THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stupefied

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by stupefied »

Wheels wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:32 am
stupefied wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:26 am
Wheels wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:27 pm One thing JHU has going for it against UVA is that their style always keeps teams in games. They're going to take chances. No player on their teams has seen a shot he didn't think looked good, even from the bleachers behind the goal. Look at the scores of their wins:

11-8
12-11
15-14
14-13
13-11

In most of those games, the Wahoos trailed in the 4th quarter and made runs to win. Even that 11-8 Lehigh was close, and Lehigh was missing like 4 or 5 of their top offensive players.

Despite JHU's lack of size in the midfield compared to UVA's midfield, UVA is going to do enough stupid things to keep you all in the game. Lars also isn't exactly known to be a good tactician in-game, so you all don't need to worry about their adjustments too much.

It's going to be a close game. Hold off their inevitable 4th quarter run and you'll be in good shape.
I actually think Tiffany has pulled in the reins a bit and their players have become more disciplined. Their trio of stars such as Kraus , Aiken and Moore are distributing well and looking for good shots instead of just firing away. Believed coming into season that UVA was overrated because of heater skelter style but coming back from five down against ND D was most impressive. Hopkins somehow has to slow up the game and make it a slugfest because they are not winning a track meet with VA . The new shot clock has been good for the game but not necessarily for JHU style and personnel. Have the goalie and good enuff D when settled. Establishing the tempo is key, lose that and you lose the game
That's good assessment. I'd also add that you have to win face-offs or at least muck up the face-off enough to slow tempo. UVA has great wing play, not just from Conrad (but he makes the face-offs infinitely more dangerous). Lars loves to run off of face-off wins. JHU's been pretty good this year despite the youth at the FOGO. In UVA's multiple comebacks this season, they've really ignited those runs off of face-off wins. When Lars was at Brown, his face-off crew pretty much single handedly got them to the Final 4.
Very true. Want Conrad on my team , a beast on wing, he'll do anything to get a fo gb including grabbing poles with his off hand. Your wings might want to alert refs to that. JHU fans know team strengths and weaknesses but one stat sticks out to to me why UVA is succeeding and JHU struggling . In seven games , an up tempo UVA 110 turnovers and 137 caused turnovers, a more defensive minded JHU 113 turnovers, 106 caused turnovers. Would have thought those numbers would be reversed given styles.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

We need to see more of Zinn. This team needs a "motor" who gets things going, even sometimes in a frantic way. Hopkins needs a two way middie who can be disruptive between the lines, can get you the ball and generate instant offense. Two or three plays a game, even if he doesn't score a ton of goals, can make a huge difference. Zinn is that guy.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Old Lax Fan

Post by Old Lax Fan »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:10 pm
houndace1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:51 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:18 pm But, at least it is warm in Carolina.

Well, they COULD provide better field conditions next time too.

Screw it, drop both Syracuse and Carolina.

Add Navy and Notre Dame.

I don’t want the Blue A-holes. Rudest, ill-informed fan base I’ve ever seen.
this is a serious question but i assume you mean Duke?
Absolutely.

2008. Semifinal. Pregame. Some obnoxious young no-nothing wearing DBA paraphernalia practically ran over me, said disparaging things about Hopkins, who are they?

My reply: you’re about to find out.

The best part of that story to me was finding out how both teams went back to the hotel. Hopkins was checking back in.

DBA was hurriedly evacuating their rooms, well beyond checkout time obviously. They had to leave and had assumed they were staying for the whole weekend.

Wrong.

True story.
Correct me if I am wrong, but before the 2007 Championship game began, the Hopkins players were lined up shoulder-to-shoulder waiting for the game to begin. Duke was no where in sight. Duke kept 48,000 people waiting for five minutes before coming onto the field. Then, instead of jogging, they sauntered out of the locker room.

Was there some legitimate reason for Duke not being on the field, or was this just boorish behavior?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

You are not wrong as to the facts. Duke was out in their black shooting shirts and stood for the national anthem and then left the field and everyone was going What the heck? Hopkins had to stand there and partner pass for over 5 minutes. The steam was literally coming out of Petro's head. Then they came out dual file to U2's "City of Blinding Lights" But that was not boorish behavior by Duke's fans or players - it was poor sportsmanship on the part of Danowski. Even though Duke got Nifong'd and screwed the year before you can't give one team preferential treatment in a national championship situation. It also backfired big time when Rabil and Byrne hooked up to stick one in their ear 12 seconds or so in the game.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Hopkins closes as the favorite today on 5Dimes.

Virginia +1.5, -125
Johns Hopkins: -1.5, -115

Money line: UVA+155/JHU-195
O/U: 23.5
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Not here: http://laxbytes.com/2019/binmenstats/xjhu.php

But that's why they have to play the game.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:49 am Not here: http://laxbytes.com/2019/binmenstats/xjhu.php

People put their money where their mouth is. I like computer models as much as anyone (see where I went to school), but I'm going to go ahead and say a 0.13 projected differential between two teams is not significant in any meaningful way. That's essentially a coin flip.

