle for the Greyhounds and has helped them to regularly earn more possessions than their opponents. With 33 draw controls, 12 caused turnovers and nine ground balls, Detwiler has helped lead Loyola to one of its best seasons in recent memory.

MIDSEASON GOALIE OF THE YEAR
EMILY STERLING, MARYLAND
Sterling currently leads the nation with a save percentage of 56 percent and has combined for 25 saves in her last two games. With exceptionally quick hands and a fantastic ability to read shots low and high, she has helped the Terps improve from last year’s 7-5 record at this point last season to 11-1. Sterling is the backbone of Maryland’s defensive unit and has totaled 93 saves with a 7.23 goals against average. If the Terps are to return to the Final Four this May, Sterling continuing to play well will be of vital importance.

TAYLOR’S MIDSEASON TEWAARATON FINALISTS
Finalists listed in alphabetical order.​

Katie Detwiler, Loyola, Defense

Lauren Gilbert, Northwestern, Attack

Ally Mastroianni, North Carolina, Midfield

Charlotte North, Boston College, Attack

Jamie Ortega, North Carolina, Attack

TAYLOR’S TOP 10
1. North Carolina
2. Boston College
3. Northwestern
4. Syracuse
5. Maryland
6. Loyola
7. Duke
8. Stony Brook
9. Denver
10. Florida

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... aton-picks
Laxfan500

Re: Taylor’s Takes

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:47 pm Taylor's Takes: Midseason Players of the Year and Early Tewaaraton Picks
WED APR 13 2022 | TAYLOR CUMMINGS

With less than two months to go in this year’s women’s lacrosse season, I’m trying to savor every opportunity I get to watch the superb talent on the field. It has truly been one of the most exciting collegiate seasons ever, in part because of the growth we’re seeing from players across Division I from month to month. That growth is leading to more parity between teams and closer matchups, which is so important for the development of our sport.

At this point in the season, fans are seeing more freshmen start to find their grooves and step up more consistently when called upon. Sophomores and juniors are looking far more comfortable in their upperclassmen roles and are becoming confident leaders on and off the field. From the super seniors and seniors playing the last few games of their collegiate careers, we’re witnessing an uptick in hustle plays, gritty performances and simple but joyous celebratory hugs with teammates. Knowing that the end is near is so hard for these players and makes every little moment more special.

While this point in the season is a positive turning point for some in terms of performance and confidence, others have been establishing themselves from the very first whistle of the 2022 season. End-of-year awards are months away from being announced, but there are a few frontrunners that have been leading their teams the entire season.

Below are my picks for midseason positional players of the year and my predictions for the Tewaaraton Award finalists. We will find out how accurate I am come May!

MIDSEASON ATTACKER OF THE YEAR
CHARLOTTE NORTH, BOSTON COLLEGE
Reigning Tewaaraton Award winner Charlotte North has had another season with highlight reel moments and is continuing to lead the charge for Boston College. With 69 points in just 12 games, North is consistently putting up big numbers on the offensive end and continues to draw the eyes of multiple defenders at once. Her presence on the draw circle has also improved this season, as she has snagged 87 draw controls for the Eagles so far. With a ton of personal veteran leadership and talented teammates alongside her, North looks primed to help BC make a run for it’s fifth straight Memorial Day Weekend appearance.

MIDSEASON MIDFIELDER OF THE YEAR
ALLY MASTROIANNI, NORTH CAROLINA
In my opinion, Mastroianni is the most solid two-way midfielder in Division I by a long shot. She is an integral part of UNC’s draw team, is a triple threat on the offensive end as a dodger, cutter and feeder, and can also handle any matchup on the defensive end. Her stat line is exactly what one would expect from a top two-way midfielder at this point in the season — 26 goals, five assists, 14 ground balls, three caused turnovers and 79 draw controls. Mastroianni is a veteran leader who will do anything her team needs to be successful and has been an integral part of UNC’s success thus far.

MIDSEASON DEFENDER OF THE YEAR
KATIE DETWILER, LOYOLA
Detwiler has had an exceptional season thus far and has been the key cog in Loyola’s defensive unit. She marks up on the nation’s best on a consistent basis and limits them with her pure athleticism, crafty well-timed checks and unrelenting pressure. Additionally, Detwiler plays a vital role on the draw circle for the Greyhounds and has helped them to regularly earn more possessions than their opponents. With 33 draw controls, 12 caused turnovers and nine ground balls, Detwiler has helped lead Loyola to one of its best seasons in recent memory.

MIDSEASON GOALIE OF THE YEAR
EMILY STERLING, MARYLAND
Sterling currently leads the nation with a save percentage of 56 percent and has combined for 25 saves in her last two games. With exceptionally quick hands and a fantastic ability to read shots low and high, she has helped the Terps improve from last year’s 7-5 record at this point last season to 11-1. Sterling is the backbone of Maryland’s defensive unit and has totaled 93 saves with a 7.23 goals against average. If the Terps are to return to the Final Four this May, Sterling continuing to play well will be of vital importance.

TAYLOR’S MIDSEASON TEWAARATON FINALISTS
Finalists listed in alphabetical order.​

Katie Detwiler, Loyola, Defense

Lauren Gilbert, Northwestern, Attack

Ally Mastroianni, North Carolina, Midfield

Charlotte North, Boston College, Attack

Jamie Ortega, North Carolina, Attack

TAYLOR’S TOP 10
1. North Carolina
2. Boston College
3. Northwestern
4. Syracuse
5. Maryland
6. Loyola
7. Duke
8. Stony Brook
9. Denver
10. Florida

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... aton-picks
Feel like Taylor thinks if you don’t take the draw or are not on draw circle you have little value.. I don’t feel North has been clutch in any games this year ? Maybe Denver but that game was cut short…Ortega was clutch for Cuse - but again doesn’t take draw :/ Not sure I agree with AM as MOY but I don’t think there are a lot of other middies that have great numbers to choose from? Suprised didn’t pick Emma T for D but again…draw circle numbers . And is anyone suprised she has a pick from Maryland in there . Although I tht she would go with Cordingley.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Taylor’s Takes

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:43 pm is anyone suprised she has a pick from Maryland in there.
Taylor don’t go NO PLACE without her tortoise shell eyeglasses.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”