EDIT: This same model has Michigan favored over Hopkins. I need to say no more. :lol: This Michigan team is not good at all. If Hopkins drops that one, this is the worst Hopkins team of my lifetime by a wide margin.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:51 am You are not wrong as to the facts. Duke was out in their black shooting shirts and stood for the national anthem and then left the field and everyone was going What the heck? Hopkins had to stand there and partner pass for over 5 minutes. The steam was literally coming out of Petro's head. Then they came out dual file to U2's "City of Blinding Lights" But that was not boorish behavior by Duke's fans or players - it was poor sportsmanship on the part of Danowski. Even though Duke got Nifong'd and screwed the year before you can't give one team preferential treatment in a national championship situation. It also backfired big time when Rabil and Byrne hooked up to stick one in their ear 12 seconds or so in the game.
While I yield to none in my disgust at Nifong, Duke did not get Nifonged; it was the rape case victims that got Nifonged. The Duke Lax team got Duked by a hate group and a cowardly administration.

Admin: If you want to delete this post, I promise not to whine.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:52 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:49 am Not here: http://laxbytes.com/2019/binmenstats/xjhu.php

People put their money where their mouth is. I like computer models as much as anyone (see where I went to school), but I'm going to go ahead and say a 0.13 projected differential between two teams is not significant in any meaningful way. That's essentially a coin flip.

EDIT: This same model has Michigan favored over Hopkins. I need to say no more. :lol: This Michigan team is not good at all. If Hopkins drops that one, this is the worst Hopkins team of my lifetime by a wide margin.
I like prediction markets, but they work best when you have lots of informed, disinterested players. With small-time sports, the spread is most useful in equalizing the betting. And if JHU lax fans are more likely to bet with their hearts, the spread will reflect that.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:23 am
While I yield to none in my disgust at Nifong, Duke did not get Nifonged; it was the rape case victims that got Nifonged.
(We're way off topic for this thread.)

If you google the "Duke lacrosse" today, guess what about half of the results on the first page are related to.

I absolutely despise Duke. As much as anyone. Even I will say that those poor kids and that entire program did not and do not deserve what they are still going through from that situation.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
molo

Post by molo »

It appears that the wind, which will make feel somewhere around freezing when Denver plays Towson at noon, will have abated by 6, leaving us with a sunny, almost 50 degree face-off at Homewood.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

Homer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:01 am I guess I can reconcile myself to getting behind Petro vs. Corrigan once a year. Reintroduces a certain mano a mano element we haven't had regularly since Tierney went to Denver. We can restart the Boorish Coach Behavior thread here on Fanlax...

As for the other ACC team, that's a cool story about 2008. You know they're 4-0 against us since then and have won those games by an average score of 17-8? Be competitive and then maybe you can be snide. I don't really love the school either, but that's a damn good program.
I would imagine if you do, indeed, pick up ND for your schedule, there won't be any on-field mikes.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:51 am You are not wrong as to the facts. Duke was out in their black shooting shirts and stood for the national anthem and then left the field and everyone was going What the heck? Hopkins had to stand there and partner pass for over 5 minutes. The steam was literally coming out of Petro's head. Then they came out dual file to U2's "City of Blinding Lights" But that was not boorish behavior by Duke's fans or players - it was poor sportsmanship on the part of Danowski. Even though Duke got Nifong'd and screwed the year before you can't give one team preferential treatment in a national championship situation. It also backfired big time when Rabil and Byrne hooked up to stick one in their ear 12 seconds or so in the game.
While I yield to none in my disgust at Nifong, Duke did not get Nifonged; it was the rape case victims that got Nifonged. The Duke Lax team got Duked by a hate group and a cowardly administration.

I don't think the FanLax admin cares about deleting posts. And yes, the Duke admin showed its true colors. But, lets keep in mind that someone on the team hired an ugly, drugged out "stripper" for a spring break party. Not a good choice, is being kind. Who really got pumped to see Crystal dancing? It's not like they hired the girls from American Wedding (pie).
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:51 am

I don't think the FanLax admin cares about deleting posts. And yes, the Duke admin showed its true colors. But, lets keep in mind that someone on the team hired an ugly, drugged out "stripper" for a spring break party. Not a good choice, is being kind. Who really got pumped to see Crystal dancing? It's not like they hired the girls from American Wedding (pie).
Don’t forget the Gang of 88.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

rasheed

Post by rasheed »

“Do enough stupid things...”

God I wish Conrad, Aitken and crew could read this turd...
But they probably don’t know how to read...
If only UVa had players who could spell and add...

Good luck tonight.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

rasheed wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:08 pm “Do enough stupid things...”

God I wish Conrad, Aitken and crew could read this turd...
But they probably don’t know how to read...
If only UVa had players who could spell and add...

Good luck tonight.
That’s why they are at UVa.

Always good to avoid legal trouble too.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Lady Jays now up to 8-2 and 1-0 with their B1G opener win over Rutgers today.

8-2 > 4-3

They look very good this year. Hope they make a great playoff run during May Madness.

W
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Penn and OSU got the top 10ish wins they needed today and terps are running the heels out of College Park making todays game for us that much bigger. Really don't want to have to win both games at College Park/Penn State and or have to win the b1g just to make the ncaa tournament. Shouldn't be too much to ask of a Hopkins team to win 1/4 against cuse/towson/uva/loyola.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:39 pm Penn and OSU got the top 10ish wins they needed today and terps are running the heels out of College Park making todays game for us that much bigger. Really don't want to have to win both games at College Park/Penn State and or have to win the b1g just to make the ncaa tournament. Shouldn't be too much to ask of a Hopkins team to win 1/4 against cuse/towson/uva/loyola.
Also, strength of schedule took a hit with UNC and Princeton (and Towson) losing today.

Wins over UD, MSM, UNC and Princeton just doesn’t look like much so far. Better than the alternative of course.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”